PDA

View Full Version : Reading between the lines....

CadaverDawg
11-23-2016, 08:59 AM
I listened to Dawg Talk on the radio last night. I was encouraged to hear Mullen unprovoked saying things like "yea, next year we'll be playing this one on Thanksgiving, which will be special. Will mean me and my staff will get zero sleep that week, but it will be special to play on Thanksgiving."

He made several responses talking about the youth on the team and how it is frustrating THIS year, but will be worth it next year and the next when all these guys return and HE will be coaching a veteran team with a veteran QB. Kept inferring that HE would be coaching them the next few years.

Might not mean anything at all, and I still wish the SOB wouldn't sleep this week after what's happened the last few years...but I was encouraged to hear Mullen making several references to next year and the next few years, as if he's going to be here and happy to be here.

Just thought I'd share. Disregard if you want Mullen gone, I guess

shoeless joe
11-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Maybe seeing what we've been able to do on offense has him excited about the future possibilities...OR because we suck so bad he has resigned himself to the fact that he'll have no choice but to be back.

Commercecomet24
11-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Appreciate the info! To me it is good news. I hope he makes appropriate changes in the offseason and finishes recruiting hard. He's got so many good qualities and hopefully he's evaluated where we need to fix some things and get it done. Now let's start by getting the Egg back!

HailState

msbulldog
11-23-2016, 09:18 AM
I hope he's made up his mind that his best option is staying here and building a winner. That would put a lot of people's mind at ease.
Thanks for the post Cdawg.

starkvegasdawg
11-23-2016, 09:40 AM
I listened to Dawg Talk on the radio last night. I was encouraged to hear Mullen unprovoked saying things like "yea, next year we'll be playing this one on Thanksgiving, which will be special. Will mean me and my staff will get zero sleep that week, but it will be special to play on Thanksgiving."

He made several responses talking about the youth on the team and how it is frustrating THIS year, but will be worth it next year and the next when all these guys return and HE will be coaching a veteran team with a veteran QB. Kept inferring that HE would be coaching them the next few years.

Might not mean anything at all, and I still wish the SOB wouldn't sleep this week after what's happened the last few years...but I was encouraged to hear Mullen making several references to next year and the next few years, as if he's going to be here and happy to be here.

We'll know in a couple of weeks if this was him being honest or just being coy. If he is truly wanting to stay here then the first time he his tied to a coaching opening he needs to come out and say he is flattered his name came up but he is happy coaching and MSU and is not a candidate. He can't help what sports reporters write and who ties him to what opening. He can control the message after that happens, though.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 09:44 AM

Good post C Dav

It's good to hear Mullen say that. As I've been saying, this year has sucked but it hasn't been a waste. Replacing Dak and finding young playmakers was critical for the future and we've done that. That along with what should be a solid recruiting class coming in and your rival going on probation leads me to believe we are actually headed in the right direction. We've just got to get back to physical football on both sides.

Glad to hear that Mullen sounds excited about the future.

lamont
11-23-2016, 09:47 AM
Everything has been quiet the last couple weeks...it's also hard to sell yourself at 4-7

Hell, right now there is more chatter that OM is about to overhaul its staff

RezDog7
11-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Not to high jack the thread but is it true that Freeze could continue to coach at OM with a show cause?

Bama_Dawg
11-23-2016, 09:56 AM
I think its good news, especially if we get the "fire in the belly" Mullen we know is in there. He's come out on a few occasions during games this year, but this off season really needs to be a "shot in the arm" for the program. Get the fans/alumni excited about next year (which is already occurring, by his Dawg Talk). We have to go wholesale on changes, Hev, Sirmon, Knox, just to name a few that need to be shown the door.

Having Cohen as AD in this case, makes it easier. Cohen wants to win, and I'm sure he's seen the issues, so he'd be behind it. (Hell, he may even fire some of them himself...that intense bastard...).

lamont
11-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Not to high jack the thread but is it true that Freeze could continue to coach at OM with a show cause?

No he can't

msbulldog
11-23-2016, 10:03 AM

As I understand the rules, it is indeed possible. Mississippi would have to go before the NCAA and make the case for him staying.
Freeze would be radioactive for any other school, though Auburn did hire Bruce Pearl.
I think it would be appropriate for Freeze to continue to coach at the dumpster fire he created, after the NCAA get's through with them.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 10:09 AM
As I understand the rules, it is indeed possible. Mississippi would have to go before the NCAA and make the case for him staying.
Freeze would be radioactive for any other school, though Auburn did hire Bruce Pearl.
I think it would be appropriate for Freeze to continue to coach at the dumpster fire he created, after the NCAA get's through with them.

Not sure what case you could make with a 6-6 coach that doesn't develop NFL talent. There's really not much evidence that he's a good coach. I think the NCAA would see that the only reason for keeping him would be to continue to cheat

basedog
11-23-2016, 10:10 AM
First time that I can remember him not being mentioned as HC somewhere.

BiscuitEater
11-23-2016, 10:13 AM
No he can't

Yes, I think that they can BUT schools have usually fired the coaches using language in the contracts that prohibit 'bringing the NCAA down' on the school.

The penalty was instituted to keep coaches from getting a school on probation and then skipping off to another school .. ala Calipari.

I also think that schools can actually hire a coach with a 'show cause' .. but the stigma has been too much to overcome .. ala Briles.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 10:14 AM
We have to go wholesale on changes, Hev, Sirmon, Knox, just to name a few that need to be shown the door.

The problem with wholesale changes is that it virtually assures that we will stink next year. You have to remember that players are human beings & not robots & that change is difficult & bumpy. My guess is you'll see a couple of changes & that's about it.

One thing to remember is that you don't know these people &, as fans, we can guess what's wrong but we really have no clue. Honestly, I realize the defense is the worst in MSU history, but we have to remember that Mullen hired Sirmon because he believes he possesses the ingredients & knowledge to be an elite DC. If Mullen still believes that & believes that this year's defense was a result of other, uncontrollable factors, then I hope he keeps Sirmon. You can't just fire people to fire people or because your upset, you fire people when you truly believe that you have better options & that the program is better off without that person.

msbulldog
11-23-2016, 10:18 AM
Not sure what case you could make with a 6-6 coach that doesn't develop NFL talent. There's really not much evidence that he's a good coach. I think the NCAA would see that the only reason for keeping him would be to continue to cheat

Gun, Mississippi could go to the NCAA and make a good case that they can't hire a coach to come into this soon to be or already is dumpster fire.

Really Clark?
11-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Also don't forget that with a show cause he will also be suspended X number of games as well. That is also big reason that coaches don't get hired at other schools during the show cause period. Even if they "show cause" why they should be allowed to hire that coach, the suspension will still be in effect.

Spiderman
11-23-2016, 10:24 AM
First time that I can remember him not being mentioned as HC somewhere.

I have already seen one... Arizona

smootness
11-23-2016, 10:33 AM
The hysteria over Mullen shopping himself all over the country is one of the most bizarre fan-created things I've seen. His name is mentioned often for good open jobs because many around the country see a young, 'up-and-coming' coach having success at a place like State and think, 'He's a good candidate to want to move up,' so they throw his name around for a bunch of openings. Then our fans freak out, assume he's trying to leave, get pissed at him, and start to see things like him not screaming at everyone on the sideline as further proof that he's gotten complacent and doesn't care about State's success anymore.

It's stupid. The guy is more invested in State being successful than any of us.

basedog
11-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Don't believe everything you have heard. I can tell you what I was told about his wife talking to Mullen but maybe later when things settle down. There is more going on than the so call "in the rumor mill". And yes I have two folks in the know.

lamont
11-23-2016, 10:43 AM
The hysteria over Mullen shopping himself all over the country is one of the most bizarre fan-created things I've seen. His name is mentioned often for good open jobs because many around the country see a young, 'up-and-coming' coach having success at a place like State and think, 'He's a good candidate to want to move up,' so they throw his name around for a bunch of openings. Then our fans freak out, assume he's trying to leave, get pissed at him, and start to see things like him not screaming at everyone on the sideline as further proof that he's gotten complacent and doesn't care about State's success anymore.

He has interviewed with other schools- that is indeed trying to leave. Its not fan hysteria anything. Just because his interview wasnt televised doesnt mean it didnt happen. There will be alot of movement the next couple of weeks. We'll see what shakes out. Right now all is quiet

CadaverDawg
11-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Yep. The "shopping himself around" is on the same level as "meddling in the defense". Both are likely untrue.

This will be a very unpopular comment, but if several of our vocal message board guys would be less worried about showing their power and sources, and more worried about the continued success of MSU football....we'd have far fewer of these growing false narratives out there about Mullen. Sorry if that offends some, but it needs to be said imo.

Cooterpoot
11-23-2016, 10:48 AM
He has interviewed with other schools- that is indeed trying to leave. Its not fan hysteria anything. Just because his interview wasnt televised doesnt mean it didnt happen. There will be alot of movement the next couple of weeks. We'll see what shakes out. Right now all is quiet

Miami....He talked to Miami. That's it. This whole, "Dan is shopping around" crap is more false narrative created by our own fan base. The only school he's talked to is Miami. Hell, I can't blame him. That's a ticket to the NFL, which is what he's really more interested in anyway.

Commercecomet24
11-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Yep. The "shopping himself around" is on the same level as "meddling in the defense". Both are likely untrue.

This will be a very unpopular comment, but if several of our vocal message board guys would be less worried about showing their power and sources, and more worried about the continued success of MSU football....we'd have far fewer of these growing false narratives out there about Mullen. Sorry if that offends some, but it needs to be said imo.

Cadaver always bringing the "A" game!

CadaverDawg
11-23-2016, 10:53 AM

Interviewing is not "trying to leave". I have gone on several "interviews" to see what another company had to offer. Some I turned down when they offered or asked for a second interview, some I kept going bc I was interested and wanted to explore the opportunity more. Only a few interviews were bc I was "trying" to get out. Wanting to see if something might be a good fit for your family and financially, doesn't make you a bad person or mean that you hate your job.

Token Bammer
11-23-2016, 11:06 AM

Big step down imo .

msbulldog
11-23-2016, 11:14 AM

Testify Cdawg!
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

Spiderman
11-23-2016, 11:17 AM
Don't believe everything you have heard. I can tell you what I was told about his wife talking to Mullen but maybe later when things settle down. There is more going on than the so call "in the rumor mill". And yes I have two folks in the know.

Didn't say I believed it, the other poster said he hadn't seen his name up for any this year. I saw an article saying "Zona.

Not sure if still true but Mrs. Mullen had/has no desire to leave Starkville except for one place, and it ain't open or gonna be open.

She might have changed her mind after this year, and the shit that's been said.

War Machine Dawg
11-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Good post C Dav

It's good to hear Mullen say that. As I've been saying, this year has sucked but it hasn't been a waste. Replacing Dak and finding young playmakers was critical for the future and we've done that. That along with what should be a solid recruiting class coming in and your rival going on probation leads me to believe we are actually headed in the right direction. We've just got to get back to physical football on both sides.

Glad to hear that Mullen sounds excited about the future.

Who's gonna block? We still haven't figured out that. And until we do, nothing else really matters. Are we going to break up the #CountryClub? If we don't, this doesn't get much better. We're spinning our wheels until we fix those two problems.

dawgday166
11-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Who's gonna block? We still haven't figured out that. And until we do, nothing else really matters. Are we going to break up the #CountryClub? If we don't, this doesn't get much better. We're spinning our wheels until we fix those two problems.

Very good question. If Bammer struggles a little when they turn over 3 starters on the Oline including a center (and they do some), just imagine what it will be like for us. Hopefully someone has been practicing at center for a good while and isn't just now starting (as Claiborne did 2 years ago).

I can tell some in this thread probably love using the song "Don't Stop Believing" in the 4th quarter. Well, it's the 4th quarter and they still be believing.

ETA: It's taken all year to get this Oline to start blocking reasonable and 3 of the 5 (including Claiborne) started last year and, with exception of Rankin, everyone else played a good bit. SMH at folks just looking at skill position players on O.

KB21
11-23-2016, 11:35 AM
The problem with wholesale changes is that it virtually assures that we will stink next year. You have to remember that players are human beings & not robots & that change is difficult & bumpy. My guess is you'll see a couple of changes & that's about it.

One thing to remember is that you don't know these people &, as fans, we can guess what's wrong but we really have no clue. Honestly, I realize the defense is the worst in MSU history, but we have to remember that Mullen hired Sirmon because he believes he possesses the ingredients & knowledge to be an elite DC. If Mullen still believes that & believes that this year's defense was a result of other, uncontrollable factors, then I hope he keeps Sirmon. You can't just fire people to fire people or because your upset, you fire people when you truly believe that you have better options & that the program is better off without that person.

Exactly! Here's a video that I posted elsewhere, of Urban Meyer speaking at a coaches' clinic at Mississippi State:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nHlZWoPvy4&t=424s

It's easy for fans to say "fire so and so" when things are going bad. It's harder to take the time necessary to find out why things were bad and fix those issues. In most cases when things go bad, there is a lack of trust, whether that is between players or between the players and coaches. The defensive staff was completely turned over in the off season. Every coach on the defensive side of the ball is new to these players, and they have never coached with one another before.

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2016, 11:38 AM
I hope Dan is here next year and is fully invested in recruiting his ass off. One thing that a lot of teams struggle with is QB development and with Dan we don't really have to worry about that. If he cuts some of the dead weight off of the Offensive side then we could really take the program higher. We really need to take advantage of UNM having their hands tied with the hammer about to drop. I wish he would take that next step and compete with Bama but if not then he is building up a good foundation of bowl wins and being consistent. That is enough for me right now. Getting embarassed by Auburn, Bama, and Ark are not ok.

lamont
11-23-2016, 11:39 AM

When a narrative is false- it will be treated as such. When something has been confirmed by 4 different people in different parts of the country- I'll take that as truth.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2016, 11:41 AM
I hope Dan is here next year and is fully invested in recruiting his ass off. One thing that a lot of teams struggle with is QB development and with Dan we don't really have to worry about that. If he cuts some of the dead weight off of the Offensive side then we could really take the program higher. We really need to take advantage of UNM having their hands tied with the hammer about to drop. I wish he would take that next step and compete with Bama but if not then he is building up a good foundation of bowl wins and being consistent. That is enough for me right now. Getting embarassed by Auburn, Bama, and Ark are not ok.

I agree

confucius say
11-23-2016, 11:45 AM

Devils advocate- Calhoun, story, Jenkins, and rankin have all been solid the last four games and will all be back.

lamont
11-23-2016, 11:47 AM
Miami....He talked to Miami. That's it. This whole, "Dan is shopping around" crap is more false narrative created by our own fan base. The only school he's talked to is Miami. Hell, I can't blame him. That's a ticket to the NFL, which is what he's really more interested in anyway.

He also talked to Georgia and Maryland

lamont
11-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Interviewing is not "trying to leave".

When you are making calls to other coaches gauging interest in working on your staff at said college- that is looking to leave. Dan Mullen thought he had landed the Miami job last year and then got Richted. Miami did however like the idea of Diaz who was supposed to come with Mullen- and slid him on in with Richt.

This is a new year- we'll see what happens

thf24
11-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Devils advocate- Calhoun, story, Jenkins, and rankin have all been solid the last four games and will all be back.

Given that we've got these guys returning, I doubt we'll be a whole lot worse, if at all. The main concern will be replacing Senior. People can say all they want about his consistency or upside, but he wasn't a four year starter in the SEC for nothing and will be hard to replace.

lamont
11-23-2016, 11:53 AM
And as I said- its been quiet lately. Bounds probably summed it up best- Mullen picked a bad year to go 4-8

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Given that we've got these guys returning, I doubt we'll be a whole lot worse, if at all. The main concern will be replacing Senior. People can say all they want about his consistency or upside, but he wasn't a four year starter in the SEC for nothing and will be hard to replace.

QB = better
RB = better if for nothing else than Dan can't use Shump or Holloway in the wrong role
WR = worse just from losing Ross
Oline = maybe slightly worse or even
TE = better with experience

Dline = worse from losing a lot of experience
LB = better from experience and Richie not being a fit for this defense
Safety = ? McLaurin should be better but losing Coman might be worse and Bryant playing more could make it worse
Corner = ? Should be better. Can't be much worse and we return pretty much everybody

Hopefully it will be the 2nd year in the same defensive scheme and everyone won't be thinking so much and just reacting.

HSVDawg
11-23-2016, 12:11 PM

It's not quite that simple. Receiving a show cause is more or less an automatic termination requirement for your coach if they haven't been terminated already. The "show cause" language simply means that any school who attempts to hire said coach must show cause to the NCAA that the candidate in question has fully rehabilitated his past actions in regards to skirting the rules (which is of course impossible if you haven't been employed at a member institution), and the NCAA has to accept the plea. It is a diplomatically worded so that schools can have some formal channel to TRY to hire individuals under restriction, but the reality is that everyone knows what the NCAA's response is going to be so nobody even tries it.

To my knowledge, no coach who has ever received a show cause has ever been successfully hired by their previous school or another school during the show cause period, and to my knowledge no one has ever even attempted it. Pearl was hired by Auburn after his show cause period had expired, so it is not really a valid comparison.

Long story short, if Freeze receives a show cause of any length, he is done at OM permanently unless they just want a satellite office to be set up by the NCAA in the square.

Really Clark?
11-23-2016, 12:30 PM

He never talked with Maryland and even Rosie called that out recently. It was made up by their 247 site. Georgia was always going with Smart. Herman was an option. Mullen was only asked if he would be interested as a back up back up option if they have to go down their list. Never even got to an interview stage.

KB21
11-23-2016, 12:34 PM
The confirmation bias is thick in this thread.

basedog
11-23-2016, 12:40 PM

I will say this, he did shop himself, I got that from someone who would know for sure, I'm just not sure where and who, I didn't ask and I'm gonna wait till the dust clears before commenting on Mullen as that was told to me.

Percho
11-23-2016, 12:41 PM

I'm with you fellers. Sometimes .... happens!

Bubb Rubb
11-23-2016, 12:44 PM

My only issue is allowing his name to be thrown around with no statement to the contrary. It is not even a debatable point that job rumors have hurt us in recruiting, and all these other coaches use it against us. Dan needs to be more definitive in squashing rumors - he could make all of that go away if he's where he truly wants to be.

msstate7
11-23-2016, 12:45 PM
My only issue is allowing his name to be thrown around with no statement to the contrary. It is not even a debatable point that job rumors have hurt us in recruiting, and all these other coaches use it against us. Dan needs to be more definitive in squashing rumors - he could make all of that go away if he's where he truly wants to be.

Doesn't his name being out there help Mullen with contract negotiations?

bluelightstar
11-23-2016, 12:49 PM

No, because if he is a serious candidate for other jobs, everyone who matters knows it without there being 24 articles and 127 tweets from sportswriters.

Bubb Rubb
11-23-2016, 12:55 PM

Once every two or three years is fine. If he's doing well, he's going to get approached, and maybe he can parlay it into a better contract where he is.

But three to four different jobs every offseason? No. He can step up behind a microphone at anytime and squash all of that. To say after the fact that most of it was BS is disingenuous.

Really Clark?
11-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Once every two or three years is fine. If he's doing well, he's going to get approached, and maybe he can parlay it into a better contract where he is.

But three to four different jobs every offseason? No. He can step up behind a microphone at anytime and squash all of that. To say after the fact that most of it was BS is disingenuous.

Please list those 3-4 legitimate jobs from just the last 3 years

TrapGame
11-23-2016, 12:58 PM

You know, I don't think I've ever heard Mullen be this adamant about being THE coach in the future tense. And he made sure it was put out there more than once.

Liverpooldawg
11-23-2016, 01:00 PM

THIS. He talked to MIAMI, and that's it. Our fan base, AND the one up north, created all the other crap.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 01:03 PM
QB = better
RB = better if for nothing else than Dan can't use Shump or Holloway in the wrong role
WR = worse just from losing Ross
Oline = maybe slightly worse or even
TE = better with experience

Dline = worse from losing a lot of experience
LB = better from experience and Richie not being a fit for this defense
Safety = ? McLaurin should be better but losing Coman might be worse and Bryant playing more could make it worse
Corner = ? Should be better. Can't be much worse and we return pretty much everybody

Hopefully it will be the 2nd year in the same defensive scheme and everyone won't be thinking so much and just reacting.

You left one out: kicker. Of which we should be better and, if this team had one, they'd have 6 or 7 wins.

Liverpooldawg
11-23-2016, 01:08 PM

OUTSTANDING!

CadaverDawg
11-23-2016, 01:16 PM
When you are making calls to other coaches gauging interest in working on your staff at said college- that is looking to leave. Dan Mullen thought he had landed the Miami job last year and then got Richted. Miami did however like the idea of Diaz who was supposed to come with Mullen- and slid him on in with Richt.

This is a new year- we'll see what happens

No that's called "thinking you got the job". If Miami misled him or gave him false hope, shame on him for falling for it. Still doesn't mean he was "shopping himself around".

Are any of you guys ambitious? I ask bc apparently y'all should hate me, bc I will gladly sit down and talk to anybody that can potentially put my family and/or finances in better shape, or put me in a better spot to potentially fulfill my career goals, with a great opportunity. Doesn't mean I'm "shopping myself around"....means I'm not doing myself a disservice.

Maybe if we had a true MSU grinder that embraced everything about Starkville but only made a bowl game every 4 years, y'all would be happier. That way they couldn't/wouldn't "shop themselves around" bc nobody would want their sorry asses.

Bubb Rubb
11-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Please list those 3-4 legitimate jobs from just the last 3 years

legitimate is your word. I'm not saying the rumors are legitimate. I'm saying he doesn't squash them, so they take on a life of their own. He's been linked recently to Maryland, Miami, Boston College, Georgia, Penn State, Florida, Arizona, Rutgers, etc, just immediately off the top of my head. It's a running gag on some message boards that every time there's a coach firing, someone says, "Mullen to ___". I'm not advocating for him to be fired. I'm not part of the lunatic fringe of this board that thinks he needs to be shitcanned. But I do think he brings a lot of stuff onto himself that he doesn't need to. He struggles with recruiting enough as it is, so why would he let rumors fly all over the place every offseason without squashing them?

Liverpooldawg
11-23-2016, 01:23 PM

He did issue one. That didn't stop the rumors from being made up and spread by people that say they are MSU fans.

Really Clark?
11-23-2016, 01:26 PM
legitimate is your word. I'm not saying the rumors are legitimate. I'm saying he doesn't squash them, so they take on a life of their own. He's been linked recently to Maryland, Miami, Boston College, Georgia, Penn State, Florida, Arizona, Rutgers, etc, just immediately off the top of my head. It's a running gag on some message boards that every time there's a coach firing, someone says, "Mullen to ___". I'm not advocating for him to be fired. I'm not part of the lunatic fringe of this board that thinks he needs to be shitcanned. But I do think he brings a lot of stuff onto himself that he doesn't need to. He struggles with recruiting enough as it is, so why would he let rumors fly all over the place every offseason without squashing them?

But he did that. At the Conerly last year. And he can't or shouldn't respond to what some writer, random poster, talking head throws out their as just possible candidates or some list. There is not a coach who does it now or in history who makes it a point to address all rumors. And yet you want to take that and use it as he is shopping himself every year. Those who are just throwing out names are not a legitimate source to make your case. The majority of those jobs you listed are just plain false or just some writer throwing out names with no sources.

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2016, 01:29 PM
No that's called "thinking you got the job". If Miami misled him or gave him false hope, shame on him for falling for it. Still doesn't mean he was "shopping himself around".

Are any of you guys ambitious? I ask bc apparently y'all should hate me, bc I will gladly sit down and talk to anybody that can potentially put my family and/or finances in better shape, or put me in a better spot to potentially fulfill my career goals, with a great opportunity. Doesn't mean I'm "shopping myself around"....means I'm not doing myself a disservice.

Maybe if we had a true MSU grinder that embraced everything about Starkville but only made a bowl game every 4 years, y'all would be happier. That way they couldn't/wouldn't "shop themselves around" bc nobody would want their sorry asses.

Depends if in doing so that it costs your company money. Mullen having these rumors floating around definitely hurts recruiting. I have a friend that works for ESPN that knows all of the talking heads. The person is in no way connected to MSU and has never gotten on a message board. The person told me that Maryland thought they had Mullen but then he thought he was getting Miami so it was turned down at the last minute. The guy very well could have gotten that info from Maryland message boards but it didn't seem that way. That is the only info I have but I trust the source.

HSVDawg
11-23-2016, 01:34 PM
He never talked with Maryland and even Rosie called that out recently. It was made up by their 247 site. Georgia was always going with Smart. Herman was an option. Mullen was only asked if he would be interested as a back up back up option if they have to go down their list. Never even got to an interview stage.

What I know from the highest of sources (which I rarely have, but do in this instance) about Maryland is that he had an offer on the table during the week of the Egg Bowl that he told them he would think about for a few days. Then when it was decision time, UGA opened up and he either flatly rejected or told them he needed more time and they went another direction. Now, what led up to that offer I do not know and I don't think anybody really does outside of Mullen, his old agent, and Maryland officials. Whether their search firm contacted him or his agent or vice versa, whether or not there was an actual interview, or whether Mullen ever even spoke to anyone in an official capacity with the school (or if it was all done through his agent) is all up in the air. But the facts are that he, at very least, had a deal floated his way and he did not immediately tell them to F off. So, saying that he actually pursued the Maryland job might be a stretch, but saying he didn't talk to them at all is probably a stretch as well. I do certainly agree that the Maryland 247 guy probably did read too much into what was probably some mild mutual interest from both parties.

Bubb Rubb
11-23-2016, 01:36 PM
But he did that. At the Conerly last year. And he can't or shouldn't respond to what some writer, random poster, talking head throws out their as just possible candidates or some list. There is not a coach who does it now or in history who makes it a point to address all rumors. And yet you want to take that and use it as he is shopping himself every year. Those who are just throwing out names are not a legitimate source to make your case. The majority of those jobs you listed are just plain false or just some writer throwing out names with no sources.

What he said at the Conerly last year was typical coach speak that you hear from a coach right before they leave. "I like the job that I have." I agree that most of the job rumors are BS and most of them are started by our rivals so they can use it against him in recruiting. When he's linked to four different job openings like he was last year, you've got to step up behind a microphone and say definitively, "those rumors are not true and I will be the coach at Mississippi State." There is a big difference between perception and reality, but perception usually has the bigger impact - and the perception is that he's looking to get out - because he's always rumored for other jobs, and he recently changed agents after coming up empty last year on the job front. It's a bad look for the university.

Really Clark?
11-23-2016, 02:13 PM
What he said at the Conerly last year was typical coach speak that you hear from a coach right before they leave. "I like the job that I have." I agree that most of the job rumors are BS and most of them are started by our rivals so they can use it against him in recruiting. When he's linked to four different job openings like he was last year, you've got to step up behind a microphone and say definitively, "those rumors are not true and I will be the coach at Mississippi State." There is a big difference between perception and reality, but perception usually has the bigger impact - and the perception is that he's looking to get out - because he's always rumored for other jobs, and he recently changed agents after coming up empty last year on the job front. It's a bad look for the university.

His actual full quote was: "I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen said. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that. Maybe four or five years ago, that was always a big worry for everybody. But this happens every year," Mullen said. "I'll tell you, as always, you're either getting fired or you're getting hired. I'll always take getting hired. It means we're winning and doing well."

Here is a good article from last year with Gary Patterson:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article51240680.html

You have a point about perception. But on this and other sites an agenda has driven the vast majority of this perception to try and make it fact and blatantly use false and/or speculative material that is misleading.

smootness
11-23-2016, 02:16 PM

He's interviewed with other schools?! That must mean he hates it here and is looking for any opportunity to leave!

Have you ever interviewed for a job while you had another? Did that mean you were unhappy with the one you had?

smootness
11-23-2016, 02:18 PM

Had he wanted the Maryland job, he would be the current coach at Maryland.

Bubb Rubb
11-23-2016, 02:20 PM
His actual full quote was: "I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen said. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that. Maybe four or five years ago, that was always a big worry for everybody. But this happens every year," Mullen said. "I'll tell you, as always, you're either getting fired or you're getting hired. I'll always take getting hired. It means we're winning and doing well."

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article51240680.html

You have a point about perception. But on this and other sites an agenda has driven the vast majority of this perception to try and make it fact and blatantly use false and/or speculative material that is misleading.

We are mostly on the same page here. I do say that the quote above was very coachspeak-esque, as I said before. I don't comment on other jobs, I like the job I have, this happens every year, blah, blah, blah. He can more aggressively dispel rumors and totally change the perception that you and I agree exists. "I'm not going to Rutgers." "I'm not going to Maryland." "That rumor is false." It killed our recruiting last year because he let that stuff float around, because he "doesn't like to comment on other jobs."

Really Clark?
11-23-2016, 02:33 PM
We are mostly on the same page here. I do say that the quote above was very coachspeak-esque, as I said before. I don't comment on other jobs, I like the job I have, this happens every year, blah, blah, blah. He can more aggressively dispel rumors and totally change the perception that you and I agree exists. "I'm not going to Rutgers." "I'm not going to Maryland." "That rumor is false." It killed our recruiting last year because he let that stuff float around, because he "doesn't like to comment on other jobs."

It is coach speak but you don't comment about specific jobs normally. And it's usually been the blanket multiple job rumors he has to address, and last year was no different. If not then you have to have a press conference for each and every job and that's ludicrous to do and serves no purpose. The year before he addressed Florida "I think people know that I am happy where I'm at," Mullen said in the interview. "We have great leadership here (at Mississippi State) and I don't expect to really hear from anyone because they know I'm happy here." He didn't name Florida then and he was not a candidate for that job but again rumors and writer speculation.

thf24
11-23-2016, 02:35 PM

We keep hearing that his vague handling of the job rumors "kills our recruiting." Is this just speculation, or is there concrete truth to it? Any specific examples? Not disagreeing, I'm just curious to know.

gtowndawg
11-23-2016, 02:36 PM
He's interviewed with other schools?! That must mean he hates it here and is looking for any opportunity to leave!

Have you ever interviewed for a job while you had another? Did that mean you were unhappy with the one you had?

Dude, come on. Every job I've ever interviewed for was precisely because I was looking for something better.

HSVDawg
11-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Dude, come on. Every job I've ever interviewed for was precisely because I was looking for something better.

To the OP's original point, "looking for something better" and "being unhappy where you are at" do not necessarily mean the same thing. Only Mullen knows for sure whether or not he is happy. One thing is for sure is that out of 120+ D1 coaches in the country, there are only 3 that aren't at least keeping an eye open for a better opportunity (at least at the college level) and those are Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh. The mountain top is only big enough for a few people to stand on it and everyone else is trying to climb up.

smootness
11-23-2016, 03:35 PM

It's because you're open to finding the best job you can find, sure. We should have no illusions that Mullen believes this is the best job he could ever have. That would be naive and dumb. But that doesn't mean he doesn't love it here and want to stay, generally speaking. There is a difference between 'I am completely satisfied with this job but am open to moving up' and 'I just want out of here.' Our fans have assumed the latter without evidence to support it.

Nick Saban was at LSU and won a national title, and he eventually took an NFL job. Does that mean LSU fans should have been looking to can him had he stayed because he was clearly complacent and wanted out? Of course not. Do rumors of him potentially looking into the Giants job mean Alabama should assume he is looking for any opportunity to leave there? Of course not.

Should your boss have fired you had he learned of you interviewing elsewhere because it clearly meant you didn't care about that job anymore? I would hope he wouldn't. We should be prepared for the fact that Mullen may leave for what he considers to be a step up, better job, new challenge, etc. But we shouldn't get rid of him because he is open to that; it doesn't mean he's given up here. That is a break in logic.

smootness
11-23-2016, 03:36 PM
To the OP's original point, "looking for something better" and "being unhappy where you are at" do not necessarily mean the same thing. Only Mullen knows for sure whether or not he is happy. One thing is for sure is that out of 120+ D1 coaches in the country, there are only 3 that aren't at least keeping an eye open for a better opportunity (at least at the college level) and those are Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh. The mountain top is only big enough for a few people to stand on it and everyone else is trying to climb up.

And again, even those guys are probably open to a better opportunity. Saban himself has had pretty consistent NFL rumors for a while.

Liverpooldawg
11-23-2016, 03:39 PM

THIS. Also, don't think that a few of these "highly placed sources" don't have agendas either.

RocketDawg
11-23-2016, 03:55 PM

Sounds good. I hope he's serious and plans to stay, and that we plan to keep him. I think we do indeed have a really good QB for next year, and the year after. Hi could be better than Dak ....

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 03:58 PM

Agree. Sad college football has to work this way though.

Percho
11-23-2016, 04:09 PM

Or, "The only way I'm leaving here is in a pine box."

ILOATHEBears
11-23-2016, 04:21 PM

A coach must really want a better contract to miss the best player in school history getting the highest award given to a player in MS. He showed at the last minute cause he was asked too...

shoeless joe
11-23-2016, 05:13 PM

Along these same lines...it is interesting that some folks don't like Mullen because he's apparently not 100% committed to state. Some of these people also didnt like Cohen coaching baseball when in fact he IS 100% committed to state.

Moral of the story: some folks are happier when they're bitching. And they'll bitch about whatever will fit their agenda.

Maroons
11-23-2016, 05:19 PM

Because he had a different agent. That's fixed now with Sexton.

He still may leave - I don't know. But nobody here is talking about the role his former agent played.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2016, 07:10 PM
Along these same lines...it is interesting that some folks don't like Mullen because he's apparently not 100% committed to state. Some of these people also didnt like Cohen coaching baseball when in fact he IS 100% committed to state.

Moral of the story: some folks are happier when they're bitching. And they'll bitch about whatever will fit their agenda.

Bingo

Commercecomet24
11-23-2016, 07:15 PM

Aw yes, some people aren't happy unless they're not happy!

Todd4State
11-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Because he had a different agent. That's fixed now with Sexton.

He still may leave - I don't know. But nobody here is talking about the role his former agent played.

I think that was a lot of Dan's and thus our problem. Sometimes leaking your name out sometimes can cause you to lose leverage and make you look bad to your employer. It wouldn't surprise me if Dan is looking around still but Sexton is keeping it under wraps better.

Todd4State
11-23-2016, 07:26 PM
And again, even those guys are probably open to a better opportunity. Saban himself has had pretty consistent NFL rumors for a while.

And yet we didn't know about the Giants talking to him last year until THIS year. There is a right way and a wrong to go about looking for every job out there. Dan and his former agent have not been going about it in the best way to say the least.

KB21
11-24-2016, 10:13 AM
If Dan was truly "looking" around, then he would be at another school. Coaches who have the success that Dan has had at MSU don't stay at MSU historically. After 2014, if Dan wanted to leave, he could have had a number of jobs.

Do some of you really believe that the coach who took MSU to its first ever #1 ranking in college football gets looked at by other programs as not being up to standard?

bluelightstar
11-24-2016, 10:24 AM
If Dan was truly "looking" around, then he would be at another school. Coaches who have the success that Dan has had at MSU don't stay at MSU historically. After 2014, if Dan wanted to leave, he could have had a number of jobs.

Do some of you really believe that the coach who took MSU to its first ever #1 ranking in college football gets looked at by other programs as not being up to standard?

Actually yes, I don't think most of the "elite" jobs want Mullen - #1 ranking or not.

Really Clark?
11-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Actually yes, I don't think most of the "elite" jobs want Mullen - #1 ranking or not.

He didn't say "Elite" jobs. He said if he was really looking around to leave, then he would be gone. If Richt hadn't changed his mind, Mullen was next in line for Miami last year.

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2016, 11:32 AM

Dan gets paid more than most would pay for him. As great as that run to #1 was at the end of the year we played 3 great teams and got the shit beat out of us by all 3. AU, A&M, and LSU ended up being good wins but they weren't great teams. This year's A&M win may be Dan's biggest win but if you think having teams that are beat by halftime against Bama is going to get him a top ten job, I don't know what to tell you. Herman had cooled off until he beat the shit out of Louisville.

smootness
11-24-2016, 11:39 AM
And yet we didn't know about the Giants talking to him last year until THIS year. There is a right way and a wrong to go about looking for every job out there. Dan and his former agent have not been going about it in the best way to say the least.

Ok? So now that we've heard about it, time to cut bait, right?

smootness
11-24-2016, 11:41 AM

So we've now narrowed it him only wanting to leave for an elite job...and we're holding that against him like he doesn't want to be here?

bluelightstar
11-24-2016, 12:25 PM
So we've now narrowed it him only wanting to leave for an elite job...and we're holding that against him like he doesn't want to be here?

I'm not holding it against him at all. I love State, but I'd go to UF, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State too.

He didn't say "Elite" jobs. He said if he was really looking around to leave, then he would be gone. If Richt hadn't changed his mind, Mullen was next in line for Miami last year.

Right, I just think there are a lot of programs that *do* consider Mullen up to standard; I just have my doubts that those are the big programs of the world and it has a lot to do with our record against the top 25. There are plenty of programs that would love to have Dan, but I think most of them are equal/less in terms of prestige and certainly in terms of pay.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2016, 12:39 PM

According to his logic. yes. That would be INSANE.

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Heard about what? There haven't been any substantial rumors about Dan going to a specific team thus far like Thai time last year. Sexton has handled this much better than Dan's last agent assuming he even is looking around.

There is a right and a wrong way to go about looking for jobs. Dan was doing it the wrong way. That's why he has a new agent. And Keenum agrees with me since a big reason why he wasn't extended was because he was pretty openly looking around. Just like my boss would have second thoughts about giving me a raise if they knew I was looking around. And probably the same with you and your job whether you realize it or not.

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 12:48 PM
According to his logic. yes. That would be INSANE.

By your logic we should put up with a coach that doesn't correct flaws because we fired Allyn McKeen and sucked in the 60's. You might want to be careful when accusing others about being illogical.

smootness
11-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Heard about what? There haven't been any substantial rumors about Dan going to a specific team thus far like Thai time last year. Sexton has handled this much better than Dan's last agent assuming he even is looking around.

There is a right and a wrong way to go about looking for jobs. Dan was doing it the wrong way. That's why he has a new agent. And Keenum agrees with me since a big reason why he wasn't extended was because he was pretty openly looking around. Just like my boss would have second thoughts about giving me a raise if they knew I was looking around. And probably the same with you and your job whether you realize it or not.

So you're fine with him looking around, so long as you don't hear about it?

lamont
11-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Had he wanted the Maryland job, he would be the current coach at Maryland.

I agree with that. Doesn't mean he wasn't talking to them though

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 01:56 PM
So you're fine with him looking around, so long as you don't hear about it?

Yes. Because if it is getting out that he is looking here there and wherever else it makes it look like he's trying to leave and not committed to our program and it gets used against us in recruiting. That hurts him and us. Again- right and wrong way to look for a job. Broadcasting that you are looking around is not the right way to do it in any job unless your spouse is moving to another city.

lamont
11-24-2016, 01:57 PM

And he got looked at KB. He damn near landed the Miami job. Richt getting pushed was the only reason he isn't at Miami right now. Georgia's AD wanted him- but was forced to hire Smart. As far as Maryland- my guess was he just decided he had it better here.

It's not just a matter of wanting out and then going. Somebody has to hire you at a place you want to go- you know that. My guess is Sexton is working for him at Arizona and Oregon- and if those don't work out then he will remain at State and coach for his job in 2017.

ScottH
11-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Yes. Broadcasting that you are looking around is not the right way to do it in any job

Neither Dan nor Diamond put it out to the media he was looking. That's the "135 pound gorilla in the room" problem.

The flip side is Dan didn't quash the rumor either.

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Neither Dan nor Diamond put it out to the media he was looking. That's the "135 pound gorilla in the room" problem.

The flip side is Dan didn't quash the rumor either.

I think that's where Sexton comes in. He knows how to handle that other aspect of coaching job searches as far as how and when to release it. I would imagine that the majority of the time that contracts and etc. are worked out and ironed out before the rumors even make the rounds most of the time. I can't really speak to exactly how that works because I'm not In that industry.