PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle Bama if you're Mullen?

SDDawg
11-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Two thoughts on this.

1) Game plan: I think the game plan has to be to go for broke, take risks and take as many shots as you can early. You don't expect to win (barring a miracle), but you also know you can't play conservatively and have a chance either. You'd have to bunch Bama in the mouth on offense with big plays and then try to get some critical stops or a turnover. Even if you lose but you manage to put some highlights on tape and show some flashes, your guys have something to look at and feel positive about in the film room. The risk here is that you get away from the style of football you'll need to play in the final 2 weeks.

2) Momentum: I know that coach speak says you can't look ahead, but this team really needs to. With a chance to win 5 and if you beat Arky possibly even 6, I think this team has to stay mentally prepared for the final 2 weeks of the season and can't afford to let a tough game against Bama throw them off track. Seems like we've had mental letdowns after the Bama game the past couple of years, Mullen needs to figure out a way to avoid that while keeping enough focus on Bama to avoid a major setback.

I've never coached but some of you have. How do you handle this situation with this group that's been fragile for much of the year?

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Pray. A lot!!

ETA: I WAS just mostly joking. What you said doesn't seem like too bad an approach to me. Hope to come out with no critical injuries too.

GTHOM
11-06-2016, 12:31 PM
You ride this wave of confidence and keep preaching and demanding effort. Go in their house lock the door behind you and lets see what happens. They wont have to be motivated to beat Arky or OM with a bowl trip and the Egg on the line.

As far as gameplan wise I would do exactly as you said. Try and make a big play early, really get the kids to believe we can win.

HSVDawg
11-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Don't get Fitz killed. Keep him healthy for the final 2 games. That should be our singular focus next weekend. Don't really care what the scoreboard looks like.

BeastMan
11-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Forfeit

NCDawg
11-06-2016, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure we're going to have to pass a lot. I can't see us running the ball effectively against their defensive front. On defense, we need to watch their QB. He's pretty quick and can get to the outside on us. We can't have our DE crashing to the inside like we did in Tuscaloosa 2 years ago.

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Forfeit

Good one! If only it were an option ***** I wanna keep some pieces from this year's team alive to play next year.

Coursesuper
11-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Don't get Fitz killed. Keep him healthy for the final 2 games. That should be our singular focus next weekend. Don't really care what the scoreboard looks like.

That's really not a bad idea, this Alabama team is really impressive, they have a lot of very good players we all know that, but they are unbelievably well coached. They just don't make any big mistakes, the kind that get you beat. It's almost boring to watch, but at the same time very impressive to watch. As much as I hate to watch them win over and over again you can't deny those facts.

DogsofAnarchy
11-06-2016, 01:05 PM
We need to be honest with our guys. Bama is really good and they know it. We need to tell them to go have fun and let's see what happens!! What we need to do as fans is temper expectations where this mentally fragile team doesn't build this up to big and have a losing hangover against Arkansas. Our biggest games and the measuring stick for us going into the off season are the last two games.

Two thoughts on this.

1) Game plan: I think the game plan has to be to go for broke, take risks and take as many shots as you can early. You don't expect to win (barring a miracle), but you also know you can't play conservatively and have a chance either. You'd have to bunch Bama in the mouth on offense with big plays and then try to get some critical stops or a turnover. Even if you lose but you manage to put some highlights on tape and show some flashes, your guys have something to look at and feel positive about in the film room. The risk here is that you get away from the style of football you'll need to play in the final 2 weeks.

2) Momentum: I know that coach speak says you can't look ahead, but this team really needs to. With a chance to win 5 and if you beat Arky possibly even 6, I think this team has to stay mentally prepared for the final 2 weeks of the season and can't afford to let a tough game against Bama throw them off track. Seems like we've had mental letdowns after the Bama game the past couple of years, Mullen needs to figure out a way to avoid that while keeping enough focus on Bama to avoid a major setback.

I've never coached but some of you have. How do you handle this situation with this group that's been fragile for much of the year?

Gutter Cobreh
11-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Hurts can't hit the long ball, which should help our secondary because they continue to get burned and take bad angles. The angles part will hurt when they run bubble screens though.

Bama's defense is out of this world good. They could very well win the game by themselves, which they essentially have done all year.

The kickoff time favors us, but it isn't enough of an advantage. I think we lose; I'm just hoping we keep it close.

I'm no coach either, just posting some of my thoughts.

Sacrifice
11-06-2016, 01:18 PM
I don't know what the hell we're gonna do on Defense to stop them but on Offense we're gonna have to pop them deep a couple of times to open things up. If we just dink and dunk all game and there D plays close to the LOS we're screwed!

TUSK
11-06-2016, 01:27 PM
I don't know what the hell we're gonna do on Defense to stop them but on Offense we're gonna have to pop them deep a couple of times to open things up. If we just dink and dunk all game and there D plays close to the LOS we're screwed!

Defensively, yall need to load the box... Base 5 man front and blitz often...

Next, in addition to three LBs, I would definitely put a spy on Hurts... someone super fast that can tackle... just follow Hurts wherever he goes...

OJ Howard, Ridley and Stewart are all dangerous... probably should jam them at the LOS and double each of them...

Next, in addition to the six guys playing man-to-man, I'd have a couple of cats at shallow safety ready to support against the run...

But I'm no Xs & Os guy*

Todd4State
11-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Alabama's defensive philosophy is to stop the run on first and second downs and to stop the pass on third downs. I'd try to mostly do the opposite on those downs depending on down and distance and game situation.

TUSK
11-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Alabama's defensive philosophy is to stop the run on first and second downs and to stop the pass on third downs. I'd try to mostly do the opposite on those downs depending on down and distance and game situation.

Yep Todd, ya gotta get in 2nd & 6 / 3rd & 2 type situations... 3rd & >5 is a really, really bad place to be against this defense...

Taog Redloh
11-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Run the ball, shorten the game. Hope for turnovers. Get out alive.

GTHOM
11-06-2016, 02:07 PM

Next, in addition to three LBs, I would definitely put a spy on Hurts... someone super fast that can tackle... just follow Hurts wherever he goes...

OJ Howard, Ridley and Stewart are all dangerous... probably should jam them at the LOS and double each of them...

Next, in addition to the six guys playing man-to-man, I'd have a couple of cats at shallow safety ready to support against the run...

But I'm no Xs & Os guy*

Ok theres not enough people to double 3 guys and put a spy on Hurts. Yall aint God. Yall will beat us but dont get too carried away

TNDawg35
11-06-2016, 02:14 PM

But I'm no Xs & Os guy*

Why when I read this did I have an image of Loyd from Dumb and Dumber saying "So you think theres a chance!!" HAHA

ScottH
11-06-2016, 02:25 PM

Get the game over as quick as possible and survive with no injuries.

Play to win the last two and miraculously get to 6-6 after where we were two weeks ago.

TUSK
11-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Ok theres not enough people to double 3 guys and put a spy on Hurts. Yall aint God. Yall will beat us but dont get too carried away

It was an old joke, buddy... the famous 5-4-8 D.....

Red Sox Dawg
11-06-2016, 02:39 PM

But I'm no Xs & Os guy*

So let me get this straight, 5 DL, 3 LB's, 6 CB's, and a couple of shallow safeties? Almost forgot the spy.

I'm game.

was21
11-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Do whatever it takes to stay healthy

BulldogBear
11-06-2016, 03:43 PM
So let me get this straight, 5 DL, 3 LB's, 6 CB's, and a couple of shallow safeties? Almost forgot the spy.

I'm game.

Me too... thing is though, we could STILL lose.

Red Sox Dawg
11-06-2016, 03:52 PM
Me too... thing is though, we could STILL lose.

Maybe they will give us 6 OL, 3 TE, 5 WR, 3 RB and a QB.

Spiderman
11-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Two thoughts on this.

Pray their entire team gets food poisoning at the Friday night team meal

CadaverDawg
11-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Run the ball, shorten the game. Hope for turnovers. Get out alive.

This.

Run, let the play clock run down, run, let the play clock run down, run, let the play clock run down, punt. Hope our D plays well, don't give up the homeruns. That's it. Do not throw it more than 15-20 times, and those should all be safe High % throws. Speed the game up by keeping the clock running with runs, play good D, take a decent looking loss, move on to Arky.

msstate7
11-06-2016, 04:26 PM
This.

Run, let the play clock run down, run, let the play clock run down, run, let the play clock run down, punt. Hope our D plays well, don't give up the homeruns. That's it. Do not throw it more than 15-20 times, and those should all be safe High % throws. Speed the game up by keeping the clock running with runs, play good D, take a decent looking loss, move on to Arky.

I like the plan, but if we get around midfield take some deep shots.

EngDawg
11-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Over...Did you say over. Nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. HELL NO! It wasn't over then and it's not over now. Because when the going gets tough...the tough...get going. NOW WHO'S WITH ME!!!

Dallas_Dawg
11-06-2016, 04:35 PM
1A/1B is the obvious choice***

defiantdog
11-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Over...Did you say over. Nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. HELL NO! It wasn't over then and it's not over now. Because when the going gets tough...the tough...get going. NOW WHO'S WITH ME!!!

Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards.

Let's do it!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-06-2016, 06:13 PM
When they sleep walk into this game and we pop them in the mouth for a turnover early, we have to take advantage of it. Fitz can't be the leading rusher, the RB's need to take the punishment on this one. The front 7 better be ready to see them pound it and then take a shot to Ridley or Stewart downfield.

dotcomdawg
11-06-2016, 06:38 PM
I would take a two-pronged approach:
1.) Just tell the team to go out there and have fun.
2.) Make sure and try to keep everyone healthy

Then go get ready to win our final two games and go to a bowl game.

dawgoneyall
11-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Two thoughts on this.

Do not play to not get beat by much. Play full out

oldwave
11-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Do not play to not get beat by much. Play full out

This. It may or may not work out but I'll be damned if you don' start every game playing to win. If you get your ass beat then so be it. How many times has this board said "all we want is effort and to act like you care."?
But because of it's Bama you want them to act like a bunch of woosies? I sure would hate to count on some of you to ever have my back in a foxhole.

mstatefan91
11-06-2016, 09:02 PM

But I'm no Xs & Os guy*
If the SEC is willing to let us do this.... sure lol

mstatefan91
11-06-2016, 09:03 PM
This.

Glad you aren't the coach...

No offense :)

tenureplan
11-06-2016, 09:25 PM
This.

This, but fake an ankle issue with Fitz and let Dam. play. Hell, I'm also ok with using Shump and Holloway exclusively this game.

mstatefan91
11-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Yeah, you guys go right ahead and tell the team that just took out #4 in the nation that they aren't allowed to compete against #1. You would be lucky to have 50% of the guys left in the locker room willing to even be on the team.

Dawgology
11-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Just go have fun and play ball. This game is way over our heads right now and this is possibly the best Bama team I've ever seen take the field. Go have fun. Play ball. Don't go out there and pick fights and get stupid and then get someone hurt. Just play ball.

oldwave
11-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Yeah, you guys go right ahead and tell the team that just took out #4 in the nation that they aren't allowed to compete against #1. You would be lucky to have 50% of the guys left in the locker room willing to even be on the team.

Agree. And I might jump on the fire Dan bandwagon. What a chicken shit bunch, this explains a lot. It's ok to understand the challenge that will be faced and the possibility of getting beat, but to not want to accept the challenge ? Damnit boy!

tenureplan
11-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Agree. And I might jump on the fire Dan bandwagon. What a chicken shit bunch, this explains a lot. It's ok to understand the challenge that will be faced and the possibility of getting beat, but to not want to accept the challenge ? Damnit boy!

nm

mstatefan91
11-06-2016, 10:28 PM
nm
Defeatist attitude.

DeputyDawg94
11-06-2016, 10:30 PM

But I'm no Xs & Os guy*
So, you suggest State play with 23 defensive players. I like it.

JohnnyQuid
11-07-2016, 01:50 AM
run the ball shorten the game and keep it respectable - and get out of there whole as a team and injury free

JohnnyQuid
11-07-2016, 02:00 AM

there's a great divide between Alabama and a&m. between them and anyone this year to be honest. it would be an upset of epic proportions - but running the ball and shortening the game serves both ends because it plays to our strength - and won't get Fitz killed

DCdawg
11-07-2016, 07:27 AM
I would probably prepare by starting to put in the game plan for Arky.

Jack Lambert
11-07-2016, 08:43 AM
I would dress out some walk on and make them hit men then take out a bunch of Bama Players.

smootness
11-07-2016, 09:06 AM
This.

This has never worked against Bama. I get that we have about a 0.01% chance of winning, but the teams that give Bama trouble are the ones that mix it up, take chances, and let a dual-threat QB make plays. You can also lose 70-0 playing that strategy, but I say let it rip. We have absolutely nothing to lose.

smootness
11-07-2016, 09:08 AM
This, but fake an ankle issue with Fitz and let Dam. play. Hell, I'm also ok with using Shump and Holloway exclusively this game.

Uh, I feel pretty confident Fitz would become aware of that plan.

blacklistedbully
11-07-2016, 09:20 AM
Close practice, install a triple-option offense game plan. Fitz knows it already. We're not likely to run it all that well, but maybe...just maybe we do, and catch Bama completely by surprise.

Of course, it could get Fitz killed.

EAVdog
11-07-2016, 09:34 AM
May have been Washington. They had a backup LT lined up as a second TE off the line of scrimmage. they used him as a blocking back. He demolished the LB trying to make the play and sprung the RB for a good gain.

We could run some Wing-Bone with Farrod Green/Michael Johnson or other good blocker in the slot position. We need to run the ball with some beef and let Aeris go to work. Bring in Shump as the B back. So we'd have a backfield of Aeris and Shump plus Fitz on the option keeper. Green/Johnson could block on running plays or slide out for pass plays. Basically play for 3-4 yards at a time, then take a shot or two with Ross.

We could also run the Wishbone in short yardage situations but put Nick James at FB.

Basically we need to go balls to the walls.

Dawgfan01
11-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Two thoughts on this.

I would like to come out and run nothing but read options misdirection plays with a few deep shots. Certainly we have nothing to lose but i would love for our guys to come out and hit the world champ right in the chops. If you cant get up emotionally to play number 1 you dont need to be playing. Call me crazy but tiano needs some snaps. Let that bull run a few option type runs. Keep it simple take some carries away from fitz because we are back in the bowl picture and we dont make it without a healthy fitz. Main thing is for dan to actually let the players believe we are playing to win and not to just keep it close like the last seven games bs bama. I believe we can at least let them know they were in a fight. HAILSTATE!!!!!!

Dawgfan01
11-07-2016, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=blacklistedbully;645936]Close practice, install a triple-option offense game plan. Fitz knows it already. We're not likely to run it all that well, but maybe...just maybe we do, and catch Bama completely by surprise.

Of course, it could get Fitz killed.[/QUOTE

Thats why i say now is the time to get tiano some reps keep it simple dont make fitz take a lot of shots. Damian would not help He would just get hit alot and make bad hurried throws. Go back to the same game plans chris relf ran. We dont have AD but we have a capable rb and recievers to spread them out and run the ball. Please take deep shots on third and long. Interception beats a sack

confucius say
11-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Use the same offensive game plan the confederates used. They give bama's d more problems than anybody

Bama_Dawg
11-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Every year against Bama I ask for the same thing, but never get it. We need the screen game! Swing it out to Holloway, allow the DE to rush in (they will anyway) and get it to Williams on a dump off. Once we get the DE staying back to protect against the screens, take the shots downfield. Try to get to the edge in the run game. Let's use some Jujutsu here...

NCDawg
11-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Every year against Bama I ask for the same thing, but never get it. We need the screen game! Swing it out to Holloway, allow the DE to rush in (they will anyway) and get it to Williams on a dump off. Once we get the DE staying back to protect against the screens, take the shots downfield. Try to get to the edge in the run game. Let's use some Jujutsu here...

Sounds pretty good to me. I'm not convinced their OL is all that great. I think our DL may be able to control them most of the time. We just can't let their QB burn us running and giving him time to throw. I doubt if our DB's can stay up with their W/R's.