PDA

View Full Version : Closing out the 2017 MSU Recruiting Class

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 10:21 AM
I was just sitting here thinking about recruiting & we are really down to the home stretch. We currently have 20 commits. I think we end up with 29-30 in this class. Here is a breakdown of where I think we are right now. Of course more names will continue to pop up.

QB - Keytaon Thompson (Done)

RB - Kylin Hill (Would take Clyde Edwards-Helaire & I think that is becoming more & more likely)

WR - Austin Williams, Monterio Hunt (Will take 1 more would take 2 if we can get the right 2. Most likely is Stephen Guidry with a shot at Racey McMath)

TE - Ravian Pierce (Done will have to fight to keep Ravian but we're holding on so far)

OL - Cordavian Suggs, Montravious Richardson, Paul Gainer, Tommy Champion, Tyre Phillips (Need 2 more OL. I hope we go with 2 more HS & not another Juco. D'Marcus Hayes, Toryque Bateman, Saadhiq Charles, Jordan Tucker, Jordan Carty, Jerry Drake)

DL/Viper - Deion Pope, James Jackson, Lee Autry, Montez Sweat, Aaron Odom, Deandre Johnson (We will likely take 1 more DL. George Ellis, BJ Sharpe, Markel Winters)

LB - Tyler Dunning (We will take 2 more LB. 1 HS & 1 Juco. Willie Gay, Shannon Reid, DQ Thomas, Shane Schuback, Adonis Thomas, Eldridge Thompson)

DB - Tyler Williams, Landon Guidry, Kaleb Oliver (We will take 1 more HS Safety, 1 more Juco Safety, & 2 more Juco CB if we can get them. CJ Avery, Jaquarious Landrews, Johnathan Abrams, Keisean Nixon, Dante Wigley)

K - None (We have offered a couple of kickers & wouldn't surprise me to see us offer another couple. Joseph Bulovas)

Of course I'm sure I missed some guys. Just something to do on a bored day at work.

jumbo
11-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Just something to do on a bored day at work.

Give up some of the play calling and now you're bored?

vv83
11-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Give up some of the play calling and now you're bored?

haha i chuckled

louisvilledawg
11-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Whatever happened to Kymbotric Mason?

Ari Gold
11-08-2016, 10:45 AM
I was just sitting here thinking about recruiting & we are really down to the home stretch. We currently have 20 commits. I think we end up with 29-30 in this class. Here is a breakdown of where I think we are right now. Of course more names will continue to pop up.

QB - Keytaon Thompson (Done)

RB - Kylin Hill (Would take Clyde Edwards-Helaire & I think that is becoming more & more likely)

WR - Austin Williams, Monterio Hunt (Will take 1 more would take 2 if we can get the right 2. Most likely is Stephen Guidry with a shot at Racey McMath)

TE - Ravian Pierce (Done will have to fight to keep Ravian but we're holding on so far)

OL - Cordavian Suggs, Montravious Richardson, Paul Gainer, Tommy Champion, Tyre Phillips (Need 2 more OL. I hope we go with 2 more HS & not another Juco. D'Marcus Hayes, Toryque Bateman, Saadhiq Charles, Jordan Tucker, Jordan Carty, Jerry Drake)

DL/Viper - Deion Pope, James Jackson, Lee Autry, Montez Sweat, Aaron Odom, Deandre Johnson (We will likely take 1 more DL. George Ellis, BJ Sharpe, Markel Winters)

LB - Tyler Dunning (We will take 2 more LB. 1 HS & 1 Juco. Willie Gay, Shannon Reid, DQ Thomas, Shane Schuback, Adonis Thomas, Eldridge Thompson)

DB - Tyler Williams, Landon Guidry, Kaleb Oliver (We will take 1 more HS Safety, 1 more Juco Safety, & 2 more Juco CB if we can get them. CJ Avery, Jaquarious Landrews, Johnathan Abrams, Keisean Nixon, Dante Wigley)

K - None (We have offered a couple of kickers & wouldn't surprise me to see us offer another couple. Joseph Bulovas)

Of course I'm sure I missed some guys. Just something to do on a bored day at work.

You can Add Brian Cole the DB list ... EMCC / Michigan out of high school...

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Whatever happened to Kymbotric Mason?

He just was never high on the board.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 10:52 AM
You can Add Brian Cole the DB list ... EMCC / Michigan out of high school...

Thanks I knew we had been in contact but I wasn't sure how much the interest was on either side. Also not sure who's more wanted Cole or Landrews. I know Abrams is most wanted but that's trending the wrong way again.

Ari Gold
11-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks I knew we had been in contact but I wasn't sure how much the interest was on either side. Also not sure who's more wanted Cole or Landrews. I know Abrams is most wanted but that's trending the wrong way again.

Correct with JAbrams
Both are takes with Cole and Landrews.
If we could pull Cole and Nixon that would be huge.

HoopsDawg
11-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Really need a good safety to replace Coman and play with McLaurin next year. I hate to hear that about Abrams. Guidry is almost a must have with Ross graduating. And obviously need at least 1 of those 2 JC corners preferably 2. I'd love to close O-line recruiting with Charles and Tucker.

louisvilledawg
11-08-2016, 11:24 AM
He just was never high on the board.

Gotcha. I figured as much, it just shows as an offer on 247 and i knew he had the deal where he put out he committed to us a few months back

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Correct with JAbrams
Both are takes with Cole and Landrews.
If we could pull Cole and Nixon that would be huge.

Nixon is arguably the top guy left IMO. I think that kid has Sunday talent. He steps in day 1 the most talented CB on the roster.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Really need a good safety to replace Coman and play with McLaurin next year. I hate to hear that about Abrams. Guidry is almost a must have with Ross graduating. And obviously need at least 1 of those 2 JC corners preferably 2. I'd love to close O-line recruiting with Charles and Tucker.

Yea we do need a Juco Safety. I think Guidry is pretty much a done deal. I've said before but a 2 deep next year of Couch, Gray, Guidry, & Todd on the outside with Dear & Mixon in the slot is very very formidable. On the OL we have to find a way to get 2 out of Tucker, Charles, Bateman, & Drake.

Cary Hudson's little bro
11-08-2016, 12:05 PM
If Brian Cole got help while in Scooba then he would be an incredible pickup. He's from Michigan, so maybe he likes MS now after being at EMCC. I trust Buckley to judge his character.

Cary Hudson's little bro
11-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Our WR class this year is weak pending Guidry and McMath...Couch and Todd will be unknowns heading into next year. Got to get Guidry.

DudyDawg
11-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Is that Autry related to our raiders Autry?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Is that Autry related to our raiders Autry?

His brother.

DeviousDawg
11-08-2016, 12:20 PM
It is refreshing to have a big group of OL committed early. So tired of scrambling in January. Close out with a couple of more on our target list and I think we will have signed our best OL class under Mullen.

Bothrops
11-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Nixon is arguably the top guy left IMO. I think that kid has Sunday talent. He steps in day 1 the most talented CB on the roster.

Isn't there a coaching connection with Nixon? Will he visit?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 12:23 PM

Scheduled to visit in December.

tcdog70
11-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Gotcha. I figured as much, it just shows as an offer on 247 and i knew he had the deal where he put out he committed to us a few months back

probably be like Dylan Bradley -go the USM be a 4 year starter and all -conference.

DeviousDawg
11-08-2016, 12:25 PM
What kind of receivers are we getting in Hunt and Williams?

Williams has nice size, and it is easy to make the reliable white boy possession receiver comparison, but does he have enough speed to stretch the field?

I don't know much about Monterio Hunt. I seem to remember Steve and some of the other recruiting site guys acting like he was very underrated, maybe because he plays at a small school? Out of all of ******* receivers through the years, who does he best compare to?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 12:31 PM
I don't know if Austin stays at WR or grows into a flex TE but he's very solid. He has really good hands & runs really good routes. He's not going to burn you with speed but he always seems to get open. He also catches pretty much everything you throw to him. He plays in a wing T offense where if they pass 90% it's going to him. He has 43rec 600+yds & 13tds this season. Monterio is a better athlete. Athletically he puts you in the mind of Fred Ross. No he's not Fred but his build, his speed, & athleticism put you in that mind set. I believe if he doesn't get hurt 1st game of his Jr year he has multiple SEC offers. He's had a really good bounceback year. It's 1A football so he does everything for his team he's rushed for 1100+yds & 12tds & also has almost 700yds rec & 10td on 25 catches.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Speaking of Juco guys word looks like Landrews should be back in the fold before the week is out.

Ari Gold
11-08-2016, 12:52 PM
Speaking of Juco guys word looks like Landrews should be back in the fold before the week is out.

Might be today

Ari Gold
11-08-2016, 12:53 PM

December and grandmother..

DeviousDawg
11-08-2016, 12:55 PM

Ari Gold is my favorite TV show character, you seem like you might be a pretty good poster too. Welcome Ari, you're wife is a 17ing babe.

gtowndawg
11-08-2016, 01:04 PM

Tell Turtle hi.

Commercecomet24
11-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Seems like our staff is putting in a lot of work on the recruiting trail. I like it.

Ari Gold
11-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Our WR class this year is weak pending Guidry and McMath...Couch and Todd will be unknowns heading into next year. Got to get Guidry.

Todd will be very good (bigger upside than Bear ) And Guidry is ours to lose..

Political Hack
11-08-2016, 01:23 PM
Ari Gold is my favorite TV show character, you seem like you might be a pretty good poster too. Welcome Ari, you're wife is a 17ing babe.

This Ari is too busy chasing tail to settle down.

Tripp McNeely
11-08-2016, 01:30 PM
No Noah Ellis?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-08-2016, 02:35 PM
If we lose Pierce after recruiting him this long, I'll be pissed. It sounds like the light is starting to come on for Champion so hopefully that continues its trend.

Cowboydawg
11-08-2016, 03:24 PM
What's the story on Landon Guidry? I stood beside him at one of the games this year and was surprised at how small he was. He looked 150-160ish and very small frame. Sounds like he's not speedy and I don't see him being physical. Smart, instinctive player?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 05:17 PM
What's the story on Landon Guidry? I stood beside him at one of the games this year and was surprised at how small he was. He looked 150-160ish and very small frame. Sounds like he's not speedy and I don't see him being physical. Smart, instinctive player?

He's definitely bigger than 155-160lbs. Closer to 180-185lbs. He's a very good athlete. He's not a track star but he's not slow at all.

Here are some of his Sr Highlights

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2931718/57e1e70f842eb36e5862c8ca

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 05:18 PM
No Noah Ellis?

Just an oversight

Todd4State
11-08-2016, 05:47 PM
We need a JUCO center. How good we are next is going to depend on how these JUCO's pan out and how quickly they adjust.

Cowboydawg
11-08-2016, 06:10 PM
He's definitely bigger than 155-160lbs. Closer to 180-185lbs. He's a very good athlete. He's not a track star but he's not slow at all.

Here are some of his Sr Highlights

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2931718/57e1e70f842eb36e5862c8ca

I'm just under 6 ft and right at 185 and it felt like I swallowed him in size. He was definitely shorter than me and had a very thin/small frame, especially upper body. He looks a lot bigger in pics. I was just surprised how small he was. Might carry a lot of weight and strength in his lower body.

Westdawg
11-08-2016, 06:45 PM
The kid in that HUDL video is an easy 175 lbs or better.
He is deceptively quick and seems to have good instincts for the ball and field awareness.

Vandelay Industries
11-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Would take Clyde Edwards-Helaire & I think that is becoming more & more likely

Have a relative who coaches at high school Helaire goes to and he says Mullen is going hard after him.

Ari Gold
11-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Would take Clyde Edwards-Helaire & I think that is becoming more & more likely

Have a relative who coaches at high school Helaire goes to and he says Mullen is going hard after him.

If signing day was tomorrow Clyde would be in maroon and white...

GTHOM
11-08-2016, 07:09 PM
IYOK, how high are we on Schderren Archie, CB from Brandon

Ari Gold
11-08-2016, 07:17 PM
The kid in that HUDL video is an easy 175 lbs or better.
He is deceptively quick and seems to have good instincts for the ball and field awareness.

He will redshirt . Kid is very athletic.

Harrydawg
11-08-2016, 07:18 PM
MRA OL Sadiq Charles will flip from LSU to MSU.

Book it

msstate7
11-08-2016, 07:19 PM
MRA OL Sadiq Charles will flip from LSU to MSU.

Book it

Hope you're right.

Coursesuper
11-08-2016, 07:25 PM
I've seen Austin Williams play, every bit of 6'4" very nice hands catches the ball softly reminds me of Gus Walley.

Harrydawg
11-08-2016, 07:25 PM
He is waiting becuase he doesn't want to hear all the BS (very smart).....he really liked Miles.

Kid wants to go to MSU, he feels most comfortable at State and come often to games

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 08:10 PM
IYOK, how high are we on Schderren Archie, CB from Brandon

He's a very good athlete. Someone will get a good player.

GTHOM
11-08-2016, 09:25 PM
He's a very good athlete. Someone will get a good player.

Will we offer him? He has a lot of offers but none are SEC

Ifyouonlyknew
11-08-2016, 09:56 PM

I can't see us offering. He has no Power 5 offers right now.

Ari Gold
11-08-2016, 10:11 PM

If we do we have missed on a lot of guys..

Cary Hudson's little bro
11-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Do you think we get a shot at DD Bowie? Shirley he is not gonna hold on and go to Northern Miss?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Do you think we get a shot at DD Bowie? Shirley he is not gonna hold on and go to Northern Miss?

0.01%

thf24
11-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Isn't Bowie somewhat of an OM legacy? I.e. may not stick with them but definitely not coming here.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Isn't Bowie somewhat of an OM legacy? I.e. may not stick with them but definitely not coming here.

No legacy but Shea Hodge is his cousin & mentor. He's not leaving OM.

GTHOM
11-09-2016, 08:14 PM
I can't see us offering. He has no Power 5 offers right now.

Im afraid we will all regret it