PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Armchair QB: Offensive Offense Edition

War Machine Dawg
09-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Gents, the first edition of WMD's Armchair QB is up at FWtCT. Here's the linky (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/football/2013/9/1/4683606/mississippi-sttate-oklahoma-state-analysis-wmd-opinion-armchair-qb-offense). Mosey on over and check it out.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Good stuff WMD. Everyone should give this a read. I especially agree with the part about "Where is this NEW offense we have been hearing about all off season?" Horse Shit. We didn't change a damn thing and I have been saying "I will believe we change when I see it", and Im glad I said that because we didn't see shit yesterday that we didn't see last year.

I have one disagreement though.....the offensive line was not bad. They protected Russell and they opened up holes for the run early on when we weren't the most predictable offense in history. We cannot expect our OLine to open up running lanes when we only have one running play and an immobile QB that provides no help, AND the most predictable offense I have ever seen. I seriously was calling every play in the stands before we even lined up and everyone around me was tripping out and saying I should call Mullen and tell him I could shut our offense down because we are so predictable. It was embarrassing how easy our O was to defend. But When Dak and JRob were in there running downhill we were getting good push on the OLine.

Everything else was spot on, and a good read. Congrats on the gig and keep up the good work.

MarketingBully01
09-01-2013, 10:50 PM
I agree about Mullen and special teams. Turn those over to Gonzales. He has been a special teams coordinator before. I also hope we are letting Gonzales have input into the offense as well and use him more then just as a WR coach. The man has done a number of things at all of his stops. He has been a passing game coordinator, special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator. If we are only using him as a WR coach, we really are missing out.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2013, 10:55 PM
I agree about Mullen and special teams. Turn those over to Gonzales. He has been a special teams coordinator before. I also hope we are letting Gonzales have input into the offense as well and use him more then just as a WR coach. The man has done a number of things at all of his stops. He has been a passing game coordinator, special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator. If we are only using him as a WR coach, we really are missing out.

Well, considering I saw NOTHING new from our offense despite a "bunch of new shit we're going to see from the offense this year".....Me thinks Gonzo had zero input. And if he did, he sucks too.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2013, 11:11 PM
The true sign of leadership is the ability to make tough decision and tell people what they don't want to hear. Dan is man enough to suspend Nick and Quay, but is enough of a leader to go to Dak at QB?

The ability for Dan to make the necessary decisions to help Mississippi State win football games could decide how long his career is. Football isn't a game for stubborn coaches. It may have been in the 70's and 80', but not anymore. Successful coaches have the ability to adjust, always bring something new, and adapt his scheme to his talent.

Bill Belichick does a better than anyone. As stubborn as he seems, he has changed his offense as much, if not more, than any other team in football over the last 5-10 years. He makes tough decisions and adapts.

How Mullen handles this situation will tell us a lot about what his ceiling is as a coach.

Todd4State
09-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Nicely done WMD!

Todd4State
09-01-2013, 11:14 PM
The true sign of leadership is the ability to make tough decision and tell people what they don't want to hear. Dan is man enough to suspend Nick and Quay, but is enough of a leader to go to Dak at QB?

The ability for Dan to make the necessary decisions to help Mississippi State win football games could decide how long his career is. Football isn't a game for stubborn coaches. It may have been in the 70's and 80', but not anymore. Successful coaches have the ability to adjust, always bring something new, and adapt his scheme to his talent.

Bill Belichick does a better than anyone. As stubborn as he seems, he has changed his offense as much, if not more, than any other team in football over the last 5-10 years. He makes tough decisions and adapts.

How Mullen handles this situation will tell us a lot about what his ceiling is as a coach.

Well, Bellicheck is a defensive coach. I would imagine that it would be a lot easier for him to switch the offensive philosophy than it would be to switch defensive schemes. In fact, Bellicheck's defense is likely pretty similar to what it has always been going back to the Giants.

War Machine Dawg
09-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Thanks, gents!

Cadaver, I semi-agree about the OL. They play well at times, but on the whole, they didn't consistently show the push I was expecting.

MarketingBully, completely agree on Gonzo. He needs a bigger role. His resume speaks for itself, and he's a guy Mullen should easily trust, given their history.

Shotgun, you're dead on about the coaching. If you can't adapt, you fail. We're going to learn a lot in the next few weeks not only about Mullen's ability to adapt, but his willingness to adapt. I'm going to go on the record now and say he sticks with TR for at least 2-3 more games after Alcorn. The offense will continue to struggle, TR will eventually be booed out of the stadium, and Mullen will be forced to make a change. But at that point, it will be too late to salvage the season. It sucks, but that's what my gut is telling me.

I also wants to say no one hates being right about the offensive "changes" than I do. We're going to lose a season and all momentum because Mullen and the offensive staff either can't or won't make up their minds about what we want to be offensively. It kills me that just when we were in a position to start earning some respect, we'll piss it away with classic M-State mistakes.