PDA

View Full Version : What if we were in a similar position to OM with regards to QB?

Dawgfan61
11-08-2016, 05:20 PM
What if we were in a similar position to OM with regards to QB? Obviously no two situations are the same, but lets fast forward to next year and Damian has transferred. We started out the year with high hopes and we are at 4-5 with 3 games to play 2 being "winnable". Fitz gets hurt and Tiano hasn't been awesome and has played sparingly, like Pellerin. Keytaeon is being redshirted. Do we pull the redshirt off Keytaeon and play him?

I say the answer is a clear and resounding NO, unless Tiano gets hurt and we have no other body including walk-ons like Wyatt Roberts. My feeling is State fans unlike Ole Miss fans, would be pragmatic and rather have the extra year of development for Keytaeon. In short, we are not so delusional that we think Keytaeon is the best QB we have ever had before he plays a single snap, like they have been telling us about Patterson for 2 years.

Count Istvan Teleky
11-08-2016, 05:49 PM
What if we were in a similar position to OM with regards to QB? Obviously no two situations are the same, but lets fast forward to next year and Damian has transferred. We started out the year with high hopes and we are at 4-5 with 3 games to play 2 being "winnable". Fitz gets hurt and Tiano hasn't been awesome and has played sparingly, like Pellerin. Keytaeon is being redshirted. Do we pull the redshirt off Keytaeon and play him?

I say the answer is a clear and resounding NO, unless Tiano gets hurt and we have no other body including walk-ons like Wyatt Roberts. My feeling is State fans unlike Ole Miss fans, would be pragmatic and rather have the extra year of development for Keytaeon. In short, we are not so delusional that we think Keytaeon is the best QB we have ever had before he plays a single snap, like they have been telling us about Patterson for 2 years.

if the Egg Bowl is winnable, take off the shirt and win that game.

starkvegasdawg
11-08-2016, 05:57 PM
No way I burn his RS. You've got to keep the big picture in mind. No way I hurt the future of the program just because I'm playing TSUN.

I_Spy
11-08-2016, 05:58 PM
I believe state fans would say pull the shirt and recruit better like we did 2 years ago, go all true freshman if needed we can't watch it. Start Dak now and so on.

And we do have 'that gap' because of it or we have proven what we'd do and we woooooooon the egg bowl

Spiderman
11-08-2016, 06:00 PM

Hell yes.

If Sha Na Na is all he's cracked up to be, and I had to win 2 of the last 3 to make a bowl, he would play.

Freeze, and Mullen are paid a hell of a lot to win games and go to bowls. Not worry about, or do, anything else. Period.

The damn world my end in March, who knows? Play for today.

Just win, baby.

archdog
11-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Why not play for today? Can we win the game, and we are still bowl eligible, heck yeah burn it.

Chances are you will have the next stud qb stuck on the bench a year longer burning eligibility 3 years from now. Also, redshirting hurts recruiting alot of times. If we want the blue chips at qb, having a redshirt junior that has 4 years experience on roster probably scares away the 5* kids.

Todd4State
11-08-2016, 07:24 PM
The fact that this is the last year Ole Miss can make a bowl for a few years also has to factor in at some point. Honestly IF we were about to be put on probation I would probably burn the guys redshirt. Normally I would say just keep the guy redshirted at this point because we could go to a bowl the next four years but since the question was to compare with Ole Miss's situation the pending sanctions had to be factored in.

If they don't redshirt Patterson this year there is a good chance Patterson won't play in a bowl if he stays at Ole Miss.

TNDawg35
11-09-2016, 08:00 AM
We can sit here and talk all we want about pulling a redshirt or do this and that. I just find it hard to believe the all world QB he is suppose to be is even red shirting... I mean its not like if he is that damn great they are gonna hold him around for the next 4 yrs. Dude will pack his shit and be gone as quick as he can, if he is really that good. We all know how all these talented athletes they sign work out for them in the NFL tho, (see 2016 draft) Yes, Swag Kelly is/was good, but we all know he can also cost you some games. Why not be getting Patterson some snaps and have him ready for either a situation like this or if Swag was throwing pick after pick.

I still think that dude is being held out due to the NCAA and if we see him, its cause they have said to hell with the NCAA and were playing him. The Grove is fixin to fall.... I do need some good oak limbs to brush a few duck blinds...

Dolphus Raymond
11-09-2016, 09:16 AM
If I thought the QB in question could help us win, then I would absolutely pull the redshirt. However, how many 18year old true freshman QB's are far enough along development wise to contribute in SEC play?

smootness
11-09-2016, 09:27 AM
First, it depends. Do our coaches think Thompson is a 5-year player? Do they think Tiano still has a future with us? Those are important questions that we can't answer definitively at this point. I would not be in favor of burning his redshirt if Thompson is not someone we think has a good chance to leave by his RS Jr year, or if we think Tiano can still be the guy for us going forward.

Second, yes, we absolutely would be arguing to play Thompson and not redshirt him if he was the #1 QB in the country and a top-5 overall player in the class. Even though Thompson is highly regarded and we like his fit for our system, let's not pretend we wouldn't be viewing him the same way they view Patterson if he came with Patterson's reputation.

Leroy Jenkins
11-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Redshirts only apply if you assume a guy is a 5 year guy. If he is not a 5 year guy why the shirt?