PDA

View Full Version : Excellent write up by James Spann on current drought

starkvegasdawg
11-13-2016, 07:52 AM
Lays it out wonderfully.

http://www.alabamawx.com/?p=107454

Bodawg
11-13-2016, 09:27 AM
Good article indeed. Puts the current drought in perspective. Joe Bastardi of Weatherbell, goes back into climate past and uses that data as part of his predictions. He seems to be one of the better long term forecasters.

TheRef
11-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Good article indeed. Puts the current drought in perspective. Joe Bastardi of Weatherbell, goes back into climate past and uses that data as part of his predictions. He seems to be one of the better long term forecasters.

Bastardi is a good dude. We actually had a shot as his son for a little bit.

Gutter Cobreh
11-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Seeing some rain today in east GA. Not heavy, but good to see none the less. Hoping you guys in AL and MS see some soon!

MetEdDawg
11-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Sad part is James has used that write for about 3 weeks, whivh means the fact he's still having to use it is not good. He's just updated the dates and numbers. Looking like a Friday/Saturday front (models saying it will be gone before game time but it's not packing a ton of moisture). He's been projecting a pattern change middle of this month and thus far that's the first shot of real rain. Bham Airport now at 56 straight days without measure able rain so we are suffering here in central AL pretty bad.

starkvegasdawg
11-13-2016, 12:38 PM
Sad part is James has used that write for about 3 weeks, whivh means the fact he's still having to use it is not good. He's just updated the dates and numbers. Looking like a Friday/Saturday front (models saying it will be gone before game time but it's not packing a ton of moisture). He's been projecting a pattern change middle of this month and thus far that's the first shot of real rain. Bham Airport now at 56 straight days without measure able rain so we are suffering here in central AL pretty bad.

Starkville is also over 50 days but not that many. I'm thinking we're around 53 give or take. Last 24 hour period we had a 0.1" of rain was 8/20 so over 80 days for that.

RocketDawg
11-13-2016, 03:29 PM
We have a lot of smoke from the Georgia/North Carolina fires in Huntsville today. Earlier, I thought it was cloudy just looking out the window but it's smoke. Pretty dense but I haven't smelled it yet, unlike 2007.

The smoke should make for a pretty spectacular orange supermoon tonight when it comes up. Closest approach in 68 years and will appear as 14% larger than average.

jwbigcreek
11-13-2016, 09:53 PM
Wondered if all the smoke was from the fires. Could smell it on Monte Sano this morning.

We have a lot of smoke from the Georgia/North Carolina fires in Huntsville today. Earlier, I thought it was cloudy just looking out the window but it's smoke. Pretty dense but I haven't smelled it yet, unlike 2007.

The smoke should make for a pretty spectacular orange supermoon tonight when it comes up. Closest approach in 68 years and will appear as 14% larger than average.