PDA

View Full Version : Raindrops aren't falling on my head

starkvegasdawg
11-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Latest drought information. Despite the light showers we saw this week, things are continuing to deteriorate. Currently, 77/82 counties in MS are under burn bans. Unless you live in a coastal county or Stone and Wilkinson county, you're under a burn ban.

Here are three graphics showing the progression of the drought conditions:

Here it is from 3 months ago:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20160816/20160816_MS_date.png

Here is the drought graphic from last week:
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20161108/20161108_MS_date.png

And here it is for this week hot off the press:
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20161115/20161115_ms_none.png

If there a possible silver lining is that there are indications that we are starting to finally transition to a wetter pattern. Some light rain is expected tomorrow night and then again middle of next week with hints that more could be expected even further down the road, but that's just too far out to say with any clarity.

DownwardDawg
11-17-2016, 09:33 AM
It's brutal. Hunting sucks. Yeah the deer move a little in this cooler weather but your sinuses aren't very happy if you spend much time in the woods. A couple weeks ago, I went to check out a "branch" that holds water in the winter but generally dries up in a real dry summer. It will have pockets of water here and there even when it's dry. I found the lowest point and the mud was still a little damp and cool to the touch. No water. I bet there was 1,000 deer tracks in it.

BB30
11-17-2016, 09:48 AM
It's brutal. Hunting sucks. Yeah the deer move a little in this cooler weather but your sinuses aren't very happy if you spend much time in the woods. A couple weeks ago, I went to check out a "branch" that holds water in the winter but generally dries up in a real dry summer. It will have pockets of water here and there even when it's dry. I found the lowest point and the mud was still a little damp and cool to the touch. No water. I bet there was 1,000 deer tracks in it.

Yea my sinuses hate me right now. Hopefully we will get some rain tomorrow and next week and that will help out. I usually have sinus issues during the fall but it is generally over by now and they are worse then ever this year. It is hard to talk myself into going to the woods due to knowing I will feel like crap for two or three days after.

Maroonthirteen
11-17-2016, 10:24 AM
I am down right depressed about duck hunting. We will have a few fields pumped but our timber hole....usually has water by now. It is 100% dry right now. I haven't seen a mallard here or in Arkansas.

DownwardDawg
11-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Yea my sinuses hate me right now. Hopefully we will get some rain tomorrow and next week and that will help out. I usually have sinus issues during the fall but it is generally over by now and they are worse then ever this year. It is hard to talk myself into going to the woods due to knowing I will feel like crap for two or three days after.

True story, when I left the woods last week in my truck, I had to spit on my fingers and rub them in my nostrils to be able to talk!!! I was on the phone and I thought I was going to suffocate!!!!!

Dawgbite
11-17-2016, 10:42 AM
Yes! I'm still in maroon. I feel sorry for you guys having to live in OM red or Mustard Buzzard Yellow.*****

NELA Dawg
11-17-2016, 03:38 PM
I am down right depressed about duck hunting. We will have a few fields pumped but our timber hole....usually has water by now. It is 100% dry right now. I haven't seen a mallard here or in Arkansas.

Hunt with a friend who belongs to a duck hunting club with 2,000 acres of green tree timber. They have been pumping for over 2 months with little water to show for it. Everything is just soaking in. If we get any rain Friday evening, it may help the pumping some. But at least this past weekend for youth hunt we had some mallards.

Bama_Dawg
11-17-2016, 04:16 PM
I'm a walking advertisement for Flonase. If you haven't used it...try it. My ENT told me when I was young, that I had 2 choices with my allergies....take medicine (flonase) for the rest of my life or move to Arizona.

Well, I'm no Greg Byrne, so I use Flonase...and if that doesn't cut it, I supplement with Claritin.

Its really helped me.

BB30
11-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Hunt with a friend who belongs to a duck hunting club with 2,000 acres of green tree timber. They have been pumping for over 2 months with little water to show for it. Everything is just soaking in. If we get any rain Friday evening, it may help the pumping some. But at least this past weekend for youth hunt we had some mallards.

Same here we are not pumping but about 75 acres of timber usually don't have to pump that much in there but this year has been a different story. Fortunately, we are holding some birds so hopefully this weekend (ark) won't be too rough.

iPat09
11-17-2016, 04:22 PM
My brother's allergies get so bad that he sometimes takes Benadryl. Thing is, he has taken so much over the years that it no longer makes him drowsy. He was eventually prescribed flonase as well. Apparently it can kill your sense of smell? Not sure how true that is though. Meanwhile, I'm blessed with hardly every getting allergies. Even now, I have nothing. Not sure how I got so lucky and he didn't. Heartburn on the other hand, that's a different story...

MetEdDawg
11-17-2016, 08:24 PM
We are getting crushed here in Alabama. More than 1/3 of the state is in exceptional drought. we planted rye grass on our baseball field today because we really couldn't wait any longer.

TheRef
11-17-2016, 08:42 PM
The Delta should get some relief tomorrow. I'd expect around .25 to .5 inches tomorrow as a cold front pushes through with some moisture. However, the further east you go in Mississippi, the less rain you'll see.

RocketDawg
11-17-2016, 08:59 PM
We are getting crushed here in Alabama. More than 1/3 of the state is in exceptional drought. we planted rye grass on our baseball field today because we really couldn't wait any longer.

The golf course I went to today in Huntsville had just overseeded the fairways with rye. Seems like it's about 2 months later than normal? I suppose that's right ... generally fescue is seeded in September so presumably rye is too.

MetEdDawg
11-17-2016, 09:31 PM
The golf course I went to today in Huntsville had just overseeded the fairways with rye. Seems like it's about 2 months later than normal? I suppose that's right ... generally fescue is seeded in September so presumably rye is too.

We seeded in early October last year. But we decided early October this year that we would wait till the next rain....which never came. Shockingly, our city does not have water restrictions yet. So we watered for tryouts this last week and are going to water for the rye and pray like hell we get rain in December/January and don't end up on restrictions due to continued lack of rain.

RocketDawg
11-17-2016, 10:10 PM
We seeded in early October last year. But we decided early October this year that we would wait till the next rain....which never came. Shockingly, our city does not have water restrictions yet. So we watered for tryouts this last week and are going to water for the rye and pray like hell we get rain in December/January and don't end up on restrictions due to continued lack of rain.

No water restrictions here either that I know of. Much of Huntsville's water comes from the Tennessee River, and it's not going to run dry anytime soon. Ours in this part of Madison comes from a large well though.