PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Engram is gonna play

Spiderman
11-23-2016, 10:32 AM
may not be 100% but not near as bad as feared. Walking with no visible limp, looked fine. Was out doing charity stuff with team last night.

Take it for what's its worth.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 10:35 AM
6 catches for 210 & 3 TDs

Bama_Dawg
11-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Good. Would love to see Leo put him on his butt a few times. JP could do this too and I wouldn't be sad.

preachermatt83
11-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Tolt yal. Lol.

MadDawg
11-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Shouldn't affect our game plan either way. We don't cover the TE position.

Mjoelner34
11-23-2016, 10:45 AM

Yeah, that's a pretty good 1st half.

MaxedOutMaroon
11-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Shouldn't affect our game plan either way. We don't cover the TE position.

Don't fall into their deception, he's a slot receiver. How many times does he line up like a tight end? He won't be one in the NFL either. On another note, we can't cover that position either.

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2016, 10:46 AM
I don't think you are allowed to throw to them which is why we never cover them.

msstate7
11-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Don't fall into their deception, he's a slot receiver. How many times does he line up like a tight end? He won't be one in the NFL either. On another note, we can't cover that position either.

Yeah, he's not gonna be a good NFL player. Great college player though

msstate7
11-23-2016, 10:57 AM
If he does indeed play, it'll be interesting how well. His advantage is speed, not size, so a hamstring is a pretty big deal for him. Not sure we can cover him anyway, but a slowed down engram isn't a very big threat vs a good defense.

defiantdog
11-23-2016, 11:11 AM
It doesn't matter..... they're still going to put 80 on us.

Spiderman
11-23-2016, 11:24 AM
It doesn't matter..... they're still going to put 80 on us.

Probably so. They will just put Brown or Stringfellow in that spot any way.

HSVDawg
11-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Yeah, he's not gonna be a good NFL player. Great college player though

You may want to tell that to pretty much every NFL draft analyst. He's listed as a consensus Top 4 TE in the 2017 draft by every publication, and is #2 or #3 in most cases (O.J. Howard is consensus #1). Of course anyone can be a bust but he has as good a chance as any to have a long and successful NFL career. Hopefully he isn't playing on Saturday. It definitely slowed down their offense in 2013 when he was out against us.

Spiderman
11-23-2016, 11:37 AM
You may want to tell that to pretty much every NFL draft analyst. He's listed as a consensus Top 4 TE in the 2017 draft by every publication, and is #2 or #3 in most cases (O.J. Howard is consensus #1). Of course anyone can be a bust but he has as good a chance as any to have a long and successful NFL career. Hopefully he isn't playing on Saturday. It definitely slowed down their offense in 2013 when he was out against us.

Yeah those NFL draft guys are never wrong.**

However, Engram has a chance, but it will have to be the right team and system. He's a tweener in the Pros, can he carry some extra weight and keep his speed?

GTHOM
11-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Of course he was gonna play. And if we sit in a cover 2 and leave the middle of the field wide open again he will abuse us

HSVDawg
11-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Yeah those NFL draft guys are never wrong.**

However, Engram has a chance, but it will have to be the right team and system. He's a tweener in the Pros, can he carry some extra weight and keep his speed?

He doesn't really need that much weight. He compares most favorably to Jordan Reed, who is only 6-2, 246 (1" shorter and about 10lb heavier than Reed). And Reed is easily a top 5 NFL TE right now.

I think what makes Engram special is flexibility. He's never going to be a true blocking TE, but is more than big enough to take on CB's and Safeties outside to support the running game. He's also big enough to go over the middle and take hits from LB's in zone coverage, and is fast / athletic enough to run probably 80% of the route tree of a true outside WR. He's likely to fit in somewhere.

msstate7
11-23-2016, 11:59 AM

I just don't see it. Who does he compare to in the NFL? Maybe Vernon Davis size wise, but Davis ran a 4.38 and 42" vertical. Even size wise, Vernon was listed at 6'3" 253 lbs in college... engram is 6'3" 227 lbs and you gotta figure that's inflated.

msstate7
11-23-2016, 12:06 PM
He doesn't really need that much weight. He compares most favorably to Jordan Reed, who is only 6-2, 246 (1" shorter and about 10lb heavier than Reed). And Reed is easily a top 5 NFL TE right now.

I think what makes Engram special is flexibility. He's never going to be a true blocking TE, but is more than big enough to take on CB's and Safeties outside to support the running game. He's also big enough to go over the middle and take hits from LB's in zone coverage, and is fast / athletic enough to run probably 80% of the route tree of a true outside WR. He's likely to fit in somewhere.

Reed is a good comparison. Reed still has 20 lbs on engram though... engram faster

scottycameron
11-23-2016, 12:08 PM
I'm hearing he probably won't play. And I actually have darn good sources on stuff like that if you can believe that

Dawgbite
11-23-2016, 12:10 PM
I hear that some NFL teams are taking good TE's and making serviceable QB's out of them!

HSVDawg
11-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Reed is a good comparison. Reed still has 20 lbs on engram though... engram faster

Reed is listed at 246 and Engram at 235. Really not that big of a difference. Engram could probably play at 240 in the NFL without too much trouble.

msstate7
11-23-2016, 12:15 PM
I'm hearing he probably won't play. And I actually have darn good sources on stuff like that if you can believe that

If engram is smart, he won't risk tearing his hamstring. If he can't run and run well at combine, he'll certainly fall in the draft. Remember he came back last season bc he didn't like his draft grade

GreenheadDawg
11-23-2016, 12:21 PM
If engram is smart, he won't risk tearing his hamstring. If he can't run and run well at combine, he'll certainly fall in the draft. Remember he came back last season bc he didn't like his draft grade

That would be my take as well. Why risk getting injured more when the egg bowl is all you have going for you.

Spiderman
11-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Hope you are right. Guy in Oxford, State fan, gave me the info. I have no inside knowledge, just what this guy saw

msstate7
11-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Hope you are right. Guy in Oxford, State fan, gave me the info. I have no inside knowledge, just what this guy saw

Normally I have a really good source on this sort of stuff, but school's out so I have no idea

NCDawg
11-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Probably so. They will just put Brown or Stringfellow in that spot any way.

I'm not sure we could guard anybody that they put out there. Of course, it would help if our DL could put a little pressure on the QB, but from what I've seen, I doubt that they can.

louisvilledawg
11-23-2016, 12:52 PM

can't wait to watch us not defend him.

Bubb Rubb
11-23-2016, 12:58 PM

I would be shocked if he played. You can't play on a hammy that isn't 100%. The first time he tries to break down out of a route, that thing is gonna pop. And if he tries to protect it by changing his mechanics, he's not going to be effective.

bgover4
11-23-2016, 12:59 PM
We may be better off playing against a half speed Engram than his full speed backup.

Coursesuper
11-23-2016, 01:33 PM
If there is anyway he can go he will, its the egg bowl. He's a football player he will want to play.

defiantdog
11-23-2016, 01:39 PM
We may be better off playing against a half speed Engram than his full speed backup.

Octavious Cooley is his back up. And he might be an upgrade next year because of his size.

bulldawg28
11-23-2016, 01:53 PM

You don't necessarily limp with an hamstring injury you just can run. If he truly had a significant hamstring injury he won't finish the game Saturday, Mark it.

bulldawg28
11-23-2016, 01:54 PM
If there is anyway he can go he will, its the egg bowl. He's a football player he will want to play.

I hope he plays injured it only helps us

RougeDawg
11-23-2016, 02:47 PM
I hear that some NFL teams are taking good TE's and making serviceable QB's out of them!

Don't think anyone else got what you were talking about.