PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Warning: Soccer Post - USMNT Fans: Klinsmann Sacked!!!

War Machine Dawg
11-22-2016, 11:52 AM
It's party time for WMD as Klinsmann was sacked yesterday. I assume I am in the majority of USMNT fans to say "good riddance." Looks like Bruce Arena will be taking over as the new boss. I was really hoping the Peter Vermes rumors would pan out to be true. I'd really like to see some fresh blood infused into the program instead of going for the retread. But as long as we're getting younger and faster in our selections, I'll be happy. I just hope that Arena doesn't stop selecting the foreign born players that are actually talented.

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2016, 12:53 PM
I wish international soccer would disband. All its good for is getting people hurt. It probably cost us two vital points this past weekend.

smootness
11-22-2016, 01:04 PM
It was time for Klinsmann to go as coach, but he had great ideas about the long-term future of American soccer. I really hope they continue to overhaul the developmental program and continue to go after dual-nationals. Arena is on the record as disliking the idea of players not born in America and believing most of the national team should come from MLS, so he better not be around long.

I just think this is a dangerous time for American soccer. We can continue to progress in important ways on the developmental side, or we risk taking about a 10-year step backward in a very short period of time.

DawgHouseUnited
11-22-2016, 01:54 PM
I guess the Wenger-to-the-US thing didn't work out....

DawgHouseUnited
11-22-2016, 01:55 PM
I wish international soccer would disband. All its good for is getting people hurt. It probably cost us two vital points this past weekend.

Haha I was glad to get through that with a draw!

jumbo
11-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Thank God. It was embarrassing how out coached he was in the past two WCQs. Now hopefully we can hire someone who actually understands player roles and where to play them.

EngDawg
11-22-2016, 02:33 PM
Mullen to USMNT

DudyDawg
11-22-2016, 02:34 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/11/21/13706840/bruce-arena-next-usa-soccer-head-coach
Little info on arena. He doesn't exactly get me tingling, but I don't see us missing the WC with him in charge. We need a slam dunk hire for Technical Director, although I'm not sure who that would be

jumbo
11-22-2016, 03:38 PM
Is Arena going to be the permanent coach? Or is he temporary?

War Machine Dawg
11-22-2016, 08:33 PM
Is Arena going to be the permanent coach? Or is he temporary?

Permanent-ish. No one really seems to know. I'm guessing he'll see us through this WC cycle and then we'll make a decision. He was the safest hire for where we sit currently. While I'm a little nervous considering his comments about foreign born and dual national players, the guy can flat coach. He'll get us qualified, which is the biggest thing right now. And he's said all the right things in the interviews today. So we'll just have to wait and see.

War Machine Dawg
11-22-2016, 08:38 PM
It was time for Klinsmann to go as coach, but he had great ideas about the long-term future of American soccer. I really hope they continue to overhaul the developmental program and continue to go after dual-nationals. Arena is on the record as disliking the idea of players not born in America and believing most of the national team should come from MLS, so he better not be around long.

I just think this is a dangerous time for American soccer. We can continue to progress in important ways on the developmental side, or we risk taking about a 10-year step backward in a very short period of time.

Completely agree. Really wish we could've convinced him to stay as Technical Director. But he still wants to be on the touchline, so he's gone altogether. I suspect he'll pop up in a major European league, maybe the PL, sooner rather than later. And his style may work better as a club coach.

That said, MLS is improving. We're developing some good players there: Morris and Nagbe immediately come to mind. It's a damn crime that Klinsmann didn't even have Nagbe in the alternates pool for the last two games. He's been a major breath of fresh air and played well when given the chance.

jumbo
11-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Permanent-ish. No one really seems to know. I'm guessing he'll see us through this WC cycle and then we'll make a decision. He was the safest hire for where we sit currently. While I'm a little nervous considering his comments about foreign born and dual national players, the guy can flat coach. He'll get us qualified, which is the biggest thing right now. And he's said all the right things in the interviews today. So we'll just have to wait and see.

this is what I figured.