PDA

View Full Version : Martinas Rankin...

DeviousDawg
11-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Before the season started I said that he will be the first Mullen OL recruit to be drafted, and I still believe it. I also said red shirting him was the right call, and I still believe it was. He needed that year to get stronger. Without it I believe he would still be where he is right now, but he would only have 3 or 4 games left, and would most likely be an undrafted free agent. If he continues to show out down the stretch this year, I think he has a good chance of getting some looks at pre season all SEC for the 2017 season. With all this said, I believe he will be a 4th-6th round pick in the 2018 NFL draft. He won SEC offensive lineman of the week this week against a Texas A&M defensive line that has 2-3 NFL ready guys right now.

Give credit where it's due, and let's stop the Rankin is a bust talk.

PassInterference
11-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Like a lot of other people on the team, he's crapped up the field and had one good game last week. I'll let it play out.

Todd4State
11-10-2016, 07:22 PM
I agree with PI. I want so see how he finishes out although I think he does well.

msbulldog
11-10-2016, 07:23 PM
I sure did like that pancake block he did last weekend. I think he's just getting his feet under him. I look for him to improve every game.

DeviousDawg
11-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Like a lot of other people on the team, he's crapped up the field and had one good game last week. I'll let it play out.

The point is, he showed his potential last weekend and proved that he has NFL talent. I'd be surprised if you see him play poorly for the rest of the season. With JUCO guys, you usually see a period of acclimation, and then one game it all just clicks. I think he has finally learned the offense and can now focus on making blocks instead of remembering his assignment. We still have a full year with him. I'll bookmark this thread, he will be drafted.

bulldawg28
11-10-2016, 08:07 PM
To me he looked out of shape earlier in the year. Mental and physical busts happen when your tired. He showed both earlier. I think he'll be outstanding next year with an offseason of film and motivation going forward. We're going to be a really good team next year.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-10-2016, 08:39 PM
We didn't redshirt Slay his first year did we? If I remember correctly, I don't think we did and I remember him stepping up with about 4-5 games left in his career and wishing he had more time with us.

BrunswickDawg
11-10-2016, 08:54 PM
We didn't redshirt Slay his first year did we? If I remember correctly, I don't think we did and I remember him stepping up with about 4-5 games left in his career and wishing he had more time with us.
He did not RS. Slay finally clicked in during the UGA game his 1st year - which was the 5th game of the season. Difference is he had deep secondary in front of him in the depth chart with Banks, Mitchell and Broomfield.

fader2103
11-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Now y'all know this would keep Hev around a few more years by all these posts******

Leroy Jenkins
11-10-2016, 09:14 PM
How many snaps did Myles Garret play? I know initially the game plan was he was only going to play 3rd down because he was gimped up. Then he got hurt again.

DeviousDawg
11-10-2016, 09:15 PM

Yep, same story as Darrion Hutcherson. Didn't redshirt him his junior year in which he recorded zero receptions. He then struggled for the first half of his senior season before the light came on and he was a stud in the last few games of his senior season. If we had redshirted him he would be our starting TE right now.

bulldawg28
11-10-2016, 09:20 PM
Now y'all know this would keep Hev around a few more years by all these posts******

Lol...true.

Political Hack
11-10-2016, 09:47 PM
He's moving in the right direction. If he keeps it up, people will notice. He's got 3 more SEC West games to prove it.

Todd4State
11-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Yep, same story as Darrion Hutcherson. Didn't redshirt him his junior year in which he recorded zero receptions. He then struggled for the first half of his senior season before the light came on and he was a stud in the last few games of his senior season. If we had redshirted him he would be our starting TE right now.

That's the problem with JUCO's. By the time the light comes on about 1/4 of their career is over. And we need these JUCO's that we're getting to have their lights come on pretty quickly next year. Especially on the o-line.

Leroy Jenkins
11-10-2016, 10:24 PM
That's the problem with JUCO's. By the time the light comes on about 1/4 of their career is over. And we need these JUCO's that we're getting to have their lights come on pretty quickly next year. Especially on the o-line.

I don't buy that every player we sign can't "get it" until they are an upperclassman. We hear this with RBs all the time. "He's still learning the position". Either we have the Mandarin Chinese of offenses or the coaches ain't getting it done.

msstate7
11-10-2016, 10:27 PM
I don't buy that every player we sign can't "get it" until they are an upperclassman. We hear this with RBs all the time. "He's still learning the position". Either we have the Mandarin Chinese of offenses or the coaches ain't getting it done.

We actually do have a pretty complex offense. Dak credited his quick adjustment to our offense being very close to a pro one. Might not be a bad idea to simplify it some

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Vick Ballard grasped it pretty damn quick.

Jeffrey Simmons grasped it pretty damn quick. I realize he isn't a JUCO, but JUCO is closer the SEC than Noxubee County.

Marquiss Spencer grasped it quickly

msstate7
11-10-2016, 10:41 PM

Jeffrey Simmons grasped it pretty damn quick. I realize he isn't a JUCO, but JUCO is closer the SEC than Noxubee County.

Ballard certainly did. I don't think Simmons and Spencer play offense though

Bass Chaser
11-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Here's what I have a hard time grasping. He was the #1 JUCO OT, enrolled in January 2015, redshirted, and now the light has come on with 3 games to play in 2016. Something doesn't add up.

Todd4State
11-10-2016, 10:54 PM

True. He wouldn't have been any worse than Warren last year. Aeris is proving that line from the coaches was BS.

Leroy Jenkins
11-10-2016, 10:55 PM

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the wrost. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2016, 11:06 PM
Here's what I have a hard time grasping. He was the #1 JUCO OT, enrolled in January 2015, redshirted, and now the light has come on with 3 games to play in 2016. Something doesn't add up.

What doesn't add up?

JUCO football is a poor brand of football.

Within the general population of humans, a very small percentage of people actually have the combination of size & athleticism to play offensive tackle at the D1 level. Due to that, most everyone of them are offered D1 scholarships out of high school.

Additionally, when compared to other positions, with the exception of QB, offensive linemen are known to be the most intelligent & have the highest GPAs on most football teams. Therefore, when compared to other positions in Mississippi, OL are more likely to qualify for a D1 school our of high school.

So, to review, we have a very small amount of capable humans in which every D1 school in the country is desperately seeking & most all of these humans qualify out of high school.

All this leads to 1 question: How many capable D1 offensive tackles do you think actually make it JUCO?

This probably explains why the number 1 OT in JUCO could be a project type guy that may or may not make it.

Over the next week in your daily life, count how many 6'4"+ 280+ pound people with light feet that you see

Bass Chaser
11-10-2016, 11:32 PM
^^Did you really just contradict yourself?

DeviousDawg
11-10-2016, 11:37 PM

Vick Ballard also had NFL talent and was strong enough to take an SEC beating without a redshirt year.

Simmons is a 3 and out guy and would be on the field as a true freshman for any team in the country. He also has NFL strength as a true freshman.

Marquiss Spencer would be redshirting if Will Coleman hadn't got hurt early in training camp. When he went down Spencer knew he would be playing as a true freshman. He is playing out of necessity. Also, he has NFL talent and athleticism for his size, and that never hurts.

The thing is, all 3 of those guys are anomalies rather than normalities. Its not just at State that you see JUCO guys redshirting, it has been a common trend throughout the country recently. For instance, two Mississippi JUCO OL guys Brandon Hodges and Avery Gennessy both redshirted their first year's at Texas and Texas A&M respectively. Hodges is now starting at right tackle for Texas in his RS-JR year and Gennessy has started at left tackle for Texas A&M both his RS-JR and RS-SR seasons. Both will also be draft picks.

College offenses have become 10 times more complicated than they were in the Sherrill years. Unfortunately, Mississippi high schools and junior colleges have not caught up. JUCO OL recruits can rely on their talent and size adavantages, rather than technique, to succeed at the JUCO level. If you want to get the most out of these guys, a redshirt year to learn the playbook, master technique and gain strength is almost required. These guys have to be able to run block AND pass block if they want to be successful in a P5 offense. Who is the only JUCO OL that Mullen has signed that played his first year without a redshirt? Charles Siddoway. Where did he play JUCO ball? California. What is even more interesting is that he redshirted his freshman year at his junior college in California, so he was there for 3 seasons and probably would have redshirted at State his junior year had he not redshirted in JUCO.

DeviousDawg
11-10-2016, 11:59 PM
What doesn't add up?
Within the general population of humans, a very small percentage of people actually have the combination of size & athleticism to play offensive tackle at the D1 level. Due to that, most everyone of them are offered D1 scholarships out of high school.

Damien Robinson approves this message. Size is only a requirement, not an indicator of talent.

louisvilledawg
11-11-2016, 09:23 AM
Damien Robinson approves this message. Size is only a requirement, not an indicator of talent.

He could, quite literally, be the biggest bust in MSU history

HereComesTheSpiral
11-11-2016, 09:41 AM
He could, quite literally, be the biggest bust in MSU history

Templeton Hardy says hold up on that prediction.

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Templeton Hardy says hold up on that prediction.

Quay Evans says WTF y'all looking at?

HereComesTheSpiral
11-11-2016, 09:52 AM

At least Quay played for 1 year.

louisvilledawg
11-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Robinson is 6'6" 340. Both Hardy and Evans are smaller. i win. suck it losers.

Jack Lambert
11-11-2016, 11:05 AM

One game against a D line full of 4 and 5 stars. Why can't you folks be positive? Is it the Miss State of Mind?

bulldawg28
11-11-2016, 11:14 AM
One game against a D line full of 4 and 5 stars. Why can't you folks be positive? Is it the Miss State of Mind?

Yes. Losing is contagious and hard to shake even with years of winning.

tcdog70
11-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Rodney Hudson-all time biggest bust