PDA

View Full Version : Will John renew Dan's contract?

Leroy Jenkins
11-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Is it even his decision to make?

TheRef
11-07-2016, 07:11 PM

Well he's AD....so yes. It's his decision. He's in charge of all Athletic department contracts now.

Coursesuper
11-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Doubt very seriously he gets to make that call.

Leroy Jenkins
11-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Well he's AD....so yes. It's his decision. He's in charge of all Athletic department contracts now.

That is a niave view.

RC3
11-07-2016, 07:15 PM
If he beats ole miss

lamont
11-07-2016, 07:16 PM

No. Contracts are decided by the AD, the President, and the Executives.

Do they extend him? Probably depends how we finish

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2016, 07:17 PM
After this past weekend, if we win 1 of the final three, I would.

The reason is because I believe it's becoming more clear which direction we are headed now that young stars are developing, and I pay coaches off of what they are going to do and not off what they have done.

If we keep the same energy as this past Saturday and build upon it, then I like where we are headed. I'd extend him.

lamont
11-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Something people dont really realize- the University pays less than 50% of Dan Walsh's contract. The Foundation guys do the rest. So you can bet they have say

preachermatt83
11-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Win egg get extended, lose it get right back on hot seat.

lamont
11-07-2016, 07:21 PM
After this past weekend, if we win 1 of the final three, I would.

The reason is because I believe it's becoming more clear which direction we are headed now that young stars are developing, and I pay coaches off of what they are going to do and not off what they have done.

If we keep the same energy as this past Saturday and build upon it, then I like where we are headed. I'd extend him.

Everybody is on that upset "high". You have to let the season play out before making any decisions.

BiscuitEater
11-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Something people dont really realize- the University pays less than 50% of Dan Walsh's contract. The Foundation guys do the rest. So you can bet they have say

Really? You have gone from calling Dak .. "Checkdown Charlie" .. to call Dan Mullen .. "Dan Walsh"?

Give it a rest!

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-07-2016, 07:36 PM
It doesn't have to be extended the day after we play OM, so I would think part of it is going to depend on how much Mullen says and SHOWS he wants to stay as well.

ScoobaDawg
11-07-2016, 07:39 PM
It doesn't have to be extended the day after we play OM, so I would think part of it is going to depend on how much Mullen says and SHOWS he wants to stay as well.

exactly it will get worked out...and I suspect we will know if he really wants to stay in December pretty quick.

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Everybody is on that upset "high". You have to let the season play out before making any decisions.

1000% agree. The upset did show that he's not lost the locker room & we have young players that can be built around though.

It definitely has to carry over between now & the end of the season, but I'm kinda 52.5% confident that it will. That's why I say that, if he wins 1 of the final three & is competitive in the Egg Bowl, I'd extend him.

The silver lining is that this year isn't the closing of the window or something. That was last year.

This year is a new window & you have to decided if it will open or if it's stuck shut. This past weekend gave me hope that this new window may open.

If that becomes more evident as the year progresses, then you extend him

was21
11-07-2016, 07:45 PM
He's smart enough to ask for advice but not dumb enough to listen to the wrong folk. Nothing will happen for sure on that until the end of the season unless he's announced as a coach at another program

lamont
11-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Really? You have gone from calling Dak .. "Checkdown Charlie" .. to call Dan Mullen .. "Dan Walsh"?

Give it a rest!

stfu Biscuit. Ive nicknamed people on message boards for over a decade. And will for another decade. Get over it

Coursesuper
11-07-2016, 07:48 PM

Give it a rest!

No, you and all your sunshine pumping buddies give it a rest. The constant you, should say this ,you should act like that bullshit from this crowd is killing this what this board was all about.

Bass Chaser
11-07-2016, 08:26 PM
I look forward to the day that some get what they wish for.

Homedawg
11-07-2016, 08:28 PM

Yes this, executives being the ones writing him the check.

Homedawg
11-07-2016, 08:30 PM

More like the foundation pays 80-90 percent

Dolphus Raymond
11-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Damn, men. We just beat A&M and now have a legitimate shot at finishing 6-6. Enjoy it and relax.

Bass Chaser
11-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Damn, men. We just beat A&M and now have a legitimate shot at finishing 6-6. Enjoy it and relax.

It's a dick measuring contest from one side or the other if not both.

WPDawg
11-07-2016, 09:01 PM
who is Dan Walsh?

blacklistedbully
11-07-2016, 09:03 PM
No, you and all your sunshine pumping buddies give it a rest. The constant you, should say this ,you should act like that bullshit from this crowd is killing this what this board was all about.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Coursesuper again.

Dolphus Raymond
11-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Now, if we are going to go the dick measuring route, please allow me........

EngDawg
11-07-2016, 09:32 PM

I would imagine a few cigar boys have input as well.

TrapGame
11-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Better yet does Cohen ask Dan if he's staying or going? If he's going then Cohen starts looking for another coach. If not, then Cohen and Mullen sit down and have a heart to heart about the future of MSU football.

Jack Lambert
11-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Might be why we are seeing so much fire out of coach Mullen now.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2016, 09:58 PM
I'm asking this cause I have no idea on this. Is it possible that Dan is reinvigorated cause of Stricklins departure and Cohen's hiring? Just a thought.

Thick
11-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Spoke to a former MSU great and retired MLB player on Sunday. First he thought the Cannizzaro hire is just what the program needs for the future, but said that he's concerned about Cohen the most. Not that he's not the right choice (he loves it), but because John has some serious, important, and tough decisions to make in the very near future. He smiled when I mentioned football. The season has to play out first.

Homedawg
11-07-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm asking this cause I have no idea on this. Is it possible that Dan is reinvigorated cause of Stricklins departure and Cohen's hiring? Just a thought.

No. Had nothing to do with it...

lamont
11-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Mullen respects Cohen a helluva lot more than Stricklin I assure you

Thick
11-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Scared of Cohen might be a better choice of words.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Mullen respects Cohen a helluva lot more than Stricklin I assure you

That was the sense I had, that there was much more mutual respect between the two. I know sometimes when people work for someone they may not hold in the highest regard they sometimes don't put out as much. I didn't think it had anything to do with Saturday but was just wondering. I know a lot of y'all know way more than me about the politics and inside stuff. Appreciate yours and homedawgs info.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2016, 10:13 PM

Ha! Cohen can be intense!

Todd4State
11-07-2016, 11:11 PM
That was the sense I had, that there was much more mutual respect between the two. I know sometimes when people work for someone they may not hold in the highest regard they sometimes don't put out as much. I didn't think it had anything to do with Saturday but was just wondering. I know a lot of y'all know way more than me about the politics and inside stuff. Appreciate yours and homedawgs info.

I think you are probably right. In hindsight maybe I should have said that Stricklin should go instead of Dan.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2016, 11:31 PM
I think you are probably right. In hindsight maybe I should have said that Stricklin should go instead of Dan.

It was just a thought I had. Nothing to base it on other than knowing Dan and Cohen have great respect for each other and it could have some effect. At this point I'm for whatever makes us better no matter what it takes.

FISHDAWG
11-08-2016, 08:41 AM

I don't think he's scared of Cohen at all ... and to Random's point - I have to agree. I think coaches can talk to each other in a way that they can't with administrators

smootness
11-08-2016, 08:44 AM
Goodness, people. You honestly think the AD has essentially no power within the athletic department? According to our fans, the AD doesn't hire coaches, doesn't decide when to extend contracts, give raises, fire coaches, etc. So what does our AD actually do? And why are we just about the only school in America with an impotent AD?

lamont
11-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Goodness, people. You honestly think the AD has essentially no power within the athletic department? According to our fans, the AD doesn't hire coaches, doesn't decide when to extend contracts, give raises, fire coaches, etc. So what does our AD actually do? And why are we just about the only school in America with an impotent AD?

The Foundation pays roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of our coach's salaries. Mickey Holliman and his merry band just ramroded Cohen into the AD job. If you don't think they have say as in contracts and extensions- then I don't know what to tell you. Our AD is a voice in the process- but far from the only voice

WSOPdawg
11-08-2016, 09:52 AM

Dan's afraid the Intense Bastard will go off on him, lolol!!! The more I think about it, I love the Cohen-to-AD hire, we just gotta give him time to grow and learn.

FISHDAWG
11-08-2016, 12:09 PM
The Foundation pays roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of our coach's salaries. Mickey Holliman and his merry band just ramroded Cohen into the AD job. If you don't think they have say as in contracts and extensions- then I don't know what to tell you. Our AD is a voice in the process- but far from the only voice

not doubting what was said but the contract signed is with MSU - not the boosters

Coursesuper
11-08-2016, 12:50 PM
not doubting what was said but the contract signed is with MSU - not the boosters

That's where your disconnect is, college athletics is the boosters. At all state run institutions the majority of coaches salaries are payed for with private money. There are boosters who give much more than others can to their school of choice, at some schools they have all of or the majority of the say so in who's hired and fired. Right or wrong it's the way it is and politics is the rule of the day.

DownwardDawg
11-08-2016, 12:52 PM
I look forward to the day that some get what they wish for.

I hope you're talking about SEC championships.

Homedawg
11-08-2016, 12:54 PM

This is true, but without the boosters we can't pay them. And yes there is a contract w the foundation as well...cause that's where the money is from. Well the lions share anyway.

WPDawg
11-08-2016, 02:21 PM
stfu Biscuit. Ive nicknamed people on message boards for over a decade. And will for another decade. Get over it

may be funny if done once in conversation. After that, the repetitiveness diminishes your credibility in critical analysis. If its all part of your humor shtick then I guess I missed part of the buildup. Just an opinion.....

I_Spy
11-08-2016, 04:29 PM
My thoughts on this..the offense as usual looks as though it will only get better, the D has to catch up, state will then be very good. Recruits wise, I feel good about the guys we have but can the defensive coaches get them ready. Or if I look at the other teams and their people I see no reason unless the D coaches do not come through that we won't be one of the top teams.

Or my only issue with Dan as a head coach is he must keep Defensive coach. Manny did a good job walking in last year but ...

Spiderman
11-08-2016, 06:01 PM

he should