PDA

View Full Version : Pitt-fsu

msstate7
09-02-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm watching this game and loving pitt's offense. Man, I would love to have a physical offense.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 07:35 PM
If Mullen wanted to be successful THIS YEAR with Tyler at QB....he would have gone to a similar style as Pitt. Under center, JRob at RB, Holmes at FB, and power run behind the experienced OLine we have. Then run a lot of play action to get our great tight ends and young WR's open in space.

But, we changed nothing and hoped for better results. At least, through 1 game anyway.

WinningIsRelentless
09-02-2013, 08:39 PM
If Mullen wanted to be successful THIS YEAR with Tyler at QB....he would have gone to a similar style as Pitt. Under center, JRob at RB, Holmes at FB, and power run behind the experienced OLine we have. Then run a lot of play action to get our great tight ends and young WR's open in space.

But, we changed nothing and hoped for better results. At least, through 1 game anyway.

Did you not see what happened when Russell was under center? He tripped once over his own feet and got run over by the pulling lineman the second time!

msstate7
09-02-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm watching this game and loving pitt's offense. Man, I would love to have a physical offense.

It seems our offense has a lot in common with Pitt. Nice start and then...geez

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Did you not see what happened when Russell was under center? He tripped once over his own feet and got run over by the pulling lineman the second time!

If that wasn't a fluke, then Tyler should have been benched 2 years ago. The whole "Tyler can't play under center" is horseshit. Everybody can play under center. I learned how to play under center as a QB in my first ever pee wee league game. It takes all of 1 practice for a child to learn, much less a 4 star QB. That is not an excuse, and definitely not a reason we aren't doing it.

WinningIsRelentless
09-02-2013, 09:50 PM
If that wasn't a fluke, then Tyler should have been benched 2 years ago. The whole "Tyler can't play under center" is horseshit. Everybody can play under center. I learned how to play under center as a QB in my first ever pee wee league game. It takes all of 1 practice for a child to learn, much less a 4 star QB. That is not an excuse, and definitely not a reason we aren't doing it.

Anyone in principal can play under center but if you don't have the footwork then it won't work

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Anyone in principal can play under center but if you don't have the footwork then it won't work

If the Mannings can play under center, Tyler Russell can play under center. Sorry, I'm not buying that any 4 star QB can't learn how to play effectively under center. Especially a guy like Tyler. And like I said, if he can't, then he never should have taken the field for us.

Not to mention, the guy ran the ball a lot in high school, so he has the footwork to do it. Mullen just didn't get his ass under center because Mullen thought he could make it work out of his typical formations. Again, not Russell's fault, but another glaring example of how Russell and Mullen don't mesh

HancockCountyDog
09-02-2013, 10:23 PM
If the Mannings can play under center, Tyler Russell can play under center. Sorry, I'm not buying that any 4 star QB can't learn how to play effectively under center. Especially a guy like Tyler. And like I said, if he can't, then he never should have taken the field for us.

Not to mention, the guy ran the ball a lot in high school, so he has the footwoYrk to do it. Mullen just didn't get his ass under center because Mullen thought he could make it work out of his typical formations. Again, not Russell's fault, but another glaring example of how Russell and Mullen don't mesh

Russell never took a snap from under center at Meridian.

I honestly believe that last year was the first year he ran a play under center. It is different footwork altogether, and clearly something he is struggling with.

I watched LSU Saturday night, Russell would thrive in that offense, but we don't have any where close to those offensive pieces.

Also, does anyone know why we stopped playing fast on offense? When did we become a "run the play clock" offense?

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Russell never took a snap from under center at Meridian.

I honestly believe that last year was the first year he ran a play under center. It is different footwork altogether, and clearly something he is struggling with.

I watched LSU Saturday night, Russell would thrive in that offense, but we don't have any where close to those offensive pieces.

Also, does anyone know why we stopped playing fast on offense? When did we become a "run the play clock" offense?

I know he didn't. So what? If he's not retarded, he can learn how to do it in a day or a week max.

Guys, if he struggles with playing from under center, that is just more of a coaching and a Russell problem. It is EASY to run plays from under center. The most out of shape and concrete footed QB's in history ran plays under center. Quit using that as a reason not to do it. It's a bullshit thing to talk about because it takes a day to learn how to do it, and if he had been made to do it by the coaches he would EASILY be able to run plays under center. I can't believe we're even talking about someone "struggling" from under center. If that has anything to do with why those plays went bad, then I am even more pissed at Mullen and Russell for not preparing for even the basic shit like taking snaps from under center in practice if you are going to run plays from under center in a game.

As for your other points, I agree. Russell would excel in LsU's offense, and we could be running that offense if Mullen would have committed to it these last few years...but he didn't. ANd it doesn't take LSU talent to score more than 3 points against OSU running that offense, so I agree with you.

And I agree about the pace....we abandoned it as well. Just like everything else that works on offense, we took it out of the gameplan.

Todd4State
09-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Derrick Taite was able to play under center, and he was high.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Derrick Taite was able to play under center, and he was high.

Haha exactly.

WinningIsRelentless
09-03-2013, 01:24 PM
I know he didn't. So what? If he's not retarded, he can learn how to do it in a day or a week max.

Guys, if he struggles with playing from under center, that is just more of a coaching and a Russell problem. It is EASY to run plays from under center. The most out of shape and concrete footed QB's in history ran plays under center. Quit using that as a reason not to do it. It's a bullshit thing to talk about because it takes a day to learn how to do it, and if he had been made to do it by the coaches he would EASILY be able to run plays under center. I can't believe we're even talking about someone "struggling" from under center. If that has anything to do with why those plays went bad, then I am even more pissed at Mullen and Russell for not preparing for even the basic shit like taking snaps from under center in practice if you are going to run plays from under center in a game.

As for your other points, I agree. Russell would excel in LsU's offense, and we could be running that offense if Mullen would have committed to it these last few years...but he didn't. ANd it doesn't take LSU talent to score more than 3 points against OSU running that offense, so I agree with you.

And I agree about the pace....we abandoned it as well. Just like everything else that works on offense, we took it out of the gameplan.

Let me put it this way, you can't teach someone to shoot a basketball any better if they don't have the natural ability already to shoot, you can't teach someone to hit a baseball if they can't already hit somewhat, and last but not least you can't teach someone with bad feet good footwork. My point is they have to have it naturally in order for them to improve at it. He doesn't have good/quick footwork so he never will.

Now I will agree you can teach anyone the philosophy and reads of playing under center but that's just a small part of it.