PDA

View Full Version : Calling plays....

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Ok, I know what you're thinking...."Shit, Cadaver is really hung up on this play calling shit isn't he?" Yes. Yes I am. But we're going to have fun with it now that we are in prep mode for game 2.

Since Mullen and Koenning had all motherf'ing offseason to draw up that diarrhea of a game plan.....now it's OUR turn.

Many teams script out there first 10-15 offensive play calls of the game regardless of result of the play. Let's pretend that each of us got to be OC for this week and draw up those first 10 plays. Keep in mind that you have Dak as the starter, and that this isn't a video game, but real life plays. So no Hail Mary's or double reverses every play. And I know some people know more X's and O's than others, so it can be simple things like, "screen pass to Perk", or "flea flicker".

Script the first 10 offensive plays of the next game if YOU were the OC.......Go...

breazy
09-02-2013, 06:46 PM
I'll play along, but im only gonna do 3.

Zone read because why not
zone read because the tape shows we will continue to do the same shit beating our head against the wall
play action pass off of zone read oh shit a wrinkle

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 06:48 PM
1. Play action pass to Malcolm in the flat
2. WR quick screen to the opposite side of the field to RoJo
3. Option play with Dak and Perkins
4. Zone read play with Dak and JRob
5. Play action deep fade to DeRunnya
6. Quick slant to Jameon over the middle
7. Zone read play with Dak and Perkins
8. Play action rollout, deep comeback route to RoJo
9. Screen pass to Perkins
10. Option reverse to Jameon. Dak runs the option and pitches toward JRob, but Jameon is coming around to catch the pitch on the reverse.

If these plays are successful in spreading the D out....I would focus a little more heavy on the up the middle runs on the next series because it should be loosened up a little.

Ghost of Hank Flick
09-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Not to piss on your idea here, but I don't think the game plan was really the problem. For instance, the scripted first drive you mentioned was going fine until Joe Morrow got a holding penalty (not to mention Russell threw behind Tubby on a sure TD). The next drive Perkins was running wild and Russell threw an INT.

The problem is not making the adjustment from the initial game plan once the opposing defense figures out what you're doing.

GumpDawg
09-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Nothing specific, but it being Dak's first start I HOPE we put him in comfortable situations in the passing game early. Swing passes, screens, get the TE involved, etc. If we can build him some confidence and open up the run game then he can take some shots down field. Run a true spread where we are isolating our athletes on their athletes. If that happens then we should roll. If its the same stupid pistol, counter, dive crap we are setting him up for failure.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Not to piss on your idea here, but I don't think the game plan was really the problem. For instance, the scripted first drive you mentioned was going fine until Joe Morrow got a holding penalty (not to mention Russell threw behind Tubby on a sure TD). The next drive Perkins was running wild and Russell threw an INT.

The problem is not making the adjustment from the initial game plan once the opposing defense figures out what you're doing.

I agree with this. The problem isn't the 1st 10 plays, the problem is the "Oh shit" moment that comes after things don't exactly go our way. We are very very poor at making adjustments. So, instead of making an adjustment, we go into a box and lose all aggressiveness and creativity in our offense.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Oh I completely agree that the first 10 weren't the issue, but they stopped after that. We made no adjustments and play calling was shit for the rest of the game. I'm just doing a spin off of the fact that overall we had no imagination, creativity or anything after those first two drives, so I wanted to see how others would start the next game with Dak.

Hell, forget it being the first 10 plays, and just call 10 plays that you would like to see that would show some creativity or a good balance of run/pass. Guess I shouldn't have been so specific about "first 10". Or we can just let this fall off the board for all I care.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-02-2013, 07:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuzLtLppxp0

Like to see more of this

godlluB
09-02-2013, 08:40 PM
1. Up the middle
2. Up the middle
3. Up the middle
4. Punt

5. Up the middle
6. Up the middle
7. Up the middle
8. Punt

9. Up the middle
10. Up the middle
11. Up the middle
12. Punt

Collect $275,000.

What do I win?

WinningIsRelentless
09-02-2013, 09:03 PM
1. Fake zone read and hit Malcolm deep down the middle (safeties will be up to start the game because that's the adjustment osu made to stop us and will bite on a hard jab step by dak)
2. Motion hb across and run run/pass option
3. Shovel pass underneath to hb
4. Tb up the middle
5. Deep flag route and slant by outside receivers with back on a wheel route
6. Zone read
7. Wr option with Halloway (people wonder why he didn't play is because he can't catch but has speed to burn so this gets him the ball in space)
8. Wr screen to chapella
9. Qb draw
10. Perk and Jrob in split backfield running the triple option to the weak side

The key is we must make the opponents respect the deep routes to keep the box manageable for our ol. This is what dak can do well for us, unlike Russell he isn't trying to pad stats for the draft and he trust his arm and throws the receivers open. Did I mention he isn't a damn puss and will run with some authority? We have power with dak Jrob and Milton then speed with perk. We have to know how to use this to our advantage. Pound on the d hard with the power backs and hopefully midway through the 3rd perks speed will be a killer to them.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2013, 09:10 PM
1. Fake zone read and hit Malcolm deep down the middle (safeties will be up to start the game because that's the adjustment osu made to stop us and will bite on a hard jab step by dak)
4. Tb up the middle
6. Zone read
7. Wr option with Halloway (people wonder why he didn't play is because he can't catch but has speed to burn so this gets him the ball in space)
8. Wr screen to chapella
9. Qb draw

The key is we must make the opponents respect the deep routes to keep the box manageable for our ol. This is what dak can do well for us, unlike Russell he isn't trying to pad stats for the draft and he trust his arm and throws the receivers open. Did I mention he isn't a damn puss and will run with some authority? We have power with dak Jrob and Milton then speed with perk. We have to know how to use this to our advantage. Pound on the d hard with the power backs and hopefully midway through the 3rd perks speed will be a killer to them.

aerodawg
09-03-2013, 12:57 AM
1. Quick pass out in the flats to Perkins. -High percentage play to get the jitters out.
2. Read option with Perkins. -Gotta test the run game.
3. Slants. -Fairly high percentage play if the QB makes reads instead of keying on one guy.
4. Triple option play made famous by Mullen in Florida with Malcolm Johnson and Perkins. -We can go back to this with a running QB.
5. Robinson up the gut. -He needs more carries.
6. Play action with Wilson going deep and Malcolm Johnson intermediate with Jameon Lewis getting into the flats with some space for the checkdown if needed.
7. Robinson and Perkins both in at RB reading and giving to Perkins behind Robinson or Dak keeping it if the end crashes.
8. Play action boot with Johnson going deep post and Lewis doing a deep outs pattern and rb releasing for the checkdown in the flats.
9. Robinson up the gut.
10. Perkins screen.

Or you know, we could go up the gut on 2nd and 15 and 3rd and 12 with a Senior QB.

bulldawg28
09-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Feed Malcolm Johnson and everything else opens up.

Barking 13
09-03-2013, 12:50 PM
4. Tb up the middle
6. Zone read
8. Wr screen to chapella
9. Qb draw

give the man a cigar, or a seat in the booth... positive rep points