PDA

View Full Version : Is it all Sirmon's fault that the defense has been mostly terrible this year

Irondawg
11-19-2016, 11:58 PM
I'm trying to figure it out. Our secondary minus Redmond was garbage for the past few years and we overhauled every coach there and we still stink.

Recent fan favorite Richie Brown who we all thought we have a huge year has been awful most of the year outside the A&M game. The move to the 3-4 has adversly affectd him more than anybody else. He just can't shed a block and it's gotten to the point it looks like he doesn't even try half the time.

So against the run you've got safeties that aren't hard hitters and take bad angles, a ILB that can't get off a block, mdiocre DE's against the run and a redshirt freshman LB who has also been up and down. At some point it doesn't matter who is the coach and i think it's why you see us recruiting a crapload of JUCO at DE, LB and Safety.

BUT the one thing that is very apparent when watching the game is we don't fly to the ball and our front 7 are not physical and attacking. Some of that has to fall on the coaches b/c i refuse to believe the majority of our defensive players hate contact.

I'm honestly at a loss because the first half of the year we looked to at least be decent on defense, especially against the run. Hoped the secondary would get better over time but tonight was just pitiful.

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Hell no. Sirmon is just going to be the next head to fall for Mullen. Mullen micromanages every thing and hes been more involved on D this year than ever. Take it for what its worth to you

CadaverDawg
11-20-2016, 12:04 AM
Yes it is, bc he's in charge of the D. If our secondary was the only group sucking, it might be different...but Sirmon specializes in LB's and we handed him Chicken salad at that position, and somehow he turned it into Chicken shit. He was a bad hire, and I don't see how anyone can blame anyone else.

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 12:06 AM
Yes it is, bc he's in charge of the D. If our secondary was the only group sucking, it might be different...but Sirmon specializes in LB's and we handed him Chicken salad at that position, and somehow he turned it into Chicken shit. He was a bad hire, and I don't see how anyone can blame anyone else.

Yeah and the next DC Mullen gets will be blamed for it, he will throw them under the bus just like he did Geoff. Hence why no one wants to coach defense for him. The only good coach we have on D is TBuck. The rest are retreads that nobody else wanted. Hence we had to hire Sirmon to begin with. Mullen has no one to blame but himself

Coursesuper
11-20-2016, 12:10 AM
Yeah and the next DC Mullen gets will be blamed for it, he will throw them under the bus just like he did Geoff. Hence why no one wants to coach defense for him. The only good coach we have on D is TBuck. The rest are retreads that nobody else wanted. Hence we had to hire Sirmon to begin with. Mullen has no one to blame but himself

This is the truth, Mullen has brought this on himself.

MarketingBully
11-20-2016, 12:12 AM
Mullen needs to find a job somewhere else. Please someone else hire him.

MarketingBully
11-20-2016, 12:12 AM
Mullen screws with the defense. I don't know how people can't see that.

CadaverDawg
11-20-2016, 12:17 AM

Careful what y'all wish for. Don't let a down year, a bad DC hire, and a group of message board posters who have an agenda make you forget what it was like when we had no QB's at MSU, and no offense, etc.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match...I'm just saying y'all just better make sure you're thinking things through. Carry on.

yjnkdawg
11-20-2016, 12:17 AM
Mullen, the assistant coaches, the players (especially the defensive players), need to watch the Vandy/OM game. Vandy didn't let the OM receivers run wide open like we do. They also hit hard and tackled and got in Patterson's head and frustrated him. Vandy's offense opened up. Mason game planned to win and not to play to keep from losing. Our offense played like they wanted to beat ARK, but the defense was questionable, other than a few players it appeared.

yjnkdawg
11-20-2016, 12:21 AM
Careful what y'all wish for. Don't let a down year, a bad DC hire, and a group of message board posters who have an agenda make you forget what it was like when we had no QB's at MSU, and no offense, etc.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match...I'm just saying y'all just better make sure you're thinking things through. Carry on.

I agree. Those who weren't there back then just don't really know how much MSU football has advanced.

yjnkdawg
11-20-2016, 12:23 AM
Mullen screws with the defense. I don't know how people can't see that.

I agree. See TAMU game when he let Sirmon actually coach.

msstate7
11-20-2016, 12:25 AM

aTm may be the worst team in the sec right now.

msstate7
11-20-2016, 12:27 AM

I want Peterson as TE coach next season, new oline coach, and a new 4-3 DC next season and Mullen as our HC.

CadaverDawg
11-20-2016, 12:30 AM
I want Peterson as TE coach next season, new oline coach, and a new 4-3 DC next season and Mullen as our HC.

I agree. In order of urgency...

1. New DC
2. New DC
3. New DC

4. New OL coach

5. Peterson to TE coach

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 12:32 AM

Brad is going to TE or an on field job. I'd be surprised if the other two happen. The last one is sadly completely up to Mullen

msstate7
11-20-2016, 12:33 AM
I agree. In order of urgency...

1. New DC
2. New DC
3. New DC

4. New OL coach

5. Peterson to TE coach

I'd move Peterson to #4. I think hevesy has done a pretty solid job this year; but we can't seem to get top recruits to play for him, so solid is best case scenario

Noxdog
11-20-2016, 12:38 AM

U know i'm usually on Mullen's side, but he has me wavering. I see a real lack of effort. It's very disconcerting.

CadaverDawg
11-20-2016, 12:49 AM
U know i'm usually on Mullen's side, but he has me wavering. I see a real lack of effort. It's very disconcerting.

Oh I agree, I'm concerned as well...I just hate when people cherry pick things to further an agenda. In other words, if we had a top 5 SEC defense one year, and the worst SEC defense another, you can't just choose to say "Dan's always been too involved in the D, and it's killing us. He has to go". To me, that's not thinking clearly. Now, I DO agree that he has hurt us with his lack of keeping a DC for whatever the reasons, his friendship with Hev, his job chasing, and his lack of preparation in some huge games. He can't do this again next year, and changes need to be made at DC at least, and OL coach hopefully, to ease my concern some

BayouDawg
11-20-2016, 12:53 AM

I get what you're saying, but at the same time if Dan does want out I think it's best for all parties if he is hired away.

Noxdog
11-20-2016, 12:58 AM
Oh I agree, I'm concerned as well...I just hate when people cherry pick things to further an agenda. In other words, if we had a top 5 SEC defense one year, and the worst SEC defense another, you can't just choose to say "Dan's always been too involved in the D, and it's killing us. He has to go". To me, that's not thinking clearly. Now, I DO agree that he has hurt us with his lack of keeping a DC for whatever the reasons, his friendship with Hev, his job chasing, and his lack of preparation in some huge games. He can't do this again next year, and changes need to be made at DC at least, and OL coach hopefully, to ease my concern some

Yea, I agree. I'm with you on not throwing the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. Just don't see a lot of effort this year other than Fitz and some on the O.

Oh well, beat the bastards up north!

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2016, 01:21 AM

Silly we scored 42 tonight. Don't let one bad season and an awful defense make you forget that this year's offense is one of the best in school history.

Have you seen LSU and Florida play this year? Our offensive system and QB development is elite compared to theirs.

You don't fire coaches that do that unless they show a sustained inability to win football games. One year is not a trend.

PassInterference
11-20-2016, 01:36 AM

I'm with ya. When I look around and see the struggle Texas, Florida, Michigan, and Notre Dame have had finding the right HC, I've gotta second think wanting Mullen gone.

Instead, I wish Mullen would make a few staff changes and try a new approach with the defense. Go hire a up and comer DC with the sales pitch that you're gonna let him run it.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2016, 01:40 AM
I'm convinced Mullen has no idea what he's looking at on defense. The last good defense Mullen has had was 2010 and it's been downhill since then. I'm not sure he values it

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 01:46 AM
Silly we scored 42 tonight. Don't let one bad season and an awful defense make you forget that this year's offense is one of the best in school history.

Have you seen LSU and Florida play this year? Our offensive system and QB development is elite compared to theirs.

You don't fire coaches that do that unless they show a sustained inability to win football games. One year is not a trend.

Slow down jack. There is nothing elite about this offense. The better defenses we have seen have beaten us soundly, Bama and Auburn made us look like JV players and LSU shut us down as well. However you can see it starting to come together and Fitz is going to be one of the best we have ever had

BayouDawg
11-20-2016, 01:55 AM
I'm convinced Mullen has no idea what he's looking at on defense. The last good defense Mullen has had was 2010 and it's been downhill since then. I'm not sure he values it

What baffles me is how horrendous our defensive backs have gotten over the last few years. Mississippi high schools have always been know to produce servicable defensive backs. You almost have to try to suck this bad. We've been regressing steadily since 2013. I just don't get it.

NCDawg
11-20-2016, 01:56 AM
Auburn beat Arkansas 56-3. I just don't think we have the talent on defense. We look slow and our DB's are a disaster. I do think Simmons and Spencer show promise. Lewis has played pretty good in the past, but I didn't see him doing much tonight.

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 01:58 AM
What baffles me is how horrendous our defensive backs have gotten over the last few years. Mississippi high schools have always been know to produce servicable defensive backs. You almost have to try to suck this bad. We've been regressing steadily since 2013. I just don't get it.

Its a scheme problem. We allow free releases and play man from with too much depth. Its impossible unless your Deion Sanders

GTHOM
11-20-2016, 02:01 AM
Auburn beat Arkansas 56-3. I just don't think we have the talent on defense. We look slow and our DB's are a disaster. I do think Simmons and Spencer show promise. Lewis has played pretty good in the past, but I didn't see him doing much tonight.

Their first TD of the game LL didnt fit right. He fit up with his outside shoulder instead of inside and the guy housed it. He has to get over the top of that OL and turn it back into Richie. Our secondary didnt help him by making a tackle either. Neither did our DL by getting manhandled and letting an OL get right up on LL to begin with. It was all around shitshow. Its no single players fault

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 02:46 AM
I get what you're saying, but at the same time if Dan does want out I think it's best for all parties if he is hired away.

Exactly. Like I said with Cohen- if he doesn't want to be our baseball coach then move on to AD or whatever. Same applies to Dan. The problem is I doubt he will find a job that pays what ours does but I bet if he takes a paycut everyone involved will be happy.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 02:47 AM
Its a scheme problem. We allow free releases and play man from with too much depth. Its impossible unless your Deion Sanders

Nailed it.

Todd4State
11-20-2016, 02:50 AM

He values it but he can't keep his hands off of it. We need someone like Charlie Strong or Tom Allen and then Dan needs to stay the hell away from them.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-20-2016, 04:37 AM

Been a fan 30 yrs. I remember bad offenses for sure but this is the worst defense I've seen. People say it was a bad hire for D.C. . Well Mullen hired him so in no way do I fully blame sirmon. We can't keep a D.C. No time because of how Mullen is and has handled it every yr. He said just tonight that he is involved in all plans with the defense. There is the glaring problem right there. Fitz looks great but everything else is as bad as it's been under Mullen

Dawgfan77
11-20-2016, 08:51 AM
aTm may be the worst team in the sec right now.

Yeah I think that team is us

msstate7
11-20-2016, 08:55 AM
Yeah I think that team is us

You must have missed us beating them. In fact, we pretty much dominated them

Dawgfan77
11-20-2016, 09:03 AM
You must have missed us beating them. In fact, we pretty much dominated them
You must have missed us giving up over 50 the last two weeks and the Samford game. Did you see us lose to south Alabama or U.K.? Its between us and Miss for the worst team in the sec. hell boom got the cocks to a bowl

Hypnodawg
11-20-2016, 09:08 AM
I've been watching msu football since 95. This is by far the worst defense I have seen is field. As a guy that likes watching defense, this had become unbearable. I've no idea how he can look himself in the mirror with that shitshow.

Percho
11-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Been a fan 30 yrs. I remember bad offenses for sure but this is the worst defense I've seen. People say it was a bad hire for D.C. . Well Mullen hired him so in no way do I fully blame sirmon. We can't keep a D.C. No time because of how Mullen is and has handled it every yr. He said just tonight that he is involved in all plans with the defense. There is the glaring problem right there. Fitz looks great but everything else is as bad as it's been under Mullen

A Williams looks very good.

Bucky Dog
11-20-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm no coach and I certainly can't talk about schemes or play calling on Sirmon's part, and if Dan is holding him back on the aggressiveness with blitzes and press coverage, then that needs to change!

What I do know and see, is we have a strength and conditioning issue, and it is most notable on defense. We are slow to the ball, not strong enough to get penetration or shed blocks effectively, and we look like we have guys standing around waiting for something to happen, instead of making something happen. I've never seen a secondary have their backs to the ball as it goes by their head so often as I have this year either.

To be fair, the kids have their third DC in 3 years and maybe the scheme is difficult and they have had trouble catching on. And maybe Sirmon doesn't have enough of his type players on the field for his scheme. But either way, you either recruit the kids for the scheme you want to run, or coach to the players you have. It would not be a good move to fire Sirmon after one year. Mullen won't do that, as he will show trust in him to turn it around next year.

It takes ZERO talent to do the following: work ethic, effort, body language, energy, attitude, passion, putting in extra work, being coach able and being fully prepared. I'm not sure I see our team meeting all of these requirements, and since we are a team of 3 stars, with some higher mixed in, our players better make damn sure they are doing all of this better than anyone else!

Ari Gold
11-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Dan won't get out of Dan's way with the defense. Prob won't matter who he hires as long as he is here..
Sirmon wasn't ready and the team hasn't bought in to his scheme .
We have some guys on defense.. Actually have higher rated players on D than we don on O. But we need more impact players on the D
We have to Change the culture and clean house with a lot of coaches and players..
And outside of coaches lets part ways with the S&C coach while we are at it.

Bothrops
11-20-2016, 09:36 AM
We may have all new coaches next year, except for two.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2016, 09:37 AM
I'm trying to figure it out. Our secondary minus Redmond was garbage for the past few years and we overhauled every coach there and we still stink.

Recent fan favorite Richie Brown who we all thought we have a huge year has been awful most of the year outside the A&M game. The move to the 3-4 has adversly affectd him more than anybody else. He just can't shed a block and it's gotten to the point it looks like he doesn't even try half the time.

So against the run you've got safeties that aren't hard hitters and take bad angles, a ILB that can't get off a block, mdiocre DE's against the run and a redshirt freshman LB who has also been up and down. At some point it doesn't matter who is the coach and i think it's why you see us recruiting a crapload of JUCO at DE, LB and Safety.

BUT the one thing that is very apparent when watching the game is we don't fly to the ball and our front 7 are not physical and attacking. Some of that has to fall on the coaches b/c i refuse to believe the majority of our defensive players hate contact.

I'm honestly at a loss because the first half of the year we looked to at least be decent on defense, especially against the run. Hoped the secondary would get better over time but tonight was just pitiful.

You nailed it.

When we play teams with big physical OLs, we get dominated along the DL and LB. We are just to small and slow on the front 7.

Our secondary is....a bunch of finesse players with average speed. To put it nicely. But we are still blowing coverages all over the field. We had 3 players in one spot on one of Arks TD passes.

It is a talent problem by and larger. However the 3-4 doesn't help either and players blowing assifn.

However I dont believe Vandy has any more defensive talent that us. We will see how we do next weekend. The defensive performance should be better. We will get some pressure on Patterson but we will have a hard time containing Patterson because we are so slow. He is smaller younger player. So maybe the secondary won't mind hitting him.

My .02

Cooterpoot
11-20-2016, 09:42 AM
60% coaching, 40% talent
We have the talent to win 6+ games. We don't have the talent to beat the top SEC teams.
Or scheme is complete garbage. Our strength/speed program is too.

Bothrops
11-20-2016, 09:45 AM
You nailed it.

When we play teams with big physical OLs, we get dominated along the DL and LB. We are just to small and slow on the front 7.

Our secondary is....a bunch of finesse players with average speed. To put it nicely.

It is a talent problem. However I dont believe Vandy has any more defensive talent that us. We will see how we do next weekend. The defensive performance should be better. We will get some pressure on Patterson but we will have a hard time containing Patterson because we are so slow. He is smaller younger player. So maybe the secondary won't mind hitting him.

My .02

This is not a talent problem, that is, unless we have less talent than the rest of D1 football, because this defense is the worst to the naked eye. Our coaches have ****ed this defense up! How else can you explain HS players coming into this program, only to get worse, immediately.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2016, 09:51 AM
This is not a talent problem, that is, unless we have less talent than the rest of D1 football, because this defense is the worst to the naked eye. Our coaches have ****ed this defense up! How else can you explain HS players coming into this program, only to get worse, immediately.

When we play the cream of the SEC, yes it is a talent problem. However we have enough talent to beat USA, BYU and UK... coaching problem there.

Last night, Bama and Auburn was a combo of their OL being vastly superior and our scheme creating a terrible situation for us.

Cooterpoot
11-20-2016, 09:59 AM
With a decent defense we win the 4 we won plus BYU, UK, AR, & UM. That's 8 wins with high expectations next year.

msstate7
11-20-2016, 10:00 AM
With a decent defense we win the 4 we won plus BYU, UK, AR, & UM. That's 8 wins with high expectations next year.

Byu wasn't on the defense. 14 points in regulation

Bothrops
11-20-2016, 10:01 AM
When we play the cream of the SEC, yes it is a talent problem. However we have enough talent to beat USA, BYU and UK... coaching problem there.

Last night, Bama and Auburn was a combo of their OL being vastly superior and our scheme creating a terrible situation for us.

And Arkansas

Bothrops
11-20-2016, 10:05 AM

This is close. With competent coaching on that side, we'd won last night.

Hrdawg82
11-20-2016, 10:43 AM

Are you certain that Mullen micromanaged the defense. I'm sure he has had some input but I don't think he is the point man game planning and coaching these kids.

NCDawg
11-20-2016, 11:14 AM
I've been watching msu football since 95. This is by far the worst defense I have seen is field. As a guy that likes watching defense, this had become unbearable. I've no idea how he can look himself in the mirror with that shitshow.

I agree. I used to think Ron Cooper was the worst DC I had ever seen. Now, I think he has been surpassed by the current DC.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-20-2016, 11:33 AM
This is close. With competent coaching on that side, we'd won last night.

If we couldn't score points we don't beat umass or Samford either . We could have 8 wins is something I can't just roll with. There is no moral victory simply because the defense was way worse than just decent. It's the worst to wear the maroon and white. I can't name one game where any adjustments were made that changed anything. The holes Arkansas backs were running through were a mile wide. Arkansas isn't a finesse team either.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-20-2016, 11:45 AM
A Williams looks very good.

I agree

Dawgsfanalongtime77
11-20-2016, 12:45 PM

It's the worst defense miss state has put on the field. Period. Yeah we scored 42. Doesn't matter when you give up 58 tho. It's more than just a one yr trend on the defensive side of the ball. Mullen hired a guy with zero experience and it was a flat lazy hire. So what now? 8 D.C. in 9 yrs. That's a bad trend there. I mean who has ever had that many changes at one coaching position?