PDA

View Full Version : CFP Rankings.

TUSK
11-15-2016, 11:03 PM
Any thoughts on Michigan staying at #3?

I actually like the precedent.

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2016, 11:07 PM
Playoffs, playoffs? We can't even get a first down.

In all honesty, I've lost interest. Your team will win the championship game by double digits so it really doesn't matter.

Commercecomet24
11-15-2016, 11:11 PM
It's a mess this year. There's Bama and everyone else.

TUSK
11-15-2016, 11:11 PM

In all honesty, I've lost interest. Your team will win the championship game by double digits so it really doesn't matter.

I'm gonna put you down for a "no".

Cooterpoot
11-15-2016, 11:12 PM
Mich and OSU will solve their problems in 2 weeks. One gets eliminated. Bama and Clemson are in if they win out. Louisville in after OSU/Michigan.
Bama vs Louisville....round 1

TUSK
11-15-2016, 11:21 PM
Mich and OSU will solve their problems in 2 weeks. One gets eliminated. Bama and Clemson are in if they win out. Louisville in after OSU/Michigan.

Agreed, we know how it will probably shake out.... I'm just curious about a team losing & not dropping.

It's a precedent query.

msstate7
11-15-2016, 11:22 PM

I definitely think bama is the best team, but I wouldn't get too carried away with how bama will fare outside the sec bc of inside the sec dominance. I really think the sec is pretty bad this year. Bama's closest games were lsu and om. Lsu was beaten by the 3rd or 4th best big10 school (Wisconsin). Om was beaten by the 3rd or 4th best acc school (fsu). The sec west is the strength of the sec and 4 of the west schools (om, aTm, Arkansas, and us) have abortions for defenses. Really feel like big10 > sec this year

Apoplectic
11-15-2016, 11:27 PM
Would probably be best if PSU gets in with clemson, BAma, and OSU so taht precedence is set. Will open the door for multiple SEC teams in the future.

msstate7
11-15-2016, 11:28 PM

If Ohio state beats Michigan and I think they will, the committee will be in a tough spot. Penn state will almost certainly win their last 2 which will put them in big10 championship game if Ohio state beats Michigan. You'd then have Wisconsin vs penn state in championship game with Ohio state as the highest rated big 10 team. The only way the committee could put Ohio state in then would be to put the big10 champ in too imo. Will the committee put 2 big 10 teams in? If Michigan beats Ohio state, problem solved.

TUSK
11-15-2016, 11:41 PM
I definitely think bama is the best team, but I wouldn't get too carried away with how bama will fare outside the sec bc of inside the sec dominance. I really think the sec is pretty bad this year. Bama's closest games were lsu and om. Lsu was beaten by the 3rd or 4th best big10 school (Wisconsin). Om was beaten by the 3rd or 4th best acc school (fsu). The sec west is the strength of the sec and 4 of the west schools (om, aTm, Arkansas, and us) have abortions for defenses. Really feel like big10 > sec this year

I can't disagree with any of that.

However, if by some strange twist, wisky & lsu meet again, I'll give ya wisky & 8.

OSU is the only legit threat IMO.

Commercecomet24
11-15-2016, 11:46 PM

However, if by some strange twist, wisky & lsu meet again, I'll give ya wisky & 8.

You are correct sir, especially about lsu and Ohio state

msstate7
11-15-2016, 11:50 PM

If lsu and Wisconsin meet again, 8 points total might not be scored.

National rankings in scoring defense...

#3 -- Wisconsin/Ohio state
#6 -- lsu

Definitely think lsu is better, but Wisconsin has since changed qb's too and definitely upgraded

TUSK
11-15-2016, 11:56 PM
If lsu and Wisconsin meet again, 8 points total might not be scored.

National rankings in scoring defense...

#3 -- Wisconsin/Ohio state
#6 -- lsu

Definitely think lsu is better, but Wisconsin has since changed qb's and definitely upgraded

Fair enough, my friend.

I think it'd be a 21-13 type game.

War Machine Dawg
11-16-2016, 12:03 AM
Honestly, I'd have left Clemson at 2. They lost, but does anyone disagree they're the second best team in the nation right now? The only other team with an argument for it in my mind is OSU. Losing, especially on a last second FG, doesn't change that so far as I'm concerned.

All that said, we're in the Era of Saban. Until about 3-4 years after he leaves, the season is essentially over before it begins. It's your guys then everyone else. Y'all are a semipro team. Until that miserable midget bastard leaves or retires, college football is boring and screwed.

TUSK
11-16-2016, 12:18 AM
Honestly, I'd have left Clemson at 2. They lost, but does anyone disagree they're the second best team in the nation right now? The only other team with an argument for it in my mind is OSU. Losing, especially on a last second FG, doesn't change that so far as I'm concerned.

All that said, we're in the Era of Saban. Until about 3-4 years after he leaves, the season is essentially over before it begins. It's your guys then everyone else. Y'all are a semipro team. Until that miserable midget bastard leaves or retires, college football is boring and screwed.

Well, to hijack my own thread:

What I don't wanna see:
1-bammer
4-Clemson

2-OSU
3-whatever sacrificial lamb

What I'd love to see:
2-4 - any combination of l'ville, Washington, Michigan, wisky, psu.

msstate7
11-16-2016, 12:25 AM
Well, to hijack my own thread:

What I don't wanna see:
1-bammer
4-Clemson

2-OSU
3-whatever sacrificial lamb

What I'd love to see:
2-4 - any combination of l'ville, Washington, Michigan, wisky, psu.

My prediction:

1 bama
4 penn state (big 10 champs)

2 Ohio state
3 Clemson

1 bama
2 Ohio state

Saban vs urban... the way it should be

dawgs
11-16-2016, 12:42 AM

Clemson has played way too inconsistently and been involved in way too many close games with mediocre opponents for anyone to say with any certainty they are the #2 team.

How is a 3 L USC ahead of a 1 L wvu?

dawgs
11-16-2016, 12:43 AM
What'll be interesting is if Ohio st beats Michigan and penn st wins out, then penn st plays Wisconsin in the big 10 CG, but Ohio st is clearly the best team.

TUSK
11-16-2016, 12:51 AM
Clemson has played way too inconsistently and been involved in way too many close games with mediocre opponents for anyone to say with any certainty they are the #2 team.

I think USC is underrated. They turned the corner. New qb.

They'd smoke WV, Utah & a few others. Imo

Commercecomet24
11-16-2016, 12:51 AM

Media wants the pac12 to be relevant again but the conference is extremely weak. Their best team, Washington(I guess) gave up 400 yards rushing to a terrible Arizona team and lost to a team that Bama annihilated. The conference from top to bottom is nothing special

TUSK
11-16-2016, 01:14 AM
Media wants the pac12 to be relevant again but the conference is extremely weak. Their best team, Washington(I guess) gave up 400 yards rushing to a terrible Arizona team and lost to a team that Bama annihilated. The conference from top to bottom is nothing special

Hypothetical bet: I'll give you Washington and +14 through 3 quarters vs Bammer;)******

USC is their best team, IMO. I'd go as far to say USC is top 5 (talent-wise) in the country.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2016, 01:22 AM
Hypothetical bet: I'll give you Washington and +14 through 3 quarters vs Bammer;)******

USC is their best team, IMO. I'd go as far to say USC is top 5 (talent-wise) in the country.

I wouldn't take that cause I don't think Washingtons that good lol. I've watched everyone of their games and new they were overrated but didn't think anyone In pac12 was good enough To beat them. I'm just still not sold on usc. I think their offense is pretty good but don't believe they have a championship defense yet. Remember I was right about Texas and Notre Dame lol!!!

sleepy dawg
11-16-2016, 01:30 AM
Their top 4 matched my top 4 I did on Sunday. After the top 4 though, we were different. I come up with my own top 10 every week then compare to the committees each week. I don't try to predict, but rather just try to say what I think before theirs comes out. I had Wisconsin and Louisville swapped from theirs, but other than that, we were very close in the same thinking.

Michigan only has 1 loss (when it happened is irrelevant), and Iowa isn't a bad team despite their 6-4 record. They've beaten Colorado, Penn St., and Wisconsin who are ranked in the top 10.

TUSK
11-16-2016, 01:49 AM
I wouldn't take that cause I don't think Washingtons that good lol. I've watched everyone of their games and new they were overrated but didn't think anyone In pac12 was good enough To beat them. I'm just still not sold on usc. I think their offense is pretty good but don't believe they have a championship defense yet. Remember I was right about Texas and Notre Dame lol!!!

How dare you oppress me due to my "drankin' disease"!!!!!

Where's my safe space?????

dawgs
11-16-2016, 03:33 AM

Lulz the media wants the pac12 relevant? That's a first.

Also, outside of bama, CFB is very meh this year. You can find fault with everyone. Ohio st lost to a team Michigan destroyed and Michigan lost to a team that lost to a FBS opponent. Clempson seemed to be on the ropes against every mediocre team they played and finally lost. Louisville lost to clempson. Big 12 is shit. Sec after bama is shit. USC is definitely better under the freshman QB.

shoeless joe
11-16-2016, 07:50 AM
I'm gonna go on record and say that bama doesn't win it all this year

dawgday166
11-16-2016, 08:54 AM
One of the things that I thought was supposed to be one of the criteria was "game control". Based on that I don't see how Lville isn't number 2. IMO they have the best resume of 1 loss teams. Of course Harbaugh doesn't coach at Lville (and I like Harbaugh).

In the end they'll figure out how to put in 4 conference champs unless OSU gets in as an at-large.

dawgday166
11-16-2016, 08:55 AM

I believe so too.

Homedawg
11-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Look for ole miss to make a push into the top 4. The committee values and understands the greatness of Patterson. Record be damned**

smootness
11-16-2016, 09:25 AM
They would have dropped further, but Clemson and Washington also losing obviously changed that. I don't think it's much of a precedent, it's just a reflection of a weird week.

smootness
11-16-2016, 09:27 AM
One of the things that I thought was supposed to be one of the criteria was "game control". Based on that I don't see how Lville isn't number 2. IMO they have the best resume of 1 loss teams. Of course Harbaugh doesn't coach at Lville (and I like Harbaugh).

In the end they'll figure out how to put in 4 conference champs unless OSU gets in as an at-large.

The games they've controlled, outside of FSU, have pretty much been complete garbage, and they didn't control the Duke, Virginia, and Wake Forest games very well.

msstate7
11-16-2016, 09:40 AM
Look for ole miss to make a push into the top 4. The committee values and understands the greatness of Patterson. Record be damned**

Well it's only fair... Patterson is obviously a 1st ballot NFL HOFer right now

dawgday166
11-16-2016, 09:44 AM
The games they've controlled, outside of FSU, have pretty much been complete garbage, and they didn't control the Duke, Virginia, and Wake Forest games very well.

They ended up destroying Wake. They had somewhat close games against Duke & Va. They have 1 close loss in an away game at Clemson that came down to the wire. They've pretty much destroyed everyone else.

Who has Mich dominated other than Penn State that is impressive? And their loss is away at a decent but not great 4 loss Iowa team.

Who has Clemson dominated other than BC? And their loss is at home against a 4 loss Pittsburgh team.

OSU has been more dominant. A loss away at a 2 loss Pitt team and a close one at home to Northwestern.

bulldawg28
11-16-2016, 09:53 AM
I think USC is underrated. They turned the corner. New qb.

They'd smoke WV, Utah & a few others. Imo

USC still isn't good their conference is trash.

bulldawg28
11-16-2016, 09:54 AM

I also agree with this

sleepy dawg
11-16-2016, 10:01 AM

Nobody in their right mind could Louisville over Clemson. Not only does Clemson's schedule more difficult, they beat Louisville.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2016, 10:02 AM
How dare you oppress me due to my "drankin' disease"!!!!!

Where's my safe space?????

You make me laugh, Tusk! So are you a snowflake now? lol

Jack Lambert
11-16-2016, 10:15 AM
It's a mess this year. There's Bama and everyone else.

At this point everyone is playing to see who gets their ass whipped by Bama.

smootness
11-16-2016, 10:30 AM
They ended up destroying Wake. They had somewhat close games against Duke & Va. They have 1 close loss in an away game at Clemson that came down to the wire. They've pretty much destroyed everyone else.

Who has Mich dominated other than Penn State that is impressive? And their loss is away at a decent but not great 4 loss Iowa team.

Who has Clemson dominated other than BC? And their loss is at home against a 4 loss Pittsburgh team.

OSU has been more dominant. A loss away at a 2 loss Pitt team and a close one at home to Northwestern.

Sure, but their game control score in that game was pretty low, due to the fact they in no way controlled that game for 3+ quarters. 'Game control' is not about final margin of victory; Louisville ran it up very late.

Also, Michigan's domination over Penn State is more impressive than Louisville's over FSU, and they also beat Wisconsin, which is a much better win than anything else Louisville has. That is 2 top-10 wins. Louisville has nothing but a win over #17 FSU.

Clemson beat Louisville (which kind of renders any further discussion moot), Auburn, Florida State, and even Troy is in the top 25. They have a better resume than Louisville, period.

dawgday166
11-16-2016, 10:31 AM

I'm sorta thinking this could happen too. There's 3 possible teams with dual-threat QBs, WRs, and running game combinations that can cause Bama's D to have to cover the whole field. Bama's Oline is still a little suspect to me, which is masked somewhat by Hurts' mobility. No one in the SEC is really able address that. Not sure if anyone outside the SEC can, but they may. Hurts does currently make more mistakes than the other 3 QBs I'm talking about. The teams I'm thinking of can possibly score with them tho.

Bama's D is the better D tho, which I have a hard time going against a team with the better D with all else close to equal.

dawgday166
11-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Sure, but their game control score in that game was pretty low, due to the fact they in no way controlled that game for 3+ quarters. 'Game control' is not about final margin of victory; Louisville ran it up very late.

Also, Michigan's domination over Penn State is more impressive than Louisville's over FSU, and they also beat Wisconsin, which is a much better win than anything else Louisville has. That is 2 top-10 wins. Louisville has nothing but a win over #17 FSU.

Clemson beat Louisville (which kind of renders any further discussion moot), Auburn, Florida State, and even Troy is in the top 25. They have a better resume than Louisville, period.

Ok ... I'll buy that. Still think Lville beats Michigan tho. I think it's close with OSU & Clemson.

smootness
11-16-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm going to predict that the 4 playoff teams are Bama, Michigan, Clemson, and Washington. I think Michigan is the 2nd-best team in the country but don't think their style of play and QB being out will allow them to beat Bama. Clemson is a worse version of last year's team, so I can't see them beating Bama. And Washington is a good team with a good, young QB, but I just don't think they have the talent to hang with Bama for 4 quarters.

Ohio State could get in if they beat Michigan, but in that scenario, Penn State would likely have to get in as well. And if Louisville gets in, I don't think their defense is good enough to hang with Bama.

Gutter Cobreh
11-16-2016, 11:01 AM
I'm gonna put you down for a "no".

Nicely done. Unfortunately, I must spread some reputation around before giving it to Tusk again.

HSVDawg
11-16-2016, 11:31 AM
Overall, the rankings turned out as I expected. The committee made a statement that I long suspected to be the case, and that is unless there are a slew of two-loss teams (meaning Washington and either Clemson or Louisville also drop another game) , OSU and Michigan won't both be getting in. They are setting it up as a play-in game between those two teams for a spot. Also, OSU not making the conference championship will not be a factor. They will still get in if they win out, as well they should. People have said the Iowa upset of Michigan hurts them because now they don't control their own destiny to the conference championship, but I'd argue that it helps them because they don't have to worry about winning an extra game.

Big winners I think were Washington and Ohio State. Even though they fell out of the top 4, Washington still controls their own destiny and will leapfrog Louisville and Wisconsin if they win out as their schedule down the stretch is much stronger than their early season schedule. That may not have been the case if they had slipped down to say 9th or 10th. OSU getting the 2-spot means they are in if they win out, period. Big loser was Louisville, as they remain the only team in the group of 6 contenders that doesn't control its own destiny. Their schedule doesn't do them any favors either.