Lumpy Chucklelips
11-07-2016, 10:09 PM
I'm glad we didn't sign that prick.

Jack Lambert
11-07-2016, 10:12 PM
What happen and who is he?

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-07-2016, 10:18 PM
db for Seahawks. Jumped off sides on a FG attempt and knocked the shit out of the kicker. Officials f'd up from that point forward as they only called off sides and not a personal foul. Then the ref stood over the ball until the play clock ran down to 5 seconds and they didn't get the kick off on time...pushed them back the 5 yards and then they missed the kick.

Gruden was raising hell about it.

Dallas_Dawg
11-07-2016, 10:19 PM
That was some bull shit. Home cooking at its finest

Commercecomet24
11-07-2016, 10:20 PM
db for Seahawks. Jumped off sides on a FG attempt and knocked the shit out of the kicker. Officials f'd up from that point forward as they only called off sides and not a personal foul. Then the ref stood over the ball until the play clock ran down to 5 seconds and they didn't get the kick off on time...pushed them back the 5 yards and then they missed the kick.

Were those sec officials*******

Mjoelner34
11-07-2016, 10:24 PM

As a Bills fan, I'm used to it. There are at least 2 calls per game that go against the Bills that even leave the announcers wondering what the hell just happened. Last week Tyrod Taylor gets hammered 5 yards out of bounds and limps around the next 3 plays. No call. Later, a 170lb DB for Buffalo pushes Gronk out of bounds and keeps pushing for a couple of yards without taking him down. 15 yards! Its actually laughable. The Bills are the anti-Crimson Tide.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2016, 10:26 PM
As a Bills fan, I'm used to it. There are at least 2 calls per game that go against the Bills that even leave the announcers wondering what the hell just happened. Last week Tyrod Taylor gets hammered 5 yards out of bounds and limps around the next 3 plays. No call. Later, a 170lb DB for Buffalo pushes Gronk out of bounds and keeps pushing for a couple of yards without taking him down. 15 yards! Its actually laughable. The Bills are the anti-Crimson Tide.

So it's like being s State fan! You got a double whammy going there!

Mjoelner34
11-07-2016, 10:31 PM
So it's like being s State fan! You got a double whammy going there!

Yep.

ETA: And, just like MSU when things are going good, a plain as day, unarguable stupid penalty kills us.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-07-2016, 10:38 PM
As bad as Croom was, he got a visit from Sherman. Thought we had a pretty good shot but lost out. I'm not sure what our connection in Cali was back then, but we got a few visits from guys out there and actually signed a LB, who ended up a bust, and a QB, who got hurt.

BeardoMSU
11-07-2016, 10:43 PM

Why would you hate him for that?

Commercecomet24
11-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Yep.

ETA: And, just like MSU when things are going good, a plain as day, unarguable stupid penalty kills us.

I feel your pain, brother. You build up a lot of scar tissue as a State fan.

Liverpooldawg
11-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Why would you hate him for that?

He kind of launched himself into a roll to roll over the kicker. It looked like a deliberate attempt to roll up the kicker's plant leg to me.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-08-2016, 10:05 AM

I wouldnt exactly say he knocked the shit out of the kicker. It wasn't that bad. The kicker "ACTED" like his knee had been shattered at first and then he miraculously recovered, got to his feet and was telling training staff he was ok.

smootness
11-08-2016, 10:17 AM
You can dislike Sherman, but he knows the rulebook better than basically anyone (including the officials sometimes) and uses it to his advantage. There was no roughing the kicker or late hit on the play because the officials didn't blow the whistle until he was already diving and his hand touched the ball before he hit the kicker. So the only flag there is for offside, which was called.

Forrest4Moore
11-08-2016, 10:27 AM
You can dislike Sherman, but he knows the rulebook better than basically anyone (including the officials sometimes) and uses it to his advantage. There was no roughing the kicker or late hit on the play because the officials didn't blow the whistle until he was already diving and his hand touched the ball before he hit the kicker. So the only flag there is for offside, which was called.

Well, the NFL released an official statement saying that the play should have been called unnecessary roughness and that the officials simply blew the call.

smootness
11-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Well, the NFL released an official statement saying that the play should have been called unnecessary roughness and that the officials simply blew the call.

Except they're wrong. The whistle didn't blow until Sherman had already hit the kicker. Both Sherman and the kicker continued with the play as though it was not dead because no whistle blew. You can't call a penalty in that situation. They're basically trying to save face because after a play like that, they can't come out and say, 'Everything was called correctly.' The refs blew it, but they blew it because they never blew the whistle, which is what allowed Sherman to run in and destroy the kicker. But as long as the play is live, which it was, he is allowed to do that if he hits the ball first. And he did.

ScottH
11-08-2016, 10:51 AM
You can dislike Sherman, but he knows the rulebook better than basically anyone (including the officials sometimes) and uses it to his advantage. .

Probably the smartest player in the league.

dawgs
11-08-2016, 10:57 AM
I wouldnt exactly say he knocked the shit out of the kicker. It wasn't that bad. The kicker "ACTED" like his knee had been shattered at first and then he miraculously recovered, got to his feet and was telling training staff he was ok.

He hit the kicker's legs in a very vulnerable position and you could see the knees buckle. I'm betting it hurt like shit but if you are the K and you can walk it off a bit, then you try to kick the FG because teams don't carry a backup placekicker. Carpenter definitely had some limp to him after that fwiw.

Before it was officially announced as a blown call, we were laughing that the patriots were about to just start sending in some scrub to jump offsides and take a shitty cheap shot on opposing players, take the 5 yard penalty, but possibly knock out the other teams QB or force him to play injured, or take a cheap shot on the K before a game winning kick.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-08-2016, 11:11 AM
I see it was deliberate by watching video. I didn't watch the game and based on seeing that he "knocked the shit out of the kicker" I had to go check it out. I was underwhelmed. That being said Richard Sherman is straight up dirty.

smootness
11-08-2016, 11:28 AM
He hit the kicker's legs in a very vulnerable position and you could see the knees buckle. I'm betting it hurt like shit but if you are the K and you can walk it off a bit, then you try to kick the FG because teams don't carry a backup placekicker. Carpenter definitely had some limp to him after that fwiw.

Before it was officially announced as a blown call, we were laughing that the patriots were about to just start sending in some scrub to jump offsides and take a shitty cheap shot on opposing players, take the 5 yard penalty, but possibly knock out the other teams QB or force him to play injured, or take a cheap shot on the K before a game winning kick.

Again, it's a penalty IF the officials blow the whistle because a player is unabated to the kicker/QB, as they should have done here. However, if they don't, then yes, it's fair game. Refs don't blow the whistle on most offside calls because usually a player is not running unabated, and the offense gets a free play out of it. In those situations, you're free to hit the QB if you get to him. The refs just messed up and didn't blow their whistle. You can call Sherman 'dirty' if you want, but he was within the rules. And from his standpoint, if they haven't blown the whistle, the kicker is also free to kick the ball, basically giving himself a free play where if he makes it, great, and if he misses, he gets another chance. So there is incentive for Sherman to stop the kick regardless of whether or not he was offside.

BeardoMSU
11-08-2016, 11:40 AM
And from his standpoint, if they haven't blown the whistle, the kicker is also free to kick the ball, basically giving himself a free play where if he makes it, great, and if he misses, he gets another chance. So there is incentive for Sherman to stop the kick regardless of whether or not he was offside.

This^^^

You see that with QB's all the time. There is an off-sides, no whistle is blown, and the QB just launches it to the endzone for a chance at a free TD. That's why Sherman played through it, because why give up 3 free points?

Forrest4Moore
11-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Except they're wrong. The whistle didn't blow until Sherman had already hit the kicker. Both Sherman and the kicker continued with the play as though it was not dead because no whistle blew. You can't call a penalty in that situation. They're basically trying to save face because after a play like that, they can't come out and say, 'Everything was called correctly.' The refs blew it, but they blew it because they never blew the whistle, which is what allowed Sherman to run in and destroy the kicker. But as long as the play is live, which it was, he is allowed to do that if he hits the ball first. And he did.

Wrong. Unnecessary roughness can be called during or after a play. It can be called before a game kicks or even during halftime. The league deemed it unnecessary roughness and they're right. It wasn't roughing the kicker because of your reasoning. But it was unnecessary roughness, which is what I said. The league takes up for officials as much as they can. They're not going to say they blew a call if they didn't.

oildawg
11-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Sherman is very smart, competitive and an excellent db. I'd love to have him on any team that I pull for....

smootness
11-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Wrong. Unnecessary roughness can be called during or after a play. It can be called before a game kicks or even during halftime. The league deemed it unnecessary roughness and they're right. It wasn't roughing the kicker because of your reasoning. But it was unnecessary roughness, which is what I said. The league takes up for officials as much as they can. They're not going to say they blew a call if they didn't.

So where is the unnecessary roughness? For that to be the case, you would have to say you can't do what Sherman did on a normal kick, either. Which would be ridiculous. He dove to block a kick, got his hand on it, and his momentum took him into the kicker. That is a legal play according to the rules. You would have to argue that a player must determine themselves when they've committed a penalty and hold up...but then you're giving the kicker a chance to complete the kick in impeded, which is another advantage for the offense.

dawgs
11-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Again, it's a penalty IF the officials blow the whistle because a player is unabated to the kicker/QB, as they should have done here. However, if they don't, then yes, it's fair game. Refs don't blow the whistle on most offside calls because usually a player is not running unabated, and the offense gets a free play out of it. In those situations, you're free to hit the QB if you get to him. The refs just messed up and didn't blow their whistle. You can call Sherman 'dirty' if you want, but he was within the rules. And from his standpoint, if they haven't blown the whistle, the kicker is also free to kick the ball, basically giving himself a free play where if he makes it, great, and if he misses, he gets another chance. So there is incentive for Sherman to stop the kick regardless of whether or not he was offside.

I never said Sherman was dirty, I'm just defending the kicker against your spin that he was "acting". Fwiw, the NFL admitted it should have been unnecessary roughness.

What's really ****ed up is how the refs screwed up the play clock on the 49 yard attempt that carpenter made. The ref was literally standing over the call until there was only like 3 seconds left on the play clock. Why did he need to prevent them from snapping it for so long? Then of course carpenter makes it, but doesn't count and then misses the 54 yarder.

dawgs
11-08-2016, 04:59 PM
So where is the unnecessary roughness? For that to be the case, you would have to say you can't do what Sherman did on a normal kick, either. Which would be ridiculous. He dove to block a kick, got his hand on it, and his momentum took him into the kicker. That is a legal play according to the rules. You would have to argue that a player must determine themselves when they've committed a penalty and hold up...but then you're giving the kicker a chance to complete the kick in impeded, which is another advantage for the offense.

Sherman knew he was a good 3 steps offsides. And guys are usually taught to dive across the kicker's face to block a kick, not into the kicker's body. Refs should've blown it dead, Sherman shouldn't have dove into the guy's knees knowing he was 3 steps offsides, ultimately it likely ****ed the bills out of going to OT.

Turfdawg67
11-08-2016, 05:39 PM
I'm glad we didn't sign that prick.

I regret clicking on this topic and giving it a view... but since I'm here, YAWN.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Maybe it's not a roughing penalty because of the offsides. However, somebody on the Bills team should have whipped Sherman's ass. He took out the kicker and knew exactly what he was doing. It was dirty. If that had been my kicker, I would have separated Sherman's head from his shoulders.

smootness
11-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Sherman knew he was a good 3 steps offsides. And guys are usually taught to dive across the kicker's face to block a kick, not into the kicker's body. Refs should've blown it dead, Sherman shouldn't have dove into the guy's knees knowing he was 3 steps offsides, ultimately it likely ****ed the bills out of going to OT.

They're taught that so they don't get a penalty in the event they don't block it. He blocked it. The ref should have blown the whistle, yes. Since he didn't, Sherman is allowed to block the kick on the way into the kicker.