PDA

View Full Version : Our new baseball coach

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-07-2016, 06:16 PM
I liked what I saw at the podium from our new baseball coach today. If having contacts and knowing people are part of winning, we shouldn't having any trouble. Even had the Yankee Director of Scouting there today. Impressive young guy. I'm happy with what I saw as the new face of MSU baseball.

Jack Lambert
11-07-2016, 06:20 PM
He is coming into a good situation. There are 100's of coaches who would have eaten Cohen shit for a mile just to get a interview.

Bothrops
11-07-2016, 06:26 PM
I will say that I think we get it done with this guy. That is all.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Yep high energy guy who lets players play to their strength not a particular system or style. If you throw hard you throw hard, if you throw junk you throw junk, power hitters gonna be turned loose and base stealers gonna be turned loose. Think our teams gonna win and be exciting!

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-07-2016, 06:42 PM
mcain31....how 'bout linking the presser for everyone, will 'ya? thanks

mcain31
11-07-2016, 06:56 PM
http://youtu.be/pARGZ49LOlw

Todd4State
11-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Connections are everything in baseball because it's a small community. Having MLB ties are huge because that's where everyone wants to end up on the recruit end and MLB wants someone that they can trust on the college coaches end. That guy from Arozona hurt himself throwing his pitchers like he did in the postseason.

I think Cannizaro has Cohen's strengths but upgrades his weaknesses.

Spiderman
11-07-2016, 09:02 PM
I liked what I saw at the podium from our new baseball coach today. If having contacts and knowing people are part of winning, we shouldn't having any trouble. Even had the Yankee Director of Scouting there today. Impressive young guy. I'm happy with what I saw as the new face of MSU baseball.

Never seen many new coaches lose the introductory PC, except Mike Shula... that was one lost looking SOB

Bully13
11-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Never seen many new coaches lose the introductory PC, except Mike Shula... that was one lost looking SOB

nice spider. agreed. let's not forget "Maroon is all that matters"

we all had a collective circle jerk orgy on that one. but I admit, lot's of thought and winners were in charge of this hire. no reason to not be cautiously optimistic. very different SITCHEYE!!!!

Todd4State
11-07-2016, 11:21 PM
nice spider. agreed. let's not forget "Maroon is all that matters"

we all had a collective circle jerk orgy on that one. but I admit, lot's of thought and winners were in charge of this hire. no reason to not be cautiously optimistic. very different SITCHEYE!!!!

Cohen's hires at MSU:

Butch- head coach at Auburn
Lane- head coach at Northwestern State and now La Tech
Mingione- head coach at Kentucky
Jake Wells- hitting coach at La Tech and now hitting coach at Alabama
Zach Dillion- JUCO ranks
Wes Johnson- pitching coach at Arkansas and possibly in line to be their head coach.
Will Coggin- volunteer assistant and now our hitting coach
Gary Henderson- pitching coach
Mike Brown- volunteer assistant coach

Pretty much all of Cohen's baseball hires have been good except for one and the current ones the jury is out but the track record is very good so far.

Commercecomet24
11-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Cohen's hires at MSU:

Butch- head coach at Auburn
Lane- head coach at Northwestern State and now La Tech
Mingione- head coach at Kentucky
Jake Wells- hitting coach at La Tech and now hitting coach at Alabama
Zach Dillion- JUCO ranks
Wes Johnson- pitching coach at Arkansas and possibly in line to be their head coach.
Will Coggin- volunteer assistant and now our hitting coach
Gary Henderson- pitching coach
Mike Brown- volunteer assistant coach

Pretty much all of Cohen's baseball hires have been good except for one and the current ones the jury is out but the track record is very good so far.

That's great info! Some coaches have a knack for spotting guys that will become great coaches. That's a pretty dang good coaching tree there!

Todd4State
11-07-2016, 11:42 PM
That's great info! Some coaches have a knack for spotting guys that will become great coaches. That's a pretty dang good coaching tree there!

Yes and if we need to hire another coach we're going to have some potentially good choices on the future as most of these guys are still developing as coaches. I do think Cannizaro will stay awhile and be successful as I suspect he probably figures that Manieri is going to try to get O'Connor to LSU once he retires.

BB30
11-08-2016, 10:01 AM
He has a chance to be a very good coach. I will caution fans though, do not freak out if we hit some early bumps. It takes time to learn how to run an entire program, he has had a lot of good mentors coming up but anytime you go from being an asst to a head coach there will be bumps in the road. So for those like random that jump on the fire coach bandwagon quickly give the guy some time to get his feet wet. I think if we give him some time he will do very well here and then we just have to hold on to him. Fortunately, we already have a lot of plus talent on the field so that should help hide some of the growing pains making the jump from asst to HC. I am cautiously optimistic about the hire and think he will do a good job.