PDA

View Full Version : Fall Baseball

bulldogcountry1
11-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Went to watch the scrimmages on Saturday and Sunday. Can't say that I learned a whole lot, but there are a few bits:

- Cannizaro was mostly in observation mode and didn't really stand out.

- We will have a good defense.

- We look bigger and stronger overall.

- Bragg is a large person. He's been struggling to adjust at the plate so far, but I hope he can get it figured out. He played at 1st and 3rd and seems like a solid defender.

- The veterans are playing like you would expect and should be the backbone of this team.

- Didn't see Mangum or Marrero at all. I don't know what the deal is there.

- I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lovelady was the starting catcher. He's an excellent defender and is batting .433 this fall.

- I hope the staff stresses pitching defense again like Thomson did. There was an obvious drop-off last year.

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Magnum ran into Vince MacNamee during a scrimmage and they're holding him out. Not sure what exactly the injury is but he shouldn't miss any games this season.

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 01:29 PM
- I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lovelady was the starting catcher. He's an excellent defender and is batting .433 this fall.

I fully expect Lovelady to start with Marrero getting AB's at DH and getting the start at catcher every 4th game or so. If Lovelady can bat over .300 it would be huge for us because he is miles ahead of Marrero behind the plate.

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Not sure I would pick Marrero as the DH with some of the options we have.

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Not sure I would pick Marrero as the DH with some of the options we have.

I agree, but with his experience at the plate and switch hit abilities I think he will get a good amount of starts at DH, atleast early in the season. We had wayyy more proven bats last year and he still pulled a good amount of starts at DH as a freshman. He really was snake bitten all year last year, it seemed like all of his hard hits went straight to someone. The dude can swing the bat and will only be better this year.

HoopsDawg
11-15-2016, 01:45 PM
I fully expect Lovelady to start with Marrero getting AB's at DH and getting the start at catcher every 4th game or so. If Lovelady can bat over .300 it would be huge for us because he is miles ahead of Marrero behind the plate.

Umm, no.

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Some of that was because of injuries plus Cohen liked to give guys a chance in the pre SEC season as you know because it would drive a lot of posters nuts when the lineup wasn't the same everyday.

To me it looked like Marrero was trying to go opposite field a lot last year because of his swing path and when teams figured it out they would just pitch him away and he would normally fly out or ground out to shortstop regardless of how solid the contact was. He'll adjust as he gets older and more experienced.

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Umm, no.

Don't forget that he started at the beginning of last season before getting injured. Don't be surprised when Lovelady is our starting catcher. I can tell you one thing, he wouldn't be on the team this year if he wasn't expecting to play.

lamont
11-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Lovelady is a defensive stud

HoopsDawg
11-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Don't forget that he started at the beginning of last season before getting injured. Don't be surprised when Lovelady is our starting catcher. I can tell you one thing, he wouldn't be on the team this year if he wasn't expecting to play.

I'm referring to Marrero at DH.

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 02:14 PM
I'm referring to Marrero at DH.

We'll see. I guess it depends on how big Cannizaro is on match ups, I'm so used to Cohen that I can't get out of his mindset. Marrero is a better hitter than his numbers indicated last year. He likes to swing the bat and looks natural from both sides. Hopefully Cannizaro can iron out whatever kinks Marrero had going back to last year. I don't see him sitting on the bench all year.

Homedawg
11-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Marrero might not be here in the spring.

chisaintdog3
11-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Marrero might not be here in the spring.

Transferring?

Harrydawg
11-15-2016, 08:45 PM
I figured that Mangum also attended Rivers McGraw's funeral on Sunday afternoon in Madison. They graduated together at Prep....

Just FYI.....I know Gene Wood was in town for that as well. Sad deal

Steakonastick
11-15-2016, 10:08 PM
It might be better for us if marrero leaves.

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 10:13 PM
I figured that Mangum also attended Rivers McGraw's funeral on Sunday afternoon in Madison. They graduated together at Prep....

Just FYI.....I know Gene Wood was in town for that as well. Sad deal

True. I used to work with River's Mom. Heartbreaking.

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 10:14 PM
It might be better for us if marrero leaves.

I wouldn't go that far. We need as many good players as we can get.