PDA

View Full Version : Tough Year, But Their Are Some Silver Linings

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2016, 01:05 AM
I can only take so much negativity before I realize its gone too far and things aren't as bad (except the defense) as they seem.

This season has sucked but it wasn't a waste. Here are some thoughts:

1. Defense is terrible, awful, abortion, etc. I'd fire Sirmon next Monday and go shell out huge money for a guy that has defensive coordinator experience. Coach O is a no-go unless he wants to be a d line coach. Mullen wasted his no D.C. Experience hire on Sirmon. Have to go with a proven guy, even if it's just a mid major guy. Our team can't lineup correctly and that's coaching. We don't need an elite defense to win 8 or 9 games because our offense can score. I've been on the keep Sirmon bandwagon, but I don't think you can justify it. I want continuity, but this is the worst defense in MSU history and the program must stand for higher standards than that. Bad hire that everyone needs to move on for. I'd give my left ball sack for Geoff Collins right now.

2. We've replaced Dak this year and that was a priority. Fits is 112% of Dak's physical ability, 40% of his smarts, and 40% of his leadership. Either way, he's unbelievably talented and we can win big with him. Just need an average defense.

3. Westin Graves has been playing with a bulging disc all year and has had multiple procedures done throughout the season. Word around campus is that he can't sit down in classes due to pain. Why does he hook everything? Because it hurts to damn much to follow through.

4. Getting rid of Mullen is stupid. You don't immediately fire a coach with this capacity to develop QBs and move the football. As bad as tonight was, I think it's a fairly quick fix to get back to winning 8 to 9 games. We've got elite QB play for at least two more years, good RBs, and capable receivers. If we get an average D.C. That can get us lined up correctly, make schematic adjustments, and teach tackling, we are immediately a 8-9 win team. I can't tell you how excited I am about Fitz. He's a player.

5. Not going to a bowl may be good because it will force Mullen to examine the foundations of the program. He can no longer rest on saying we are going to bowls & winning 8+ games. The foundation of the program must be examined and questioned. Mullen must look in the mirror and admit shortcomings and where things must be improved. I don't think he's quit on MSU, I just think he lost tons a DCs and made an awful hire.

6. Strength and conditioning. I've talked about this at times this year, but our body types don't look right. On paper, we recruit better that Arkansas, but like many other games we've played this year, our guys have lean legs with large upper bodies while Arkansas, Bama, etc have tons more muscle and athleticism in their lower halves. Not sure what the issue is, but our body types don't look right when compared to our competition. Could also be poor evaluation in regard. Needs to be looked at.

In conclusion, tonight was awful and the defense is the possibly the worst in MSU history. It's unbecoming to the history of our school, but, if Vandy can stop OM like they did tonight with similar or less talent that what we have, then I believe and decent D.C., should help us greatly. We aren't as far away as it may seems. We can score.

Lastly but not least, SEC officiating is embarrassing this year. I can handle occasional missed holding calls, but I can't handle missed instant replays. The onside kick should have stood tonight and the we also recovered a fumble that wasn't reviewed. I honestly can't figure out the system and why it can't be executed at a high level. I've also watched Bama and Arkansas hold on most every play for the past two weeks without seeing any flags thrown. It's ridiculous for such a high level of football.

Quaoarsking
11-20-2016, 01:09 AM
If that's true about Graves, why is he even out there? Surely the guy who did the onside kick or even the extra punter couldn't be any worse.

BayouDawg
You can hang up getting a proven D coordinator as long as Danny boy is here. He's gotten the reputation of being difficult to work for (right or wrong) unless you are part of his inner circle (Hevesy and Co.)

GTHOM
I can only take so much negativity before I realize its gone too far and things aren't as bad (except the defense) as they seem.

1. Defense is terrible, awful, abortion, etc. I'd fire Sirmon next Monday and go shell out huge money for a guy that has defensive coordinator experience. Coach O is a no-go unless he wants to be a d line coach. Mullen wasted his no D.C. Experience hire on Sirmon. Have to go with a proven guy, even if it's just a mid major guy. Our team can't lineup correctly and that's coaching. We don't need an elite defense to win 8 or 9 games because our offense can score.

2. We've replaced Dak this year and that was a priority. Fits is 112% of Dak's physical ability, 40% of his smarts, and 40% of his leadership. Either way, he's unbelievably talented and we can win big with him. Just need an average defense.

3. Westin Graves has been playing with a bulging disc all year and has had multiple procedures done throughout the season. Word around campus is that he can't sit down in classes due to pain. Why does he hook everything? Because it hurts to damn much to follow through.

4. Getting rid of Mullen is stupid. You don't immediately fire a coach with this capacity to develop QBs and move the football. As bad as tonight was, I think it's a fairly quick fix to get back to winning 8 to 9 games. We've got elite QB play for at least two more years, good RBs, and capable receivers. If we get an average D.C. That can get us lined up correctly, make schematic adjustments, and teach tackling, we are immediately a 8-9 win team. I can't tell you how excited I am about Fitz. He's a player.

5. Not going to a bowl may be good because it will force Mullen to examine the foundations of the program. He can no longer rest on saying we are going to bowls & winning 8+ games. The foundation of the program must be examined and questioned. Mullen must look in the mirror and admit shortcomings and where things must be improved. I don't think he's quit on MSU, I just think he lost tons a DCs and made an awful hire.

6. Strength and conditioning. I've talked about this at times this year, but our body types don't look right. On paper, we recruit better that Arkansas, but like many other games we've played this year, our guys have lean legs with large upper bodies while Arkansas, Bama, etc have tons more muscle and athleticism in their lower halves. Not sure what the issue is, but our body types don't look right when compared to our completion. Needs to be looked at.

In conclusion, tonight was awful and the defense is the possibly the worst in MSU history. It's unbecoming to the history of our school, but, if Vandy can stop OM like they did tonight with similar or less talent that what we have, then I believe and decent D.C., should help us greatly. We aren't as far away as it may seems. We can score.

Lastly but not least, SEC officiating is embarrassing this year. I can handle occasional missed holding calls, but I can't handle missed instant replays. The onside kick should have stood tonight and the we also recovered a fumble that wasn't reviewed. I honestly can't figure the system and why it can't be executed at a high level. I've also watched Bama and Arkansas hold on most every play for the past two weeks without seeing any flags thrown. It's ridiculous for such a high level of football.

Vandys defense is damn good and has been all year. We arent holding them to 10. We have to go over there and outscore them, run it keep shea and their WRs on the sideline. If we do I like our chances, if we allow them to run it we are done

msstate7
11-20-2016, 01:10 AM
Good post.

Hopefully those defensive juco recruits that visited tonight saw an opportunity rather than an abomination. If I'm Mullen, I'm telling them they can play day #1.

BayouDawg
11-20-2016, 01:12 AM
On the S&C topic. I was a junior at state when Balis left. There was a rumor going around campus that he had to resign due to giving the players PEDs. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 01:16 AM
On the S&C topic. I was a junior at state when Balis left. There was a rumor going around campus that he had to resign due to giving the players PEDs. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

No

BayouDawg
11-20-2016, 01:17 AM
No

Good to hear that. It really sucked losing him. My dad has always said that is the most important hire a head coach makes.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2016, 01:17 AM
Vandys defense is damn good and has been all year. We arent holding them to 10. We have to go over there and outscore them, run it keep shea and their WRs on the sideline. If we do I like our chances, if we allow them to run it we are done

I didn't say we'd hold them to 10 points. We are giving up 50 next Sat. My point was just to show what an elite DC can do with average talent.

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 01:21 AM
I didn't say we'd hold them to 10 points. We are giving up 50 next Sat. My point was just to show what an elite DC can do with average talent.

As bad as it is, I dont think they score 50. It could happen haha but dude thats 150 points in 3 games. Thats gotta be a record if it happens. Thats belhaven level defense

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2016, 01:28 AM
As bad as it is, I dont think they score 50. It could happen haha but dude thats 150 points in 3 games. Thats gotta be a record if it happens. Thats belhaven level defense

Get ready for it.

We don't line up correctly. Our defensive players don't know what they are doing and choose to not try to tackle.

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2016, 02:53 AM

1. Defense is terrible, awful, abortion, etc. I'd fire Sirmon next Monday and go shell out huge money for a guy that has defensive coordinator experience. Coach O is a no-go unless he wants to be a d line coach. Mullen wasted his no D.C. Experience hire on Sirmon. Have to go with a proven guy, even if it's just a mid major guy. Our team can't lineup correctly and that's coaching. We don't need an elite defense to win 8 or 9 games because our offense can score. I've been on the keep Sirmon bandwagon, but I don't think you can justify it. I want continuity, but this is the worst defense in MSU history and the program must stand for higher standards than that. Bad hire that everyone needs to move on for. I'd give my left ball sack for Geoff Collins right now.

6. Strength and conditioning. I've talked about this at times this year, but our body types don't look right. On paper, we recruit better that Arkansas, but like many other games we've played this year, our guys have lean legs with large upper bodies while Arkansas, Bama, etc have tons more muscle and athleticism in their lower halves. Not sure what the issue is, but our body types don't look right when compared to our competition. Could also be poor evaluation in regard. Needs to be looked at.

Lastly but not least, SEC officiating is embarrassing this year. I can handle occasional missed holding calls, but I can't handle missed instant replays. The onside kick should have stood tonight and the we also recovered a fumble that wasn't reviewed. I honestly can't figure out the system and why it can't be executed at a high level. I've also watched Bama and Arkansas hold on most every play for the past two weeks without seeing any flags thrown. It's ridiculous for such a high level of football.

We usually don't see eye to eye, and that's putting it mildly. That being said I agree with nearly all of that. I do not agree with #1. Unless we are willing to seriously pony up the money to go out and GET an absolute grand slam home run DC hire, I think we would be better served to hang on to a DC for the first time in 4 years. What we saw tonight is the logical and as I see it, invetible, result of four years of revolving door DCs.

As for #2, I wouldn't go quite that far yet. There is NO doubting his physical ability. His leadership skills have not been good, to put it mildly. I DO, however, see signs that might be changing. . The thing he is yet to convince me of yet is his "football" head. He throws WAY too many balls he shouldn't. He also blows too many reads in the read option.

If what you say is true about Graves, I take back everything I have ever said bad about the guy. I just bought a bicycle to try to correct some REALLY bad lab numbers health wise. My butt is absolutely kicking my butt right now. It's bad enough I just ordered some padded dang underwear. That kind of stuff couldn't help but throw a kicker off.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-20-2016, 04:06 AM
I tell you from my perspective is that Mullen is the main reason the defense is where it is. He quoted tonight that he is involved in all plans with the defense. Would perfectly explain why the D.C. position has been a revolving door. He won't let the other coaches do their jobs at all like they want to. That will never be fixed while Mullen is head coach. Yes fitz has looked great but everything else from defense to special teams is just plain terrible

drunkernhelldawg
11-20-2016, 07:27 AM
You've hit all the nails squarely, as usual. The horrible thing about the defense is the total lack of discipline and focus. Arkansas making plays every third down made it look even worse.