PDA

View Full Version : Would you want a bowl at 5-7?

msudawg1200
11-13-2016, 10:04 AM
If we do finish 5-7, I'd say we have a good chance(75 to 80%) to get in a bowl. There are 80 bowl slots. It looks like there will be anywhere from 73 to 77 bowl eligible teams. I know some upsets may happen, but even with some there is going to be some 5-7 teams going bowling. The selection is determined by APR. We are in pretty good shape here. In fact, of teams that might finish 5-7 only Vandy, BC, UCLA, Notre Dame, and NO Texas are higher than us. I don't see Vandy getting to 5-7, and NO Texas will probably finish 6-6. That would most likely put us in. In fact, the SB Nation projections has us in at 5-7 against Temple in the St. Petersburg Bowl. Now, would anyone be in favor of us accepting a bowl at 5-7? I say we need the practice so I would want us to go.

msstate7
11-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I'd take it. Oh and if random is right and Mullen is gone, bring rhule home with us from St. Pete as HC

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2016, 10:08 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

We would not deserve to go to one, but we need the practice......BAD. Also, with so many early enrollees, like Fitz did when he enrolled early, I believe may of those guys would be able to practice with the team during bowl prep. That could pay unquantifiable dividends come Spring & Fall practice. It gives the team & many new players a jump off point for 2017.

No brainer we need to go to a bowl

basedog
11-13-2016, 10:15 AM
I for one have never been for a team bowling at .500 much less at a losing season.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2016, 10:20 AM
I for one have never been for a team bowling at .500 much less at a losing season.

Agree, but I still want to go if it's offered. I care more about the future of my program than I do about the merits of bowl eligibility

msstate7
11-13-2016, 10:21 AM

I don't think the sec would give us a choice

thf24
11-13-2016, 10:25 AM
The practice alone makes it a non-question. Pride or any other personal feelings or beliefs about what does and doesn't deserve getting to play in an extra exhibition game are meaningless.

Todd4State
11-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Yes I would be for us going to a bowl at 5-7. There are too many benefits to going to one and we obviously need as much practice as possible. It's also an opportunity for our fans to show other bowls how well we travel and support our team and that only benefits us going forward. We win whatever bowl and it could set the tone for the offseason for us as well in a positive way.

Liverpooldawg
11-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Yes, for the practice time.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
11-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Yep that's become my annual event for the last 6 years!! I want to keep our Bowl streak alive!

basedog
11-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Not saying I don't want to see us getting practice time, just don't like the system of .500 or less teams.

As for as our fans traveling, not sure we would sell many tickets but more than the opponent IF we luck out and get a bid.

yjnkdawg
11-13-2016, 11:35 AM
I think the extra practice time, especially for the ee's, would have a greater benefit over the stigma of playing in a bowl with a 5-7 record.

scottycameron
11-13-2016, 12:00 PM
We would never live that shit down. Never. You don't know the confederates. 20 years from now they will be using a line from it in every other MSU reference. That don't need any help in this regard.

Having said that we do need the extra time and we could get lined up with a big name tradition rich school having an off year and woodshed them the it could be a positive regardless of record.

lamont
11-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I'd take it. Oh and if random is right and Mullen is gone, bring rhule home with us from St. Pete as HC

I said he is looking hard at other jobs- I've in no way guaranteed he is leaving. Somebody has to hire his ass for him to be able to leave. Georgia and Miami wouldnt last year

lamont
11-13-2016, 12:13 PM
and **** no on going to a bowl at 5-7. This is not the everybody gets a trophy league

msstate7
11-13-2016, 12:14 PM
and **** no on going to a bowl at 5-7. This is not the everybody gets a trophy league

I doubt seriously the sec would allow that

Quaoarsking
11-13-2016, 12:16 PM
The reason we'd be 5-7 instead of 6-6 is because of the SEC's new non-conference scheduling rule, so there's really no difference in going to a bowl this year at 5-7 and going at 6-6 in 2011.

basedog
11-13-2016, 12:17 PM
I doubt seriously the sec would allow that

We could deny an invitation.

Quaoarsking
11-13-2016, 12:17 PM

You'd seriously rather not have 15 extra practices for our players and early enrollees? If we don't take the bid at 5-7, some other 5-7 would.

MetEdDawg
11-13-2016, 12:23 PM
100%. This isn't like basketball where teams like ours don't go to the CBI if we qualify. You freaking go to a bowl game.

I know a lot on here are skeptical about this year. But what happens if this team goes 5-7 or 6-6?? Means we were 14 points away from being 8-4 or hell, even 9-3. We are far from the top, but we sure as hell aren't some perennial cellar dweller anymore. This is a middle tier SEC team that between back breaks and poor coaching is actually not as bad as the record shows. I expect us to be pretty good next year. Those 15 bowl practices prevent us from falling behind so you take them how you can get them.

This team will return a lot of minutes next year. Extra 15 practices would do us a world of good.

sleepy dawg
11-13-2016, 12:25 PM
I am against 5-7 teams going to bowls, but as long as teams are going bowling at 5 wins, I want to be one of those teams.

lamont
11-13-2016, 12:35 PM
You'd seriously rather not have 15 extra practices for our players and early enrollees? If we don't take the bid at 5-7, some other 5-7 would.

nope.

Offshore Dawg
11-13-2016, 02:26 PM
This team needs the extra practice time, that is without question. Some of you need to take your agendas and get over it.

msstate7
11-13-2016, 02:32 PM
We could deny an invitation.

We could... why we would, I have no idea though. We'd cost ourselves and the conference money. We'd also delay our JUCOs and EEs practice time

msstate7
11-13-2016, 02:34 PM
This team needs the extra practice time, that is without question. Some of you need to take your agendas and get over it.

No one here decides. You really think our BRAND NEW AD is gonna turn down money, practice time, and the fans an extra game bc random doesn't like it?

basedog
11-13-2016, 02:36 PM
We could... why we would, I have no idea though. We'd cost ourselves and the conference money. We'd also delay our JUCOs and EEs practice time

I'm just saying I don't agree with.500 or less wins. Hell I know we need the practice and another win. It's the rule I don't care for.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-13-2016, 02:37 PM
No, just feels insulting and similar to the everyone gets a trophy mentality. This is why they need to start cutting bowl games. I remember missing a bowl game in 97 and we were 7-4.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2016, 02:38 PM
No one here decides. You really think our BRAND NEW AD is gonna turn down money, practice time, and the fans an extra game bc random doesn't like it?

I am 100% for going bowling but don't a lot of schools lose money going to smaller bowls? Does it increase the total bowl payout for the SEC even though these are bottom of the barrel bowls?

HereComesTheSpiral
11-13-2016, 02:40 PM

We would probably lose money going to a bowl game at 5-7 because good luck selling the ticket allotment and all of the other stuff that we have to pay for going to a bowl game.

msstate7
11-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Nebraska took a bowl at 5-7 last year. They won the bowl and it springboarded them to 8-2 (top 20 team) this year

msstate7
11-13-2016, 02:45 PM
We would probably lose money going to a bowl game at 5-7 because good luck selling the ticket allotment and all of the other stuff that we have to pay for going to a bowl game.
We're talking about Memphis or Birmingham. We should be able to sell some tickets

Todd4State
11-13-2016, 02:50 PM

I would say that totally depends on whether the fifth win is over Arkansas or Ole Miss.

Todd4State
11-13-2016, 02:53 PM
A lot of the small schools lose money going to a bowl because their athletic budget is small plus they have a small fanbase. That's not us. Even if we did lose money the exposure and extra practice time is hard to put a dollar figure on but well worth the long term benefits.