PDA

View Full Version : Clemson loses

RocketDawg
11-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Well, six seconds to go. Pitt just made a 40-something yard FG. Up by 1 now.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Bama will win the NC game by 20 points

msstate7
11-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Bama will win the NC game by 20 points

I think you're wrong. Michigan or Ohio state can play with bama. Might not win, but not 20 point loss

LC Dawg
11-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Should be fun listening to Danny Kannell since the ACC will be left out of the playoffs.

HSVDawg
11-12-2016, 07:59 PM
I think you're wrong. Michigan or Ohio state can play with bama. Might not win, but not 20 point loss

Thats where it gets interesting. It won't be both Michigan and OSU that make the playoff most likely (especially if Michigan beats OSU). And then Washington could easily drop one also. Clemson is still very much in the hunt but they can't have any more slip ups.

LC Dawg
11-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Thats where it gets interesting. It won't be both Michigan and OSU that make the playoff most likely (especially if Michigan beats OSU). And then Washington could easily drop one also. Clemson is still very much in the hunt but they can't have any more slip ups.
I think they may put a one loss Michigan in ahead of Clemson even though Michigan wouldn't be in a championship game. That was a bad loss for Clemson.

BulldogBear
11-12-2016, 09:14 PM
I think they may put a one loss Michigan in ahead of Clemson even though Michigan wouldn't be in a championship game. That was a bad loss for Clemson.

Michigan kinda strugglon' @Iowa. Only 3-0 2qtr. They're usually up by 50 by now.

LC Dawg
11-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Washington is currently losing and Michigan is struggling. I just don't see anyone being that competitive with Bama unless Bama makes a bunch of mistakes.

HSVDawg
11-12-2016, 10:04 PM

It wasn't a good loss by any means, but the committee has given heavy weighting to conference champions. If they win out I think they still have a spot. I don't think both Michigan and OSU get in and then you have Bama. That leaves two spots for the taking between Washington, Clemson or Louisville (but not both) and maybe the loser of Michigan / Ohio State. There really aren't a lot of other good options out there.

LC Dawg
11-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Washington is down 11 in the 4th and Michigan down one in the 3rd. Alabama may be the only unbeaten after this weekend. That would make the rankings interesting.

HSVDawg
11-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Washington is down 11 in the 4th and Michigan down one in the 3rd. Alabama may be the only unbeaten after this weekend. That would make the rankings interesting.

If Washington and Michigan both lose, my guess is the rankings don't change all that much.

LC Dawg
11-12-2016, 11:40 PM
If Washington and Michigan both lose, my guess is the rankings don't change all that much.

I say Ohio State and Louisville move into top 4 but I don't have a guess on the 4th team. Probably could list Bama as 1and 2.

HSVDawg
11-13-2016, 12:21 AM
I say Ohio State and Louisville move into top 4 but I don't have a guess on the 4th team. Probably could list Bama as 1and 2.

I could see that, but in the end you still have the same teams controlling their destiny no matter what the current rankings show. Those teams are Bama, Washington, Michigan, Ohio State, and Clemson. Louisville may jump in, but they still need another Clemson loss before its all said and done. Nobody else is really in the picture at the moment. With the top 4, so much happened with the losses that the net change to the outlook was nothing (as weird as that sounds).

In the BCS era, this would have been one of those crazy Saturdays where there is endless analysis on the impact of the fallout from the top 4. Unfortunately, that is not the case anymore and it is a little less interesting.

RocketDawg
11-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Clemson has to be ecstatic to see both Michigan and Washington lose. They'll likely still be in the playoff 4. And Ohio State will probably slip in. Who drops out? Probably Washington.

BulldogBear
11-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Clemson has to be ecstatic to see both Michigan and Washington lose. They'll likely still be in the playoff 4. And Ohio State will probably slip in. Who drops out? Probably Washington.

Washington definitely had the most to lose. I believe the opinion (in the mind of the committee) is that the Pac-12 is several notches below SEC, ACC, and Big Ten. They don't see much difference between them and Big 12.

BulldogBear
11-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Washington definitely had the most to lose. I believe the opinion (in the mind of the committee) is that the Pac-12 is several notches below SEC, ACC, and Big Ten. They don't see much difference between them and Big 12.

IOW they needed to win out. Amongst a bunch of one lossers, they are going to be left out.

HSVDawg
11-13-2016, 11:06 AM

Yeah but you have to still look at what teams have ahead of them. The rankings are based only on the body of work up to the present time. I fully expect Washington to drop out of the Top 4, but if they win out they will add wins over a Top 20 Washington State and a Top 10-15 Colorado, Utah, or USC in the championship game. Other than the Stanford game, their schedule is back loaded. They still have ample opportunity to play their way in and very much control their own destiny (mainly because Clemson / Louisville and Michigan / Ohio State serve as de facto elimination games).

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Ohio State & Louisville are the only two teams that have any shot of beating Bama.

Michigan wouldn't score on Bama. It would look like the LSU game.

Ohio State has the best chance

Louisville could get slaughtered by Bama, but Lamar Jackson is a wild card that gives them a punchers chance