PDA

View Full Version : Dawgs in Boston

EdDawg
11-14-2016, 12:07 PM
For the ones that went to the UMass game or live in the area, what areas are decent to stay and easy to get to the downtown area?

I have a conference in downtown Boston in the spring and am looking for hotels that have easy access to the downtown area (the conference is at the convention center a couple of blocks from Fenway.) I am also an educator so price is definitely a concern. I am interested in staying on the outskirts if there is a quick and easy way to get to my conference everyday.

Thanks in advance for any information and advice.

Bully13
11-14-2016, 12:14 PM
I think beard lives up there

BeardoMSU
11-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Definitely stay in the outskirts of town if you want a cheaper hotel. If you feel like splurging, find a place in Cambridge (centrally located, and awesome food scene, with lots of history).

As long as you're a quick walking distance from the T (what they call the subway), getting around Boston is really quite easy, so it doesn't really matter where your hotel is. You can buy a daily T pass for I think about $12, and you can use it as many times as you want that day, so you can explore the city as much as you want.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
11-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Traveling to Boston for a conference this week, staying at the Sheraton which seems to be part of a mall? I think we are visiting Cambridge for a day, so I'd gladly take some recs. Hopefully Dan can get it done vs Arky w/o my bell/yell combo, but the last time I left it up to him at DWS we lost to So. Alabama so who knows.

missouridawg
11-14-2016, 02:50 PM
The theater area was nice. We stayed at the Marriott on Tremont. It's like a $8 UBER to the Fenway park area. You could also get familiar with the subway which drops off pretty close to both locations.

Martianlander
11-14-2016, 04:05 PM
Boston is a fairly expensive city, but very interesting. We got a package deal on airfare and the Marriott Courtyard-Copley Square. This Marriott is fairly expensive by itself but not too bad with the package. I'll have to defer to Beardo on the best values though. This one is close to downtown, and if you do stay there, a grocery store is across the street, although you almost have to know it is there-not much of a sign. It's huge with a lot of deli meals and cheaper prices on snacks than you get at the commissary in the hotel. A couple of tours pick up there also, and the Duck Tour stand is across the street.

RocketDawg
11-14-2016, 04:20 PM
Boston is a fairly expensive city, but very interesting. We got a package deal on airfare and the Marriott Courtyard-Copley Square. This Marriott is fairly expensive by itself but not too bad with the package. I'll have to defer to Beardo on the best values though. This one is close to downtown, and if you do stay there, a grocery store is across the street, although you almost have to know it is there-not much of a sign. It's huge with a lot of deli meals and cheaper prices on snacks than you get at the commissary in the hotel. A couple of tours pick up there also, and the Duck Tour stand is across the street.

I was going to recommend Copley Square too. I seem to remember it was a regular Marriott when I stayed there in 2001. There's also another hotel at Copley ... Renaissance, I think. That's the only place I've stayed in Boston itself ... other times have been out at Natick, but that's too far out if you want to see the city.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-15-2016, 12:41 AM
I recommend stay on Newbury Street. Walk out the door and you've got a ton of local restaurants, bars and shops right there. We stayed at the Newbury Guesthouse (old row house converted into a small hotel). Nice room but nothing fancy...you're not going to be in your room too much anyway. 20 minute walk to Fenway. If you can't get tickets walk over anyway have a couple of pints at a local bar and then about the 6th/7th inning walk on over to the park. More than likely the gates will be open and if you tell them your from out of town and couldn't get tickets but just wanted to walk in and look around they'll probably let you. Go to the North End one day for lunch or early dinner (Italian section of town).....it's like you've stepping back in time (laundry hanging over the streets, kids playing stick ball - cool area with great food).