PDA

View Full Version : A few miscellaneous thoughts on a slow day...

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Football Recruiting:

1. Something that is becoming a pattern this year has been our coaches going after JUCO guys that transferred to their junior college from a P5 school. DE Montez Sweat from Michigan State, S Johnathan Abram from Georgia, S Brian Cole was a top 100 recruit in the 2015 class and signed with from Michigan(officially visiting this weekend), CB Dante Wigley from Georgia Tech, and LB Adonis Thomas from Alabama.

2. Speaking of JUCO recruits, this class will end up with close to double digits JUCO guys when it's all said and done. We already have 5 committed in Sweat, Pope, Tyree Phillips, Champion and Autry. We have a real shot with a bunch of guys like WR Stephen Guidry, OL D'Marcus Hayes, DB Jaquarius Landrews, CB Keisean Nixon, LB Shane Schuback, LB Adonis Thomas, CB Dante Wigley, and S Brian Cole among others.

3. Unlike last year, we only have about 10-12 spots to fill and have about triple that number left on the board. Looks like we won't get caught with our head up our ass down the stretch this year.

4. As I said the day he committed to Ole Miss, be patient on Willie Gay. He will be a Dawg come signing day.

Football:

1. Let's find a positive from last weekend. Aeris Williams ran for 56 yards on 11 carries with 5.1 yards per carry. His 56 yards were good for the second most rush yards allowed to an individual by Alabama this year.

2. Donald Gray is emerging as a legitimate deep threat. He had 3 catches for 76 yards against Bama, and was close to a grabbing a few more. He has strong hands and plays much faster and bigger than he appears. I think he has NFL potential.

3. Something that hasn't been mentioned much this year is how badly we are missing Beni Brown at linebacker. His leadership and football IQ have been missed this year. Inexcusable that he left early, is he even on a scout team roster?

Basketball:

1. Big decision coming up in the next 24 hours regarding Ado's eligibility. We desperately need another serviceable body in the post, here's to hoping he is cleared. We need him if we want to make a push for a postseason appearance.

2. Lamar Peters, Eli Wright and Schnieder Herard all looked like Freshman on the court Friday Night. You can tell the talent is there, they just need more experience to get where they need to be. Our non-conference schedule plays well for this.

3. Tyson Carter will be in consideration for the 1st team All-SEC Freshman team this year. He looks like a 15 year old in the face, but played like a veteran on the court and continued to bury big shots all night. He also showed good court awareness in his passing and had two beautiful alley-oop assists to Q. Tyson and Q will be fun to watch play together this year.

Gomez09
11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Devious you may have already posted this but what are your thoughts about the game this weekend?

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Devious you may have already posted this but what are your thoughts about the game this weekend?

A lot of things are in our favor. Mullen seems to have Bert's number, which is bigger than just a statistic. It's senior night and a night game with a win or go home situation regarding bowl eligibility, if the players can't get motivated for that there is something wrong with them. I think Fitz and Aeris will run for atleast 250 yards combined on the ground and Fitz will also connect on some deep balls. Unfortunately all of that could happen and we could still lose if our defensive doesn't come up with some big stops and turnovers.

I think the game will come down to our defensive effort and the turnover battle. I really want to feel like we are going to win the game by atleast a touchdown. We have to come out strong early, if we get down 2 scores I think it will be too much to overcome. My prediction would be 38-31 State, but in reality it's a toss up.

WSOPdawg
11-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Nice write-up DD. I wonder what the implications will be 2 years down the line (2019-20) if we sign so many JC players. I guess we have to go the JC route to remain competitive due to losing out a few years ago on so many recruiting battles (with no Plan B or Plan C in place) thus yielding a small senior class this year. The JC route just kicks the can down the road but maybe we can improve slightly and minimize it's impact.

Political Hack
11-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Nice write-up DD. I wonder what the implications will be 2 years down the line (2019-20) if we sign so many JC players. I guess we have to go the JC route to remain competitive due to losing out a few years ago on so many recruiting battles (with no Plan B or Plan C in place) thus yielding a small senior class this year. The JC route just kicks the can down the road but maybe we can improve slightly and minimize it's impact.

Signing that many is a good sign that a few will RS. But we're also hurting for upper class men. The biggest issue to me is making sure they fit into the system culturally and are able to learn from guys that they may be a year or two ahead of in age, but behind in grasping the system. That's always a concern when you bring in this many jucos, but we need them.

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 01:11 PM

Some of the JUCO guys have 3 to play 3 and you will see others redshirt. The numbers will work themselves out as they always do. We should have loaded up on JUCO's last year, but it is what is. None of the JUCO guys we are after except for Tyree Phillips are stretches. If we are gonna sign 10 JUCO guys, the majority of them better be contributors. Can't afford to sign guys like Joq Johnson, Dylan Holley, Joey Trapp and Jeremy Chappelle that ride the bench for 2 years while taking up a scholarship.

Cooterpoot
11-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Going to be a lot of attrition on the team after the season.

NCDawg
11-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Some of the JUCO guys have 3 to play 3 and you will see others redshirt. The numbers will work themselves out as they always do. We should have loaded up on JUCO's last year, but it is what is. None of the JUCO guys we are after except for Tyree Phillips are stretches. If we are gonna sign 10 JUCO guys, the majority of them better be contributors. Can't afford to sign guys like Joq Johnson, Dylan Holley, Joey Trapp and Jeremy Chappelle that ride the bench for 2 years while taking up a scholarship.

Sherrill did great with JC players which resulted in our '98 SECW championship. He failed later with JC players when he brought in a group of Arizona Western players, none of whom played.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-15-2016, 01:31 PM
The reason I don't mind that many Juco's is because we're still going to sign around 20 HS kids. We're not mortgaging the future for the immediate help. Looking at the HS kids there's some potential studs in this class. Keytaon, Kylin, CJ, Willie, Suggs, Odom, etc.

HoopsDawg
11-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Here's my random thought, we owe it to the program and to Key Thompson to add 3 more HS olinemen to this class. 2018 kids could help Thompson too but this 2017 class is going to make up the line that will protect him when he's a junior and senior. Some are going to be busts so bring in 6 quality HS linemen and hope 3 pan out.

lamont
11-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Good stuff DD34

I think the jucos will be fine on numbers- as we severely lack underclassmen. We also need to cut some dead weight. Not to mention we have a few open Schollys still sitting out there

lamont
11-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Good stuff DD34

I think the jucos will be fine on numbers- as we severely lack upperclassmen. We also need to cut some dead weight. Not to mention we have a few open Schollys still sitting out there

Johnson85
11-15-2016, 03:16 PM
Good stuff DD34

I think the jucos will be fine on numbers- as we severely lack underclassmen. We also need to cut some dead weight. Not to mention we have a few open Schollys still sitting out there

Did you really just reply to one of your internet alter egos with another of your internet alter ego, and also add the numbers 34 to DD just to emphasize that you are replying to your own alter ego?

You are definitely a different cat. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Gutter Cobreh
11-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Did you really just reply to one of your internet alter egos with another of your internet alter ego, and also add the numbers 34 to DD just to emphasize that you are replying to your own alter ego?

Ha! I was wondering why he started his reply with a compliment to DD since you don't see many compliments coming from him***

War Machine Dawg
11-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Football Recruiting:

1. Something that is becoming a pattern this year has been our coaches going after JUCO guys that transferred to their junior college from a P5 school. DE Montez Sweat from Michigan State, S Johnathan Abram from Georgia, S Brian Cole was a top 100 recruit in the 2015 class and signed with from Michigan(officially visiting this weekend), CB Dante Wigley from Georgia Tech, and LB Adonis Thomas from Alabama.

2. Speaking of JUCO recruits, this class will end up with close to double digits JUCO guys when it's all said and done. We already have 5 committed in Sweat, Pope, Tyree Phillips, Champion and Autry. We have a real shot with a bunch of guys like WR Stephen Guidry, OL D'Marcus Hayes, DB Jaquarius Landrews, CB Keisean Nixon, LB Shane Schuback, LB Adonis Thomas, CB Dante Wigley, and S Brian Cole among others.

3. Unlike last year, we only have about 10-12 spots to fill and have about triple that number left on the board. Looks like we won't get caught with our head up our ass down the stretch this year.

4. As I said the day he committed to Ole Miss, be patient on Willie Gay. He will be a Dawg come signing day.

Football:

1. Let's find a positive from last weekend. Aeris Williams ran for 56 yards on 11 carries with 5.1 yards per carry. His 56 yards were good for the second most rush yards allowed to an individual by Alabama this year.

2. Donald Gray is emerging as a legitimate deep threat. He had 3 catches for 76 yards against Bama, and was close to a grabbing a few more. He has strong hands and plays much faster and bigger than he appears. I think he has NFL potential.

3. Something that hasn't been mentioned much this year is how badly we are missing Beni Brown at linebacker. His leadership and football IQ have been missed this year. Inexcusable that he left early, is he even on a scout team roster?

Basketball:

1. Big decision coming up in the next 24 hours regarding Ado's eligibility. We desperately need another serviceable body in the post, here's to hoping he is cleared. We need him if we want to make a push for a postseason appearance.

2. Lamar Peters, Eli Wright and Schnieder Herard all looked like Freshman on the court Friday Night. You can tell the talent is there, they just need more experience to get where they need to be. Our non-conference schedule plays well for this.

3. Tyson Carter will be in consideration for the 1st team All-SEC Freshman team this year. He looks like a 15 year old in the face, but played like a veteran on the court and continued to bury big shots all night. He also showed good court awareness in his passing and had two beautiful alley-oop assists to Q. Tyson and Q will be fun to watch play together this year.

What jumps out immediately is how few of these guys play OL. Until we fix that cluster17, nothing else matters. We can sign skill players and defense all day, but until we have some big uglies, 4-8 is about the best we can hope for.

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 03:59 PM

I am only but one of Coach34's seven horcruxes***

Really Clark?
11-15-2016, 04:05 PM
I am only but one of Coach34's seven horcruxes***

Oh it's more than seven. 7 to the 7th power more like it. Ha

HoopsDawg
11-15-2016, 04:14 PM
What jumps out immediately is how few of these guys play OL. Until we fix that cluster17, nothing else matters. We can sign skill players and defense all day, but until we have some big uglies, 4-8 is about the best we can hope for.

We are targeting 4 juco Olinemen with 2 committed. Gotta have some secondary help too!!! And need Guidry to replace Ross. Lots of needs.

TUSK
11-15-2016, 05:03 PM

Dude, your post made my head hurt.

https://youtu.be/Wfg1c8dyZYM

lamont
11-15-2016, 05:16 PM

Its our way of laughing at everyone that thinks DD and C34 are the same person

TUSK
11-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Does this mean TUSK can refer to TUSK as "TUSK"?****

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 05:47 PM
There have been some rumblings recently that Ole Miss decommit 4* JUCO DE Markell Winters might officially visit us this weekend, and that now looks to be official. Would be a big pull. Setting up to be a big recruiting weekend with 3* OG Jerry Drake Jr., former top 100 recruit JUCO safety Brian Cole, Miami commit 3* OLB Waynmon Steed, and 4* JUCO DE Markell Winters all visiting along with MSU commits Tyree Phillips and Keytaon Thompson.

Also, we offered a 4* JUCO OT from New York and a 4* JUCO DE from Texas today. Good to see us trying at least. The more lines you throw out, the better your odds of catching a fish become.

Barking 13
11-15-2016, 07:06 PM

Hell, I think about half of y'all are the same person.... MPS....

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2016, 07:09 PM
There have been some rumblings recently that Ole Miss decommit 4* JUCO DE Markell Winters might officially visit us this weekend, and that now looks to be official. Would be a big pull. Setting up to be a big recruiting weekend with 3* OG Jerry Drake Jr., former top 100 recruit JUCO safety Brian Cole, Miami commit 3* OLB Waynmon Steed, and 4* JUCO DE Markell Winters all visiting along with MSU commits Tyree Phillips and Keytaon Thompson.

Also, we offered a 4* JUCO OT from New York and a 4* JUCO DE from Texas today. Good to see us trying at least. The more lines you throw out, the better your odds of catching a fish become.

Steed is a 4-star

Barking 13
11-15-2016, 07:13 PM
Oh, by the way, I've been driving thru MS and AR today and heard some interesting stuff. On a pro-bear show, they have pretty much conceded WG.
Heard several callers on AR sports radio worried about the game this week... imagine that....

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Oh, by the way, I've been driving thru MS and AR today and heard some interesting stuff. On a pro-bear show, they have pretty much conceded WG.
Heard several callers on AR sports radio worried about the game this week... imagine that....

Willie was never going to Ole Miss. Willie was always gonna be a Dawg. When things don't feel right, like Brassel as a MSU commit and Leo Lewis as a Bama/OM commit, its because they aren't right.

NCDawg
11-16-2016, 01:44 AM

Should have been doing that a long time ago.

Johnson85
11-16-2016, 02:31 PM

I actually assumed DD was a joint account for some of the owners. Most posts I've noticed have your writing style, but some definitely don't. Who is the ED Enforcer? Think that's who they remind me of.