PDA

View Full Version : Everybody back to reality now??

Thick
11-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Today sober some of you guys up after the drunk fest over aTm? There's a gap in talent....absolutely, but come on, today was absolutely embarrassing. These mother****ers have no pride whatsoever. At least get after it, and leave everything you have on the field. I'm sorry, but beating aTm one week and getting treated like the scout team the next is just pathetic.

lamont
11-12-2016, 07:29 PM
These last 2 games will answer some questions and set the tone for the offseason

msstate7
11-12-2016, 07:33 PM
These last 2 games will answer some questions and set the tone for the offseason

Yep. Today was an absolute thrashing, but a loss was expected

Todd4State
11-12-2016, 07:34 PM
I don’t understand why we come out fired up one week and then completely lazy the next. And we have a coach that has coached in the SEC for eight years.

That’s the thing that bothers me about Dan more than anything. How and why does he allow this to happen?

I’m not even asking to win. I’m just asking to give our best effort every time and at least be respectable.

bulldawg28
11-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Today sober some of you guys up after the drunk fest over aTm? There's a gap in talent....absolutely, but come on, today was absolutely embarrassing. These mother****ers have no pride whatsoever. At least get after it, and leave everything you have on the field. I'm sorry, but beating aTm one week and getting treated like the scout team the next is just pathetic.

I'm normally with you but what Bama did to us today they COULD if Saban wanted to 97% of teams in college.

Thick
11-12-2016, 07:35 PM
We all expected a loss, but it's the manner in which we took it that is bothersome.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2016, 07:37 PM
We all expected a loss, but it's the manner in which we took it that is bothersome.

It's odd because we only scored 3 points, but I actually thought we did some good things on offense.

The defense was FUBAR & played with no pride, effort, or intelligence

Special teams were just as bad

dawgday166
11-12-2016, 07:46 PM
I never left reality. I knew today would be a beat down and any mild level of intensity we might come out with wouldn't last more than a quarter or a half of a quarter .. if that.

I'm waiting to see what happens the next 2 weeks. Maybe we can get to a bowl (which at 6-6 I don't care that much about, but would like the practices), get some momentum going into off season, then maybe Dan will get himself, the coaching staff, and the team back to relentless intensity and effort. Still in somewhat hopeful state.

Outside Dawg
11-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Were there any injuries today?

maroonmania
11-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Well, I can understand when you know you have probably a less than 1% chance of winning that it might stem the energy you need to play all out. I'm still much more pissed about the efforts against USA, BYU and KY than I am today. The biggest thing today was getting thru the game without any major injuries to allow us to have a shot in the last 2 games.

Gutter Cobreh
11-12-2016, 07:55 PM
We seem to get star struck when we enter Bryant Denny. It's a tough place to play, especially with a shaky secondary.

Bama's defense is probably the best in school history. It all adds up to what we say today.

I don't out a whole lot of stock in the loss or how bad it was. The key is how we respond against Ark and OM

lamont
11-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Us being unable to be competitive with physical teams is very disturbing tho

DownwardDawg
11-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Today did absolutely nothing for me. Nada. I expected about what happened. The next two weeks will form my opinion either way. All the aTm game did for me was give me a little hope that we might not suck as bad next year as I thought we would.

HoopsDawg
11-12-2016, 08:23 PM

Bama treated it like a scrimmage game. They were working on their passing game. I'm sorry, but this game pissed me off. I knew we would struggle on offense with Hev, but we are completely clueless on Defense.

Maroonthirteen
11-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Yeah...some of those angles we took to the ball today were.....head scratching.

HoopsDawg
11-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Yeah...some of those angles we took to the ball today were.....head scratching.

Angles, tackling, pursuit were all bad. But also, we have lacked a pass rush and any sort of penetration all year. We are not disruptive at all. We don't dictate the game defensively.

msstate7
11-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Bama treated it like a scrimmage game. They were working on their passing game. I'm sorry, but this game pissed me off. I knew we would struggle on offense with Hev, but we are completely clueless on Defense.

I thought Hev's group played pretty well considering

HoopsDawg
11-12-2016, 08:35 PM
I thought Hev's group played pretty well considering

Really? I guess expectations are pretty low.

msstate7
11-12-2016, 08:37 PM

Thought fitz had pretty good time to pass. They sacked dak 9 times last year

DownwardDawg
11-12-2016, 08:39 PM

Fitz had way more time to throw than I expected today.

HoopsDawg
11-12-2016, 08:44 PM

a couple of times he did. bama didnt blitz much, but he still took a pretty good beating. That Dear play is a perfect example of having one more second, or half second and we may have a TD there.

Really Clark?
11-12-2016, 08:46 PM

Third highest rushing total they have allowed this year and tied for lowest sack total in a game this year.

IMissJack
11-12-2016, 11:12 PM
JWS had an offense that looked like a jr. high, but he knew how to play bama. It can only be done in the trenches, nose to nose, helmet on helmet. We are not built for that now, and will not be under DM. You will never be able to out finesse, out run, out plan bama. And, yes I know bama is better now than then.

Liverpooldawg
11-12-2016, 11:15 PM
JWS had an offense that looked like a jr. high, but he knew how to play bama. It can only be done in the trenches, nose to nose, helmet on helmet. We are not built for that now, and will not be under DM. You will never be able to out finesse, out run, out plan bama. And, yes I know bama is better now than then.

Yeah, Bama during JWS' reign was much better than under Saben.*******

IMissJack
11-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Yeah, Bama during JWS' reign was much better than under Saben.*******

Can you read? I just said bama is better now.

dawg27
11-13-2016, 12:32 AM
Yep. Today was an absolute thrashing, but a loss was expected

A loss was expected today but not 51 to 3 we never slowed them down we never did one single thing good on offense we did not get beat today we got skull dragged

sandjunky
11-13-2016, 07:34 AM
So I made a good decision to take family to see the baseball scrimmage instead of FB game....awesomeness!

defiantdog
11-13-2016, 09:58 AM
The guys played scared. Ross was scared to take a hit, Peters and JT Gray were afraid to hit, our linebackers couldn't break off blocks (I don't care if they're holding..... knock that ****ers out who's got a paw on you), and our DL were taking off plays. There was a bright spot..... Bryant started playing hard when we were down 44-3.

tcdog70
11-13-2016, 11:34 AM

What is disappointing is that, yes He had some time but He could never find the receiver running wide open. He continues to lock on #1 option thru hell or high water. What was also pathetic is the way Refs let Bama dbacks interfer on every pass .

GTHOM
11-13-2016, 11:40 AM
I'm normally with you but what Bama did to us today they COULD if Saban wanted to 97% of teams in college.

Except we're the only ones that get beat 51-3?? WKU played them better than we did. Yesterday was a horrible performance especially by our defense. I knew our offense would get dismantled

yjnkdawg
11-13-2016, 11:42 AM
What is disappointing is that, yes He had some time but He could never find the receiver running wide open. He continues to lock on #1 option thru hell or high water. What was also pathetic is the way Refs let Bama dbacks interfer on every pass .

There was also an obvious hold on Hurts td run.

tcdog70
11-13-2016, 11:43 AM
A loss was expected today but not 51 to 3 we never slowed them down we never did one single thing good on offense we did not get beat today we got skull dragged

With Sirmon, we never take anything away. We just play vanilla soft ass zone and stop nothing. Sell out to stop the run or the pass.Stop something. Why not blitz Bama? Why not press the receivers? . Plus if we play even steven on defense and offense we will lose because we have the worst special teams in the SEC. Where is **** did we find that guy that punted? Any JUCO in MS has a better punter.

tcdog70
11-13-2016, 11:45 AM

They hold and interfere on every play. Sort of like Pitinos defense, they can't call all the fouls. Bama is the golden child and that won't change .

yjnkdawg
11-13-2016, 11:47 AM
With Sirmon, we never take anything away. We just play vanilla soft ass zone and stop nothing. Sell out to stop the run or the pass.Stop something. Why not blitz Bama? Why not press the receivers? . Plus if we play even steven on defense and offense we will lose because we have the worst special teams in the SEC. Where is **** did we find that guy that punted? Any JUCO in MS has a better punter.

Do we actually know if Mullen was hands off on the defense like in the TAMU game? Probably not. Apparently we weren't planning on Logan Cooke getting injured. No backup plan.

Ari Gold
11-13-2016, 11:56 AM

Starts at the top...
When your head coach has a shit eating grin on his face after your kicker FINALLY makes a FG it tells all you need to know about the coaches and players mindset going into that game..

Changes have to be made, the CCB ( great description btw, bravo to whoever came up with that) have to be blown up
And attrition needs to happen with many players..

I may ruffle some feathers here, but there isn't but a handful of SEC calibure players that are in Mississippi.. Get pissed about that if ya want but the bottom line is there aren't ..
So you better get ur ass in other states and recruit some guys and there isn't a rule that we have to just recruit players from states that border MS.. ( get your asses in Ga, Tx, ).
And we better keep hammering the jucos. Character issues or not if we can't get the high school 4* from other states you better get the transfers that can play from the juco ranks..

GTHOM
11-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Do we actually know if Mullen was hands off on the defense like in the TAMU game? Probably not. Apparently we weren't planning on Logan Cooke getting injured. No backup plan.

I know he had a big hand in the defense vs Samford and UK

Thick
11-13-2016, 12:23 PM

You do realize that OM has beat them back to back and competed hard for 3 in a row, and never broke a 100 yds rushing in any of those games that they won? They have never physically whipped Bama in the trenches. They finessed them with offense, had great talent on defense, and played them believing they could compete and beat them. That starts with their HC.

dawg27
11-13-2016, 12:53 PM

I agree but let's not turn into Ole Miss here and blame the refs we got beat 51 to 3 because we are not a good team, Fitzgerald cannot find open receivers and he actually had a little bit of time to throw the ball but if that one receiver that he is going to is not open either still throws to him, doesn't matter if he's double covered or not or runs, he was 10 of 33 that's not going to get it done in anybody I don't care if it's Alabama or Vandy, our defense look like they were just playing not to get hurt I never seen such poor approach poor tackling they was not running full speed, I hate to be a downer but we did expect to loose yesterday everybody knew that, but can we not have a little bit of a better showing than that.

lamont
11-13-2016, 01:00 PM
They sacked Dakota 9 times last year because we stayed in the game with them and made them work for awhile. Yesterday's game was over at kickoff and they coasted

HereComesTheSpiral
11-13-2016, 01:08 PM
Did I expect a win, nope. Did I expect Mullen to file rape charges on Saban, nope.

NCDawg
11-13-2016, 01:40 PM
You do realize that OM has beat them back to back and competed hard for 3 in a row, and never broke a 100 yds rushing in any of those games that they won? They have never physically whipped Bama in the trenches. They finessed them with offense, had great talent on defense, and played them believing they could compete and beat them. That starts with their HC.

Agree with this. Mullen's demeanor totally changes when he plays Saban. Very calm and collected, not at all like he was against Texas A&M. Guess he knows Saban can whip our butt as much as he feels like, and Mullen plays scared. Nice of Saban to put his subs in the second half, run the ball, and not run the score up more than he felt like.

Tripp McNeely
11-13-2016, 02:10 PM

Is reality the norm or the exception/anomaly? Alabama, and I'm not telling you anything you don't know, is the exception to the rule/norm of every other team on our schedule. A&M, after having watched them play 5-6 times this year, is a team, almost eerily in line with the next two teams we play, hence more "reality".

So, you're premise is actually pretty flawed. From an empirical point of view, A&M, especially when you look at the remainder of our schedule is INFINITELY more "reality" than Alabama

MarketingBully
11-13-2016, 02:11 PM

It also matters when you play Alabama. Saban's record in November has to be pretty impeccable (not counting the first year) with one loss to A&M, two losses to Auburn, and what two losses to LSU in the whole time he has been there?

MarketingBully
11-13-2016, 02:17 PM
I think a lot could be said for how our coaches approached this game. If they approached it like some of our fans did and gave the kids the impression we had no chance, you get the performance you saw yesterday. Judging by Mullen's attitude, I would be willing to bet we prepared more for Arkansas and Ole Miss last week then Alabama. At least from my point of view, that is how we played. Like Mullen said to himself **** it we aren't winning this game so let's prepare to win the next two and make a bowl. From his actions, he had no intention of winning that game yesterday.

yjnkdawg
11-13-2016, 02:39 PM

Not to dispute what you said, but the Bama that has played OM early in the season in those last three games has not been the fine tuned and runnig on all cylinders Bama that teams who play Bama in November face or have faced.

Thick
11-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Is reality the norm or the exception/anomaly? Alabama, and I'm not telling you anything you don't know, is the exception to the rule/norm of every other team on our schedule. A&M, after having watched them play 5-6 times this year, is a team, almost eerily in line with the next two teams we play, hence more "reality".

So, you're premise is actually pretty flawed. From an empirical point of view, A&M, especially when you look at the remainder of our schedule is INFINITELY more "reality" than Alabama

Tripp, I don't give 2 shits what time of the year we play Bama. My point is regardless of how talented or talentless we are, there's no excuse for not getting after them relentlessly. This team beat an overrated aTm team, then turns around and lays down like a $10 whore damn near every year. Vandy and UK play with much more heart and a desire to win. I'm not questioning the loss, I'm questioning our approach and mental preparation for this game. Hell, Mustberger, during the 3rd qtr of the OM/aTm game, said how did aTm lose to MSU? He should ask that question after that 51-3 drilling we took. We go into the Bama week EXPECTING to lose, and that all begins with your coaching staff. You want some reality, 4-8, MAYBE 5-7, but it won't come with an EB win. As much as I want us to finish 6-6, I just don't see it happening. Just my opinion.

RocketDawg
11-13-2016, 03:01 PM
I think a lot could be said for how our coaches approached this game. If they approached it like some of our fans did and gave the kids the impression we had no chance, you get the performance you saw yesterday. Judging by Mullen's attitude, I would be willing to bet we prepared more for Arkansas and Ole Miss last week then Alabama. At least from my point of view, that is how we played. Like Mullen said to himself **** it we aren't winning this game so let's prepare to win the next two and make a bowl. From his actions, he had no intention of winning that game yesterday.

Mullen was just facing reality. We could beat anybody else on our schedule, even this year, with a couple of breaks. It would take a huge number of breaks to beat Saban's Alabama. Way back when, under the Bear, and every coach up until Saban, we had competitive, tight games. We only won a couple of times (80 & 96 as I recall) before Croome won a couple just prior to Saban.

At least Mullen didn't come out looking like the proverbial deer in the headlights like he did in '14. As you said, he looked more calm and pretty much accepting of the fate.

Tripp McNeely
11-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Tripp, I don't give 2 shits what time of the year we play Bama. My point is regardless of how talented or talentless we are, there's no excuse for not getting after them relentlessly. This team beat an overrated aTm team, then turns around and lays down like a $10 whore damn near every year. Vandy and UK play with much more heart and a desire to win. I'm not questioning the loss, I'm questioning our approach and mental preparation for this game. Hell, Mustberger, during the 3rd qtr of the OM/aTm game, said how did aTm lose to MSU? He should ask that question after that 51-3 drilling we took. We go into the Bama week EXPECTING to lose, and that all begins with your coaching staff. You want some reality, 4-8, MAYBE 5-7, but it won't come with an EB win. As much as I want us to finish 6-6, I just don't see it happening. Just my opinion.

But I think your missing the point. It has nothing to do with when we play Bama...just that we PLAY Bama at all. Bama is NOT reality. Texas A&M is much more reality, when you look at the whole of college football than Bama, and A&M is in the top third in terms of difficulty, when you look at our schedule.

So suggesting that our performance against Bama should give us some look-in as to what "reality" is, is not logical. A team like A&M will give you a much better gauge on what the "reality" of our team is

Todd4State
11-13-2016, 03:13 PM
But I think your missing the point. It has nothing to do with when we play Bama...just that we PLAY Bama at all. Bama is NOT reality. Texas A&M is much more reality, when you look at the whole of college football than Bama, and A&M is in the top third in terms of difficulty, when you look at our schedule.

So suggesting that our performance against Bama should give us some look-in as to what "reality" is, is not logical. A team like A&M will give you a much better gauge on what the "reality" of our team is

Alabama 33 Texas A&M 14.

The reality is we weren't going to beat Alabama but the reality is we also should have played better as well.

Thick
11-13-2016, 03:28 PM

Read my post Tripp. It's our approach to the Bama game every year. We don't expect to win it, thus we don't prepare mentally to compete at our highest potential. 51-3 is not competing. Dropping passes is not competing. Moral victories are useless, shameful, and is the mindset of a loser. When the negatives far out perform the positives, then it was a poor performance. If that's MSU's approach to the Bama game, let's save ourselves the embarrassment, forfeit (no injuries), and just prepare for our last 2 games.

Thick
11-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Alabama 33 Texas A&M 14.

The reality is we weren't going to beat Alabama but the reality is we also should have played better as well.

Thank you Todd!!!

Tripp McNeely
11-13-2016, 03:48 PM
Read my post Tripp. It's our approach to the Bama game every year. We don't expect to win it, thus we don't prepare mentally to compete at our highest potential. 51-3 is not competing. Dropping passes is not competing. Moral victories are useless, shameful, and is the mindset of a loser. When the negatives far out perform the positives, then it was a poor performance. If that's MSU's approach to the Bama game, let's save ourselves the embarrassment, forfeit (no injuries), and just prepare for our last 2 games.

Again, is it reality to beat Bama? How many times have they been beaten over the past couple years? Is it realistic to expect to beat them? If you don't think the coaches put together a game plan that they feel gives them the best chance to win, I'm not sure what to say to you? Our game plan was fine yesterday. I had zero issues with it. We lost that game yesterday because of a combination of poor execution and being overwhelmed by talent. Our coaches can have those guys in the best possible mindset and once the "breaks start beating the boys", the talent differential causes a cascade effect, and the floodgates open.

We've "competed" pretty well with those guys over the past couple years, until yesterday...again making this Bama team and our performance yesterday, the exception, not the rule and hence, not reality

Tripp McNeely
11-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Alabama 33 Texas A&M 14.

Explain how that contradicts my point or agrees with the original post...because it does neither. Using "reality" to describe yesterday is a dumb premise, plain and simple

Thick
11-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Agree to disagree.

Todd4State
11-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Explain how that contradicts my point or agrees with the original post...because it does neither. Using "reality" to describe yesterday is a dumb premise, plain and simple

It wasn't trying to contradict your point or totally agree with the OP at all. I'm just saying the truth is somewhere in the middle. We weren't going to win which is true. But we also should have been more competitive than we were too.

Really Clark?
11-13-2016, 04:40 PM
It wasn't trying to contradict your point or totally agree with the OP at all. I'm just saying the truth is somewhere in the middle. We weren't going to win which is true. But we also should have been more competitive than we were too.

Kind of agree. Offensively I think we were competitive early. Hold them to FG on first drive. Bad punt by back up punter and they go up 10-0. We drive down the next possession. Missed FG. Get INT and instead of punting we go for it on 4th down (which I agree with the call) and had the plays open to get a first. We get them 3 and out and then we go three and out. They score we get a big kickoff return but again bad execution and we go for it again inside the 35. They score again to go up 24-0. But we had the opportunities in the first half to score more and put the psyche of the team in a different mindset.

GTHOM
11-13-2016, 10:32 PM

Okay Webster

MarketingBully
11-13-2016, 11:16 PM

We should have at least scored 20 points with a missed field goal and all the WR drops we had (which could have been two TDs easily). If they call any early holds on Bama, the game could have been something like 38-20 which we would have covered but still lost. We are definitely a much better team then the 51-3 loss showed.

Tripp McNeely
11-14-2016, 12:36 AM
Okay Webster

The Thesaurus or this dude?
https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcX0uTSlYYlcASFpx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTIza3 Nwbmp2BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANhZDgyYjg0Zjg1NGI1 MjgyMWU5MjYwMDFmOTIyYzM4NwRncG9zAzI0BGl0A2Jpbmc-?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3Demmanuel%2Blewis%2Bpictures%26fr% 3Diphone%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D24&w=434&h=644&imgurl=images.starpulse.com%2Fpictures%2F2007%2F01 %2F28%2Fpreviews%2FEmmanuel%2520Lewis-SGG-031759.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.starpulse.com%2FActors%2FLew is%2C_Emmanuel%2Fgallery%2FSGG-031759%2F&size=51.2KB&name=+%3Cb%3EEmmanuel+Lewis+Pictures%3C%2Fb%3E+%26 amp%3B+Photos&p=emmanuel+lewis+pictures&oid=ad82b84f854b52821e926001f922c387&fr2=piv-web&fr=iphone&tt=+%3Cb%3EEmmanuel+Lewis+Pictures%3C%2Fb%3E+%26am p%3B+Photos&b=0&ni=21&no=24&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=123i7s0bc&sigb=13f9ble3r&sigi=12h7fqs5j&sigt=11culuj5k&sign=11culuj5k&.crumb=VjbMs1WjkRt&fr=iphone&fr2=piv-web

GTHOM
11-14-2016, 02:02 AM
The Thesaurus or this dude?
https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcX0uTSlYYlcASFpx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTIza3 Nwbmp2BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANhZDgyYjg0Zjg1NGI1 MjgyMWU5MjYwMDFmOTIyYzM4NwRncG9zAzI0BGl0A2Jpbmc-?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3Demmanuel%2Blewis%2Bpictures%26fr% 3Diphone%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D24&w=434&h=644&imgurl=images.starpulse.com%2Fpictures%2F2007%2F01 %2F28%2Fpreviews%2FEmmanuel%2520Lewis-SGG-031759.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.starpulse.com%2FActors%2FLew is%2C_Emmanuel%2Fgallery%2FSGG-031759%2F&size=51.2KB&name=+%3Cb%3EEmmanuel+Lewis+Pictures%3C%2Fb%3E+%26 amp%3B+Photos&p=emmanuel+lewis+pictures&oid=ad82b84f854b52821e926001f922c387&fr2=piv-web&fr=iphone&tt=+%3Cb%3EEmmanuel+Lewis+Pictures%3C%2Fb%3E+%26am p%3B+Photos&b=0&ni=21&no=24&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=123i7s0bc&sigb=13f9ble3r&sigi=12h7fqs5j&sigt=11culuj5k&sign=11culuj5k&.crumb=VjbMs1WjkRt&fr=iphone&fr2=piv-web

The dictionary not Thesaurus haha

Dawgfan01
11-14-2016, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=Gutter Cobreh;649424]We seem to get star struck when we enter Bryant Denny. It's a tough place to play, especially with a shaky secondary.

Bama's defense is probably the best in school history. It all adds up to what we say today.

I don't out a whole lot of stock in the loss or how bad it was. The key is how we respond against Ark and OM[/QUOTE
I would point out that most all teams with no pass rush whatsoever will give give up a lot of passing yards. That 3-4 will never generate pressue because we dont have the talent to run it. Need to go back to 4-3 asap

Barking 13
11-14-2016, 08:51 AM
We should have at least scored 20 points with a missed field goal and all the WR drops we had (which could have been two TDs easily). If they call any early holds on Bama, the game could have been something like 38-20 which we would have covered but still lost. We are definitely a much better team then the 51-3 loss showed.

Agree, we had opportunities, but pissed them away...