lamont
11-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Vs Saban has now totaled a robust 63 points in 8 games. 7.9 PPG

msstate7
11-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Since '11, lsu has scored 69 points in 7 games vs bama. 9.9 ppg

starkvegasdawg
11-14-2016, 08:40 AM
Not that it would have made the first bit of difference but I know in Saturday's game we left at least 17 points on the table we should have had if not for a missed FG and a couple of drops. I admit we had zero shot in that game, but the final score should have looked a little better if you can call 51-20 a little better. It just looks like all of our coaches and players go into that game pissing in their pants scared to death every year. We're beat mentally as soon as we step off the bus.

Thick
11-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Absolutely no excuse for LSU, but LSU only gave up 10 points this year.

msstate7
11-14-2016, 08:45 AM
Since dan got to state, bama has given up 12.7 ppg... as in to everyone!

Thick
11-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Not that it would have made the first bit of difference but I know in Saturday's game we left at least 17 points on the table we should have had if not for a missed FG and a couple of drops. I admit we had zero shot in that game, but the final score should have looked a little better if you can call 51-20 a little better. It just looks like all of our coaches and players go into that game pissing in their pants scared to death every year. We're beat mentally as soon as we step off the bus.

That's exactly what I was saying in an earlier thread. Under Dan, the approach to Bama is simply "we expect to lose", and apparently that's fine with everybody. Against Bama, we play scared, and coach scared. If we are going to lose, let's go down fighting...trick plays, blitzing, onside kicks, fake punts, etc.

Thick
11-14-2016, 08:55 AM

Well, OM did not get the memo. OM has no running game, but they have approached Bama with the attitude that they CAN win.

RC3
11-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Well, OM did not get the memo. OM has no running game, but they have approached Bama with the attitude that they CAN win.

They have also approached that game with elite receivers. We have none

BrunswickDawg
11-14-2016, 08:58 AM

That's why as long as Saban is at Bama, I refuse to use them as a measuring stick for where our program is. Hell, I'll so far as to say that based on our history against Bama I'll never use them as a measuring stick. It's futile. In 97 games against them, we have averaged 9.7 ppg. They have outscored us 2268-994.
16-78-3 record against them. They have been in our heads since football was invented.

civildawg
11-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Offensive genius!1!1!

thf24
11-14-2016, 09:21 AM
OM gets Bama early in the season while they're still working out the kinks, we get them near the end at their peak. Not a fair comparison. I'd be interested to see a plot of Bama's points allowed each week of each season under Saban... may do that later if I get a free minute.

Liverpooldawg
11-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Random is basically saying unless we are in the Top 5 every year we need to get rid of Mullen. I wonder if his high school season is over will he resign this year?

HoopsDawg
11-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Random is basically saying unless we are in the Top 5 every year we need to get rid of Mullen. I wonder if his high school season is over will he resign this year?

All he did was post a fact. A very sad fact. I hate that other people are fine with it. We can do better than what we saw Saturday and what we've seen all year.

AROB44
11-14-2016, 10:17 AM
That's why as long as Saban is at Bama, I refuse to use them as a measuring stick for where our program is. Hell, I'll so far as to say that based on our history against Bama I'll never use them as a measuring stick. It's futile. In 97 games against them, we have averaged 9.7 ppg. They have outscored us 2268-994.
16-78-3 record against them. They have been in our heads since football was invented.

Thank you for this. Apparently there are some that think Dan is the only one that can't do well against Bama. Plus...I do find it somewhat amusing that the OM wins are constantly thrown out there but in the next sentence....OM is going to get hammered for cheating.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Definitely Pee Pee Pants City and Saban is swinging Lucille.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2016, 10:19 AM
They have also approached that game with elite receivers. We have none

Fred Ross is pretty good when he actually catches the ball.

msstate7
11-14-2016, 10:21 AM
All he did was post a fact. A very sad fact. I hate that other people are fine with it. We can do better than what we saw Saturday and what we've seen all year.

It's a sad fact. Would it be better if we if we avg'd 9.9 ppg like lsu their last 7 games vs bama or 12.7 ppg like bama's avg since dan got here? I'd love to beat bama, but it's just not something that should be a barometer at miss state imo. Saban is 96-10 with 5 sec championships and 4 national titles since Mullen got here.

BB30
11-14-2016, 10:22 AM

We can certainly do better than what we have seen in some of the games this year. That being said Alabama is in a different universe it is pretty dumb to freak out over a team that has shut down everybody they have played.

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2016, 10:26 AM
It's a sad fact. Would it be better if we if we avg'd 9.9 ppg like lsu their last 7 games vs bama or 12.7 ppg like bama's avg since dan got here? I'd love to beat bama, but it's just not something that should be a barometer at miss state imo. Saban is 96-10 with 5 sec championships and 4 national titles since Mullen got here.

Bama is on an entirely different level but it looks like the first time we get hit in the mouth we quit against Bama. Dan seems to play not to lose more than he risks and against Bama that is an absolute losing strategy. I don't think there is a coach that could have won with our players on Saturday but not many could have done worse. That is coming from someone who wants Mullen back next year.

Bass Chaser
We scored 1/3rd of those points in 2014.

the59dawg

Is anyone more constantly anti-Mullen than random?

lamont
11-14-2016, 10:31 AM

So we are comparing Mullen to the guy that got fired because of his archaic offense??? You aren't helping your cause with that reply

HoopsDawg
11-14-2016, 10:32 AM

Man, I hate when posters just make up straw man arguments like saying that beating Bama shouldn't be the barometer at MSU. No one is saying that.

I think we should expect a little more competiveness than what we saw Saturday. That was pathetic.

lamont
11-14-2016, 10:33 AM

Random is in no way, shape, or form saying that. I have said repeatedly that Mullen won't and shouldn't be fired

smootness
11-14-2016, 10:35 AM
He's a troll. The sooner everyone realizes this, the better off we'll be.

msstate7
11-14-2016, 10:39 AM
So we are comparing Mullen to the guy that got fired because of his archaic offense??? You aren't helping your cause with that reply

Lsu '13 had the best collection of offensive talent this conference has seen maybe ever and they scored 17.

HoopsDawg
11-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Lsu '13 had the best collection of offensive talent this conference has seen maybe ever and they scored 17.

Ole Miss put 43 on them THIS year.

DownwardDawg
11-14-2016, 10:44 AM

Yeah, I don't let the Bama game influence my thoughts on our program one bit. That would be insane. Now, the other 11 games are a different story. There is plenty to gripe about, and losing to Bam in 2014 is one of those, but even paying attention to that game right now is useless.

msstate7
11-14-2016, 10:47 AM

You forgot to put an asterisk on it. If we were holding 8 level 1 infractions and another letter on the way, we probably would've fared better vs bama, no?

Maroons
11-14-2016, 10:48 AM
I think we should expect a little more competiveness than what we saw Saturday. That was pathetic.

This is it.

I actually thought the offensive gameplan was very good on Sat. But the defensive effort and intensity was some of the worst we've had in the last decade. Guys playing soft, not running to the ball, giving up on plays, etc.

dawg1
11-14-2016, 10:49 AM
Alabama's defense has given up 6 TDs this season.

HoopsDawg
11-14-2016, 10:52 AM
This is it.

I actually thought the offensive gameplan was very good on Sat. But the defensive effort and intensity was some of the worst we've had in the last decade. Guys playing soft, not running to the ball, giving up on plays, etc.

I hate all the turnover we have had with our defensive staff under Mullen, but he's going to have to clean house again.

FISHDAWG
11-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Random is in no way, shape, or form saying that. I have said repeatedly that Mullen won't and shouldn't be fired

yet you come on here and DECLARE the owners of this board no longer support him .... the support from the majority of the fan base is overwhelming in support of him

TaleofTwoDogs
11-14-2016, 11:00 AM
I think we all can agree that beating Bama under Saban is a long shot, but there is a shot (see OM). The thing that drives me nuts is the lack of physicality and aggression necessary to help compensate for difference in talent. Even Bear Bryant conceded that every time they played Miss State his guys would have to spent time in the whirlpool to work out the bruises. Not to beat a dead horse, but it all starts on the line. You can't have O linemen continually being stood up and driven backwards right into the QB like we saw in Saturday's game. On the defensive side, the DL didn't have the depth to play 4 quarters with Bama. Recruiting on the lines has got to be an imperative if this program is to move forward and be competitive in the SEC West.

msstate7
11-14-2016, 11:04 AM
I think we all can agree that beating Bama under Saban is a long shot, but there is a shot (see OM). The thing that drives me nuts is this the lack of physicality and the aggression necessary to compensate for difference in talent. Even Bear Bryant conceded that every time they played Miss State his guys would have to spent time in the whirlpool to work out the bruises. Not to beat a dead horse, but it all starts on the line. You can't have O linemen continually being stood up and driven backwards right into the QB like we saw in Saturday's game. On the defensive side, the DL didn't have the depth to play 4 quarters with Bama. Recruiting on the lines has got to be an imperative if this program is to move forward and be competitive in the SEC West.

Wasn't this board calling for Mullen to start gameplanning for om before the aTm game and asking should we rest starters vs bama for the Arkansas and om games? There was a surrender before the game starts atmosphere here before the game started and when we get smoked some of the same ones (not you) are mad at the lack of competitiveness

lamont
11-14-2016, 11:05 AM
yet you come on here and DECLARE the owners of this board no longer support him .... the support from the majority of the fan base is overwhelming in support of him

Yep. And we won't until he makes some changes. There is a lot going on- not just posts on a message board

BrunswickDawg
11-14-2016, 11:06 AM
Alabama's defense has given up 6 TDs this season.

That's wrong - they have given up 12. 9 passing and 3 rushing. 3 passing and 1 rushing in OM game and 3 passing and 1 rushing in Ark game. Other than those 2 games, they have given up a whopping 3 passing and 1 rushing TD in 8 games.

lamont
11-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Wasn't this board calling for Mullen to start gameplanning for om before the aTm game and asking should we rest starters vs bama for the Arkansas and om games? There was a surrender before the game starts atmosphere here before the game started and when we get smoked some of the same ones (not you) are mad at the lack of competitiveness

I and others said we should spend 5-10 minutes a practice on OM. Considering the team practices 2 hours- you realize that is a very small percentage of time? Nobody said completely ignore the other teams on our schedule.

Do you always get what people say wrong or just me?

shoeless joe
11-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Yep. And we won't until he makes some changes. There is a lot going on- not just posts on a message board

To this point...if Mullen is here next year, which I'm slowly leaning in the direction of this being best, will actual changes be made? Offensive coaching changes? Defensive mindset changes? Preparation changes?

What type of changes are we looking at?

lamont
11-14-2016, 11:20 AM
To this point...if Mullen is here next year, which I'm slowly leaning in the direction of this being best, will actual changes be made? Offensive coaching changes? Defensive mindset changes? Preparation changes?

What type of changes are we looking at?

Got to be some coaching changes. Staff status quo is not working

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 11:24 AM
I and others said we should spend 5-10 minutes a practice on OM. Considering the team practices 2 hours- you realize that is a very small percentage of time? Nobody said completely ignore the other teams on our schedule.

Stop being a dickhead and just say what the **** it is you want to accomplish from your anti-Mullen stance. You want him fired? You want Hevesy fired? You want to get sideline passes every weekend and get the cheerleaders to touch your balls? You want MSU to hire you to be an assistant coach? When did your drink turn sour with Mullen and what is it that you want??

Really Clark?
11-14-2016, 12:04 PM

He didn't get anything wrong with that post. He didn't specify you either. He said board and that's was exactly what several were posting.

Liverpooldawg
11-14-2016, 12:05 PM

Yet you continue to stir it up.

AROB44
11-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Stop being a dickhead and just say what the **** it is you want to accomplish from your anti-Mullen stance. You want him fired? You want Hevesy fired? You want to get sideline passes every weekend and get the cheerleaders to touch your balls? You want MSU to hire you to be an assistant coach? When did your drink turn sour with Mullen and what is it that you want??

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dawg61 again.

BB30
11-14-2016, 12:36 PM
He may or may not want Mullen fired. What he definitely wants is clicks, replies, posts, and traffic to the site and what better way than taking an opposing stance on everything.

smootness
11-14-2016, 01:13 PM
He may or may not want Mullen fired. What he definitely wants is clicks, replies, posts, and traffic to the site and what better way than taking an opposing stance on everything.

Yup

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 01:21 PM

So your attempt to take up for Mullen is comparing him to probably the worst offensive team in the SEC besides Vandy. Yeah that says a lot. #DanTheMan

MarketingBully
11-14-2016, 01:32 PM

If the officials had called some holds early on Bama and we had capitalized on the situations you mentioned above, I think the score could have been something like 38-20 which is still a loss but a much closer loss. It was funny because on a film study that Jake Wimberly showed on Twitter regarding Alabama's blocking prowess it showed four holds and a block in the back. I'm sorry but if you're #1 in the country you shouldn't have to hold 99% of the time to create holes. Their OL is way overrated for what they do. It's not one of their better OLs.

PMDawg
11-14-2016, 01:38 PM
That's exactly what I was saying in an earlier thread. Under Dan, the approach to Bama is simply "we expect to lose", and apparently that's fine with everybody. Against Bama, we play scared, and coach scared. If we are going to lose, let's go down fighting...trick plays, blitzing, onside kicks, fake punts, etc.

Yeah, but if we did that, we might lose by 48 points or more!!!! Oh.....wait.....

I agree it was the best approach in '14. Because a close loss didn't kill us. Every other year though....throw it 40 yards down the field every play and see what happens.

Really Clark?
11-14-2016, 01:50 PM
So your attempt to take up for Mullen is comparing him to probably the worst offensive team in the SEC besides Vandy. Yeah that says a lot. #DanTheMan

Since 2011 LSU has averaged ranking 7th in the league in scoring offense against conference only opponents. In 2011 they were one of the best offenses in the conference and was held to 9 points in 2 games.

thf24
11-14-2016, 01:51 PM

Do you think they'd put 43 on them if they had to play them week 9 like LSU or week 10 like us? Do you think they'd have even sniffed winning this or the past two seasons? Not an excuse for our godawful defense Saturday, but as far as scoring points, it's undeniably a huge disadvantage to have to play that defense late in the season when it's at or close to its peak compared to teams that get to play them early in the year.

MadDawg
11-14-2016, 01:55 PM

This is really what it's all about.

lamont
11-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Since 2011 LSU has averaged ranking 7th in the league in scoring offense against conference only opponents. In 2011 they were one of the best offenses in the conference and was held to 9 points in 2 games.

Why are we just mentioning LSU?

Bielema has put 57 points on them the last 3 years alone
Gus Bus has put 85 on them in the last 3 years
Tenn has put 44 on them the last 3 years
OM has lit them up

Other schools do indeed find ways to score on them

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 02:15 PM

We should have been better offensively than a guy who coached offense like Bo Schembechler

HancockCountyDog
11-14-2016, 02:17 PM
If we win the next two, there will be no staff changes and Mullen won't be under any pressure to make them. Same thing happened in 2013.

Really Clark?
11-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Why are we just mentioning LSU?

Bielema has put 57 points on them the last 3 years alone
Gus Bus has put 85 on them in the last 3 years
Tenn has put 44 on them the last 3 years
OM has lit them up

Other schools do indeed find ways to score on them

I only was responded to his idea that LSU offense was only better than Vandy since 2011. Not close to true. Didn't mention or get into anything else. Read what I wrote and what I responded to.

Really Clark?
11-14-2016, 02:24 PM
We should have been better offensively than a guy who coached offense like Bo Schembechler

I don't disagree necessarily but since 2011 they have not been as inept as perceived. Definitely not only better than Vandy

AROB44
11-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by BB30:

Yup

Needs to supplement that asst coach's salary at the academy school.

I seen it dawg
11-14-2016, 03:13 PM

Posted a fact. Spin to your agenda all you want.

I seen it dawg
11-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Is anyone more constantly anti-Mullen than random?

I do my best.

TUSK
11-14-2016, 03:29 PM
If the officials had called some holds early on Bama and we had capitalized on the situations you mentioned above, I think the score could have been something like 38-20 which is still a loss but a much closer loss. It was funny because on a film study that Jake Wimberly showed on Twitter regarding Alabama's blocking prowess it showed four holds and a block in the back. I'm sorry but if you're #1 in the country you shouldn't have to hold 99% of the time to create holes. Their OL is way overrated for what they do. It's not one of their better OLs.

REC doin' werk.

MarketingBully
11-14-2016, 05:21 PM
REC doin' werk.

Sure, but if you looked at that video you would have seen the four holds and the block in the back. It's very odd the #1 team in the country needs to hold so much as well. In fact, wouldn't surprise me if Cristobal just tells them to hold until it's called. It never was called so they just kept right on holding.

thf24
11-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Can't find solid info on more recent seasons, but weren't you guys called for something like only two or three holds in the 2009 and 2010 seasons combined? 42 quarters without a holding penalty? Ref conspiracies get thrown around too much, but no one's that good.

msstate7
11-14-2016, 05:57 PM
Can't find solid info on more recent seasons, but weren't you guys called for something like only two or three holds in the 2009 and 2010 seasons combined? 42 quarters without a holding penalty? Ref conspiracies get thrown around too much, but no one's that good.

Watch Boise st in the MWC. They get away with everything, much like bama. Once lead is insurmountable, then flag them to make it look even. I'm not much on conspiracy theories, but I do believe conferences protect their favorites... makes sense financially

yjnkdawg
11-14-2016, 06:07 PM

Money sure can help. Until you get caught.

lamont
11-14-2016, 06:12 PM

Country Club Boys
Miami posturing during Egg Bowl week with a huge bowl berth on the line- losing Egg at home.
Lack of recruiting that kept us from capitalizing on our success
Posturing for other jobs this Fall.

Everything just cant be put out there

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 06:37 PM
Country Club Boys
Miami posturing during Egg Bowl week with a huge bowl berth on the line- losing Egg at home.

Right but most if not all of this happened during 2015-early2016. It's now in the past. How long are we supposed to keep punishing Dan for past mistakes? Let it go. We aren't even ten days from him bringing MSU one of the biggest upsets our University has won in the last 30 years and you've already forgotten all about that. Why is it so easy for you to forget all the good yet so difficult to move on from the bad?

Coursesuper
11-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Country Club Boys

I heard something I need to bounce off you PM me your box is full.

was21
11-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Not a good benchmark to rate Mullen..or any other coach for that matter

lamont
11-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Right but most if not all of this happened during 2015-early2016. It's now in the past. How long are we supposed to keep punishing Dan for past mistakes? Let it go. We aren't even ten days from him bringing MSU one of the biggest upsets our University has won in the last 30 years and you've already forgotten all about that. Why is it so easy for you to forget all the good yet so difficult to move on from the bad?

We are on the edge of a losing season. You yourself has said anybody can go 6-6 in today's SEC
I dont see us being any better in 2017. We lose a ton of linemen- including our Center- which has typically caused us serious problems. Our schedule next year is extremely tough. This is way different from 2013 when we were bringing back alot on the OL and DL- with young promising WR's.

The upset was great- but it doesnt cancel out South Alabama, Kentucky, or BYU. Things are going to get worse before they get better. Going to Georgia, Auburn, A&M, UPig next year is a tough slate with certain losses Bama and LSU at home.

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 07:21 PM
I dont see us being any better in 2017. The upset was great- but it doesnt cancel out South Alabama, Kentucky, or BYU. Things are going to get worse before they get better.

If we get a kicker we don't lose to USA, UK or BYU. Do you agree we have three more wins right now and are sitting at 7-3 if Graves isn't our kicker this year? One competent kicker away from a totally different season right now.

We have extra scholarships, Mullen should offer a full scholarship to the top 25 rated high school kickers till one signs up.

TUSK
11-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Sure, but if you looked at that video you would have seen the four holds and the block in the back. It's very odd the #1 team in the country needs to hold so much as well. In fact, wouldn't surprise me if Cristobal just tells them to hold until it's called. It never was called so they just kept right on holding.

I think all team hold a lot...

and I don't think Bama really "needs to hold", however...

lamont
11-14-2016, 07:31 PM
If we get a kicker we don't lose to USA, UK or BYU. Do you agree we have three more wins right now and are sitting at 7-3 if Graves isn't our kicker this year? One competent kicker away from a totally different season right now.

We have extra scholarships, Mullen should offer a full scholarship to the top 25 rated high school kickers till one signs up.

If my aunt had balls- she'd be my uncle. It shouldnt have come down to one kick. South Alabama missed FG's also- we arent the only team that made some mistakes

msstate7
11-14-2016, 07:32 PM
I think all team hold a lot...

and I don't think Bama really "needs to hold", however...

https://s21.postimg.org/z9ev3wcnb/IMG_1352.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/uarcpd8ub/)

Here's hurts' td run vs lsu. Do all those blocks look clean?

Todd4State
11-14-2016, 07:33 PM

And whose fault is it we don't have a competent kicker? The coach that consistently micromanages the hell out of special teams?

msstate7
11-14-2016, 07:36 PM
And whose fault is it we don't have a competent kicker? The coach that consistently micromanages the hell out of special teams?

Graves was 15/18 in fg's last season. I thought we were set at Fg kicker entering the season. Kinda hard to blame Mullen for not seeing graves' complete meltdown

Todd4State
11-14-2016, 07:36 PM
If we win the next two, there will be no staff changes and Mullen won't be under any pressure to make them. Same thing happened in 2013.

This is a huge problem at MSU- failing to see the warning signs and then waiting until it's too late to do anything. While also at the same time our athletic administration does nothing to cause corrections to be made.

If we go 6-6 Dan can come back- but Hevesy, Sallach, and Knox need to go regardless.

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 07:38 PM

What were Graves stats last year? Sometimes good players suddenly suck and at that position you can't really fix it till the next year. If our kicker sucks next year I will say it's Mullen's fault. Can't really blame him for Graves this year though. That shit is just on Graves.

Todd4State
11-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Graves was 15/18 in fg's last season. I thought we were set at Fg kicker entering the season. Kinda hard to blame Mullen for not seeing graves' complete meltdown

He's not helping by still trotting him out there. Or us either. We have at least two other kickers. I'm absolutely fine sacrificing range for accuracy at this point. But then again Dan is always slow to make changes- ask Brandon Holloway.

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 07:42 PM
If we go 6-6 Dan can come back- but Hevesy, Sallach, and Knox need to go regardless.

If anyone has to go or be moved it's our damn secondary coaches. Our secondary has been the WORST part of our team for 4-5 years in a row. Worse than our OL for almost a half decade straight.

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 07:48 PM

Jesus. Mullen has had 1 year here that I feel like he overachieved. 2010 he made us better than what we were offensively. He gets a pass for 2009. Name me another year. 2011 we underachieved. Our offense went backwards. 2012? No we sucked. Beat no one with a pulse and got murdered by Northwestern. Dak rode the bench while Stone feet started at QB. J Rob rode the pine so Ladarius Perkins could run up the middle for a foot and fall down. Sound familiar??? 2013? Nope. Give him credit for the last 3 games other than that we sucked. That team underachieved. 2014? Mullen quit on one the best players in SEC history after he panicked early vs Bama. 2015? Mullen was planning on leaving with Dak. He has 1 good win this year and 3 incredibly bad losses. He has these last 2 games to make up for them to get us to 6-6 and keep the bowl streak alive. We'll see what happens

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 07:51 PM
If my aunt had balls- she'd be my uncle. It shouldnt have come down to one kick. South Alabama missed FG's also- we arent the only team that made some mistakes

Exactly.

Todd4State
11-14-2016, 07:54 PM
If anyone has to go or be moved it's our damn secondary coaches. Our secondary has been the WORST part of our team for 4-5 years in a row. Worse than our OL for almost a half decade straight.

Would normal agree. However continuity on defense has been an issue so I think it might be better to keep that side of the ball intact of possible. For now.

Defense gets a pass from me for this year. They're on the clock starting in September.

TUSK
11-14-2016, 07:55 PM
https://s21.postimg.org/z9ev3wcnb/IMG_1352.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/uarcpd8ub/)

Here's hurts' td run vs lsu. Do all those blocks look clean?

nope, looks a lot like "block in the back" and a couple "holds" in there, too...

Todd4State
11-14-2016, 07:58 PM
What were Graves stats last year? Sometimes good players suddenly suck and at that position you can't really fix it till the next year. If our kicker sucks next year I will say it's Mullen's fault. Can't really blame him for Graves this year though. That shit is just on Graves.

It is on Graves but Dan keeps trotting his 13th ranked kicker in the SEC out there time and time again. That's on Dan. I'm not blaming Dan for letting him kick against South Alabama. I'm blaming Dan for letting him kick against Alabama. And Kentucky for that matter.

smootness
11-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Jesus. Mullen has had 1 year here that I feel like he overachieved. 2010 he made us better than what we were offensively. He gets a pass for 2009. Name me another year. 2011 we underachieved. Our offense went backwards. 2012? No we sucked. Beat no one with a pulse and got murdered by Northwestern. Dak rode the bench while Stone feet started at QB. J Rob rode the pine so Ladarius Perkins could run up the middle for a foot and fall down. Sound familiar??? 2013? Nope. Give him credit for the last 3 games other than that we sucked. That team underachieved. 2014? Mullen quit on one the best players in SEC history after he panicked early vs Bama. 2015? Mullen was planning on leaving with Dak. He has 1 good win this year and 3 incredibly bad losses. He has these last 2 games to make up for them to get us to 6-6 and keep the bowl streak alive. We'll see what happens

Good to know the most successful coach in our history has been underachieving the whole time. Can't wait until this sleeping giant finally just meets expectations and wins championships for days.

Todd4State
11-14-2016, 08:01 PM
Good to know the most successful coach in our history has been underachieving the whole time. Can't wait until this sleeping giant finally just meets expectations and wins championships for days.

I can't wait either. We have more potential than a lot of our fans realize. And no I'm not saying that Dan is bad. I'm saying he doesn't maximize our talent and resources.

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 08:03 PM

All Im saying is we are not getting what we are paying for. I dont hate Mullen, I think he can do it here. But pandering for other jobs and making the same stupid mistakes year after year was getting old. Then we lost to South Alabama and his mistakes and lack of commitment to recruiting have bit him and most importantly US in the ass

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Gets a pass for 2009? Look at our 2008 year. http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/344/year/2008

You've already lost all credit though after posting that a defensive coordinator moving from MSU to Texas and to Florida are lateral moves.

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Gets a pass for 2009? Look at our 2008 year. http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/344/year/2008

You've already lost all credit though after posting that a defensive coordinator moving from MSU to Texas and to Florida are lateral moves.

Im sorry I lost credibility in your extremely important opinion. Going from one DC job to another isnt a huge step up. Then again you probably would wipe Mullen's ass if he asked you too. He won with Crooms recruits in 09 and 10 btw. Just proves my point even further. But carry on

Coursesuper
11-14-2016, 08:07 PM

Absolutely correct.

bluelightstar
11-14-2016, 08:08 PM
This isn't surprising. We've scored like 6 touchdowns in 8 years against Alabama. I feel pretty confident (without looking it up) that we have the worst 8-year showing against 2009-2016 Alabama of any team in the SEC West.

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 08:09 PM
It is on Graves but Dan keeps trotting his 13th ranked kicker in the SEC out there time and time again. That's on Dan. I'm not blaming Dan for letting him kick against South Alabama. I'm blaming Dan for letting him kick against Alabama. And Kentucky for that matter.

99% of the time you can't fix the kicker problem by bringing in the backup kicker. Maybe we are that 1% but it's more likely Graves finds 2015 Graves than the backup kicker is better than him. That's why you keep trotting him out. Again, if next year we suck at kicker then it is on Mullen. This year it's not.

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Im sorry I lost credibility in your extremely important opinion. Going from one DC job to another isnt a huge step up. Then again you probably would wipe Mullen's ass if he asked you too. He won with Crooms recruits in 09 and 10 btw. Just proves my point even further. But carry on

I wouldn't wipe Mullen's ass I just won't continue to allow the Butthurt clan to shit all over him every single day. You'll know when I want a coach gone. That time hasn't arrived with Mullen. What was our football program like from 2001-2008? That's the previous eight seasons before Mullen's eight seasons. How about you do a compare and contrast for us on those eight seasons to Mullen's eight seasons. Only this time don't be so ridiculously biased like when you said MSU to Florida is a lateral move.

Homedawg
11-14-2016, 08:19 PM

Like Mullen and want him to stay, hate Mullen and want him fired and that's fine either way. However, this post is full of stupid.

Homedawg
11-14-2016, 08:21 PM

So who's recruits did he win with in 14-15 that we "underachieved" with? Damn man. Make a case our recruiting isn't what it should be, but if that's the case you can't say we underachieved. you should say we didn't recruit well enough. Can't have it both ways all the time.

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Like Mullen and want him to stay, hate Mullen and want him fired and that's fine either way. However, this post is full of stupid.

What part of that post was untrue?

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 08:23 PM
So who's recruits did he win with in 14-15 that we "underachieved" with? Damn man. Make a case our recruiting isn't what it should be, but if that's the case you can't say we underachieved. you should say we didn't recruit well enough. Can't have it both ways all the time.

He had 1 good win in 2015. Your'e right about 14 but he also quit on us that year after the loss to Bama

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't wipe Mullen's ass I just won't continue to allow the Butthurt clan to shit all over him every single day. You'll know when I want a coach gone. That time hasn't arrived with Mullen. What was our football program like from 2001-2008? That's the previous eight seasons before Mullen's eight seasons. How about you do a compare and contrast for us on those eight seasons to Mullen's eight seasons. Only this time don't be so ridiculously biased like when you said MSU to Florida is a lateral move.

Hes been better than Sylvester Croom was. What a historical achievement. Hes also making a shit ton more money than Croom did

smootness
11-14-2016, 08:27 PM
All Im saying is we are not getting what we are paying for. I dont hate Mullen, I think he can do it here. But pandering for other jobs and making the same stupid mistakes year after year was getting old. Then we lost to South Alabama and his mistakes and lack of commitment to recruiting have bit him and most importantly US in the ass

What you do you think we're paying for? Or, better put, how much do you think we're paying relative to everyone else?

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 08:29 PM
What you do you think we're paying for? Or, better put, how much do you think we're paying relative to everyone else?

We're paying for a guy who is looking for a way out. Ask Jimmy Sexton.

Homedawg
11-14-2016, 08:30 PM
He had 1 good win in 2015. Your'e right about 14 but he also quit on us that year after the loss to Bama

We won 9 games in 15, 10 in 14. so either, he's a good recruiter, which I'm pretty sure the majority would disagree with or we didn't underachieve. The underachieving part is just not accurate. Not at a school that can count on their hands the number of 9 win seasons we have. And the quitting during the 14 season is stupid ass internet fodder. And if you and anyone else believes that I have land for sale, and trust me I know you aren't alone. But it's just crazy talk.

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 08:31 PM
Hes been better than Sylvester Croom was. What a historical achievement. Hes also making a shit ton more money than Croom did

He isn't better than 2001-2003 Jackie Sherrill? Croom lost to Maine and we didn't fire him. He even said he wasn't surprised we lost to Maine and we didn't fire him. Mullen had us #1 in the Country for 6 straight weeks and finished the season ranked #7. He just beat the #4 team in the country 9 days ago and you want to fire him. Croom lost a football game 3-2.

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 08:38 PM
He isn't better than 2001-2003 Jackie Sherrill? Croom lost to Maine and we didn't fire him. He even said he wasn't surprised we lost to Maine and we didn't fire him. Mullen had us #1 in the Country for 6 straight weeks and finished the season ranked #7. He just beat the #4 team in the country 9 days ago and you want to fire him. Croom lost a football game 3-2.

I was including Sherrill. I should have put that in the post. Yes he was better than Jackie at the end of his career. Croom lost to maine in his first year when we were probably the worst team in D1 football. Mullen is far and away better than Croom. Is that what you want me to say? A&M has proven it didnt deserve to be #4. It was a good and much needed win. He has these last 2 games to salvage the season. We will see what happens

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 08:44 PM
I was including Sherrill. I should have put that in the post. Yes he was better than Jackie at the end of his career. Croom lost to maine in his first year when we were probably the worst team in D1 football. Mullen is far and away better than Croom. Is that what you want me to say? A&M has proven it didnt deserve to be #4. It was a good and much needed win. He has these last 2 games to salvage the season. We will see what happens

Nobody is happy about this season but look at what Dak Prescott is doing with the Cowboys this year. He is the leading MVP candidate in the ****ing NFL in his rookie season. Dan Mullen molded Dak Prescott. Nick Fitz has already set records that even Dak never reached. We have an even better one coming next year. Think about that for a bit.

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 08:46 PM
Nobody is happy about this season but look at what Dak Prescott is doing with the Cowboys this year. He is the leading MVP candidate in the ****ing NFL in his rookie season. Dan Mullen molded Dak Prescott. Nick Fitz has already set records that even Dak never reached. We have an even better one coming next year. Think about that for a bit.

Ok. We will see what happens. Im behind him for the last 2 like all of us should be

Dawg61
11-14-2016, 08:52 PM
Ok. We will see what happens. Im behind him for the last 2 like all of us should be

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GTHOM again.

MarketingBully
11-15-2016, 12:20 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GTHOM again.

As far as physical skills and abilities are concerned, Thompson could be the next Cam Newton. We want that kid to get here and if keeping Mullen means we are assured of keeping him so be it. He is an early enrollee as well. I think he starts as a true freshman.

Commercecomet24
11-15-2016, 12:37 AM
We won 9 games in 15, 10 in 14. so either, he's a good recruiter, which I'm pretty sure the majority would disagree with or we didn't underachieve. The underachieving part is just not accurate. Not at a school that can count on their hands the number of 9 win seasons we have. And the quitting during the 14 season is stupid ass internet fodder. And if you and anyone else believes that I have land for sale, and trust me I know you aren't alone. But it's just crazy talk.

This^^^^^agree completely! I've never understood this argument either. People say he doesn't recruit well and then say he underachieves. That's an oxymoron if ever there was one. It can't be both.

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 12:46 AM
As far as physical skills and abilities are concerned, Thompson could be the next Cam Newton. We want that kid to get here and if keeping Mullen means we are assured of keeping him so be it. He is an early enrollee as well. I think he starts as a true freshman.

I'd be surprised because Nick has been pretty good. It would have to be a situation like Ole Miss where Fitzgerald gets hurt. I do think he eventually beats out Tiano though.

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 12:53 AM
99% of the time you can't fix the kicker problem by bringing in the backup kicker. Maybe we are that 1% but it's more likely Graves finds 2015 Graves than the backup kicker is better than him. That's why you keep trotting him out. Again, if next year we suck at kicker then it is on Mullen. This year it's not.

And what are you basing this on? Trotting Graves out there over and over again could also continue to kill his confidence beyond repair as well. It's no different than any other position- if the guy isn't performing you try someone else. It's Dan's job to develop players and if they aren't improving or in this case significantly regressing, that absolutely is on him at the end of the day. And Dan would probably even tell you that himself.

We need someone that can knock it through the uprights or adjust our expectations of what Graves range is and go for it more on fourth down. We possibly started doing that against Alabama because we went for it on several fourth downs.

MarketingBully
11-15-2016, 12:56 AM
I'd be surprised because Nick has been pretty good. It would have to be a situation like Ole Miss where Fitzgerald gets hurt. I do think he eventually beats out Tiano though.

I think he will beat out Nick A) because he is a leader and has "It", B) he has better physical gifts both running and throwing the ball, and C) he already has a great understanding of the spread offense since that is what he runs in high school. His stats this year are below and he basically is their team meaning Landry-Walker isn't a power house school in Louisiana. He has accounted for 40 TDs both in the air and on the ground not including playoff numbers.

On the season, Thompson has passed for 2,690 yards with 32 touchdowns and five interceptions. He has now eclipsed the 1,000-yard rushing mark, as well, with 1,040 yards on the ground and 18 touchdowns.

Todd4State
11-15-2016, 01:07 AM
I think he will beat out Nick A) because he is a leader and has "It", B) he has better physical gifts both running and throwing the ball, and C) he already has a great understanding of the spread offense since that is what he runs in high school. His stats this year are below and he basically is their team meaning Landry-Walker isn't a power house school in Louisiana. He has accounted for 40 TDs both in the air and on the ground not including playoff numbers.

On the season, Thompson has passed for 2,690 yards with 32 touchdowns and five interceptions. He has now eclipsed the 1,000-yard rushing mark, as well, with 1,040 yards on the ground and 18 touchdowns.

Landry Walker is a powerhouse as far as inner city school teams go in NOLA and they have at least three legit D-I prospects including two juniors who are four star guys that were committed to LSU. They're like a JPS school with high level with advanced high school coaches.

Nick doesn't have "it" like Dak but I think he is more than adequately leading the team. He has more of a John Bond/Joe Namath personality and I think our fans blow his off the fields exploits and how they affect the team way out of proportion. His stats are very similar to Dak's at this point.

Now, I do think that Keytaeon is going to be very good and I think he has the IT factor as well, but I also don't see any reason to rush him as long as Nick is playing well and is healthy.

I think the biggest thing that affected our team this year to be honest with everyone was how we used the running backs earlier in the season. When we started giving the majority of the carries to Aeris things started to turn around for the offense in a very positive way.

GTHOM
11-15-2016, 01:28 AM
Landry Walker is a powerhouse as far as inner city school teams go in NOLA and they have at least three legit D-I prospects including two juniors who are four star guys that were committed to LSU. They're like a JPS school with high level with advanced high school coaches.

Nick doesn't have "it" like Dak but I think he is more than adequately leading the team. He has more of a John Bond/Joe Namath personality and I think our fans blow his off the fields exploits and how they affect the team way out of proportion. His stats are very similar to Dak's at this point.

Now, I do think that Keytaeon is going to be very good and I think he has the IT factor as well, but I also don't see any reason to rush him as long as Nick is playing well and is healthy.

I think the biggest thing that affected our team this year to be honest with everyone was how we used the running backs earlier in the season. When we started giving the majority of the carries to Aeris things started to turn around for the offense in a very positive way.

Exactly. Our O line is not great but Holloway made them look worse. Aeris had 11 carries for 56 yards vs Alabama. Why he wasnt getting the workload hes getting now is what pisses me off with Mullen. I love Holloway to death hes a good player and has a role but Mullen was ignorant for running him on inside zone.

Fitz is the guy unless Thompson has Dak like intangibles. And I hope he is but Fitz is a warrior and has won the team. If Thompson has better physical talents than Fitz I've gotta see him cause Fitz is vastly more talented than Dak ever was

MarketingBully
11-15-2016, 02:22 AM

Disagree with you on Landry-Walker being a power house before Thompson got there. I guess you know Louisiana high school football more then Mike Detillier who is an expert and lives in Louisiana who stated that they didn't win before Thompson got there and will probably go back to not winning once he is gone. I still think Thompson wins the job so let's just agree to disagree on that point.

lamont
11-15-2016, 06:58 AM

Thompson is not beating out Fitz for 2017 season

dawgday166
11-15-2016, 08:03 AM

5 straight weeks and #11 in final CFB rankings. A&M wasn't close to #4 team in country. May be close to top 10 tho but to lose to us then OM, makes me scratch my head. OM isn't a good team ... period. Doesn't really matter tho. I'm for keeping Mullen and seeing what happens next year. Fitz is coming along and there are occasional flashes that maybe things could potentially turn around. We'll see how the last 2 games go, both of which I believe are winnable.

At the moment I would say Dan isn't much better than 2001-2003 Jackie Sherrill. When you become complacent things can go south pretty quickly.

MarketingBully
11-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Thompson is not beating out Fitz for 2017 season

I'd agree with you if Thompson wasn't an Early Enrollee. But he is and I think that extra time gives him what he needs to beat Fitz out for the job. If Fitz can win out and we go to a bowl game and win that as well to finish 7-6, I think that is the only way that Fitz gets a huge advantage going into 2017. It's taken Fitz practically the whole year just to get as far as he has which I think Thompson already is better then. Thompson is the highest ranked dual threat QB Mullen has been able to land at MSU and has the highest floor and ceiling of any QB Mullen has landed here as well.

lamont
11-15-2016, 09:19 AM
I'd agree with you if Thompson wasn't an Early Enrollee. But he is and I think that extra time gives him what he needs to beat Fitz out for the job. If Fitz can win out and we go to a bowl game and win that as well to finish 7-6, I think that is the only way that Fitz gets a huge advantage going into 2017. It's taken Fitz practically the whole year just to get as far as he has which I think Thompson already is better then. Thompson is the highest ranked dual threat QB Mullen has been able to land at MSU and has the highest floor and ceiling of any QB Mullen has landed here as well.

Thompson is another Prescott as far as skill set. Even Dakota needed to RS. Fitz will be the QB in 2017. He is an outstanding runner and getting better in the passing game. Thompson will be good- but in all likelihood he sits the next 2 seasons behind Fitz

dawgday166
11-15-2016, 09:19 AM

Haven't watched nor do I know that much about Thompson yet. However, while Fitz has had his good and bad moments, he is BY FAR not the biggest problem with this year's team. Fitz has progressed and has very good potential. It remains to be seen if the main problems with this team are much less glaring during the final 2 games.

MarketingBully
11-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Thompson is another Prescott as far as skill set. Even Dakota needed to RS. Fitz will be the QB in 2017. He is an outstanding runner and getting better in the passing game. Thompson will be good- but in all likelihood he sits the next 2 seasons behind Fitz

Completely disagree Thompson is another Prescott. Thompson is another Cam Newton. He has a higher floor and ceiling then Prescott and is an early enrollee. He won't need a redshirt. He is going to re-write our record books before he leaves MSU.

MarketingBully
11-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Haven't watched nor do I know that much about Thompson yet. However, while Fitz has had his good and bad moments, he is BY FAR not the biggest problem with this year's team. Fitz has progressed and has very good potential. It remains to be seen if the main problems with this team are much less glaring during the final 2 games.

Did I say Fitz was the problem? Nope but we have had to meander through this season letting Fitz grow as a QB which is one of the reasons we are 4-6. Not the only reason but it is a reason. We don't have another option at QB but to let Fitz grow this year. That is where this team is. My point is also that when we have a high four star QB that comes in and is an early enrollee his floor and ceiling will be much higher then Fitz. I think Thompson will over take him next year. You guys think Fitz will keep the job. We all have opinions here. Will be interesting to see who is right.

lamont
11-15-2016, 10:16 AM
Completely disagree Thompson is another Prescott. Thompson is another Cam Newton. He has a higher floor and ceiling then Prescott and is an early enrollee. He won't need a redshirt. He is going to re-write our record books before he leaves MSU.

With all our option routes and calls a QB has to make- there is no chance of him overtaking Fitz. Hell, Tiano is still lost. Prescott, Fitz, and others have been early enrollees too. As Prescott told everyone- our offense got him prepped for the NFL. Spread offenses are not the same- we run more West Coast concepts than a lot of teams. We don't have many one read passing plays like OM and Auburn. It's a different animal.

I'm excited about Thompson also- but he is at best a back-up in 2017 and most likely a RS

HSVDawg
11-15-2016, 10:22 AM

We can do better than what we saw against UK, BYU, USA, Samford, and UMass. That is for sure. Against Bama, we could have done a lot better with both coaching and effort on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, our playcalling and game plan were sound. Fitz threw catchable passes. Aeris took advantage of some running lanes. But overall, the talent gap was just too wide and our receivers never could make plays although they were out there to be made. Its a talent problem, not a game preparation / motivation problem. It all falls on Mullen either way, but people need to quit acting like we just go through the motions during Bama week at practice.

MarketingBully
11-15-2016, 10:24 AM
With all our option routes and calls a QB has to make- there is no chance of him overtaking Fitz. Hell, Tiano is still lost. Prescott, Fitz, and others have been early enrollees too. As Prescott told everyone- our offense got him prepped for the NFL. Spread offenses are not the same- we run more West Coast concepts than a lot of teams. We don't have many one read passing plays like OM and Auburn. It's a different animal.

I'm excited about Thompson also- but he is at best a back-up in 2017 and most likely a RS

I gotcha. We will just agree to disagree. I just think that Thompson will be the best QB we have ever had just from the standpoint of where his floor is and how high his ceiling can be.

BB30
11-15-2016, 10:30 AM

Screwed the pooch there, now he is likely to have 5 acl injuries a blown rotator cuff and Kevin Fant his way out of Starkville.***

smootness
11-15-2016, 11:17 AM

O....k.

thf24
11-15-2016, 11:26 AM
I gotcha. We will just agree to disagree. I just think that Thompson will be the best QB we have ever had just from the standpoint of where his floor is and how high his ceiling can be.

Absolutely no one in our fan base shouldn't be hoping you're right, but the fact still stands that our offense is much more complicated than most, and it's going to take anyone at least a year get remotely comfortable with it. Thompson won't be starting next year barring Fitz and probably Tiano too going down, and even if he's ready the next, it would be hard to take the job away from a 5th year senior who will be as good as Fitz should be by that time. I think the most likely scenario is Thompson redshirts next year, beats out Tiano for #2 in 2018, and starts his attack on the record books in full capacity in 2019 as a redshirt sophomore.

dawgday166
11-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Did I say Fitz was the problem? Nope but we have had to meander through this season letting Fitz grow as a QB which is one of the reasons we are 4-6. Not the only reason but it is a reason. We don't have another option at QB but to let Fitz grow this year. That is where this team is. My point is also that when we have a high four star QB that comes in and is an early enrollee his floor and ceiling will be much higher then Fitz. I think Thompson will over take him next year. You guys think Fitz will keep the job. We all have opinions here. Will be interesting to see who is right.

Fitz ain't the reason we are 4-6. And I'm not saying Fitz will keep his job. Dan should play the best guy (which he doesn't always do). I'm just saying that a lot of folks on here can't see the forest due to a tree or 2.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2016, 11:43 AM

Dak was an early enrollee and is the greatest football player MSU has produced and he still needed to redshirt and Tyler Russell to get hurt for him to start his sophmore year. Thompson may be great but not many QBs come in and play like Jalen Hurts in the SEC. Fitz has gotten progressively better and he is already breaking or tying Dak's records. Dak took a big jump from his sophmore year to his junior year. Fitz could make that jump and then it would make it even tougher for Thompson to beat him out.

At the beginning of the year, everyone seemed to say Tiano had "It" and he would beat out Fitz. Fitz is better than around half of the league QBs. He is the best Rushing QB and his passing is improving.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Fitz ain't the reason we are 4-6. And I'm not saying Fitz will keep his job. Dan should play the best guy (which he doesn't always do). I'm just saying that a lot of folks on here can't see the forest due to a tree or 2.

Most people agree that we are already bowl eligible if Aeris starts game one and gets starter carries. Dan flushed this season down the crapper with his Holloway/Shump experiment. Aeris would also helped the defense stay off the field.

dawgday166
11-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Most people agree that we are already bowl eligible if Aeris starts game one and gets starter carries. Dan flushed this season down the crapper with his Holloway/Shump experiment. Aeris would also helped the defense stay off the field.

On top of this fact: When you block like little old ladies and tackle like little old ladies you lose football games, regardless of who the QB is.