PDA

View Full Version : Punting on 4th and inches early in the second half

drunkernhelldawg
11-20-2016, 07:31 AM
In hindsight, it was a horrible decision, of course. But I know I'm not the only one who thought so at the time as we had seen zero evidence that we could come close to stopping their offense.

To me, that might have been the decision that took us out of it.

MetEdDawg
11-20-2016, 08:28 AM
In hindsight, it was a horrible decision, of course. But I know I'm not the only one who thought so at the time as we had seen zero evidence that we could come close to stopping their offense.

Yeah I was the same. Was it the right football move? Yes. Was it the right move for us at that time? No.

You could feel it that we weren't going to stop them. I was in the stands saying we needed to go for it. I mean what did we have to lose? Regardless of hindsight I think the situation dictated you go for it. And the way they stacked the box on short yardage situations we very easily could have done an outside jet sweep to a WR like Dear and picked it up.

confucius say
11-20-2016, 08:35 AM
It was first half

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
11-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Yep that play right there cost us the damn game not the 11 17ing puntless drives by Arkiesaw!! But yes I would've went for it for sure..Then to make matters worse danny boy wasted a 17ing time out instead of just taking the damn 5 yrd. penalty.. What a genius he is..

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 09:25 AM
It was first half

Correct. We were our own 26 yard line and the score was 21-14 at the time.

TNDawg35
11-20-2016, 09:35 AM
I told my wife when we punted that I didnt understand it cause they would score in 3 plays any damn way... Well, it took 2..

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2016, 10:15 AM

At that time of the game at that postion on the field, you punt. That was the correct decision.

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 10:16 AM
I told my wife when we punted that I didnt understand it cause they would score in 3 plays any damn way... Well, it took 2..

We held them to a FG after that punt. It wasn't a 2 play TD. The score was 24-14 after the FG

SheltonChoked
11-20-2016, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure the fact that only gave us back the ball on kickoff is what lost the game. Not an offensive decision. If we make that 4th down and the te catches the long pass at the end of the 1st half, we are tied. And we are either still playing, or ark wins in overtime.

klong-dog
11-20-2016, 10:49 AM
Not to mention we only punt the 17er about 25 yards. They score two plays later.

RezDog7
11-20-2016, 10:58 AM
I can't believe you people are complaining about us not going for it on our own 26. If we would have made it and scored we still lose by 9. Geez, c'mon man. We couldn't have stopped Starkville Highschool last night.

tcdog70
11-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Not only should we have tried to make first down but we should have onside kicked it every time. It was ****ing 2 inches, grow some balls and make the first down. When you cannot stop the other offense what difference does it make if they have the ball at the twenty or the fifty. Two ****ing inches, get the first down.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Punting was pointless in that situation. Arkansas didn't punt once the entire game. Only way to have won this game was to be neck and neck all the way. Once Arkansas got a decent lead. Was no way to play catch up. Mirror image of say Texas tech. They stop no one and have to score every possession to have a shot. That's not acceptable. And one extra thing, you think graves could have made that kick just a little more believable?

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Not to mention we only punt the 17er about 25 yards. They score two plays later.

Again, that is not correct at all. They did not score a TD after that decision.

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Punting was pointless in that situation. Arkansas didn't punt once the entire game. Only way to have won this game was to be neck and neck all the way. Once Arkansas got a decent lead. Was no way to play catch up. Mirror image of say Texas tech. They stop no one and have to score every possession to have a shot. That's not acceptable. And one extra thing, you think graves could have made that kick just a little more believable?

It was a one score game at the time on our own 26.

NCDawg
11-20-2016, 11:29 AM
We don't seem to be able to punt the ball over 30-35 yards, anyway. When you have a defense as weak as ours, you should take every opportunity to go for the first down.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 11:39 AM
I can't fault a coach for punting there. However had we gone for it and not gotten it I would have understood why too.

Really Clark?
11-20-2016, 11:46 AM
I can't fault a coach for punting there. However had we gone for it and not gotten it I would have understood why too.

I agree. I was fine with either call. Just don't understand of all things to complain about that should be way way down someone's list. Offense was not the issue last night and never quit.