PDA

View Full Version : Advantage of not going to a bowl.

Bucky Dog
11-22-2016, 08:12 AM
I have been thinking about what not going to a bowl might mean for our football team. I know Mullen has put a lot of emphasis on the extra practices the team gets and it help younger players develop. I'm not sure I completely buy that, but ok. It is a reward for the players as well in most cases.

What we all agree upon is our recruiting has fallen off the past few years specifically. I know many will say it wasn't because of bowl practice, but more on Mullen thinking he was moving on to greener pastures. That's fair to say, but being almost 100% sure Mullen will be back, I started thinking that with a renewed vigor and excitement for MSU, this time available now can increase our focus in recruiting. It will also give him time to assess his staff, and his own philosophies IMO. Think about the time spent fully in December evaluating specific players and needs and visiting or calling and setting up officials in January to close strong in February. At least this is my hope so let's make this happen Dan!

Dawg61
11-22-2016, 08:21 AM
Advantage of not going to a bowl is that we don't have to watch our secondary play another game

starkvegasdawg
11-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Or it could just give Mullen more time to go to interviews arranged by Sexton.

Dawgface
11-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Never realized there were any positives to not going to a bowl. I'm all fired up now. :)

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2016, 08:28 AM
The single best part of us not going to bowl is Mullen sitting there embarrassed after this season & looking himself in the mirror knowing he has to change things. The crutch of bowl games has lasted way to long

Jack Lambert
11-22-2016, 08:31 AM
More money for Christmas.

smootness
11-22-2016, 08:46 AM
You don't buy that an extra month of practices is good for the development of young players?

msstate7
11-22-2016, 09:05 AM
Or it could just give Mullen more time to go to interviews arranged by Sexton.
Used your pic on tRant

starkvegasdawg
11-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Used your pic on tRant

Glad you like it. Just thought of a subtle edit I may have to make.

msstate7
11-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Glad you like it. Just thought of a subtle edit I may have to make.

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/leo-lewis-appreciation-thread/67121598/

starkvegasdawg
11-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Edit made. What do you think?

msstate7
11-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Edit made. What do you think?

Much better haha

Bucky Dog
11-22-2016, 09:20 AM
I said I don't buy it completely but given where we are at now I'm just saying with the extra time to devote to recruiting, there will be NO excuses if this class is a failure. As long as Dan is committed here, he has to take advantage of this month of December and reevaluate where he and the program are and the talent he needs to bring in.

Come on guys, trying to stay positive! Glass half full.

Cooterpoot
11-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Bowl practices are huge. Especially when you have a lot of December grads coming in like we do. Think back to when Dak blew up in the Liberty Bowl. He'd been decent but that game was pretty much his coming out party. He improved during that practice time.

Coursesuper
11-22-2016, 09:55 AM
This makes zero sense, the is no positive not going to a bowl. Zero,zilch nada.

Bubb Rubb
11-22-2016, 09:56 AM
All you need to do now is size down the NCAA logo to the size of the girl's head and take out the white box around it...and it's perfect.

RC3
11-22-2016, 10:14 AM
Well I've heard that the players get the extra practices for a low level bowl. Can't say that I blame them

smootness
11-22-2016, 11:08 AM
I said I don't buy it completely but given where we are at now I'm just saying with the extra time to devote to recruiting, there will be NO excuses if this class is a failure. As long as Dan is committed here, he has to take advantage of this month of December and reevaluate where he and the program are and the talent he needs to bring in.

Come on guys, trying to stay positive! Glass half full.

No, I get the point about recruiting. I'm just saying that I don't think there's any question that an additional month of practice (most of which is usually devoted to the young players) is good for the development of young players.

Gutter Cobreh
11-22-2016, 11:35 AM
If we aren't bowling this year, would it be too soon for Mullen to use that time to begin prepping for "wake surfing" season, or is it too cold???***

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-22-2016, 11:57 AM
^^ This

HoopsDawg
11-22-2016, 11:59 AM
I have been thinking about what not going to a bowl might mean for our football team. I know Mullen has put a lot of emphasis on the extra practices the team gets and it help younger players develop. I'm not sure I completely buy that, but ok. It is a reward for the players as well in most cases.

What we all agree upon is our recruiting has fallen off the past few years specifically. I know many will say it wasn't because of bowl practice, but more on Mullen thinking he was moving on to greener pastures. That's fair to say, but being almost 100% sure Mullen will be back, I started thinking that with a renewed vigor and excitement for MSU, this time available now can increase our focus in recruiting. It will also give him time to assess his staff, and his own philosophies IMO. Think about the time spent fully in December evaluating specific players and needs and visiting or calling and setting up officials in January to close strong in February. At least this is my hope so let's make this happen Dan!

Thoughtful post and I agree with some of your points. Mullen needs to be completely focused on getting his staff right and recruiting. Very important recruiting class.

Statecoachingblows**
11-22-2016, 12:02 PM
There is no benefit. We stunk it up several times this year. We had several chances to salvage the season and get to a bowl but it didn't happen. The hope, at least for me, is that the minute the season ends everyone involved takes a long hard look in the mirror and sees that there were chances that were missed. Use it as motivation to get better, to learn, to overcome adversity, to wrap up when you tackle, take better angles, catch the damn ball, recruit harder, strain more, and any other cliche metaphor out there.

blacklistedbully
11-22-2016, 12:30 PM
nm

blacklistedbully
11-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Advantage of not going to a bowl is that we don't have to watch our secondary play another game

Now that was funny! Sad, but true...and funny.