PDA

View Full Version : Todd Blackledge on Mike and Mike this morning

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Good conversation on 247 this morning:

Listening to Todd Blackledge being interviewed on Mike and Mike and he just said something that makes sense about our offensive problems.

"In college football, here is my philosophy. If you don't have a guy who can stand in the pocket and absorb the rush and be pin point accurate all day, like a Teddy Bridgewater, you better have a mobile quarterback, dual threat guy, because the defenses in college football today are too good and too fast, and if you have a so-so accurate passer that can't move, you got no chance of winning. So for me, in college football, the way to go is, if you don't have an NFL level quarterback, you better have a dual threat guy that can at least threaten the defense when a play breaks down."

There you go folks. Just another way of calling a spade a spade

Also:

You know, one thing that has been overlooked in this whole discussion over the last few days is that Mike Gundy, who is one of the greatest offensive minds in the country, couldn't move the ball with a pocket passer. OK State had to take their "Tyler" out of the game and insert their "Dak" to get things moving.

This just isn't our staff folks, unless you are Bama or LSU, pocket passers don't work. Ok State has been one of the best offenses in college football for the past decade and they couldn't figure it out.

The only difference in that game was that OK State made an adjustment away from the pocket offense to the a dual threat offense. Only difference.

BHildreth3
09-03-2013, 09:24 AM
I thought of something this morning (and maybe it's already been discussed - if so, sorry) but everyone knows that we have no experience at WR. So Oklahoma State stacked the box and dared us to throw --- this is just one of several reasons why we HAVE TO GET the ball out of the QBs hands faster. slants, screens, etc. - this speeds up the learning process for our WRs! Makes me sick how we continue to make it harder than it should be - and we take centuries to move the football.

Johnson85
09-03-2013, 09:51 AM
I thought of something this morning (and maybe it's already been discussed - if so, sorry) but everyone knows that we have no experience at WR. So Oklahoma State stacked the box and dared us to throw --- this is just one of several reasons why we HAVE TO GET the ball out of the QBs hands faster. slants, screens, etc. - this speeds up the learning process for our WRs! Makes me sick how we continue to make it harder than it should be - and we take centuries to move the football.

We tried the quick slant...on 3rd and 14.

Bo Darville
09-03-2013, 09:51 AM
I would even take a high caliber mobile QB over a high caliber drop back passer in college. I would take Cam Newton, Manziel, RGIII, over Brady, Manning, Brees. In the NFL, I would take the drop-back QB.

The key is the numbers. When you play a dropback QB, you are playing 11 defenders versus 10 offensive players. When the offense runs the ball, the QB does not have to be accounted for. However, with a dual threat guy, you now have to defend the QB. The passing game is the same way, you don't have to account for the dropback QB. However, the dual threat guy can scramble and buy time until a receiver comes open. He can also take off and run for the first down, keeping the drive alive. You have to account for that, often with a spy.

ckDOG
09-03-2013, 09:55 AM
The key is the numbers. When you play a dropback QB, you are playing 11 defenders versus 10 offensive players. When the offense runs the ball, the QB does not have to be accounted for. However, with a dual threat guy, you now have to defend the QB. The passing game is the same way, you don't have to account for the dropback QB. However, the dual threat guy can scramble and buy time until a receiver comes open. He can also take off and run for the first down, keeping the drive alive. You have to account for that, often with a spy.

Yep, this is a concept that Dan Mullen once knew well and thrived on. For some reason, t's been abandoned, with sub-par linemen and WRs, and a QB that doesn't get the ball out of his hands quick enough. Shake my damn head.

maroonmania
09-03-2013, 10:16 AM
We tried the quick slant...on 3rd and 14.

If you watched the Washington State offense Saturday night they were VERY successful running continual slants, hitches, curls, screens etc. None of this sitting back every pass play waiting for a 25 yard pattern to develop. No reason why Russell can't throw the same patterns the WSU QB was throwing. Apparently our coaches just don't know how to put that into our game plan.

Jack Lambert
09-03-2013, 10:22 AM
I think our coaching staff is falling into the trap that many other do. Some guys practice well but play bad on Saturday. It is a dilemma that many coaches have to face. Do I not start the guy that is practicing the best? That is tough question to answer for coaches. I think if Mullen is going to stay with Russell he is going to have to shake things up in the WR area.

RougeDawg
09-03-2013, 10:36 AM
I think our coaching staff is falling into the trap that many other do. Some guys practice well but play bad on Saturday. It is a dilemma that many coaches have to face. Do I not start the guy that is practicing the best? That is tough question to answer for coaches. I think if Mullen is going to stay with Russell he is going to have to shake things up in the WR area.

If Mullen stays with Russell we might win 4 games and, Dan needs to go. Plain and simple what it's going to take for us to be competitive. We saw it Saturday.