PDA

View Full Version : On the positive side

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I am not trying to be a sunshine pumper, but simply trying to move the pendulum back to the middle when it has swung to far the other direction. There some positives Saturday and I think we should recognize those as well, as some here already have.

1. As much as people want to bitch about recruiting, talent wasn't our problem Saturday. In fact, I will say that there will be more players in the NFL from that game that wore maroon than wore orange. Yes, I truly believe that we were the more talented team, and maybe that what makes that game so frustrating. I think people expected us to get blown out, but once the game started, everyone, including myself said, "Oh, shit, we are bigger and faster than them."

2. Our defense was light years better than last year. OK State had to go to a new formation that we had no idea how to stop in order to score points. I know things can change, but this should bode well as the season progresses, and hopefully Quay getting his shit together will only make us better.

3. Special teams were solid. Yes Bell missed a field goal, but that going happen sometimes. Everything else was good.

4. Last but not least, WE HAVE TALENT ON OFFENSE. Guys, our problems are fixable because we have players. And as bad as it sucks to lose the first game of year when we could've won, if we are going to have an offensive schematic problem, I would rather have it in the first week when we have a chance to fix it.

I truly believe that Dan is a smart man, and will figure this out. And when he does, I believe we have the talent to beat some good teams this season.

I'm not trying to be a sunshine pumper, just trying to move the pendulum back to the middle when it has swung to far the other direction.

I seen it dawg
09-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Good move. The defense being better and the talent level were very evident. Alot to look forward to.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Good post. I agree.

bluelightstar
09-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I understand there's reason for optimism - but it seems like we've been predicting that Mullen's a smart man who will figure out this offense for several games now...

Political Hack
09-02-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm a little worried about Bell. I think his foot hit the turf before he contacted the ball on his first FG. We're lucky that didn't cause him to miss. Either way, it's a "miss swing" when he does that. He got everything straightened out last year, so I'm sure he will this year too.

Punt team = Gold
Tubby on KR = Gold
Our two kickoffs were covered well.
We were able to get pressure on their punter twice I think.

Special teams does look pretty solid. Outside of FG team and punt return team, there's not much more you can ask for.

Defense looks 1,000 times better.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
I understand there's reason for optimism - but it seems like we've been predicting that Mullen's a smart man who will figure out this offense for several games now...

No doubt this is a discouraging trend, and I'm not sure how to answer except, "We gotta a running QB starting on Saturday, and that should change things in itself"

I can't help but wonder if Dan feels a massive sense of relief that Tyler is out. Not that Dan is glad that Tyler is hurt, but, there has to be relief when a tough decision is made by default.

slickdawg
09-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Lets put this in perspective - in their first four possessions, Ok St had four three and outs. This not knowing for certain what was all coming.

In the A&M game last year, we knew exactly what was coming, and gave up 21 points in their first four possessions.

The defense made a profound improvement over last year. This year looks like a 99 JLD defense, where last year looked like a 2003 Ron Cooper defense.

Harrydawg
09-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Non