PDA

View Full Version : Another thread about the offense...

CadaverDawg
09-01-2013, 10:51 PM
We've talked a lot about how predictable the offense was, and how poorly Russell played after those first few series. But I want to get into this play calling a little more deeply.

Do you guys realize that we didn't run a screen, a reverse, a toss sweep, or a hand off from under center? We didn't run a pass pattern beyond 15 yards until the 3rd or 4th quarter, and damn near every route was a comeback route that provided no run after the catch.

What the hell are we doing? You couldn't draw up a worse offensive game plan if you had an hour to prepare for the game....we had ALL OFF SEASON! Seriously, what the hell? It is beyond me how the best running play we can come up with is Perkins draw left, and Perkins draw right. Les Koenning should have been fired on the spot. And for everyone saying "it's Mullen calling the plays, or it's Mullen's offense", that's fine....but Koenning should have still been fired because if Dan had any pride he would have at least wanted a scapegoat for that horseshit of an offensive gameplan.

I seriously feel like Mullen and Les sit over there and say..."I bet they'll never expect us to run Perkins in the same spot again on 2nd down." And then...."Haha this will **** them up Dan, let's run it a third time and see their heads explode!" I mean, I have not seen such incompetence by an offensive staff since I do not know when. Even Croom would have just lined up and pounded the rock with a fullback as a lead blocker. But we looked like we just quit offensively after the INT. I'm just really confused as to who the hell is calling the plays, and what in the hell they are thinking, because we are beyond terrible at getting playmakers the ball and we could not be easier to defend. The whole idea is to make a defense work to stop you, but we don't even try. And then when we finally do have success on the draw play, we run it again EVERY SINGLE TIME on the very next play....as if the ****ing defense didn't realize it worked too and prepare to stop it.

I'm not as pissed at the overall performance as some are....but I just cannot wrap my head around this play calling. Was Mullen even in attendance for the Gator Bowl versus Michigan? THAT was play calling. Now, we have about 2 run plays and 4 pass plays....that's it. Unreal. I'm sorry for getting fiired back up, but Im trying to see if everyone is seeing the same shit I am.

godlluB
09-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Preach it.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2013, 11:17 PM
We've talked a lot about how predictable the offense was, and how poorly Russell played after those first few series. But I want to get into this play calling a little more deeply.

Do you guys realize that we didn't run a screen, a reverse, a toss sweep, or a hand off from under center? We didn't run a pass pattern beyond 15 yards until the 3rd or 4th quarter, and damn near every route was a comeback route that provided no run after the catch.

What the hell are we doing? You couldn't draw up a worse offensive game plan if you had an hour to prepare for the game....we had ALL OFF SEASON! Seriously, what the hell? It is beyond me how the best running play we can come up with is Perkins draw left, and Perkins draw right. Les Koenning should have been fired on the spot. And for everyone saying "it's Mullen calling the plays, or it's Mullen's offense", that's fine....but Koenning should have still been fired because if Dan had any pride he would have at least wanted a scapegoat for that horseshit of an offensive gameplan.

I seriously feel like Mullen and Les sit over there and say..."I bet they'll never expect us to run Perkins in the same spot again on 2nd down." And then...."Haha this will **** them up Dan, let's run it a third time and see their heads explode!" I mean, I have not seen such incompetence by an offensive staff since I do not know when. Even Croom would have just lined up and pounded the rock with a fullback as a lead blocker. But we looked like we just quit offensively after the INT. I'm just really confused as to who the hell is calling the plays, and what in the hell they are thinking, because we are beyond terrible at getting playmakers the ball and we could not be easier to defend. The whole idea is to make a defense work to stop you, but we don't even try. And then when we finally do have success on the draw play, we run it again EVERY SINGLE TIME on the very next play....as if the ****ing defense didn't realize it worked too and prepare to stop it.

I'm not as pissed at the overall performance as some are....but I just cannot wrap my head around this play calling. Was Mullen even in attendance for the Gator Bowl versus Michigan? THAT was play calling. Now, we have about 2 run plays and 4 pass plays....that's it. Unreal. I'm sorry for getting fiired back up, but Im trying to see if everyone is seeing the same shit I am.

I hear you Cadaver!

Answer this though: What I am having trouble with is understanding why Mullen is doing this. This is the guy that ran a reverse with Chad Bumphis as his first play ever at MSU. This is the coach that ran the craziest offensive formation I've ever seen a few years ago against Bama with Favre.

Wasn't Dan aggressive when he first got here? What has happened? It doesn't seem like this type of offense even fits his personality.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2013, 11:19 PM
I hear you Cadaver!

Answer this though: What I am having trouble with is understanding why Mullen is doing this. This is the guy that ran a reverse with Chad Bumphis as his first play ever at MSU. This is the coach that ran the craziest offensive formation I've ever seen a few years ago against Bama with Favre.

Wasn't Dan aggressive when he first got here? What has happened? It doesn't seem like this type of offense even fits his personality.

Exactly. I'm just so confused. Do we really know exactly who is calling each play? Because this style of play has old man Les written all over it. But if Mullen is sitting back and allowing it, he is just as guilty

Bent Bulldawg
09-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Cadaver, your post is just exactly what my friends and I have been screaming at each other to the point of being ridiculous. Koenning has got to Go! I love Dan the Man, but keeping Koenning much longer will cause me to lose all respect for him. That "Bet the don't think we'll run the same play again" thing is precisely what I've been thinking HAS to be the rationale for such unbelievably predictable play-calling.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-01-2013, 11:43 PM
asked me if this is all we had on offense. And why did we always throw to Lewis who either fell down or dropped the ball. I could only shake my head in frustation and disbelief.

It_Could_Happen
09-02-2013, 12:06 AM

That basically sums it up.

MSUDeltadawg1971
09-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Who was our offensive coordinator when Dan started? That might be the answer!

DogBanker
09-02-2013, 05:31 PM
When we went under center, Russell slipped and fell. The guy has never played under centered before. When he was at Meridian he played in a pass first spread, now here we are trying to get him in the run first spread he just can't do it.

And let me be clear about Hudspeth...if the guy was such an offensive genius, don't you think he'd put up more then 14 points on Arkansas? ****ing Arkansas?! Hell, Will Freeman turned him down to go play at USM. All those connections and he couldn't pull him. Look I like the guy, but take a step back and look at his offenses at ULL. I'm tired of people tearing down coaches at this university because they don't get what they want. It's a certain group of people making this claim because they don't like Mullen. It's a damn shame and it happens everytime at State

MSUDeltadawg1971
09-02-2013, 05:50 PM
I never said I didn't like Mullen, but when Hudspeth was the OC we put up points, and if he would have been here Saturday as the OC we would have put up more than 3 and a turd. Whatever we have going on now is not working. For 1.5 million or whatever our HC makes and 300 or whatever thousand that Koenig makes, yes, as long as I donate money to the bulldog club, you're damn right I want accountability. And as far as HUD putting up 14 on Arkansas, I hope like hell we can at least score against Arkansas. Nothing I've seen since the we believe shit makes me think we can.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2013, 05:59 PM
I never said I didn't like Mullen, but when Hudspeth was the OC we put up points, and if he would have been here Saturday as the OC we would have put up more than 3 and a turd. Whatever we have going on now is not working. For 1.5 million or whatever our HC makes and 300 or whatever thousand that Koenig makes, yes, as long as I donate money to the bulldog club, you're damn right I want accountability. And as far as HUD putting up 14 on Arkansas, I hope like hell we can at least score against Arkansas. Nothing I've seen since the we believe shit makes me think we can.

This post is so full of FAIL I don't know where to begin. First, Hud was NEVER our OC. It has been Les since Day 1 of Mullen's arrival. Hud was the "passing game coordinator," meaning he had input into game plans. But as far as calling plays, he was never involved. I swear, The Legend of Hud has become ridiculous. It's a coincidence that offense production dropped when he left. Hell, the best game our WRs had was the '11 Gator Bowl and Hud hadn't coached them for a month before that game.

MSUDeltadawg1971
09-02-2013, 06:07 PM
This post is so full of FAIL I don't know where to begin. First, Hud was NEVER our OC. It has been Les since Day 1 of Mullen's arrival. Hud was the "passing game coordinator," meaning he had input into game plans. But as far as calling plays, he was never involved. I swear, The Legend of Hud has become ridiculous. It's a coincidence that offense production dropped when he left. Hell, the best game our WRs had was the '11 Gator Bowl and Hud hadn't coached them for a month before that game.

Well it must not of been so full of fail, because after you said you didn't know where to start you stared with, First, HUD was NEVER our OC.

Granted, I made a mistake there, but Koenig or Mullen, whoever is calling the plays is failing. Either by not having the right person behind center or just flat out sucks at play calling. No creativity at all and they had all year to fix it. OSU adjusted and we never did. They figured out we were going to run behind or guard every time and they stuffed it every time.