PDA

View Full Version : For Eveyone's Education

Spiderman
11-20-2016, 11:34 PM
and I wish the powers that be would pin this.

The 3-4 or 4-3 defense is NOT an alignment but a defensive scheme. It is gap responsibility. Either a 1 or 2 gap defense.

A few years back, I beat my head against the wall trying to convince people that the Spread was NOT an offensive scheme, but an ALIGNMENT.

TUSK
11-20-2016, 11:38 PM

The 3-4 or 4-3 defense is NOT an alignment but a defensive scheme. It is gap responsibility. Either a 1 or 2 gap defense.

A few years back, I beat my head against the wall trying to convince people that the Spread was NOT an offensive scheme, but an ALIGNMENT.

Lemme ask you this, Spiderman:

Bama runs a "3-4" but they almost always have a Jack LB on the edge... so, it looks like a 4-2-5.... and I assume the DL protect the same gaps, regardless of alignment...

Is that what you mean?

Spiderman
11-20-2016, 11:42 PM
Lemme ask you this, Spiderman:

Bama runs a "3-4" but they almost always have a Jack LB on the edge... so, it looks like a 4-2-5.... and I assume the DL protect the same gaps, regardless of alignment...

Is that what you mean?

Again, alignment or personnel means nothing. It's all gap responsibility in the run fits.

Coursesuper
11-21-2016, 01:27 AM
Again, alignment or personnel means nothing. It's all gap responsibility in the run fits.

I was trying to be simple for the guy. Most haven't played the game and don't get gap responsibilities or much more for that fact. If they can see a front they might just have a clue.

grinnindawg
11-21-2016, 06:52 AM
This week would be good time to teach our front 7 that the gap responsibilities have changed.

bulldawg28
11-21-2016, 08:45 AM

This is true the problem is we don't have the personnel to play 3-4 gap responsibility. You have to have bad ass physical LB's inside and we only have one in Lewis. Brown and Gerri are outside backers at best.

thf24
11-21-2016, 08:51 AM
This is true the problem is we don't have the personnel to play 3-4 gap responsibility. You have to have bad ass physical LB's inside and we only have one in Lewis. Brown and Gerri are outside backers at best.

Was about to say the same thing... I'm no expert and this is probably oversimplifying it, but doesn't personnel come into play when the switch of alignments means you have a 240 lb linebacker in charge of a given gap instead of a 300 lb DT?

Jack Lambert
11-21-2016, 08:52 AM
If you put four on the line and line them up in the gap our LB will be a little more free to move around.

fader2103
11-21-2016, 09:06 AM
The personnel does play a roll into running the scheme. Its easy no matter what scheme you run you have to have all gaps accounted for. the 3-4 you usually need a BIG NG to account for both A gaps.

Thick
11-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Hopefully Errol Thompson will be the other bad ass LBer with Leo next year.

HoopsDawg
11-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Hopefully Errol Thompson will be the other bad ass LBer with Leo next year.

Hopefully we will scrap this sorry scheme and get back to a defense that our players understand so we can play fast and be in position.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Does Bama still follow this model...I thought all the talk was that Saban had downsized his LB's for speed

HoopsDawg
11-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Does Bama still follow this model...I thought all the talk was that Saban had downsized his LB's for speed

They have gone with better coverage guys at safety instead of the old school John Lynch type. Their LB's are freaks, we aren't signing Rueben Fosters.

bulldawg28
11-21-2016, 11:24 AM

They became faster they didn't take away the physicality component. Bad ass Imo has nothing to do with size.

Percho
11-21-2016, 11:47 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80d6974b/article/effectiveness-of-34-vs-43-is-found-in-the-numbers

Have Fun.