PDA

View Full Version : Let me be clear on the QB situation...

Coach34
09-01-2013, 04:14 PM
It's not just yesterday for me- as I'm sure it's not for alot of people that want to make a change at the QB position.

It's Alabama, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Northwestern, and now Ok State. Even going back to 2011 when Russell made a couple of starts- he has yet to beat a bowl team. Now, you can try and blame the OL, or WR's, or the system- It really doesnt matter. What is being done currently is not working against solid defenses.

We can't change our OL- we have to play with what we have currently.
We can't change the WR's- we have to play with what we have currently.

BUT we can change the QB and adjust our offense to a more conservative, spread option heavy system that runs the clock, plays physical, and takes advantage of cheating defenses with big passing plays. This would also help us to continue to be solid on defense and help them play less plays. We can be innovative like Ok State was in the run game with the zone read lead play out of the diamond formation- depend on Dak and our RB's to handle the bulk of the load on offense- not DeRunnya Wilson, Tubby, RoJo, and Morrow.

It's common sense what the strength of this offense is currently- we need to use these two weeks to make the necessary changes

CadaverDawg
09-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Boom

More Spread, more run, more Dak, more Robinson = mo wins

paco
09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
You nailed it, Coach34.

hacker
09-01-2013, 04:27 PM
+1

msstate7
I think dak becoming the starter is really gaining momentum. Dan has got to be feeling some pressure to get the offense rolling. Pretty sure if TR stays the starter and struggles then the boo birds will be out in full force come the Troy game. TR's career is dying and I don't see him finishing his senior year as our starter

chef dixon
I hate to say it but although Dak may be the better option, he didn't look very good yesterday either. He isn't the most accurate passer and he seemed to panic when running, struggling to find the correct lanes to pick up yards with his feet.

Seeing as our QB's under Mullen continue to make the same mistakes they made when they stepped on to campus, I just can't be too optimistic about Dak developing into a stud. With that being said, I still think its the right move to start the Dak era and give him a chance to develop for the future.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2013, 04:33 PM
I hate to say it but although Dak may be the better option, he didn't look very good yesterday either. He isn't the most accurate passer and he seemed to panic when running, struggling to find the correct lanes to pick up yards with his feet.

Seeing as our QB's under Mullen continue to make the same mistakes they made when they stepped on to campus, I just can't be too optimistic about Dak developing into a stud. With that being said, I still think its the right move to start the Dak era and give him a chance to develop for the future.

What are you talking about?

That's the most PT Dak has ever seen in a row in his career. Can he not get a few reps as a starter before you call him no good? Did you miss Relf's entire career and how he developed? Damn man.

Coach34
09-01-2013, 04:36 PM
The starter also gets more reps during the week in practice to get ready for games

msstate7
09-01-2013, 04:37 PM

That's the most PT Dak has ever seen in a row in his career. Can he not get a few reps as a starter before you call him no good? Did you miss Relf's entire career and how he developed? Damn man.

Plus the fact dak is a run first type qb put in a passing situation. I thought he did well as can be expected. If dak started yesterday, I believe we score more than 3 points and don't have 100 straight 3 and outs. Would we have won? Don't know but we would've been doing more punishing and receiving less punishment IMO

BHildreth3
09-01-2013, 04:39 PM

Dak isn't running 2009-2010 "Relf" offense that he would shine in either. Dakota will be fine if we shelf the 'TR' formations and plays. Unfortunately, we can't just go to that offense, but top programs would demand for these changes and would get them.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Plus the fact dak is a run first type qb put in a passing situation. I thought he did well as can be expected. If dak started yesterday, I believe we score more than 3 points and don't have 100 straight 3 and outs. Would we have won? Don't know but we would've been doing more punishing and receiving less punishment IMO

Exactly. Dak is not the type of QB you bring in when you have an uphill climb to get back in a game late. Our running game improved immediately when he came in, and therefore our play action worked better. Give him a start the next two weeks, and we could very well beat Auburn

chef dixon
09-01-2013, 04:48 PM

I'm all for the change and giving him a chance, just keeping expectations in check considering the history of the QB position at MSU. I don't think that's unrealistic.

Dawgface
09-01-2013, 04:50 PM
But do you think there is a chance in hell that Mullen will do as you suggest? I agree with you. But I don't see him doing it unless Tyler's injury is severe enough to keep him out for a few weeks. I hope Russell is OK btw.

Schultzy
09-01-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm leary of chef dixon already.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2013, 04:53 PM
But do you think there is a chance in hell that Mullen will do as you suggest? I agree with you. But I don't see him doing it unless Tyler's injury is severe enough to keep him out for a few weeks. I hope Russell is OK btw.

Yes, I do. And why? Because Dan knows that his career is on the line if this offense doesn't get going. Plus, Tyler can't transfer out and it would no longer look bad to bench a high star QB by benching him after a piss poor stretch. Plus, unlike some people, I think Dan is stubborn but I don't think he is a total idiot. If he keeps playing Tyler and we keep sucking, maybe he does deserve to hit the road. But I just don't see him being so stubborn that he blows his job. I think he truly wants to put Tyler in the NFL for recruiting purposes, but he is finding out that it probably ain't happening.

msstate7
09-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Yes, I do. And why? Because Dan knows that his career is on the line if this offense doesn't get going. Plus, Tyler can't transfer out and it would no longer look bad to bench a high star QB by benching him after a piss poor stretch. Plus, unlike some people, I think Dan is stubborn but I don't think he is a total idiot. If he keeps playing Tyler and we keep sucking, maybe he does deserve to hit the road. But I just don't see him being so stubborn that he blows his job. I think he truly wants to put Tyler in the NFL for recruiting purposes, but he is finding out that it probably ain't happening.

I really thought TR was gonna be an nfl qb, but I'm seeing I was wrong. His footwork is terrible. He has a slow release. He doesn't go thru his reads well. He has the arm, but he needs more than that.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2013, 05:04 PM
I really thought TR was gonna be an nfl qb, but I'm seeing I was wrong. His footwork is terrible. He has a slow release. He doesn't go thru his reads well. He has the arm, but he needs more than that.

You and me both. I never thought he fit our scheme, but I figured we would change the scheme and he would be successful. I still think Tyler would be a NFL QB in the right system with a little work.

msstate7
09-01-2013, 05:12 PM
I think Tyler lost more than the fan base yesterday. Our coaches and players have got to be questioning him. He just can't lead thru adversity bc he can't handle it himself. After Lewis returned the ko after we lost the lead and we got nothing done, TR lost all bulldogs faith in him IMO. Taking a sack on 4th and 15! Throw the damn ball up TR! An interception beats a sack.

DanDority
09-01-2013, 05:14 PM
The only problem with this is, I don't think we have a coaching staff that will make those tough decisions, as sad as it is.

msstate7
09-01-2013, 05:19 PM
The only problem with this is, I don't think we have a coaching staff that will make those tough decisions, as sad as it is.

Then we need an AD that lets Dan know it would be in Dan's best interest to turn this thing around at all costs.

BeastMan
09-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I would like to note that I have had the Dak avi since this board's inception for a reason. Right now we have 5 freaking running backs that can tote it. We have a cpl good TE's to work the middle of the field. We have a playmaker at slot. We have barely enough at WR (experience is the issue) to suffice. In short, we have an offense that is tailor made to run the read option about 10x more dangerous than in 2010.

Factor in our OL. They're a solid group. They aren't elite talent maulers, so you cant gameplan like they are. Read options and misdirections schemes for them. We aren't gonna line up and blow people of the ball but we could scheme our way to averaging 200 rushing and 200 passing yards a game minimum and be 10x better than that crap we've seen lately.

Coach 57
09-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Let me piggyback these thoughts by saying to the guy who said Dak wasn't that accurate or whatever. In the spread as a running threat YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE THAT ACCURATE! Relf worked because he was a running threat. So the extra defender that normally is dropping NOW has to honor a running threat. It makes it a TRUE 11 on 11.

DogBanker
09-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I don't know what game you were watching. But I saw Dak Prescott make a read quick and get it out of his hand, something Russell has never done. Prescott moved the ball down field and he also took shots down field, which showed trust in his WRs.

PMDawg
09-01-2013, 06:03 PM

You're getting warm. Everybody's right around the problem and it should be obvious by now...but I'm not going to say anymore bc recruits DO read these boards. But, yes, he does have an NFL arm. The rest, not even close.

Will James
09-01-2013, 06:06 PM
His footwork is terrible. He has a slow release. He doesn't go thru his reads well.

TR = NFL Tebow

Dak = college Tebow

Coach 57
09-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Wonder what Cookie on sps is saying over there. Lol! He is a TOTAL Tyler elitest.

Gordon Gekko
09-01-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm ready to see what Mullen can do with a guy like Dak running the show but I went back and watched first shot to the head TR took when he was sliding and I agree with hack, he got his bell rung on that pretty hard. That may explain some of his issues and either way I hope he is OK.

msstate7
09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm ready to see what Mullen can do with a guy like Dak running the show but I went back and watched first shot to the head TR took when he was sliding and I agree with hack, he got his bell rung on that pretty hard. That may explain some of his issues and either way I hope he is OK.

I really hope that was the issue with TR bc I feel like it or not we're stuck with him this year.

Bubb Rubb
09-01-2013, 07:50 PM
It's not just yesterday for me- as I'm sure it's not for alot of people that want to make a change at the QB position.

It's Alabama, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Northwestern, and now Ok State. Even going back to 2011 when Russell made a couple of starts- he has yet to beat a bowl team. Now, you can try and blame the OL, or WR's, or the system- It really doesnt matter. What is being done currently is not working against solid defenses.

BUT we can change the QB and adjust our offense to a more conservative, spread option heavy system that runs the clock, plays physical, and takes advantage of cheating defenses with big passing plays. This would also help us to continue to be solid on defense and help them play less plays. We can be innovative like Ok State was in the run game with the zone read lead play out of the diamond formation- depend on Dak and our RB's to handle the bulk of the load on offense- not DeRunnya Wilson, Tubby, RoJo, and Morrow.

It's common sense what the strength of this offense is currently- we need to use these two weeks to make the necessary changes

When Dak struggles I hope you are as hard on him as you were on Tyler, but somehow I doubt you will do that.

Drugdog
09-01-2013, 08:03 PM
To make it more simple...we have lost 6 of last 7 games. A change is mandatory now for qb, the offense and any other issues.

I seen it dawg
09-01-2013, 08:23 PM
When Dak struggles, and he will struggle at times, it will be because he is inexperienced and needs reps. Tyler struggles now and he is a 5th yr senior and a 2 and half year starter. Tyler has long since hit his ceiling and what we see is all we get. Dak needs to play now and let him and all these young skill guys grow together. Tyler stunts their growth along with Dak's.

Coach34
09-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Druddog pretty much summed it up:

We've lost 6 of our last 7 games with Tyler Russell starting at QB. And the offense has really looked like ass in most of them.

FlabLoser
09-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Druddog pretty much summed it up:

We've lost 6 of our last 7 games with Tyler Russell starting at QB. And the offense has really looked like ass in most of them.

I'm on that bandwagon. I wanted to think the 1st 7 games of last year was the real Tyler, but maybe that was just a hot streak.

We are Mississippi State. Bring on the 2nd string QB!

grinnindawg
09-01-2013, 09:23 PM
I agree, although we don't do anyone at QB any favors with how we call plays.

Our offensive play calling seems backwards.
Successful plays are abandoned for plays more likely to fail because of the success.

For example, the run right (delay maybe) to Perkins was killing them.
Instead of fake the run right, hit the TE down the seam, we run stretch R or something similar.
So instead of a play that takes advantage of the LB or S being aggressive we run something
that rewards the tendency we created. Repeatedly

Someone posted earlier "Afraid" was what it looked like. I agree.
Good offensive play callers are Confident, not Timid.

It_Could_Happen
09-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Boom

More Spread, more run, more Dak, more Robinson = mo wins

I see what ya did there.

sbcmortgageman
09-02-2013, 07:03 AM
I think dak becoming the starter is really gaining momentum. Dan has got to be feeling some pressure to get the offense rolling. Pretty sure if TR stays the starter and struggles then the boo birds will be out in full force come the Troy game. TR's career is dying and I don't see him finishing his senior year as our starter

Dan is too damn stubborn to make changes. It will be his downfall.

donald igwebuike
09-02-2013, 07:14 AM

ala Relf. We do so much better w/running 1st type QB's.

coastdoglover
09-02-2013, 05:11 PM
You guys have to be kidding. We have an AD who is a politician and he will never tell Dan what to do nor will he have the guts to fire him if he ever had to do so.

Then we need an AD that lets Dan know it would be in Dan's best interest to turn this thing around at all costs.

ckDOG
09-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Well, we can only get 3 points worse. Might as well go back to the approach that we know Mullen is capable of coaching. We have given changing the offense to fit the QB enough of a chance. Either the QB isn't capable or the staff can't coach that system. Change it before we toss the season away by game 3. There is a base "dak system" that we can run and expand on throughout the season. ****ing do it! It can't get any worse.