PDA

View Full Version : Game Take-aways

Johnson85
09-01-2013, 11:18 PM
(1) I have lost faith in Dan Mullen. I've defended him consistently. I really thought that we were paying for him being an idiot in recruiting for a couple of years, but that he had turned the corner and that we were going to start seeing improvement this year. To come out with the exact same problems with playcalling tells me he can't or won't fix this problem. He may just need superior athletes to run an offense (which he is unlikely to get here). I think he could do well at an established program managing a team. But he's not a stellar recruiter and apparently he's not even a particularly good offensive coach. We're never going to have the budget to pya him and pay an outstanding offensive and defensive coordinator and great recruiters.

(2) Josh Robinson is better than Ladarius Perkins. I think most State fans have a player that they are way too hard on and are critical to the point they can't even appreciate the things they can do, or have trouble remembering that he's the best option available and is in reality an over achiever that you would love if you were coaching him (Tyson Lee). Ladarius Perkins is my irrational hatred guy. I hate watching him run the ball when it's not after a catch. I understand trying to be patient, but it looks like he waits for a whole that never develops and then he seems to go down so easy. He's clearly busted his ass since he's been at State and there's nothing apparent that he could do to get better that he's not doing, but I want him to be nothing but a third down back.

(3) Tyler Russell deserves better. Tyler has stuck it out at State and waited his turn and now he's not being given a chance to be successful. He made some bad plays, but overall, he wasn't given a chance to win. We started calling plays to avoid getting blown out in the first half, when we should have been competing to win the ballgame. If you can't trust your 5th year Senior QB to try to win the game, it's time to bench him and start playing for next year. We either need to give Russell a chance or put him on the bench and let Dak develop.

(4) We can't even run the read option with Prescott. I don't know what the problem is, but when other teams run these read plays, there is usually at least on person committed to the person that doesn't get the ball. The ball is gone for more than a split second before they can adjust and go after the ball carrier. That doesn't happen with us. They player that should be held doesn't have trouble immediately going after the ball carrier as soon as the decision is made. Either Dak is making awful reads or he needs to spend a whole week doing nothing but working on fakes.

(5) I'm ready to schedule a game like OkSt. every year, and preferably two of them unless and until Mullen puts it together. I was against playing this game because I thought it was going to take another year before we had completely recovered from Mullen trying to recruit cleanly for a couple of years. But it wasn't talent, but coaching that did us in. Mullen either needs to fix the offense or get fired. I don't want him to keep going 6-6 and 7-5 if that's his ceiling going forward even with 4 pushovers in OOC. If he gets his shit together on offense, we can still go to bowls playing games like this. If he doesn't, we need to move in another direction, and I'm not sure we'll ever fire a coach at MSU after going to a bowl game.

Sorry for yet another thread with one person's thoughts. Tried to stick it in an existing thread earlier today, but apparently screwed it up.