PDA

View Full Version : If Sumlin is fired is our millionaire smart enough

Apoplectic
11-14-2016, 11:25 PM
To hire chavis?

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Chavis in his prime was crazy good. I'd want to find out though how motivated he'd be though. I wouldn't want a re-tread that's unmotivated & just trying to cash in a few more check before retiring.

civildawg
11-14-2016, 11:48 PM
I want O. I think lsu is going to get fisher and O is going to leave LSU. I would love to snatch him up. Pay him whatever it takes to be DC

Really Clark?
11-15-2016, 12:15 AM
Very average at A & M and has regressed this year. He may be about burned out and not sure he how he would do without elite talent.

Orgeron has never been a DC and at USC and LSU he didn't game plan. Wasn't named even co-DC with Kevin Steele last year. After all of these years nobody has ever seriously considered him as DC. Sirmon was at least being groomed and considered by many coaches as someone who will get the opportunity sooner rather than later.

Coach007
11-15-2016, 12:39 AM
I would rather have Joe Lee back

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 12:41 AM
I would love to have Chavis. If this was 2003. I think he is past his prime now though, so I would say no.

Doesn’t really matter who our DC is it’s going to be the same philosophy no matter what the actual scheme is. Soft coverage, only rush four a majority of the time, bend but don’t break, etc.

DeviousDawg
11-15-2016, 01:14 AM
You're kidding me if you actually want to change defensive coordinators AGAIN during the off season. We are not only talkng about changing defensive coordinators again, but also saying we want a guy that gave up almost 400 yards against MSU this year in the FIRST HALF, and that's with 4 and 5 stars all over the field.

We have a chance to retain our whole defensive staff this year. They will have a whole off season to continue implementing our new 3-4 look on defense while bringing in guy's like Montez Sweat, Lee Autry, James Jackson, Deandre Johnson and Aaron Odom that fit the scheme perfectly.

Mullen knew this would be a rebuilding year and brought in a young guy in Peter Sirmon that runs the defensive scheme that Mullen prefers, the 3-4. Knowing that the offense would have a rebuilding year, it was a good opportunity for the defense to do the same. Next year is setting up to be a year where we have a chance at reaching 10 wins. Our offense will be potent and our defense will have a year of learning the 3-4 under their belt, as will Sirmon have a year of being a DC. Our defense will be much improved next year, especially if we can sign some immediate impact JUCO corner backs, which imo should be our biggest priority in the 2017 recruiting class.

Hiring a new DC would be another step back, let's roll with the guys we have and see what happens next year.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2016, 07:43 AM
Really Devious? You know we don't rebuild at MSU - we reload!!!***

I'm in full agreement about Sirmon. He gets another year. Our D has been terrible against the pass and average against the run. He's playing the hand he was dealt in the secondary.

msbulldog
11-15-2016, 07:53 AM
Chavis is suing his former employer.
We don' need an employee that has litigation on his mind. I wouldn't hire one in the private sector, your just inviting trouble.

PMDawg
11-15-2016, 08:32 AM
How have you all not learned? It's not the DC - we've had some good ones (like Collins, for instance). The defensive philosophy is the problem, and it's Dan's philosophy. Until he's ready to let the DC's do whatever they want, it doesn't matter.

thf24
11-15-2016, 08:53 AM
How have you all not learned? It's not the DC - we've had some good ones (like Collins, for instance). The defensive philosophy is the problem, and it's Dan's philosophy. Until he's ready to let the DC's do whatever they want, it doesn't matter.

The philosophy might be the same but the scheme changes between DC's, especially this year. Just because we play bend-don't-break and soft coverage every year doesn't mean the players haven't had to learn a new playbook, signals, ect. Even if we continue sticking to the same philosophy (Mullen has shown some signs that he's warming up to being more flexible and hands-off this year), it doesn't mean we won't see improvement from not having to re-learn another set of textbook stuff for once.

MrKotter
11-15-2016, 09:06 AM
To hire chavis?
Hope he's smart enough to not hire Chavis.

Liverpooldawg
11-15-2016, 09:17 AM
You're kidding me if you actually want to change defensive coordinators AGAIN during the off season. We are not only talkng about changing defensive coordinators again, but also saying we want a guy that gave up almost 400 yards against MSU this year in the FIRST HALF, and that's with 4 and 5 stars all over the field.

We have a chance to retain our whole defensive staff this year. They will have a whole off season to continue implementing our new 3-4 look on defense while bringing in guy's like Montez Sweat, Lee Autry, James Jackson, Deandre Johnson and Aaron Odom that fit the scheme perfectly.

Mullen knew this would be a rebuilding year and brought in a young guy in Peter Sirmon that runs the defensive scheme that Mullen prefers, the 3-4. Knowing that the offense would have a rebuilding year, it was a good opportunity for the defense to do the same. Next year is setting up to be a year where we have a chance at reaching 10 wins. Our offense will be potent and our defense will have a year of learning the 3-4 under their belt, as will Sirmon have a year of being a DC. Our defense will be much improved next year, especially if we can sign some immediate impact JUCO corner backs, which imo should be our biggest priority in the 2017 recruiting class.

Hiring a new DC would be another step back, let's roll with the guys we have and see what happens next year.

THIS

Cooterpoot
11-15-2016, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't touch Chavis, but Sirmon is garbage. When players are out talking about how they can't get the signals in and how nobody knows their responsibility 2/3 of the time, we better go find a DC that can at least get the guys lined up right. We've gotten a full season under our belts and the defense is still lost.

civildawg
11-15-2016, 09:54 AM
That's the reason I think you have to fire him. We have not shown any improvement at all throughout the year really.

Jack Lambert
11-15-2016, 09:59 AM

I agree. We have to give him time to install new system. 3-4 is one of the hardest.

smootness
11-15-2016, 10:05 AM
I love that 'millionaire' is used as some type of insult now...as though we should be paying our head coach less than a million...or we should have his salary fluctuate based on the results of each season.

Political Hack
11-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Our defense sucks but most of the talent is coming back. I'd be ok giving sir on one more year to see what he can do, but we do need some staff changes. That starts on the offensive side up front and on the recruiting trail.

West Houston Dog
11-15-2016, 10:06 AM
[

Thick
11-15-2016, 10:47 AM

I agree with Devious. The only way you change coordinators is if you bring in a DC that also runs a 3-4, that's it. I think there's a reason it's a pro style defense, you have to have really talented defenders to run it primarily your front 7. It all depends on personnel and level of talent.

IMissJack
11-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Have you seen Chavis' defense against SEC running games lately? I don't think Sirmon is the answer, but we're not getting anyone great without better compensation.

HoopsDawg
11-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Have you seen Chavis' defense against SEC running games lately? I don't think Sirmon is the answer, but we're not getting anyone great without better compensation.

Keys to a successful D at MSU: keep it simple, play downhill, recruit and play the best players.

The 3-4 has to be so watered down it loses its effectiveness.

sleepy dawg
11-15-2016, 11:46 AM

I would like to nominate DeviousDawg for new poster of the year. This guy brings fire with every post.

dawgday166
11-15-2016, 11:51 AM
This is a growing year. If folks don't want to fire Dan then they should allow his D coordinator and staff to become more acclimated to the situation. Plus, let's see if Dan starts delegating the D coordinator's responsibilities to, you know, the D coordinator. The TAM game Sirmon did ok when that happened. Bama isn't a good barometer. I say let's give Sirmon and his staff a little time.

ETA: Some folks seem to want to give Dan a lifetime contract and yet want to yank Fitz the minute he throws an interception or fire Sirmon the minute his D gives up a touchdown. Neither one of those guys is responsible for the total lack of effort and "straining" at times. That is on the head man IMO.

CadaverDawg
11-15-2016, 11:55 AM
I'd take Chavis over Sirmon all day every day. Chavis is proven and we have a d-line and LB core that fits his style. Much like Ole Miss, it is very tough to have a stout defense year in and year out on a team that runs a high paced offense and lengthens every game. Not making excuses for Chavis, just saying that his LSU tenure should outweigh his A&M tenure in terms of whether he can get the job done.

Not sure why I'm talking about this. He will never be the DC at MSU so it's a moot point.

RiverCityDawg
11-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Keys to a successful D at MSU: keep it simple, play downhill, recruit and play the best players.

The 3-4 has to be so watered down it loses its effectiveness.

I agree with this. With that said though, we're not watering it down and/or not coaching up the players well. Or they just don't have the football IQ to understand what they are being asked to do. Sure there are times where we just get beat by better athletes, but there are way too many plays where we are completely clueless in pass coverage. Linebackers (Sirmons group) and the secondary literally look like they have no idea what to expect after the ball is snapped. This doesn't even get into the clear motivation/leadership/accountability problem we have, which starts with the coaches.

dawgday166
11-15-2016, 12:04 PM
I'd take Chavis over Sirmon all day every day. Chavis is proven and we have a d-line and LB core that fits his style. Much like Ole Miss, it is very tough to have a stout defense year in and year out on a team that runs a high paced offense and lengthens every game. Not making excuses for Chavis, just saying that his LSU tenure should outweigh his A&M tenure in terms of whether he can get the job done.

Not sure why I'm talking about this. He will never be the DC at MSU so it's a moot point.

I would have agreed with this 3 weeks ago. Now ... not sure how he let our team slice and dice up his D. And then let OM do it too. Plus I hate his prevent D philosophy at the end of close games when having the lead.

ETA: Although this could be a Sumlin issue since it happens every year with TAM.

yjnkdawg
11-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Great Post...Agree 100%

yjnkdawg
11-15-2016, 12:38 PM
Wow ! That idea about the "millionaire" hiring Chavis fizzled out pretty quick. Even if we wanted to hire Chavis,as you perceive him to be a top DC, do you actually think he would consider going to a school that fires their DC after his first year, where the school has a completely new defensive staff, a new scheme, players having to adopt to new faces (Coaches) and philosophies, techniques and schemes?

Joe Schmedlap
11-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Our defense is an abomination. It's beyond "turrible". Sirmon has been a failure. Is that his fault though or is it Mullen's?

Political Hack
11-15-2016, 01:03 PM
Our defense is an abomination. It's beyond "turrible". Sirmon has been a failure. Is that his fault though or is it Mullen's?

Hard to say, but the lack of continuity is a freaking death sentence. You can't do that over and over and over. Imagine hiring a head coach and firing him after one season as the team adjust to his scheme. It's the same hear. I wouldn't be upset if he stays or goes to be honest, but I understand the argument for keeping him.

yjnkdawg
11-15-2016, 02:09 PM

How many times has Mullen said that he stayed out of Sirmon's hair, and let him coach? Once I believe, and that was the TAMU game.

Johnson85
11-15-2016, 02:26 PM
I agree with Devious. The only way you change coordinators is if you bring in a DC that also runs a 3-4, that's it. I think there's a reason it's a pro style defense, you have to have really talented defenders to run it primarily your front 7. It all depends on personnel and level of talent.

Which raises the question of why the hell we are running it at MSU.

I really don't think you can fire Sirmon after one year when we have had talent issues combined with changing schemes, but I don't like the idea of trying to run a 3-4 going forward. Could really hurt Dan long term if we give Sirmon another year to work out, it doesn't, and we have to change back toa 4-3 coordinator.

TrapGame
11-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Sirmon needs time to get the scheme going with his recruits. If he's here three years from now we'll see a pretty damn good defense.

HoopsDawg
11-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Sirmon needs time to get the scheme going with his recruits. If he's here three years from now we'll see a pretty damn good defense.

I don't think it will ever work. This isn't the NFL and there's not enough practice time.

RougeDawg
11-15-2016, 03:40 PM
How many times has Mullen said that he stayed out of Sirmon's hair, and let him coach? Once I believe, and that was the TAMU game.

Can't believe it took this long for someone to mention the one common denominator and problem with our defenses since dan has been here.... Dan "I invented football" Mullen. Is it really that much of a mystery why our defenses all look the same under Dan and why we've had such a high turnover on the defensive side. Come on people. Stop trying to look for something that isn't there and focus on the facts, common denominator, and results.

HoopsDawg
11-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Can't believe it took this long for someone to mention the one common denominator and problem with our defenses since dan has been here.... Dan "I invented football" Mullen. Is it really that much of a mystery why our defenses all look the same under Dan and why we've had such a high turnover on the defensive side. Come on people. Stop trying to look for something that isn't there and focus on the facts, common denominator, and results.

A lot of people say this and it's just not true. I think our defense looks a lot different than last year.

IMissJack
11-15-2016, 04:14 PM
We are a total 180 type team from when Croom was here this year (Some Good/Some Bad). Croom/McCorvey=No Offense Croom/Johnson=Good Defense Mullen=Good Offense (usually), Mullen/Sirmon=weak D.

yjnkdawg
11-15-2016, 04:52 PM
A lot of people say this and it's just not true. I think our defense looks a lot different than last year.

I'm pretty sure that Mullen said something like this after the TAMU game. He had been actively involved in the defense, but he let Sirmon actually coach the TAMU game. Sirmon asked his advice in certain situations, and Mullen told him he was doing a good job and no use for him (Mullen) to change anything. The only game I can remember this year that we had an attacking type aggressive defense was the TAMU game. I can't remember hardly any games, if any, like that from last year. Maybe I'm missing something?

HancockCountyDog
11-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Our defense sucks but most of the talent is coming back. I'd be ok giving sir on one more year to see what he can do, but we do need some staff changes. That starts on the offensive side up front and on the recruiting trail.

I agree that we should hang on to Sirmon, disagree about all our talent coming back.

We lose the following guys that start or play significant reps:

Jiles
Coman
Richie
Ward
James
Calvin
AJ
Dale
Adams

That's a lot of beef up front. We will be counting on jucos and guys to make a big leap from their roles this year.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it's a major concern. We all expected, myself included for Gerri Green to make a leap this year, and for all intents and purposes he has been a non factor this year. Our most disruptive players on the DL are seniors (Calvin and AJ) and those two guys have accounted for almost half our sacks and almost a 1/3 of our tackles for loss.

I'm extremely worried about our defense next year.

Dawg61
11-15-2016, 05:37 PM
I love that 'millionaire' is used as some type of insult now...as though we should be paying our head coach less than a million...or we should have his salary fluctuate based on the results of each season.

Consider the source here. Same one that was using this term all throughout the game thread were about 10 posters were calling him a Rebel Troll. Enforcer? You at the Country Club or still celebrating your Cubbies win?