PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Pigs Strike Back Edition

lamont
11-20-2016, 11:03 AM
1. We are not firing Dan Mullen

2. Let this sink in- We are not firing Dan Mullen. And we are the worst team in the SEC for 2016. People made fun of Boom? They are going bowling. Vandy? More wins than us and beat OM by 3 TD's. Kentucky? Beat us and going bowling. We are the worst team in the SEC. The absolute worst. Thats a hard damn product for even Jimmy Sexton to sell.

3. 661 yards given up. We didnt need any coaches at all for that. We could have just told 11 guys to go out there and do whatever they want- and we wouldnt have done any worse than 661 yards and 58 points. Gerri Green chasing WR's? Really??? He's a ****ing DE. Stop the insanity. Our defensive scheme is shit and so is our effort

4. We have now given up 108 points to Bielema the last 2 seasons. For those of you scoring at home- that's alot. Not to mention- we have given up 109 points the last 2 weeks. At least our coaches get to watch Vandy on film to see what a real defense looks like. Let Mason teach you something guys.

5. Fitz is better as a Soph than Dakota was as a Soph. He only needs 15 yards to go over a thousand yards rushing. Incredible years with his legs. He has alot of growth to go in the passing game- but with 2 more years- he will get there.

6. At least Mullen finally figured out Aeris is our starting RB. So there's that

7. We are not firing Dan Mullen.

8. 58 points. I just cant get over that. Wow. Just ran right the **** over us.

9. Fred balled out with 10 catches for 171 yards. Our offense is going to really miss him next year. We dont have a young Fred waiting in the wings. Thats obvious.

10. Its Egg Bowl week. **** you OM. How did that Leo is having to sit rumor work out for you? #ProbationPlantation better enjoy Saturday- it will be your last for awhile. 5 wins heading into the Egg Bowl and a recruiting class ranked in the 40's- thats what Hugh Freeze is now. Enjoy

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Rando,

I believe with Fitz at the helm along with Williams, we can get back to being a good football team fairly quickly with an average defense.

What steps would you take in the off season to get this defense to average?

We can blame recruiting for us not being Bama, but, after watching Vandy last night, it seems like an average defense shouldn't be all that tough to build.

starkvegasdawg
11-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Of those 661 yards of offense, they had over 450 of them in the first half. They were on pace to get 1,000 yards last night.

lamont
11-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Rando,

I believe with Fitz at the helm along with Williams, we can get back to being a good football team fairly quickly with an average defense.

We can blame recruiting for us not being Bama, but, after watching Vandy last night, it seems like an average defense shouldn't be all that tough to build.

We have 4-3 personnel running a 3-4 defense. You need dominating guys on the DL that command double teams and big, physical animals playing ILB. We don't have that currently. Only pieces of a 3-4 we have that I see are Leo and Simmons. We need to go back to a 4-3 because we don't recruit well enough to run a 3-4

msstate7
11-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Om recruiting class in the 40s now? It's been in the 50s

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2016, 11:20 AM
We have 4-3 personnel running a 3-4 defense. You need dominating guys on the DL that command double teams and big, physical animals playing ILB. We don't have that currently. Only pieces of a 3-4 we have that I see are Leo and Simmons. We need to go back to a 4-3 because we don't recruit well enough to run a 3-4

Fair enough. Do you fire Sirmon to accomplish this?

lamont
11-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Also Shotgun- I'm not convinced we will be a good offense next year. Losing 4 Sr's in the 2 deep OL- 3 starters and one is our Center. Losing Fred. That's going to be a lot for us to replace.

Coursesuper
11-20-2016, 11:26 AM

Agree, but do we have one player in the defensive backfield that can play the position? I see a few athletes but the are lost. Why Green isn't rushing the passer is beyond me he needs to add 15 pounds and get after it at end.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Also Shotgun- I'm not convinced we will be a good offense next year. Losing 4 Sr's in the 2 deep OL- 3 starters and one is our Center. Losing Fred. That's going to be a lot for us to replace.

Fair concerns, but I think we are going to be pretty good. We are so explosive at QB and I'm extremely impresses with the chemistry that A Williams and Fitz have at the mesh point of the zone read. They know each other and offer advanced deception.

Fitz takes pressure off the OL due to his mobility and dual threat. He's more mobile than Dak and defenses have to respect that because a lack discipline is a 75 yard TD whereas with Dak it was a 12 yard gain.

We'all get Story back as well. I get your concerns, but I think we've found and identity now and we'll be pretty explosive on offense. We won't score on LSU or Bama but we'll put up 30+ against KY, Ark, OM, and BYU. That alone gets us to 8 wins most likely.

DogsofAnarchy
11-20-2016, 11:58 AM
Glad you are finally on board. It is NOT the players. We have enough players to beat S Alabama, BYU, KY and ARK. None of those teams have EVER out recruited us.

2. Let this sink in- We are not firing Dan Mullen. And we are the worst team in the SEC for 2016. People made fun of Boom? They are going bowling. Vandy? More wins than us and beat OM by 3 TD's. Kentucky? Beat us and going bowling. We are the worst team in the SEC. The absolute worst. Thats a hard damn product for even Jimmy Sexton to sell.

3. 661 yards given up. We didnt need any coaches at all for that. We could have just told 11 guys to go out there and do whatever they want- and we wouldnt have done any worse than 661 yards and 58 points. Gerri Green chasing WR's? Really??? He's a ****ing DE. Stop the insanity. Our defensive scheme is shit and so is our effort

4. We have now given up 108 points to Bielema the last 2 seasons. For those of you scoring at home- that's alot. Not to mention- we have given up 109 points the last 2 weeks. At least our coaches get to watch Vandy on film to see what a real defense looks like. Let Mason teach you something guys.

5. Fitz is better as a Soph than Dakota was as a Soph. He only needs 15 yards to go over a thousand yards rushing. Incredible years with his legs. He has alot of growth to go in the passing game- but with 2 more years- he will get there.

6. At least Mullen finally figured out Aeris is our starting RB. So there's that

9. Fred balled out with 10 catches for 171 yards. Our offense is going to really miss him next year. We dont have a young Fred waiting in the wings. Thats obvious.

10. Its Egg Bowl week. **** you OM. How did that Leo is having to sit rumor work out for you? #ProbationPlantation better enjoy Saturday- it will be your last for awhile. 5 wins heading into the Egg Bowl and a recruiting class ranked in the 40's- thats what Hugh Freeze is now. Enjoy

Alphadog
11-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Can you explain the difference for us amateurs. I look out there and see 4 down linemen and 3 linebackers a lot of the time. How is this considered a 4-3. I assume we are just walking a linebacker up to play the DE roll but wouldn't that essentially be a 4-3?

Coursesuper
11-20-2016, 12:03 PM
Can you explain the difference for us amateurs. I look out there and see 4 down linemen and 3 linebackers a lot of the time. How is this considered a 4-3. I assume we are just walking a linebacker up to play the DE roll but wouldn't that essentially be a 4-3?

It's about alignment more than anything, if there is a d lineman over the head of the center it's a 3-4 look, if there are two d linemen over the heads of the guards it's a 4-3 look. This is ve y simplified but this is the gist.

justwin
11-20-2016, 12:05 PM

Agree. Other than attrition, I see our defensive staff returning, but you have to switch to a 4-3. Sirmon said in the past that he is adaptable; okay. Then, make the switch. I'm tired of seeing WLBs and safeties trying to hold edge on LOS vs OTs instead of a DE. I think our cbs only responsibility should be the wr in front of you, quit looking in the backfield at the qb on every play & letting receivers run right past you. But, I also think we need to commit to playing man, bump-run coverage. This soft zone, playing on your heels approach is not sustainable. I'm sure Buckley wants to coach the cbs that way, and playing man ends up paying off for you over the course of a season. It is also the best way that you can give yourself a chance to knock off better teams. But, Buckley needs to camp out in SFL these next 2 months and land some cb recruits that have the skills & instincts for the position b/c we don't have any of that on campus right now.

Alphadog
11-20-2016, 12:17 PM
That's what I'm saying. I look out there last night and it looks to me that a lot of the time we have 2 DTs over the guards and 2 DEs. Why is it so hard to just change the alignment and play a 4-3?

RougeDawg
11-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Rando,

I would stop the insanity first. No matter our DC or scheme we play the same soft as shit defense, and that's all Mullen. Secondly we can't keep a quality DC due to dans meddling. See sentence 1.

Our largest problem is effort and want to win. You also have to want to be somewhere and have leaders that display all of these properties. Our main leader has proven the last few off seasons, he would rather be somewhere else if they'll have him. This translates into the effort we are seeing too to bottom, an effort level that has dropped off the last 3 seasons in the same proportion our team has been made up of players brought in by the lackluster recruiting effort that has been put in.

Teams and organizations take on the mentalities of their leaders. We need to fix this item and we will start winning. The talent is there, their leader doesn't inspire them to play great.

BoomBoom
11-20-2016, 12:24 PM

Anyone who says we can't fire Mullen gives up any right to criticize him, because that line of thinking is Mullen strategy to a T. Playing not to lose, instead of accepting what you are currently doing will never work and making a change/taking a chance.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Really all it comes down to is that this was the most underprepared team every single week you might as well say. I've never seen so many missed tackles in my life. No physicality at all. It's not like Arkansas is a finesse team. They just line up and come right at you. Yet somehow we couldn't make any adjustments or even try to. The holes were a mile wide. Coaches call it being out of place. I call it a team ready for the season to be over with. The effort is what's been most disappointing. Yes bad schemes but I saw guys throw in the towel.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 12:34 PM
I would stop the insanity first. No matter our DC or scheme we play the same soft as shit defense, and that's all Mullen. Secondly we can't keep a quality DC due to dans meddling. See sentence 1.

Our largest problem is effort and want to win. You also have to want to be somewhere and have leaders that display all of these properties. Our main leader has proven the last few off seasons, he would rather be somewhere else if they'll have him. This translates into the effort we are seeing too to bottom, an effort level that has dropped off the last 3 seasons in the same proportion our team has been made up of players brought in by the lackluster recruiting effort that has been put in.

Teams and organizations take on the mentalities of their leaders. We need to fix this item and we will start winning. The talent is there, their leader doesn't inspire them to play great.

Well then we need to fire Mickey Hollimon.

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Om recruiting class in the 40s now? It's been in the 50s

I see 55 on 247

Coursesuper
11-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Well then we need to fire Mickey Hollimon.

If only this could go the way of the basketball hire, RA got pissed enough to take matters into his own very capable hands and shat got done. But I don't see it happening this time around to many lining up on the other side of things. Same crowd that stuck us with the status quo.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 12:51 PM
If only this could go the way of the basketball hire, RA got pissed enough to take matters into his own very capable hands and shat got done. But I don't see it happening this time around to many lining up on the other side of things. Same crowd that stuck us with the status quo.

I'm afraid you are right. Our best era as far as hiring coaches was when that group stayed the hell away with Byrne.

tcdog70
11-20-2016, 12:52 PM
You can tell our Def. Staff has no confidence in our Dbacks, because we are recruiting about 6 JUCO Dbacks. If your Dbacks
suck you are in big trouble with today's offenses. The main problem I see is our Dline doesn't keep the Oline occupied and they are killing our Line backers. It is had to make a tackle if the Guard is blowing your ass up. Then you have safety's that can't tackle and take piss poor angles. We blitz some but never get to the QB,Does our staff just not know how to Blitz? For Me I'll take Joe Lee back. I'll bet he could stop the Hogs at least one time.

defiantdog
11-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Recruiting has caught up to us as well. We are starting a walk-on at lb and we have several walk-ons playing special teams. Put this in perspective..... Alabama is playing 5* freshmen on special teams while we have fricken walk-ons. No, we aren't going to recruit like Bama. But we need to pick up our game if we want to consistently get better every year. Until then, I expect us to be mediocre.

lamont
11-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Anyone who says we can't fire Mullen gives up any right to criticize him, because that line of thinking is Mullen strategy to a T. Playing not to lose, instead of accepting what you are currently doing will never work and making a change/taking a chance.

I didnt say we "cant". I said "we're not"

BoomBoom
11-20-2016, 02:16 PM
I didnt say we "cant". I said "we're not"

Same difference.

JoseBrown
11-20-2016, 02:57 PM
Same difference.

Not quite

BoomBoom
11-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Not quite

How so? All i see is that we are too afraid of what will be said in the media or what coach we may get to pull the trigger, even when we know it would be the right move. That is the definition of playing not to lose. With no thinking ahead to boot, just like Mullen.

Bothrops
11-20-2016, 03:08 PM
We will be an average team next year with a nice qb, and go 5-7. And that's if we get a defensive coordinator.

Sacrifice
11-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Is it me or are we slowing down the offense some. I've been noticing the last 3 or 4 games we've been setting the OL and Fitz has been looking to the sideline for adjustments more than earlier in the season. He seems to be really helping Fitz out

lamont
11-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Is it me or are we slowing down the offense some. I've been noticing the last 3 or 4 games we've been setting the OL and Fitz has been looking to the sideline for adjustments more than earlier in the season. He seems to be really helping Fitz out

we are doing alot more "check with me's" now. Has certainly made the offense better

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 03:37 PM
we are doing alot more "check with me's" now. Has certainly made the offense better

RP I love how hard Leo plays but I swear I saw him run himself out at least half a dozen plays last night. He's agressive which I like but he still seems a bit undisciplined and yes I know it's not just him but what your take. I know on the first long td run if he steps in the hole he makes the stop but he jumped inside. The defense is just lost. It's like we are 2 completely different teams, offense ok, defense sucks.

lamont
11-20-2016, 03:53 PM
RP I love how hard Leo plays but I swear I saw him run himself out at least half a dozen plays last night. He's agressive which I like but he still seems a bit undisciplined and yes I know it's not just him but what your take. I know on the first long td run if he steps in the hole he makes the stop but he jumped inside. The defense is just lost. It's like we are 2 completely different teams, offense ok, defense sucks.

Yep. He is good- but still a R-Fr. Sometimes his reads are really good...others? Not so much. Typical inconsistency you see in young players. Those bad reads and such will shrink with age

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Yep. He is good- but still a R-Fr. Sometimes his reads are really good...others? Not so much. Typical inconsistency you see in young players. Those bad reads and such will shrink with age

I agree. Appreciate the info. At least he's playing aggressive, maybe running himself out of some plays but at least he ain't loafing. I like hearing your breakdowns(they're much better without the sarcasm lol). Wish you would do a little more breakdowns and analysis for us. Thanks.

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2016, 04:28 PM
How so? All i see is that we are too afraid of what will be said in the media or what coach we may get to pull the trigger, even when we know it would be the right move. That is the definition of playing not to lose. With no thinking ahead to boot, just like Mullen.

I hear Rick Ray is available.

RougeDawg
11-20-2016, 04:35 PM
Not sure how visible it was last night to everyone, but from the endzone you could see a lot of the defenses problems. Maybe it's been happening all year but last night it was really bad. When we would bring pressure or stunt it appears that all of our guys would all try to attack the same area of the line or gap. For instance, one play AJ Jefferson ran a cross over stunt behind whomever was playing LT, LT stays there and never stunts across, then two LB's go crashing into the same hole. Given this "gap/hole" never was even there we now had 4 defenders all trying to run through the same non existent hole and were all blocked by two O Linemen. This was on the first or second long TD run Whitney Ark heading north. Happened too many times to count and was the main reason it looked like we were playing witn8-9 defenders most plays. It was pretty pathetic to see it. I just poured a stronger drink because I knew it was gonna be a long one.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 04:42 PM
Not sure how visible it was last night to everyone, but from the endzone you could see a lot of the defenses problems. Maybe it's been happening all year but last night it was really bad. When we would bring pressure or stunt it appears that all of our guys would all try to attack the same area of the line or gap. For instance, one play AJ Jefferson ran a cross over stunt behind whomever was playing LT, LT stays there and never stunts across, then two LB's go crashing into the same hole. Given this "gap/hole" never was even there we now had 4 defenders all trying to run through the same non existent hole and were all blocked by two O Linemen. This was on the first or second long TD run Whitney Ark heading north. Happened too many times to count and was the main reason it looked like we were playing witn8-9 defenders most plays. It was pretty pathetic to see it. I just poured a stronger drink because I knew it was gonna be a long one.

I noticed it too. The linebackers did it all night. I kept telling my son that's why the holes are so big cause our defense is all bunching up. Defense just looks lost. As much as our offense has improved our defense has gone that far backwards.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 04:44 PM
We gotta give a little love to our ol. Only given up 2 sacks in the last 3 games and we are running the football.

lamont
11-20-2016, 04:50 PM

This is such a stupid reply by people.

Scott Stricklin ****ed up and hired Rick Ray. He picked Ray over other guys- one of which is Joe Dooley- now the HC at FGC. Dooley has been to 3 straight postseasons and won 66 games in his 3 years there. Thats why the decision to fire Ray was taken away from Scott and Ben Howland was dumped in his lap to hire. We have seen articles about Cohen being in the room asking Mullen questions when he was hired- butwe never saw any of them when Ray was hired. Now you know why.

Throwing RR at people who suggest getting rid of Mullen may be the right thing to do is just not a smart reply. Our football program is not in disarry or called the "most dysfunctional program in America". Firing Stands had to be done. Hiring RR was a choice by Strick- but he was not our only option. Just like hiring Croom over Jimbo Fisher was an LT choice and mistake.

BoomBoom
11-20-2016, 04:57 PM

Youre right, hiring may go bad. Better never try to win, rather than risk losing.

maroonmania
11-20-2016, 05:01 PM
I noticed it too. The linebackers did it all night. I kept telling my son that's why the holes are so big cause our defense is all bunching up. Defense just looks lost. As much as our offense has improved our defense has gone that far backwards.

Yep, our scheme last night was terrible. There were probably 4 or 5 times where we got caught with all of our defenders on the interior allowing the Arkansas linemen to just seal off the edge leaving nothing but wide open spaces for the Arkansas RB going out wide. That just can't happen repeatedly but it did.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 05:09 PM
Yep, our scheme last night was terrible. There were probably 4 or 5 times where we got caught with all of our defenders on the interior allowing the Arkansas linemen to just seal off the edge leaving nothing but wide open spaces for the Arkansas RB going out wide. That just can't happen repeatedly but it did.

Yep we made it way to easy on them. Heck they just toyed with our d. I understand adapting to a new DC and all but we played way better earlier in the year. I know we have been playing the younger guys a whole lot more the last 4-5 weeks and hoping that's part of it. Just a loss to describe what I watched last night after the defense played so well against am.

dawg27
11-20-2016, 05:25 PM
Fair concerns, but I think we are going to be pretty good. We are so explosive at QB and I'm extremely impresses with the chemistry that A Williams and Fitz have at the mesh point of the zone read. They know each other and offer advanced deception.

Fitz takes pressure off the OL due to his mobility and dual threat. He's more mobile than Dak and defenses have to respect that because a lack discipline is a 75 yard TD whereas with Dak it was a 12 yard gain.

We'all get Story back as well. I get your concerns, but I think we've found and identity now and we'll be pretty explosive on offense. We won't score on LSU or Bama but we'll put up 30+ against KY, Ark, OM, and BYU. That alone gets us to 8 wins most likely.

I agree fitz is explosive, williams is a great running back, but next year who have we got to catch the ball,ross is gone,

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 05:46 PM
I agree fitz is explosive, williams is a great running back, but next year who have we got to catch the ball,ross is gone,

Gray, Dear, Mixon, Thomas, Couch has made good strides as a Freshman, Green, hearing Todd may give us good min

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 05:51 PM
Gray, Dear, Mixon, Thomas, Couch has made good strides as a Freshman, Green, hearing Todd may give us good min

I think we'll be ok receiving wise. Justin Johnson has shown some flashes too and Jordan Thomas has potential. Aeris can catch the ball out of the backfield as well.

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 05:52 PM
I think we'll be ok receiving wise. Justin Johnson has shown some flashes too and Jordan Thomas has potential. Aeris can catch the ball out of the backfield as well.

I think Gibson can catch out of the backfield also.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 06:01 PM
I think Gibson can catch out of the backfield also.

Just haven't seen enough of him to judge that yet but you're probably right. I think receiving wise we'll be fine across the board.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Just haven't seen enough of him to judge that yet but you're probably right. I think receiving wise we'll be fine across the board.

What I think it ultimately comes down to on both sides of the ball is the JUCO's we bring in and getting them to contribute ASAP. We need that Guidry guy from Hinds really bad and we need Champion and we need To get Hayes and have them step in right away. It baffles me as to why we aren't looking for a JUCO center unless we're looking at a grad transfer from somewhere and I'm unaware of it.

I think Simmons and Spencer should be playing more than they are. We need Sweat, Pope, Autry and whomever else we get to have an impact immediately and we need Fletcher Adams to make a huge step. Leo is going to be really good. I like Green's effort most of the time. I might keep him at linebacker because I think the depth chart at linebacker will be slightly thinner there than on the line. Gray and Jung will be seniors but they need to take a step forward and we could use a JUCO linebacker whether we are a 4-3 or a 3-4 team next year. Graham has improved throughout the year, Durr has looked OK at times but needs to step up and then Peters will hopefully improve at corner as well. McLaurin has played well at times and I don't know what's going on with Bryant but I hope we get the 2015 version back next year. I know we're trying to get some JUCO DB's in for next year as well so hopefully they can help as well.

Coursesuper
11-20-2016, 06:25 PM

Who is going to stretch the field, Gray will try but he's 5'9" and can't really run away from CB's the other guys are serviceable but we lack a homerun guy unless one of the redshirts steps up out of the blue.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Who is going to stretch the field, Gray will try but he's 5'9" and can't really run away from CB's the other guys are serviceable but we lack a homerun guy unless one of the redshirts steps up out of the blue.

His size definitely is a liability and we refuse to use him in the slot. I think of we lined him up in the slot he would be able to still stretch the defense out some but it would be an easier match up even though the outside receivers are generally your deep threats conventionally.

Coursesuper
11-20-2016, 06:37 PM
You have to stretch a defense from the edge where the safeties are not covering the middle by alignment.

AROB44
11-20-2016, 06:41 PM
What do you think about Couch....

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 06:45 PM

Mixon small but he's a burner, Couch has got potential he's derunnya size but faster, we got a couple other big receivers red shirting and a couple commited. Not saying it'll happen but we have options.

Coursesuper
11-20-2016, 06:57 PM
What do you think about Couch....

Big kid, seems to have some potential but is yet to show it. Maybe not ready for prime time just yet.

DogsofAnarchy
11-20-2016, 07:14 PM
What it ultimately comes down to is if we can COACH the players we have. There is NO way that South Ala, KY, BYU or Arkansas had better players than MSU. But they were all coached better than us.

What I think it ultimately comes down to on both sides of the ball is the JUCO's we bring in and getting them to contribute ASAP. We need that Guidry guy from Hinds really bad and we need Champion and we need To get Hayes and have them step in right away. It baffles me as to why we aren't looking for a JUCO center unless we're looking at a grad transfer from somewhere and I'm unaware of it.

I think Simmons and Spencer should be playing more than they are. We need Sweat, Pope, Autry and whomever else we get to have an impact immediately and we need Fletcher Adams to make a huge step. Leo is going to be really good. I like Green's effort most of the time. I might keep him at linebacker because I think the depth chart at linebacker will be slightly thinner there than on the line. Gray and Jung will be seniors but they need to take a step forward and we could use a JUCO linebacker whether we are a 4-3 or a 3-4 team next year. Graham has improved throughout the year, Durr has looked OK at times but needs to step up and then Peters will hopefully improve at corner as well. McLaurin has played well at times and I don't know what's going on with Bryant but I hope we get the 2015 version back next year. I know we're trying to get some JUCO DB's in for next year as well so hopefully they can help as well.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 07:17 PM
You have to stretch a defense from the edge where the safeties are not covering the middle by alignment.

We used to run post routes effectively with Bumphis and he and Gray are about the same size. I like it when we throw quick little hitches to Gray and he kind of shows that he has some moves which I think he could utilize in the slot on screens and things like that.

And I know what you are saying about the safeties and stretching the field and I don't disagree with that.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 07:20 PM
What it ultimately comes down to is if we can COACH the players we have. There is NO way that South Ala, KY, BYU or Arkansas had better players than MSU. But they were all coached better than us.

We play Fitz and Aeris like we are now and we win South Alabama at a minimum. That loss messed with our team's psyche for awhile and probably still does to a degree. Dan trying to force the seniors into lead roles like Williams and Holloway hurt us big time this year.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 07:25 PM
We play Fitz and Aeris like we are now and we win South Alabama at a minimum. That loss messed with our team's psyche for awhile and probably still does to a degree. Dan trying to force the seniors into lead roles like Williams and Holloway hurt us big time this year.

Absolutely agree.

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2016, 08:31 PM
This is such a stupid reply by people.

Scott Stricklin ****ed up and hired Rick Ray. He picked Ray over other guys- one of which is Joe Dooley- now the HC at FGC. Dooley has been to 3 straight postseasons and won 66 games in his 3 years there. Thats why the decision to fire Ray was taken away from Scott and Ben Howland was dumped in his lap to hire. We have seen articles about Cohen being in the room asking Mullen questions when he was hired- butwe never saw any of them when Ray was hired. Now you know why.

Throwing RR at people who suggest getting rid of Mullen may be the right thing to do is just not a smart reply. Our football program is not in disarry or called the "most dysfunctional program in America". Firing Stands had to be done. Hiring RR was a choice by Strick- but he was not our only option. Just like hiring Croom over Jimbo Fisher was an LT choice and mistake.

I don't blame you for being touchy on this subject. Your information on that hire has always been very poor. On THAT I have a VERY good source. Most people wouldn't even talk to us about the job. There were two basic reasons, one you have always harped on and I have never really argued with it. The other is it was thought around the coaching community that our expectations were entirely unrealistic. That is the kiss of death when hiring a coach.

Coursesuper
11-20-2016, 08:46 PM
I don't blame you for being touchy on this subject. Your information on that hire has always been very poor. On THAT I have a VERY good source. Most people wouldn't even talk to us about the job. There were two basic reasons, one you have always harped on and I have never really argued with it. The other is it was thought around the coaching community that our expectations were entirely unrealistic. That is the kiss of death when hiring a coach.

I don't doubt your source, I really think that the absolute wrong people were driving that "search". When things had to happen those folk had no sack, the Howland hire was over and done with before any of the people in the AD had a clue what was going on. Sadly we had a chance to change the status quo but that got blown up.

lamont
11-20-2016, 09:04 PM

100% bullshit

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 09:39 PM
Big kid, seems to have some potential but is yet to show it. Maybe not ready for prime time just yet.

Made a couple of nice catches last night. Like what I see from him blocking as well.

HSVDawg
11-20-2016, 10:15 PM

Sirmon (and the entire defensive staff, honestly) have to be fired regardless. This is the worst defense in MSU history and he is the DC. And its not the worst we've ever had because just because of the lack of talent at the CB position. Hard to sugar coat it. Either fire the defensive staff or fire the whole staff. Otherwise our season ticket sales will make the latter of those options a foregone conclusion in 2017.

Spiderman
11-20-2016, 10:36 PM

Hell yes. Sirmon wouldn't even be in Oxford if I had the call.

Any good HS defensive Cord. would have had us in a bowl.

msstate7
11-20-2016, 10:44 PM
Hell yes. Sirmon wouldn't even be in Oxford if I had the call.

Any good HS defensive Cord. would have had us in a bowl.

To be fair, the offense in USA and byu games let us down. This terrible year has been a complete team effort.

Spiderman
11-20-2016, 10:47 PM

It has nothing to do with alignment or or how many are on the line.

It is gap responsibility.

There is an A gap, B gap, C gap, and D gap. In a "4-3" defense, it is a 1 gap defense.... there is a player assigned to each gap, on both sides of the ball.

In a "3-4" the DL is responsible for 2 gaps. Nose for both A's, DT's , aligned in a 4i, ( inside shoulder of the OT's) are responsible for B gaps, in general. LB's read the gap DL takes and fills other. Safeties read LB gaps and run fit accordingly, while also having pass responsibility.

The "4-3" or 1 gap is simpler. There for easier to play, and why 99% of HS's and 95% of college's run 1 gap defenses.

Go look at the 1st TD. The LB didn't scrape over and fill the gap because he was too slow reading the gap. Not his fault, it's the dumbass scheme expecting our players to be able to read it.

Spiderman
11-20-2016, 10:48 PM
To be fair, the offense in USA and byu games let us down. This terrible year has been a complete team effort.

Giving up a 17-0 lead is the O's fault? And BYU was lost on ... gasp... a missed FG

msstate7
11-20-2016, 10:54 PM
Giving up a 17-0 lead is the O's fault? And BYU was lost on ... gasp... a missed FG

Scoring 20 points in a game in which we were favored by 28...

I said this year has been on both sides. Early on offense. Late on defense.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2016, 11:31 PM

There is an A gap, B gap, C gap, and D gap. In a "4-3" defense, it is a 1 gap defense.... there is a player assigned to each gap, on both sides of the ball.

In a "3-4" the DL is responsible for 2 gaps. Nose for both A's, DT's , aligned in a 4i, ( inside shoulder of the OT's) are responsible for B gaps, in general. LB's read the gap DL takes and fills other. Safeties read LB gaps and run fit accordingly, while also having pass responsibility.

The "4-3" or 1 gap is simpler. There for easier to play, and why 99% of HS's and 95% of college's run 1 gap defenses.

Go look at the 1st TD. The LB didn't scrape over and fill the gap because he was too slow reading the gap. Not his fault, it's the dumbass scheme expecting our players to be able to read it.

Exactly! Running 3-4 in college is equivalent to trying to run west coast in college. You gotta have exactly the right athletes and tons of time to rep it.

Spiderman
11-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Exactly! Running 3-4 in college is equivalent to trying to run west coast in college. You gotta have exactly the right athletes and tons of time to rep it.

Bingo... or have Alabama talent with a master like Saban to coach them.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 11:43 PM

I'll tell you the interesting thing looking at these DC resume's- DeRuyter and Woody at Appalachain State both say on their bios that they run 3-4's and DeRuyter did it at Air Force (OK, those guys are usually pretty smart and probably can handle the reading aspect of the 3-4) but Appalachain State seems to do very well with it with lesser talent and they held their own against Tennessee in Knoxville this year.

And I'm not saying we should run the 3-4 at all. I was surprised when I read those bios that those coaches were running that defense. But what it tells me is that we're lacking in the coaching department this year on the defensive side of the ball because those two coaches would get more out of us running a 3-4 than what we are now.

I do agree with most that we should be a base 4-3 but I would like to be multiple if our guys can handle it. If they can't I'm totally fine with just being a 4-3. I could see why that type of defense would be more effective with kids from Mississippi.

It makes me kind of wonder if Dan would just be better off going after someone like Gene Chizek that runs a 4-3 with a lot of zone but knows how to coach it well because that's ultimately what we end up doing anyway. And yes, I'm sorry for mentioning the name of that slimeball.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 11:45 PM

Is it predetermined which gap the d-linemen take on each play in a 3-4? Or does it depend on how the blocking goes from play to play?

Spiderman
11-20-2016, 11:47 PM
Is it predetermined which gap the d-linemen take on each play in a 3-4? Or does it depend on how the blocking goes from play to play?

No, it is more of a read and react defense.

The 4-3, or as it should really be called, the 1 gap, is predetermined. Which is why you can be more aggressive

Todd4State
11-21-2016, 12:24 AM
No, it is more of a read and react defense.

The 4-3, or as it should really be called, the 1 gap, is predetermined. Which is why you can be more aggressive

Gotcha.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2016, 01:07 AM
I'll tell you the interesting thing looking at these DC resume's- DeRuyter and Woody at Appalachain State both say on their bios that they run 3-4's and DeRuyter did it at Air Force (OK, those guys are usually pretty smart and probably can handle the reading aspect of the 3-4) but Appalachain State seems to do very well with it with lesser talent and they held their own against Tennessee in Knoxville this year.

And I'm not saying we should run the 3-4 at all. I was surprised when I read those bios that those coaches were running that defense. But what it tells me is that we're lacking in the coaching department this year on the defensive side of the ball because those two coaches would get more out of us running a 3-4 than what we are now.

I do agree with most that we should be a base 4-3 but I would like to be multiple if our guys can handle it. If they can't I'm totally fine with just being a 4-3. I could see why that type of defense would be more effective with kids from Mississippi.

It makes me kind of wonder if Dan would just be better off going after someone like Gene Chizek that runs a 4-3 with a lot of zone but knows how to coach it well because that's ultimately what we end up doing anyway. And yes, I'm sorry for mentioning the name of that slimeball.

I think those are more anomalies. Like you pointed Air Force has extremely intelligent players and app state obviously well coached. Its just to run the 3-4 you have to have a couple beasts to play the nose and beasts at the ILB positions and the jack lb. We would defintely be better suited for a 4-3 or 4-2-5. Imo

Coursesuper
11-21-2016, 01:24 AM
From what I've seen it looks like we've tried to input some of this 3-8 concept stuff. The spread defense stuff your seeing out west.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2016, 01:31 AM
From what I've seen it looks like we've tried to input some of this 3-8 concept stuff. The spread defense stuff your seeing out west.

Doesn't work to well out there either lol