PDA

View Full Version : PJ Fleck

fader2103
11-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Now I don't think we are going to fire Mullen now, even though I was in that camp earlier this year. I have cooled off a little.
This isn't a Fire Dan Mullen thread, but I saw this article on PJ Fleck and thought, Man someone is gonna get a great one.

http://247sports.com/Article/Western-Michigan-PJ-Fleck-is-an-elite-head-coach-recruiter-48982998

louisvilledawg
11-16-2016, 09:25 AM
I liked this in the article regarding recruiting- something which I wish we did a better job of

Fleck is already as hard-working a head coach recruiter as you?re going to find in America. Certainly on a smaller scale than Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney, it won?t be long before Fleck?s name is regularly mentioned alongside those guys as the best recruiter in the country, because he recognizes it?s the lifeblood of his program. He doesn?t just say that, he lives it.

?I?m heavily involved, probably more than anything else,? Fleck said of where his time is spread out.

?We recruit every day at some point. We talk to kids every day. I communicate with kids throughout every single day.?

Between the game planning and the fundraising, and the continual development of the facilities to the community involvement, Fleck finds the time to be a major presence on the recruiting trail.

?You?re here very early and you?re here very late, but those are things head coaches have to be able to sacrifice,? Fleck said.

The sacrifice has paid off as Western Michigan has finished with the top-ranked recruiting class in the MAC per 247Sports every year he?s been in charge, and the 2017 haul ranks No. 1 again.

As important as Fleck?s relationship with prospects is, he spends just as much time talking to his staff about finding and looking for the right tangibles and mental-makeup a player has.

?This is a speed game,? Fleck said. A former receiver at Northern Illinois, he had a cup of coffee in the NFL before getting into coaching. ?You gotta run. And it?s not just you got to run 4.3. You gotta play the game really fast. I wasn?t very fast but I could play the game fast. I could be very efficient. I can outwork you. Basically out give you. It?s a weird way to describe it but I can out give you meaning I was going to give more of my energy, my passion, my soul to my teammates, which was going to inspire them to be way better. That?s what I?m looking for. Every position you?re looking for true leadership. Does he make people around him better? Do you have to motivate him to get him going? Those are things that we look at.?

Fleck said recruits have 100 percent access to him just the same as his players do when they?re on campus.

?I prefer personable relationships,? Fleck said. ?I prefer emotional attachments. I prefer bonds. True relationships. Some people want to avoid that because it?s still a business at the end of the day. At the end of the day assistant coaches will come and go. At the end of the day for the most part I?m going to be the one that?s going to be with them. I think that?s where I have to feel very comfortable about the person above anything else, that I know they can grow under our culture.

bulldawg28
11-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Who?

smootness
11-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I think Fleck is going to be a very good coach. He seems destined to become the next young guy to have a ton of success once he gets a bigger job.

TheRef
11-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Who?

Western Michigan coach

Corn Bread
11-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Western Michigan coach

I thought Rev. Freeze was the best recruiter in the nation.

starkvegasdawg
11-16-2016, 11:30 AM
I thought Rev. Freeze was the best recruiter in the nation.

Pimp. Best pimp in the nation.

http://i.imgur.com/NAsxbkK.png

Ari Gold
11-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Fleck > Herman ... IMO

preachermatt83
11-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Fleck > Herman ... IMO

I think u may be right. It is unreal how good Fleck is

bulldawg28
11-16-2016, 06:57 PM
I think u may be right. It is unreal how good Fleck is

His record is. 500. What's great about him?

Really Clark?
11-16-2016, 07:05 PM
His record is. 500. What's great about him?

He is at .563. 1-11 his first year, 8-5, 8-5, and 10-0 right now. Nice trajectory

bulldawg28
11-16-2016, 07:21 PM
He is at .563. 1-11 his first year, 8-5, 8-5, and 10-0 right now. Nice trajectory

True.

DogsofAnarchy
11-16-2016, 07:28 PM
His staff is head and shoulders above our staff right now. Where we have been hurt is that we have had a head coach who won't let his coaches coach. Couple that with the fact that they don't recruit tenacious and you get where we are today.

QUOTE=bulldawg28;651749]True.[/QUOTE]

preachermatt83
11-16-2016, 09:40 PM

This

bulldawg28
11-17-2016, 09:10 AM
His staff is head and shoulders above our staff right now. Where we have been hurt is that we have had a head coach who won't let his coaches coach. Couple that with the fact that they don't recruit tenacious and you get where we are today.

QUOTE=bulldawg28;651749]True.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they have a better staff.