of __ sr __ C Brown __ 0.182 __ 44 __ 8 __ 4
cc __ so __ Marrero __ 0.147 __ 34 __ 5 __ 5
1b __ jr __ Marze H __ 0.143 __ 21 __ 3 __ 3
3b __ jr __ Bragg H __ 0.116 __ 43 __ 5 __ 0
of __ jr __ Vansau __ 0.088 __ 34 __ 3 __ 2
xx __ xx __ Team All __ 0.271 __ 665 __ 180 __ 105

Team BA is 0.271

Good News:
(1) Lovelady (C), Skelton (Somewhere), and Gordon (1b) appear to have earned starting roles, competition does not appear close
(2) Reed Smith, Severance, Blaylock (Redshirt) and McQuary are solid freshmen
(3) Gridley got hot at the end of summer Ball and is still hot in the Fall
(4) Marze does not have a great average, but he is a big-frame dude (6-2 220 lb), he has not been a hitter since HS - has already equaled some full time hitters this fall - I think the coaches realize that Gordon might need a RH-Pinch Hitter situationally

Commercecomet24
11-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Appreciate that info! Dang rooker and Gordon been driving a boatload of runs! A little concerned about our starting pitching. Got the arms just not a ton of experience.

preachermatt83
11-15-2016, 11:18 PM
ps __ cl __ Player Nm __ avg __ ab __ h __ rbi
cc __ sr __ Lovelady __ 0.429 __ 28 __ 12 __ 4
3b __ so __ Skelton __ 0.406 __ 32 __ 13 __ 5
1b __ so __ Gordon __ 0.378 __ 37 __ 14 __ 16
2b __ so __ Gridley __ 0.349 __ 43 __ 15 __ 7
of __ jr __ Rooker __ 0.348 __ 46 __ 16 __ 15
if __ fr __ R Smith __ 0.320 __ 25 __ 8 __ 1
2b __ so __ Stovall __ 0.306 __ 49 __ 15 __ 4
of __ so __ Mangum __ 0.297 __ 37 __ 11 __ 5
of __ fr __ Severance __ 0.292 __ 24 __ 7 __ 6
of __ fr __ Blaylock __ 0.286 __ 42 __ 12 __ 3
if __ fr __ McQuary __ 0.286 __ 14 __ 4 __ 3
ss __ so __ Alexander __ 0.277 __ 47 __ 13 __ 11
of __ so __ Macnamee __ 0.250 __ 32 __ 8 __ 8
of __ jr __ Poole T. __ 0.242 __ 33 __ 8 __ 3
of __ sr __ C Brown __ 0.182 __ 44 __ 8 __ 4
cc __ so __ Marrero __ 0.147 __ 34 __ 5 __ 5
1b __ jr __ Marze H __ 0.143 __ 21 __ 3 __ 3
3b __ jr __ Bragg H __ 0.116 __ 43 __ 5 __ 0
of __ jr __ Vansau __ 0.088 __ 34 __ 3 __ 2
xx __ xx __ Team All __ 0.271 __ 665 __ 180 __ 105

Team BA is 0.271

Good News:
(1) Lovelady (C), Skelton (Somewhere), and Gordon (1b) appear to have earned starting roles, competition does not appear close
(2) Reed Smith, Severance, Blaylock (Redshirt) and McQuary are solid freshmen
(3) Gridley got hot at the end of summer Ball and is still hot in the Fall
(4) Marze does not have a great average, but he is a big-frame dude (6-2 220 lb), he has not been a hitter since HS - has already equaled some full time hitters this fall - I think the coaches realize that Gordon might need a RH-Pinch Hitter situationally

Marze either just had or is about to have surgery right?

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 11:44 PM
Gridley just had surgery on his leg in the offseason. He’s just now healthy, which says a lot because he has been pretty good regardless.

I’m pleased with Reed Smith. If I were Cannizaro I would probably play him at third base and go with it. I know Skelton has played some at third base as well but he’s learning that position. If he catches on there, I could see him starting.

We might have to redshirt Bragg if his balls don’t start finding grass soon. He didn’t hit that well this summer either.

Great to see Lovelady back as well.

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 11:44 PM
Marze either just had or is about to have surgery right?

Correct but I'm not sure what he had done.

lamont
11-16-2016, 12:41 AM
Lovelady is a helluva defensive catcher. Him hitting anything is a huge bonus.

Cann has a helluva SS decision on his hands. Its damn hard to move a guy that has been solid there for 2 years now.

msstate7
11-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Lovelady is a helluva defensive catcher. Him hitting anything is a huge bonus.

Cann has a helluva SS decision on his hands. Its damn hard to move a guy that has been solid there for 2 years now.

Move Gridley to 2b. Play Alexander at SS. Play stovall everywhere

shoeless joe
11-16-2016, 07:45 AM
Move Gridley to 2b. Play Alexander at SS. Play stovall everywhere

Yep...I'm a huge proponent of elite D at the SS position. Slide gridley to second and infield defense just improved immensely. If Alexander hits it'll just be a bonus

louisvilledawg
11-16-2016, 09:20 AM
What the hell is up with Marrero? He still have a stabby swing and slow wheels? We need this dude to hit better than .147

lamont
11-16-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm a huge proponent of "let's don't fix what's not broken"

msstate7
11-16-2016, 09:42 AM

Weren't you bragging on saban for changing to up-tempo offense when his system was obviously not broken?

lamont
11-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Weren't you bragging on saban for changing to up-tempo offense when his system was obviously not broken?

Saban's system was broken. He and Les Miles ran the same offense in 2003. Saban changed his- Miles didn't. Miles fell behind and ended up fired. Saban figured out he couldn't just run the I and play conservative. He opened up offensively because he saw that his defenses would give up more points due to the offensive changes.

We were good defensively last season. Gridley fielded at a .963 last year. Alexander was young- but he was still a .939. I prefer the guy that has handled the position for 2 years already and has done a good job at it over potential.

msstate7
11-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Saban's system was broken. He and Les Miles ran the same offense in 2003. Saban changed his- Miles didn't. Miles fell behind and ended up fired. Saban figured out he couldn't just run the I and play conservative. He opened up offensively because he saw that his defenses would give up more points due to the offensive changes.

We were good defensively last season. Gridley fielded at a .963 last year. Alexander was young- but he was still a .939. I prefer the guy that has handled the position for 2 years already and has done a good job at it over potential.

I'd like more range and arm strength at SS. Early in the season, Alexander made a play at vandy from the grass in LF almost at 3b. Gridley doesn't come close to that ball much less throw a runner out. Fielding % doesn't account for that.

shoeless joe
11-16-2016, 10:22 AM

To an extent yes...but if you've got an obvious upgrade and can still keep gridley on the field then you do it because it improves the team and our chance of winning. Elite SS defense is a game changer.

Somewhat surprised by your stance on this

HoopsDawg
11-16-2016, 10:33 AM
To an extent yes...but if you've got an obvious upgrade and can still keep gridley on the field then you do it because it improves the team and our chance of winning. Elite SS defense is a game changer.

Somewhat surprised by your stance on this

I don't think it's obvious that Alexander is better than Grid defensively. Grid makes all the routine plays and that is more important than the occasional great play.

msstate7
11-16-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't think it's obvious that Alexander is better than Grid defensively. Grid makes all the routine plays and that is more important than the occasional great play.

You're comparing upperclassman Gridley to freshman Alexander. Gridley has come a long way and it stands to reason the same could be true for Alexander. Alexander has potential pro baseball defensive ability... Gridley doesn't.

shoeless joe
11-16-2016, 11:03 AM

If this were true then I'd agree. If it turns out that Alexander isn't the defensive studd he's supposed to be then you're rite. My point is simply that elite SS gloves are hard to come by and if Alexander is that guy he should play SS. If he struggles in practice and games to make routine plays then you play gridley. It's an easy decision.

My point from the beginning has been that if Alexander has that good of a glove then I want him on the field whether he's a top tier hitter or not.

lamont
11-16-2016, 11:04 AM
You're comparing upperclassman Gridley to freshman Alexander. Gridley has come a long way and it stands to reason the same could be true for Alexander. Alexander has potential pro baseball defensive ability... Gridley doesn't.

And that is what Cann has to figure out. Is the potential guy going to be solid enough to replace the steady guy we can rely on. As Hoops said- you don't want to add range there if he is also going to make more errors. You used the "p-word". Is the potential worth abandoning what we already have? We'll see what he decides

msstate7
11-16-2016, 11:07 AM
And that is what Cann has to figure out. Is the potential guy going to be solid enough to replace the steady guy we can rely on. As Hoops said- you don't want to add range there if he is also going to make more errors. You used the "p-word". Is the potential worth abandoning what we already have? We'll see what he decides

It'll be interesting for sure to see how he plays the above 2 and stovall also

Todd4State
11-16-2016, 11:18 AM
I think Gridley is more than likely a second baseman in the pros so moving him to second might help in that regard. I think LA can stick at SS in the pros possibly depending on the organization. Something else Cannizaro has to consider that might factor in.

msstate7
11-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Another thing to consider with Gridley/Alexander is the bat. I know it seems Gridley was far superior here, but stats don't indicate that's entirely true...

Gridley -- .284/.340/.345 ops .685,
iso .061

Alexander -- .222/.342/.333 ops .675,
Iso .111

Backwoodsdawg
11-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Some of you need to actually go out to a practice or scrimmage so you can see what is playing out. From what I've seen at the last couple I was at, Bragg is the component that has everyone guessing. He looks the part for sure but is really struggling with the bat like he did this summer against above average pitching. They have actually put him at 1st base the majority of the time for the last week or so as well. If he can start making contact with the ball he may have found him a spot at 1st because he is better defensively than Gordon.(Gordon will be your DH in this situation) Since this move Alexander has been playing a pretty good bit at 3rd which is probably the best option there because Smith isn't quite ready defensively and Skelton is going to have to catch some. Gridley and Stovall will most likely be up the middle which will be fine(I looked up Stovall's fielding % for yall too and he made 1 error all season and had a .994 fielding %). Also don't forget Stovall had earned the everyday starter role last year at 2nd base until he got injured in the Alabama series. The outfield will be interesting too. Rooker has been really good defensively this fall of course Mangum will be out there somewhere so Brown, Poole, Blaylock, and a couple of the new guys will battle it out for the remaining spot. From what I've witnessed any one of them will be a good fit defensively or with the bat but I would give the edge to Brown because he has plenty of experience and has come up with some big hits in pressure situations like the grand slam against Florida last year. Marrero has been a bazooka behind the plate this fall he will play a lot, Lovelady is steady back there and has been hot with the bat this fall and Skelton is very good offensively and defensively so I think he will factor in as well a lot!

I can't figure the pitching out though, It's good and not so good sometimes. Pilkington has been about as good as I've seen so he will be a Friday guy. Other starter types are James(if he quits giving up 1 big inning) Riley Self has been outstanding, everything he throws moves from what I could tell. Ford has had some good outings as has Cyr . The middle guys and closers have been good Barlow, Jolly, Ashcraft, Plumlee, McMquarry Price, and Mahoney have all had some really good stuff when I was there. People like Smith, Rigby and Billingsley are all nursing injuries I think so I have not seen them when I was there.

Of course this is just my observation and I sure don't claim to know anything but I have actually been in a seat watching.

msstate7
11-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Some of you need to actually go out to a practice or scrimmage so you can see what is playing out. From what I've seen at the last couple I was at, Bragg is the component that has everyone guessing. He looks the part for sure but is really struggling with the bat like he did this summer against above average pitching. They have actually put him at 1st base the majority of the time for the last week or so as well. If he can start making contact with the ball he may have found him a spot at 1st because he is better defensively than Gordon.(Gordon will be your DH in this situation) Since this move Alexander has been playing a pretty good bit at 3rd which is probably the best option there because Smith isn't quite ready defensively and Skelton is going to have to catch some. Gridley and Stovall will most likely be up the middle which will be fine(I looked up Stovall's fielding % for yall too and he made 1 error all season and had a .994 fielding %). Also don't forget Stovall had earned the everyday starter role last year at 2nd base until he got injured in the Alabama series. The outfield will be interesting too. Rooker has been really good defensively this fall of course Mangum will be out there somewhere so Brown, Poole, Blaylock, and a couple of the new guys will battle it out for the remaining spot. From what I've witnessed any one of them will be a good fit defensively or with the bat but I would give the edge to Brown because he has plenty of experience and has come up with some big hits in pressure situations like the grand slam against Florida last year. Marrero has been a bazooka behind the plate this fall he will play a lot, Lovelady is steady back there and has been hot with the bat this fall and Skelton is very good offensively and defensively so I think he will factor in as well a lot!

I can't figure the pitching out though, It's good and not so good sometimes. Pilkington has been about as good as I've seen so he will be a Friday guy. Other starter types are James(if he quits giving up 1 big inning) Riley Self has been outstanding, everything he throws moves from what I could tell. Ford has had some good outings as has Cyr . The middle guys and closers have been good Barlow, Jolly, Ashcraft, Plumlee, McMquarry Price, and Mahoney have all had some really good stuff when I was there. People like Smith, Rigby and Billingsley are all nursing injuries I think so I have not seen them when I was there.

Of course this is just my observation and I sure don't claim to know anything but I have actually been in a seat watching.

Thanks.

So you see Bragg (1b), stovall (2b), Gridley (SS), and Alexander (3b) as the infield? I think everyone knows I'm an Alexander guy, but that's at SS. Not sure I want him as a 3b though... unless he's really progressed offensively.

Granted I don't have the luxury of seeing these guys play everyday, but I think I'd like to see Gridley at 2b, stovall at 3b, and Alexander at SS. I assume since stovall plays catcher that he has the arm for 3b, but guessing. I know stovall didn't have great offensive numbers last season, but I think he has the most potential of the 3 as a hitter.

Oh and keep giving us updates please

Backwoodsdawg
11-16-2016, 12:35 PM
You know it's hard to say what will happen, I see the infield the way you put it in your post but who knows what they are thinking. There is one thing that is a 100% certainty though Stovall, Gridley and Alexander are 3 Elite infielders and need to play somewhere every inning of every game! The good thing about them too is they can be interchanged at any of the spots.

bulldogcountry1
11-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Gridley and Alexander have been on different teams for most, if not all, scrimmages. So, they both play SS. They both looked impressive this past weekend. We are in good shape with both of them on the field, no matter where they end up.

I think half of the roster has put in time at 3rd this fall.