PDA

View Full Version : Our fans need to chill out...

CJDAWG85
09-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Remember back in '11 when Russell was the back up to Relf and everyone and their mom was screaming for Russell? Everyone wanted the better passing QB... 2 years later we wanna go back to that offense... I agree that Russell is the better passing QB and that Dak is better fit for Mullen's offense, but right now our coaching staff needs to get it together. We have no identity on offense and that needs to change. We have enough talent to change that and I think our coaches realize how vital that is now. Mullen has done a great job with our program and he will continue to keep it headed in the right direction. Remember, we were NOT supposed to beat OKST. They were supposed to blow us out. Yes it's frustrating that we had a really good chance to win that game, but the season isn't lost. Our D looks light years better than last year and I have a good feeling the offense will get it together. If not, Dan needs to make a change. We need a packed house Saturday and continue showing our support.

codeDawg
09-03-2013, 10:13 AM
I think everyone's frustration is that for the first time in a long time we can't blame talent for what happened Saturday. We have (arguably) the most talent we have ever had on a MSU team, and our coaching looks like crap. Our offensive scheme looked outdated, slow, and unable to adjust.

I hope Dan took it personally and digs deep to sack up and figure it out. He's getting passed in the offensive side of the ball schematically. It's time for him to hire a young big-shot OC to bring in some fresh ideas.

I believe Dan has what it takes to be a great head coach. What he has done from a program building perspective has been great. The difference between a good coach and a great one is the ability to see what isn't working and adjust, even if it is yourself. Being dogmatic instead of pragmatic was Croom's downfall.

CJDAWG85
09-03-2013, 10:18 AM
I agree with you. Just uncalled for that so many people forget all he has done since '09 and want him gone. People are quick to forget the Slytanic disaster and going 3-9 or 4-8. LK needs to step up or be replaced.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Why chill out? We looked terrible...and the main reason is because our head coach who is supposed to be able to coach offense maybe can not coach offense for shit. How is that not reason to freak out?

Dawgface
09-03-2013, 10:24 AM
And on top of that we are 1-6 in our last 7 games. It's how we are trending that have most of us upset.

fishwater99
09-03-2013, 10:26 AM
What??
The coaching staff had all off-season to get the offense together and right the ship from last year's collapse and they failed miserably.
Nothing will change this year, it's gonna be tough to win 5 games.

Dan is now 0-16 vs Top 20 Teams.

Coach34
09-03-2013, 10:26 AM
I think the biggest problem is that a good many fans actually thought we would have a good offense with Russell at QB, and reality has hit.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-03-2013, 10:28 AM
I didn't think it would be very good...but I didn't think it would give me flashbacks to Sylvester Croom.

CJDAWG85
09-03-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm not saying to not be upset... I was very disappointed leaving the game... Out of the last 7 games... how many of those teams were ranked?

Bama
A&M
LSU
NW
OKST

Not saying that's an excuse, because I feel like we should have beat NW and OKST. Not only do the coaches (offensively) need to get it together, but our players need to quit shooting themselves in the foot on the field.

fishwater99
09-03-2013, 10:32 AM
I agree with you. Just uncalled for that so many people forget all he has done since '09 and want him gone. People are quick to forget the Slytanic disaster and going 3-9 or 4-8. LK needs to step up or be replaced.

Pretty sure that it's Dan's offense and he calls the plays, are you ready to replace him?

How will you feel when we win 4 or 5 games this year?

CJDAWG85
09-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Why is Les on the staff then? I know Mullen has a lot of input the play calling, but what is the point of having an OC then? No, I'm not ready to replace him if we win 4-5 games this year.

codeDawg
09-03-2013, 10:35 AM
In the last 3 games, UM, NW, OSU, we not only lost, but our offensive mastermind was embarrassed on that side of the ball. He didn't get out-coached on a few pivotal plays, he got creamed every time we lined up.

To make matters worse, while we ran slow plays up the middle the guys he was getting killed by lined up smart, modern offenses that appeared capable of adjusting and exploiting what our defense gave them.

I'm not saying to not be upset... I was very disappointed leaving the game... Out of the last 7 games... how many of those teams were ranked?

Bama
A&M
LSU
NW
OKST

Not saying that's an excuse, because I feel like we should have beat NW and OKST. Not only do the coaches (offensively) need to get it together, but our players need to quit shooting themselves in the foot on the field.

C222
09-03-2013, 10:40 AM
What??
The coaching staff had all off-season to get the offense together and right the ship from last year's collapse and they failed miserably.
Nothing will change this year, it's gonna be tough to win 5 games.

Dan is now 0-16 vs Top 20 Teams.

We all get that he hasn't fared well against ranked teams, but the fact that you stop at #20 instead of #25 annoys the shit out of me. When he beats a top 20 team, will you then go up to 15?

CJDAWG85
09-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes I agree that the offense has not looked good lately... Not arguing that... Play calling was not good in this last one... But it's only the first game... I think we will have a better understanding of WTF is going on after the Auburn game... If Aubrun beats us because of bad play calling and coaching, then yeah there is cause for concern

hells bells
09-03-2013, 10:57 AM
We all get that he hasn't fared well against ranked teams, but the fact that you stop at #20 instead of #25 annoys the shit out of me. When he beats a top 20 team, will you then go up to 15?

Read the stats yesterday. My hat is off to the defensive play and coaching. OKST worse performance since 2010. Offensively, our worse performance since the second half of last season other than Ark. If OKST can make a QB change why not us when needed. Need to use all the talent there is on the offensive side of the ball. Do not want a repeat of Jackie's last year when there was true hate between the D and O.

fishwater99
09-03-2013, 11:07 AM

He's also 0-16 vs Top 15 teams and 2-17 vs the Top 25. My point is he hasn't beaten a good team yet(a Top 20 team).
If he does I will more than give him credit.
We could have won Saturday if we had an offense, our defense played well enough to win.
Dan calls the plays and he failed us Saturday.

Johnson85
09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Remember, we were NOT supposed to beat OKST. They were supposed to blow us out.

Ok St. is not that good of a team right now. They may get better as the year goes by, but we benefited from them not knowing what qb to use and having a green offensive coordinator.

It may turn out that their defense is actually excellent for a Big 12 defense, but even then, it will be the fourth best defense we face, and there will likely be another two or three that are about as good. That's somewhere between 4 and 7 games where we won't have a chance because of our offense, unless a change is inexplicably made after standing pat all off season.

ckDOG
09-03-2013, 11:33 AM
We scored 3 points against a team that doesn't recruit any better than we do. This is Yr 5. I feel pretty comfortable bitching and being worried about our future.

Coach34
09-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Why is Les on the staff then? I know Mullen has a lot of input the play calling, but what is the point of having an OC then?

To help gameplan
To coach QB's during practice
To help scout opponents
To recruit

These are things done to help Mullen while he is fulfilling his other duties...this is Mullen's offense- not Koenning's...and Mullen called every play Saturday

Op4isabitch
09-03-2013, 12:22 PM
To help gameplan
To help scout opponents
To recruit

These are things done to help Mullen while he is fulfilling his other duties...this is Mullen's offense- not Koenning's...and Mullen called every play Saturday

Maybe just maybe, Mullen should get busy being the head coach, fire Woody McKeonning and hire a young uptempo fire breathing OC and let him take care of the O and continue to let Collins run the D, or is it just not that simple?

CJDAWG85
09-03-2013, 12:25 PM
To help gameplan
To help scout opponents
To recruit

Maybe he shoud relinquish the duties then and let Les call some plays from the box. I don't know? Do anything to shake it up.

blacklistedbully
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM
To help gameplan
To help scout opponents
To recruit

Coach, if this is true, then we are in deep shit as long as Mullen stays. We have to keep moving forward or we risk getting left behind. While we appear to have moved forward defensively, this BS offense we rolled back from last year is going to get us buried in the SEC. After all the evidence we got that it is a failed system, and after an entire off-season to do something about it, I simply cannot for the life of me understand how Mullen & staff thought it was ok to bring it back. Now it's too late to make significant changes to the scheme. To me, the only plausible thing is make Dak the starter, use TR as a change-of-pace and hope the coaches do a better job of play selection.

To clarify, I like the read-option scheme with DP at QB if the play-calling is much less predictable. But if we stay predictable, even with Dak, we are screwed. This mess is on Mullen, period.

thunderclap
09-03-2013, 02:01 PM
In the last 3 games, UM, NW, OSU, we not only lost, but our offensive mastermind was embarrassed on that side of the ball. He didn't get out-coached on a few pivotal plays, he got creamed every time we lined up.

To make matters worse, while we ran slow plays up the middle the guys he was getting killed by lined up smart, modern offenses that appeared capable of adjusting and exploiting what our defense gave them.

This is perfectly stated and why I'm so worried, turning toward apathetic. I'm sick of watching everybody else run offenses that are up to date and score while we backslide to the Croom era.