PDA

View Full Version : Jerry says Dak is the starter

starkvegasdawg
11-14-2016, 05:55 AM
Said it was obvious to him who has the hot hand. Ride the pine, Romo, and learn from the rookie.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18043315/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-says-tony-romo-back-dak-prescott-next-week

MetEdDawg
11-14-2016, 06:57 AM
I don't know if y'all see it this way, but I get the feeling a loss means Dak rides the bench. That's just the feeling I'm getting and that really sets the team up for failure if that's the case because now you have everyone puckered up after one single loss.

I get this is a tough situation, but I get the feeling the Cowboys are going to screw this one up and lose the magic.

Dawgface
11-14-2016, 06:58 AM
Of course he said going with the 'hot hand'. He certainly isn't closing the door in case Dak stumbles. But you can't blame him for leaving the door open when you have a high paid veteran on the bench.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2016, 08:20 PM
I don't know if y'all see it this way, but I get the feeling a loss means Dak rides the bench. That's just the feeling I'm getting and that really sets the team up for failure if that's the case because now you have everyone puckered up after one single loss.

I get this is a tough situation, but I get the feeling the Cowboys are going to screw this one up and lose the magic.

If Dak has a bad game and the Cowboys lose, it is pretty much a certainity that Jones will put Romo in. Not fair to Dak, but it appears it has been a game to game situation for several weeks, according to some NFL radio people. Jones loves Romo.

msstate7
11-14-2016, 08:23 PM
If Dak has a bad game and the Cowboys lose, it is pretty much a certainity that Jones will put Romo in. Not fair to Dak, but it appears it has been a game to game situation for several weeks, according to some NFL radio people. Jones loves Romo.

If jerry does that and the cowboys lose the next one with romo, jerry may lose the team.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2016, 08:26 PM
Said it was obvious to him who has the hot hand. Ride the pine, Romo, and learn from the rookie.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18043315/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-says-tony-romo-back-dak-prescott-next-week

As long as Dak is performing at the level he has been and winning, Jones won't make a change. However if he has a bad game and Dallas loses. you can look for Romo on the field.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2016, 08:36 PM
If jerry does that and the cowboys lose the next one with romo, jerry may lose the team.

I agree, but what I have read and heard, as long as Dallas is winning Romo won't play, but if they happen to lose, then that is the opportunity to move Romo in. If that happens, it isn't fair, but I guess you could call that NFL politics. Dak and the rest of the team have a great chemistry going now, and it would be crazy, to mess that up, after one loss. I never have had much for Jones after the way he treated Tom Landry.

BeardoMSU
11-14-2016, 09:10 PM
I agree, but what I have read and heard, as long as Dallas is winning Romo won't play, but if they happen to lose, then that is the opportunity to move Romo in. If that happens, it isn't fair, but I guess you could call that NFL politics. Dak and the rest of the team have a great chemistry going now, and it would be crazy, to mess that up, after one loss. I never have had much for Jones after the way he treated Tom Landry.

They will have to lose because of Dak, and I just don't see that happening. Yesterday for example: had they lost, it wouldn't have been because of the offense, especially since they had just gone up with under 2 minutes left....

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2016, 09:21 PM
It's a complicated situation.

While winning is certainly the most important thing, it would really be nice for the Cowboys to put a healthy Romo on film for other teams to see.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2016, 09:27 PM
It's a complicated situation.

While winning is certainly the most important thing, it would really be nice for the Cowboys to put a healthy Romo on film for other teams to see.

I think "complicated" is definitely an accurate word.

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2016, 09:45 PM
I think "complicated" is definitely an accurate word.

Yeah, obviously I'm a huge Dak fan, but I'm not totally against the idea of the Cowboys bringing Romo back.

Objectively, the only down side of Romo taking Dak's spot is that the Cowboys lose momentum. That's it.

Dak has done enough this year that he's clearly the future of the team & probably for 10+ years.

With that in mind, here are the positives of bringing Romo back:

1. You still have Dak as the backup if he sucks or gets hurt
2. You show he's healthy for other teams to see & allow his trade value to skyrocket. Jets, Vikings, Denver, Bears, & Dolphins
3. Romo COULD make the Cowboys a marginally better team. As good as Dak is, Romo currently has a higher ceiling as a downfield passer. You can't find that out if Romo doesn't play, &, again, Dak is still the future & is right there if Romo fails.
4. You solve the QB controversy. If Romo plays, it ends the discussion.

Dak is the future, but winning the Super Bowl this year is the #1 priority & maximizing Romo's trade value is priority #2. Playing Romo allows you accomplish both goals. Again, Dak is right there, ready to play if something goes wrong.

BB30
11-15-2016, 10:20 AM
Yeah, obviously I'm a huge Dak fan, but I'm not totally against the idea of the Cowboys bringing Romo back.

Objectively, the only down side of Romo taking Dak's spot is that the Cowboys lose momentum. That's it.

Dak has done enough this year that he's clearly the future of the team & probably for 10+ years.

2. You show he's healthy for other teams to see & allow his trade value to skyrocket. Jets, Vikings, Denver, Bears, & Dolphins
3. Romo COULD make the Cowboys a marginally better team. As good as Dak is, Romo currently has a higher ceiling as a downfield passer. You can't find that out if Romo doesn't play, &, again, Dak is still the future & is right there if Romo fails.

Dak is the future, but winning the Super Bowl this year is the #1 priority & maximizing Romo's trade value is priority #2. Playing Romo allows you accomplish both goals. Again, Dak is right there, ready to play if something goes wrong.

Valid points, I think if you go with Romo you run the risk of dividing the fan base as well especially if he doesn't play well/gets hurt again. I think letting Dak play until he struggles is probably the safest bet at this point. Also, there is a flip side to not playing Romo and trade value. Everybody knows he is an injury time bomb, you play him and he gets hurt again there is no way anybody will take that chance on him. He doesn't play due to Dak playing so well there is a built in excuse that we went with the hot hand but Romo is still a good QB and he is healthy after having a full year of rest/recovery.

Jack Lambert
11-15-2016, 10:32 AM

Romo won't last two games before getting hurt.

SaintDawg
11-15-2016, 10:57 AM
If they lose a game, and the loss not only falls on the offense, but due to mistakes that Dak makes, they should start Dak the next game to see how he reacts and bounces back from a loss. If he continues to play poorly, then you put in Romo. If they really want Dak to be the future of this team, he has to take the losses as a learning moment and move on. That's what builds a leader. You can't bench him because of one loss. That's silly. It could possibly kill his confidence. (but I doubt it knowing Dak) This team is one point away from being 9-0 with a rookie at the helm.

The season opener vs. the Giants was very telling. They lost, and since then they haven't looked back. Dak is going to have a bad game. It's inevitable. Romo is a great QB, but I honestly think that if they put him in if they bench Dak, he would try too hard to make great plays to make the fanbase "remember him" so to speak and he'll screw up everything that the team has accomplished to this point. Am I making any sense?

smootness
11-15-2016, 11:12 AM

I don't think that's the case. I think he's just trying to make the move to Dak without stepping on Romo by saying it's permanent and also leaving the door open in case of some kind of collapse. But I don't think one loss would force a change at this point; Dak's shown he's plenty capable, and the team has rallied around him.

smootness
11-15-2016, 11:15 AM

It also could really hurt team chemistry, which at this point outweighs all those other things you listed. You can't risk blowing this up right now. You have to ride Dak, he is their best chance at a Super Bowl.

And a couple games won't do anything to affect Romo's trade value. Everyone knows he's old and brittle, and staying healthy for a short period of time won't change that. If you're able to trade him, it will just be to get money off the books and the other team will be accepting the risk of future injury whether he plays some this year or not.

IMissJack
11-15-2016, 11:52 AM
I think Romo will retire after season.