PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dan, give Charlie a call...

Political Hack
11-20-2016, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't mind a one year wonder at DC right now.

Ari Gold
11-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Yes.. And then stay the **** down.

MetEdDawg
11-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Pipe dream. Mullen won't do it. We need to pay a million or more to get him and Dan won't allow that.

WinningIsRelentless
11-20-2016, 07:05 PM
Pipe dream. Mullen won't do it. We need to pay a million or more to get him and Dan won't allow that.
No we wouldn't. He is going to go where he wants to go and not worry about money because UT will have to pay out the remainder of what he is owed off of his current deal.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 07:12 PM
My list would be Tom Allen, Tim DeRuyter, Appalachain State head coach, and a chicken. All would be upgrades over Sirmon.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 07:13 PM
No we wouldn't. He is going to go where he wants to go and not worry about money because UT will have to pay out the remainder of what he is owed off of his current deal.

Which would save us money. LT would be so proud.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 07:13 PM

What do you mean Dan won't allow it?

MetEdDawg
11-20-2016, 07:17 PM
What do you mean Dan won't allow it?

Don't you think that if we wanted a big name DC we would have gotten one by now? Every other team in the West outside of OM has made big time DC hires in the last 5 years or had big time DC hires already. We haven't and I think there's a reason.

I'm not in the know, but there's a reason to me that we not only keep some of our staff around that should have been gone a while back, but we have had opportunities to bring in big time DCs and we haven't. Doesn't even seem like we've tried. If someone knows different set me straight but I get the feeling Dan wants a DC he can meddle with and an established DC won't allow that.

RocketDawg
11-20-2016, 07:28 PM

I guess it'd depend on his UT contract, but normally wouldn't whatever he makes at a new job be deducted from the $5M/yr that Texas will have to pay him for some time (whatever his contractual period is)? So as far as he's concerned, he'd be working free.

WinningIsRelentless
11-20-2016, 07:36 PM
I guess it'd depend on his UT contract, but normally wouldn't whatever he makes at a new job be deducted from the $5M/yr that Texas will have to pay him for some time (whatever his contractual period is)? So as far as he's concerned, he'd be working free.

Correct say we pay him 500k ut would normally have to pay 4.5mm

Dawgbite
11-20-2016, 07:36 PM

All our DC's are one year wonders. They are here for one year and we wonder if they know what the heck they are doing!

Bucky Dog
11-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Please get off the Fire Sirmon thing for now. It's his first year as DC and he definitely has had a lot to learn. But Dan also needs to back off and let him coach. Sirmon is a top recruiter and we don't need to be starting this shit for now.

Dolphus Raymond
11-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Or we could contractually defer his salar until his severance is fully paid out

missouridawg
11-20-2016, 07:51 PM
My list would be Tom Allen, Tim DeRuyter, Appalachain State head coach, and a chicken. All would be upgrades over Sirmon.

DeRuyter would be excellent. I mentioned this the day he was fired at Fresno.

bulldawg28
11-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Please get off the Fire Sirmon thing for now. It's his first year as DC and he definitely has had a lot to learn. But Dan also needs to back off and let him coach. Sirmon is a top recruiter and we don't need to be starting this shit for now.

Strong has been a top recruiter at Florida and Louisville. Simmons has no feel for the game adjustments you can't coach that

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Don't you think that if we wanted a big name DC we would have gotten one by now? Every other team in the West outside of OM has made big time DC hires in the last 5 years or had big time DC hires already. We haven't and I think there's a reason.

I'm not in the know, but there's a reason to me that we not only keep some of our staff around that should have been gone a while back, but we have had opportunities to bring in big time DCs and we haven't. Doesn't even seem like we've tried. If someone knows different set me straight but I get the feeling Dan wants a DC he can meddle with and an established DC won't allow that.

I thought you were saying that Dan keeps their salary low for a reason.

I think Dan's meddling is the main reason we can't get one. But I'm not sure that means that he doesn't want one.

I don't know that Dan knows what he really wants on defense to be honest with you which I think is one reason why he was so puzzled during the postgame interview. He says he wants an aggressive defense every year but then he demands that we play soft coverage bend but don't break with very generic blitzes during game time.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 07:59 PM
DeRuyter would be excellent. I mentioned this the day he was fired at Fresno.

And he has a history of turning around defenses and he coached at Texas A&M just prior to them joining the SEC. He does run a 3-4 but if he comes here at least our guys would have spent a year in a 3-4 system. I'm thinking it's more about who the coach is rather than the actual scheme and the players in our case.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2016, 08:04 PM
Have you guys not noticed that when we play well defensively Dan doesn't take the credit and when we don't play well, Dan takes the blame. That's called leadership. Dan doesn't meddle near as much as this board thinks.

There's only so much you can do defensively and we have had different schemes from Collins to Manny and now to Sirmon. If we hired a good DC like a Jim Leavitt, Dan would let him do his job.

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Charlie Strong, nor any other DC that is not okay with being a yes man to Professor Mullen wont come here

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Have you guys not noticed that when we play well defensively Dan doesn't take the credit and when we don't play well, Dan takes the blame. That's called leadership. Dan doesn't meddle near as much as this board thinks.

There's only so much you can do defensively and we have had different schemes from Collins to Manny and now to Sirmon. If we hired a good DC like a Jim Leavitt, Dan would let him do his job.

This is just false

bluelightstar
11-20-2016, 08:11 PM

"That's just absolutely pathetic," Bulldogs coach Dan Mullen said. "That's a terrible job by our defensive coaching staff." -- Dan Mullen, post-Egg Bowl 2014.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2016, 08:12 PM
This is just false

You're a typical fanatic so I know you can't comprehend what I posted. Mullen was accountable for the horrific 1A/1B, he thought he had innovated something. That atrocity was on him and it's a reason we lost our last 3 games of the season.

He also had a habit of dressing down his assistants on the sidelines. If you notice this year, he hasn't chewed out Sirmon or any of the defensive staff so I think he is trying to learn from past mistakes. He's the head coach so he is responsible for all aspects of the program, but he let's his coaches coach.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2016, 08:14 PM
"That's just absolutely pathetic," Bulldogs coach Dan Mullen said. "That's a terrible job by our defensive coaching staff." -- Dan Mullen, post-Egg Bowl 2014.

It was. He was right. Does that sound like a guy who was calling the defensive plays?

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 08:21 PM
You're a typical fanatic so I know you can't comprehend what I posted. Mullen was accountable for the horrific 1A/1B, he thought he had innovated something. That atrocity was on him and it's a reason we lost our last 3 games of the season.

He also had a habit of dressing down his assistants on the sidelines. If you notice this year, he hasn't chewed out Sirmon or any of the defensive staff so I think he is trying to learn from past mistakes. He's the head coach so he is responsible for all aspects of the program, but he let's his coaches coach.

Haha ok. One big reason he hasnt chewed Sirmons ass on the sideline is because he's just as involved in the D as he is. But continue to dig deeper in the sand

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 08:22 PM

''Well we probably wouldnt have made the playoff anyway'' Dan Mullen 2014 post game presser

HoopsDawg
11-20-2016, 08:24 PM
Haha ok. One big reason he hasnt chewed Sirmons ass on the sideline is because he's just as involved in the D as he is. But continue to dig deeper in the sand

I know you hate Dan. You have made that abundantly clear with your last 500 posts. But I'm pretty confident I know more about the program than you. Dan doesn't want to be hands on with the defense, but if they aren't getting the job done, he will step in. What I would like to see is Dan find someone he trusts so Dan can focus on the offense and running the program. Dan really had to swallow his pride when he brought Manny back, but he thought it was best for MSU. Of course, I can't remember which game it was but he completely chewed him out on the sideline and I knew at that point Manny was gone.

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 08:29 PM
I know you hate Dan. You have made that abundantly clear with your last 500 posts. But I'm pretty confident I know more about the program than you. Dan doesn't want to be hands on with the defense, but if they aren't getting the job done, he will step in. What I would like to see is Dan find someone he trusts so Dan can focus on the offense and running the program. Dan really had to swallow his pride when he brought Manny back, but he thought it was best for MSU. Of course, I can't remember which game it was but he completely chewed him out on the sideline and I knew at that point Manny was gone.

Listen dude Im not gonna get in a pissing contest with you, I have my connections just like everybody says they do on this board. Mullen will Mullen. Mullen is a micromanager and the reason he had to get Diaz is because nobody else would come. We are not going to sign a good DC because no good DC wants to bow to Mullen. Just telling you the truth. Deny if you wish but the proof is on the field. Mullen has called defensive plays at times this year or had a big hand in them.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2016, 08:36 PM
Listen dude Im not gonna get in a pissing contest with you, I have my connections just like everybody says they do on this board. Mullen will Mullen. Mullen is a micromanager and the reason he had to get Diaz is because nobody else would come. We are not going to sign a good DC because no good DC wants to bow to Mullen. Just telling you the truth. Deny if you wish but the proof is on the field. Mullen has called defensive plays at times this year or had a big hand in them.

Yes, of course he has. Mullen made the wrong hire. He was caught off guard by Manny leaving. If you ever posted anything of substance other than "fire dan" then maybe I could take you seriously.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 08:49 PM

Different schemes same philosophy.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Did we offer Tom Allen last time? I feel like I remember him as a candidate.

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Yes, of course he has. Mullen made the wrong hire. He was caught off guard by Manny leaving. If you ever posted anything of substance other than "fire dan" then maybe I could take you seriously.

Jesus. Mullen tried to leave with Manny. All hail HoopsDawg bringer of knowledge and insight

Thick
11-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Strong has 2 more years on his contract that will pay him $10.2 mm if he doesn't accept a job offer within that period. Surely he's not going to piss off that money for a DC position.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Jesus. Mullen tried to leave with Manny. All hail HoopsDawg bringer of knowledge and insight

It's not personal bud. Mullen meddles with the D but not as much as everyone thinks. Go back and read my original post, it's not directed at you but what has become accepted as fact in this board.

Tripp McNeely
11-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Strong has 2 more years on his contract that will pay him $10.2 mm if he doesn't accept a job offer within that period. Surely he's not going to piss off that money for a DC position.

That money's only offset by whatever he makes at the next position

HSVDawg
11-20-2016, 10:20 PM
All our DC's are one year wonders. They are here for one year and we wonder if they know what the heck they are doing!

Actually, Sirmon is only the second one like that, with Torbush being the first. And Torbush was 10x the DC that Sirmon is. That is what is scary.

HSVDawg
11-20-2016, 10:25 PM

Honestly, how could this even be possible? In 8 years he's only had 2 DC's return for year 2 and none for year 3. And the guy you say "caught him off guard" had already left once before. How could he have been even remotely surprised? And even if he was, how is that an excuse for him to hire a 35 year old inebackers coach instead of a seasoned DC?

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Actually, Sirmon is only the second one like that, with Torbush being the first. And Torbush was 10x the DC that Sirmon is. That is what is scary.

True. We are also exactly 10 points per game worse this year than last year in conference games. 36 points per game vs 26. Torbush was 29.4

Spiderman
11-20-2016, 10:32 PM

I was for Allen all the way last year.

As my man Trump would say......Sirmon as DC, bad,bad hire. Not good judgement!!!

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 10:52 PM
Honestly, how could this even be possible? In 8 years he's only had 2 DC's return for year 2 and none for year 3. And the guy you say "caught him off guard" had already left once before. How could he have been even remotely surprised? And even if he was, how is that an excuse for him to hire a 35 year old inebackers coach instead of a seasoned DC?

Employees that are pissed off at their boss and want to stick it to them do stuff like leave covertly all the time. Usually it's in the form of leaving without a two week notice. But in the coaching world leaving the equivalent is just leaving suddenly. Heck, Cannizaro just did that to Manieri a few weeks ago.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 11:02 PM

As my man Trump would say......Sirmon as DC, bad,bad hire. Not good judgement!!!

I think Allen would probably be the best choice. He knows Ole Miss's offense inside and out. He has stopped Alabama and Kiffen before. If it were me, I'd overpay for him and give him a million dollars plus the associate head coach title. I know that would piss Dan off, but I don't really care at this point. He needs a fire lit under his panties or whatever they wear in the north. It probably would end up like Ditka and Ryan with better offensive production relatively speaking to the league that we are in. I think DeRuyter would be a better "fit" because I think he and Dan would get along better. DeRuyter to me is basically a poor man's Charlie Strong but maybe a better DC. I like his SEC history and his history of turning around defenses. I think Dan would respect him. Appalachain State's head coach is more like what we have had the most success with- Sun Belt DC who has had a lot of success in that league. His name is Nate Woody for those wondering. Our two worst DC's under Dan were former power five assistants with no DC experience- Wilson and Sirmon. Manny and Geoff Collins were the Sun Belt guys and they both were much better.

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 11:04 PM

I really liked Allen as well. Going home to Indiana was too good of a chance for him but wished we had made a bigger push for him anyway. Has made a good first year bump for them this year. They were dead last last year in both scoring and total defense and he had a enormous job to get them respectable this year

Spiderman
11-20-2016, 11:11 PM

When he knew his DC had mailed it in a was heading to Fla.

Thick
11-21-2016, 09:26 AM
I stand corrected. Texas owes Strong $10.7mm for the remaining 2 years, and it's guaranteed. Maybe we could get him here for $1.5mm.

DudyDawg
11-21-2016, 11:02 AM
What is the law concerning nepotism in the hiring process in the state of Mississippi? Or in the "not firing hevesy" process?