PDA

View Full Version : Late 90s and 2000

BB30
11-11-2016, 03:14 PM
I am sure it has been discussed before, had we been able to win the west in back to back to back years (98,99,2000) Do you think we would have finally broken through and remained a contender? Or do you think things would have still fallen apart the way they did? We were so close to getting it done, those were some of my first solid memories of being a dog as I was 8 in 98. One of my favorite memories of all time was the win over UF in Starkville in 2000 with Smoot and co. We had Florida fans staying with us and I can remember the arrogance they had before the game. They ended up leaving that night after the game to head back to Florida instead of staying like planned. It was glorious.

cujo
11-11-2016, 03:20 PM
I am sure it has been discussed before, had we been able to win the west in back to back to back years (98,99,2000) Do you think we would have finally broken through and remained a contender? Or do you think things would have still fallen apart the way they did? We were so close to getting it done, those were some of my first solid memories of being a dog as I was 8 in 98. One of my favorite memories of all time was the win over UF in Starkville in 2000 with Smoot and co. We had Florida fans staying with us and I can remember the arrogance they had before the game. They ended up leaving that night after the game to head back to Florida instead of staying like planned. It was glorious.

All we had to do was beat Arky & OM to close out the season and we were favored in both. Of course, we won neither.

4suredog
11-11-2016, 03:33 PM
I would say it may not have mattered because of LT..... Think about what we had already done across all sports ( 2 sweet 16's and the final 4, 2-3 trips to Omaha, doubles nat champ in tennis, etc...)and still nothing in the way of facility upgrades, marketing and PR. So, I'm not sure it would be much difference in where we are today.....

Todd4State
11-11-2016, 03:43 PM
I think we would still be about where we are now. The JUCO heavy model plus a general lack of discipline on the field was not a sustainable model for us.

Liverpooldawg
11-11-2016, 03:45 PM

No. The NCAA was out to get Jackie. That investigation and the relentless coverage of it by the in state media did get him.

anubus
11-11-2016, 05:11 PM

Remember watching that game in a sports bar in jax fl with relatives who came in from Memphis surrounded by mouthy gator fans who started whining and bitching by the 4th qtr now that was GLORIOUS (we all wished we were there)