PDA

View Full Version : OT: what happened in cotton district this am?

spbdawg
11-06-2016, 09:09 AM
#

msbulldog
11-06-2016, 09:10 AM
OMG!

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-06-2016, 09:25 AM
A student was shot and killed while in line for cheese fries. The rumor is that there was an altercation over a wallet. Presumably his wallet.

Harrydawg
11-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Time for Starkville PD to step up.......this much maligned force has some real issues to deal with and clean up......

spbdawg
11-06-2016, 10:33 AM
#

SWC_MSU
11-06-2016, 10:48 AM
From a person that works in the cotton district... apparantely a guy was walking home from cotton district and got robbed by two guys and he fought back and they shot him in the head and killed him. Have not caught the two suspects yet. The guy that was killed is from Greenwood.

starkvegasdawg
11-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Joseph Tillman - Senior marketing major.

BeastMan
11-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Damn. Prayers to the family. I hope they catch those pos.

BeastMan
11-06-2016, 11:23 AM
http://www.wtva.com/news/MSU_student_killed_in_Cotton_District_shooting.htm l

vv83
11-06-2016, 11:30 AM
There was an altercation at stagger. The guy went back to his house right next to the bin and the other party got in a car and shot him in his yard. Roommate had to give a statement to the police

BeastMan
11-06-2016, 11:33 AM
There was an altercation at stagger. The guy went back to his house right next to the bin and the other party got in a car and shot him in his yard. Roommate had to give a statement to the police

Jesus. Senseless violence

msbulldog
11-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Prayers for family, this ain't Starkville!

Bullsy
11-06-2016, 12:44 PM
I've heard they have the 2 suspects in custody

LC Dawg
11-06-2016, 12:46 PM
My daughter lives a few blocks from where this happened and I almost threw up when I read what happened. Obviously prayers need to go out for the victim's family and friends but also for the entire student body. You shouldn't have to fear for your life just to enjoy college. It's just so senseless.

starkvegasdawg
11-06-2016, 01:35 PM
I've heard they have the 2 suspects in custody

Good. Hope they rot in jail. My mom knows the victim's family. Says they are the finest people.

WinningIsRelentless
11-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Good. Hope they rot in jail. My mom knows the victim's family. Says they are the finest people.
Screw rot in jail that's a drag on our tax dollars. They should get to them exactly what they did this morning.

RocketDawg
11-06-2016, 01:44 PM
My daughter lives a few blocks from where this happened and I almost threw up when I read what happened. Obviously prayers need to go out for the victim's family and friends but also for the entire student body. You shouldn't have to fear for your life just to enjoy college. It's just so senseless.

Yeah, I can only imagine your level of fear. Your heart must have almost stopped. They need to get rid of the thug element using what ever tactics are necessary.

vv83
11-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Honest question - How do you prevent something like this in the future? I've noticed over the past few years the bar scene has been getting more dangerous. Hundreds of people just stand outside the bars (guess they don't want to pay cover?) and just smoke and hang around. Plenty of fights have broken out so I've always thought it's just a matter of time until some asshole decides to be a big man and bring a gun to the bars. Can you metal detect everyone? Tell people they aren't allowed to stand around outside if they don't go in?

bluelightstar
11-06-2016, 02:00 PM

this is not the time or the place

Gutter Cobreh
Honest question - How do you prevent something like this in the future? I've noticed over the past few years the bar scene has been getting more dangerous. Hundreds of people just stand outside the bars (guess they don't want to pay cover?) and just smoke and hang around. Plenty of fights have broken out so I've always thought it's just a matter of time until some asshole decides to be a big man and bring a gun to the bars. Can you metal detect everyone? Tell people they aren't allowed to stand around outside if they don't go in?

Enforce no loitering signs, if they're up?

Prayers for the family and friends of this gentleman. Sad situation.

Cloak
I live two buildings down from where it happened, was one of the saddest scenes I have seen in a long time.

RocketDawg
11-06-2016, 02:07 PM

Some places ... I think it's the case in Alabama, possibly in Mississippi too ... it's perfectly legal now to have a gun in a bar. Not to start a gun control war, but that's about the stupidest thing possible. Drinking and/or smoking (weed) just don't mix with gun availability.

I was in Applebee's on South Parkway in Huntsville a few days ago, and turned around and saw a guy sitting at the bar with his gun out bragging about it to the bartender. So I suppose it was legal there.

RocketDawg
11-06-2016, 02:08 PM
I live two buildings down from where it happened, was one of the saddest scenes I have seen in a long time.

Get any sleep last night?

BeastMan
11-06-2016, 02:09 PM
This is not a time to get political. This is a tragedy where a young man lost his life. If you use this thread as an opportunity to express political ideology, I will ban you permanently.

BrunswickDawg
11-06-2016, 02:10 PM
You can't - and even though it is rare, not even Starkville is immune from random acts of violence. And it isn't just "thug" violence. I know some of you were on campus when the 2 students were snatched from fraternity row in the early '90s and killed. It's chilling. And it's horrible.

gravedigger
11-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Ok goat, lets put it in a way your dumbass can understand. Its not the time in case someone innocent has been taken into custody.

Or is that too complicated?

BeastMan
11-06-2016, 02:14 PM
You can't - and even though it is rare, not even Starkville is immune from random acts of violence. And it isn't just "thug" violence. I know some of you were on campus when the 2 students were snatched from fraternity row in the early '90s and killed. It's chilling. And it's horrible.

The only way I think SPD could do is what Memphis pd has done on Beale. Blockade the outside, check those coming in, and have foot patrol within. For game day weekends at a minimum. Police presence can help but as you said, senseless acts of violence are not 100% unpreventable.

msbulldog
11-06-2016, 02:20 PM
This is not a time to get political. This is a tragedy where a young man lost his life. If you use this thread as an opportunity to express political ideology, I will ban you permanently.

There you go! +1

Taog Redloh
11-06-2016, 02:20 PM

That's a noble party line but if these types of things are ever going to be preventable, it'll have to be political. What is this thread even about if it's not political.

MrKotter
11-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Honest question - How do you prevent something like this in the future?
Fire up the electric chair. Quit giving them free room and board.

RocketDawg
11-06-2016, 02:24 PM
The only way I think SPD could do is what Memphis pd has done on Beale. Blockade the outside, check those coming in, and have foot patrol within. For game day weekends at a minimum. Police presence can help but as you said, senseless acts of violence are not 100% unpreventable.

Starkville probably doesn't have the personnel to man a specific area like a large city such as Memphis does, especially during early morning hours. Was this game day related? What's it like in the CD on a non-game weekend?

klong-dog
11-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Make an example of these pos's. Put it on national tv for all to see. Torture the hell out of them. Hang em, cut fingers, toes, limbs, whatever it takes to get the point across to make sure this kind of shit doesn't happen anymore.

msbulldog
11-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Make an example of these pos's. Put it on national tv for all to see. Torture the hell out of them. Hang em, cut fingers, toes, limbs, whatever it takes to get the point across to make sure this kind of shit doesn't happen anymore.

????

DoctorDawg
11-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Some places ... I think it's the case in Alabama, possibly in Mississippi too ... it's perfectly legal now to have a gun in a bar. Not to start a gun control war, but that's about the stupidest thing possible. Drinking and/or smoking (weed) just don't mix with gun availability.

I was in Applebee's on South Parkway in Huntsville a few days ago, and turned around and saw a guy sitting at the bar with his gun out bragging about it to the bartender. So I suppose it was legal there.
It is not legal to carry a firearm inside a bar in MS. Not even with a conceal carry permit.

BeastMan
11-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Starkville probably doesn't have the personnel to man a specific area like a large city such as Memphis does, especially during early morning hours. Was this game day related? What's it like in the CD on a non-game weekend?

All great points. Not sure if it's game day related per se but game day does lead to more late night drinking and heavier foot traffic. The CD is still an "entertainment district" for non game day weekends but for home games it is much much wilder.

Bothrops
11-06-2016, 02:33 PM

I'm like you, this really pisses me off. Thugs are the biggest pussies in society. They can't do shit without a gun, or a numbers advantage. These bums are as good as ISIS, they should all be dusted.

shoeless joe
11-06-2016, 02:42 PM

Agree 100%

Still won't be anywhere near the torture and torment that the family of the victim will deal with from now on. There are ways to help fix the issue.

LC Dawg
I was there. I knew the girl, Tiffany, and I thought about that when I heard the news today. It was frightening to know you could be taken from campus and killed. Students in Starkville today are experiencing something that many have never experienced.

mstatefan91
Prayers to the family and friends. I hope they can find peace

msbulldog
11-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, everything aside, pray for the young man's family and loved ones. This is a tragedy that touches us all!

msbulldog
11-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Prayers to the family and friends. I hope they can find peace

Agree! +1

BulldogBear
11-06-2016, 02:49 PM

I knew Steckler. He was from Natchez also. That freaked me out.

I seen it dawg
11-06-2016, 02:52 PM
That's a noble party line but if these types of things are ever going to be preventable, it'll have to be political. What is this thread even about if it's not political.

Read all you want but you won't post here again.

BrunswickDawg
11-06-2016, 03:12 PM
I knew Steckler. He was from Natchez also. That freaked me out.
I was an LXA - and having that happen right next door was scary as hell. We were all around that night in and out of the house and no one saw or heard a thing. He was friends with some of my brothers from Natchez. Still freaks me out when I think about it.

Spiderman
11-06-2016, 03:23 PM

As usual Nervous Nellies wringing hands before knowing the facts.

It was 4 thugs from Columbus there for the express purpose to rob folks. Not people just hanging out in front of bars.

And BTW, I have the enhanced carry permit, and you can damn well bet I'll have my gun in a bar and any where else, because I want a fighting chance against these animals.

And if you shrink from shooting scum trying to harm you, I still ask you to go get the enhanced permit so that when I run out of ammo in a situation, you can hand me your gun.

sandjunky
11-06-2016, 03:45 PM
https://www.facebook.com/starkvillepd/posts/1081029915329218

Arrests made

EngDawg
11-06-2016, 04:10 PM
That night I tried to figure out how such things could be kept from happening. Of course, they hardly ever do nowadays? But even once is way too many. I never did reach an answer that satisfied me. This Dillinger--He looked like anybody else, and his behavior and record couldn't have been too odd or he would never have reached Camp Currie in the first place. I suppose he was one of those pathological personalities you read about--no way to spot them.
​Well, if there was no way to keep it from happening once, there was only one sure way to keep it from happening twice. Which we had used.
​If Dillinger had understood what he was doing (which seemed incredible) then he got what was coming to him--except that it seemed a shame that he hadn't suffered as much as had little Barbara Anne--He practically hadn't suffered at all.
​But suppose, as seemed more likely, that he was so crazy that he had never been aware that he was doing anything wrong? What then?
Well we shoot mad dogs, don't we?Taken from "Starship Troopers" by Robert A. Heinlein

It_Could_Happen
11-06-2016, 04:53 PM
They are going to have to address the situation in the cotton district. It has gotten extremely dangerous lately. The streets are not well lit and some of the houses are not in the best shape. Also, the congregating in the streets has got to stop as well. That just leads to problems. I like the idea to barricade it off and ID at the gates with foot patrol

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-06-2016, 05:24 PM

Don't be out at 2 a.m.

BankerDog
11-06-2016, 05:33 PM
They had cops out last night on foot patrolling the District on that side of the street. That's what makes it harder. It had been an increase in shady characters since the spring. One of my last nights there in May, some guy jumped the fence of Gringo's and hit a girl two or three times then took off running. He had told someone he had just gotten out of pen, he wasn't afraid to go back (he was about mid 40s). And there was also the horrible story about the guy getting beat by two guys while walking his girlfriend home and she was left to defend herself, they caught those two 40 year olds in less then 24 hours; believe they were from West Point.

Heck, just last month they had to increase patrol there because gangs from West Point, Columbus, and Starkville were all fighting with each other and it got leaked out they were planning a big fight in the district that particular night. That has been the real problem, the gangs from the outside coming into Starkville because they aren't coming to have fun, they're coming to do something dumb.

Prayers for the young man, his family, and his friends. I couldn't imagine. Very chilling scene last night when we drove by.

I seen it dawg
11-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Hey Starkville PD....do your muther****ing job and protect the people. A little less focus on running stop signs and red lights and more focus on doing your primary job-protect the citizens living and visiting. Your lack of presence and allowing the cotton district to get out of hand is glaring. Also whoever the ****ing mayor is better get his/her ass in gear as well.

Get these ****ing piece of shit people under control.

Bothrops
11-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Hey Starkville PD....do your muther****ing job and protect the people. A little less focus on running stop signs and red lights and more focus on doing your primary job-protect the citizens living and visiting. Your lack of presence and allowing the cotton district to get out of hand is glaring. Also whoever the ****ing mayor is better get his/her ass in gear as well.

Get these ****ing piece of shit people under control.

They'd much rather catch DUI's and college kids doing social things. But I'd love to catch these four on the back 40 in the dark.

vv83
11-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Don't be out at 2 a.m.

To address this, I've seen many news articles say this happened at 2:30am. I heard the shot right around 1am, which is when the bars close and people go home.

fmbdawg17
11-06-2016, 06:14 PM
To address this, I've seen many news articles say this happened at 2:30am. I heard the shot right around 1am, which is when the bars close and people go home.

The time change must be confusing the timing.

K9 Avenger
11-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Read all you want but you won't post here again.

Did you ban Goat?

I seen it dawg
11-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Did you ban Goat?

Yes

Spiderman
11-06-2016, 07:28 PM
They are going to have to address the situation in the cotton district. It has gotten extremely dangerous lately. The streets are not well lit and some of the houses are not in the best shape. Also, the congregating in the streets has got to stop as well. That just leads to problems. I like the idea to barricade it off and ID at the gates with foot patrol

Sorry, but those barricades and crap on Beale, or anywhere else, is horseshit, un American, and a violation of basic rights.

Police presence? Sure, but screw that other crap.

RougeDawg
11-06-2016, 07:37 PM
They'd much rather catch DUI's and college kids doing social things. But I'd love to catch these four on the back 40 in the dark.

This all day. They'd rather bust 3 kids for MIP or snag a couple DUIs than do the extra work to make every attempt to prevent incidents like this.

Spiderman
11-06-2016, 07:51 PM
This all day. They'd rather bust 3 kids for MIP or snag a couple DUIs than do the extra work to make every attempt to prevent incidents like this.

DUI's should be stopped, along with the other major stuff. But the petty shit pads the stats.

Forget the petty stuff and target the thugs. Be PC all you want, but they ain't hard to spot, 99% of the time, walking or cruising.

PassInterference
11-06-2016, 09:27 PM
The time change must be confusing the timing.

Good point. 1AM to 2AM happened twice, right? Get to 2AM, set the clock back an hour and it's 1AM again. Get to 2AM for the 2nd time and just keep going.

munk_munk92
11-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Let's be real here for a minute and leave out of the political BS. The only way to get rid of this kind of violence is to have harsher penalties. People don't fear going to prison. I believe in an eye for an eye. If you murder someone in this manner you should get the needle. Quit wasting our money on these people. That's the one thing I do like about the Muslim countries. If you steal, they will cut your hand off. People have to fear something in order to get them to do right. Just like a child. A child will go as far as you let them. If you spank them, they fear that spanking and won't do it. Same applies here. The prisons need to bring back the chain gang and make them work for their own food. Things like that.

Lance Harbor
11-07-2016, 06:10 AM
Let's be real here for a minute and leave out of the political BS. The only way to get rid of this kind of violence is to have harsher penalties. People don't fear going to prison. I believe in an eye for an eye. If you murder someone in this manner you should get the needle. Quit wasting our money on these people. That's the one thing I do like about the Muslim countries. If you steal, they will cut your hand off. People have to fear something in order to get them to do right. Just like a child. A child will go as far as you let them. If you spank them, they fear that spanking and won't do it. Same applies here. The prisons need to bring back the chain gang and make them work for their own food. Things like that.

The 19th Century called, said something about not fording the river or you will lose your oxen.

dawgoneyall
11-07-2016, 07:16 AM
The 19th Century called, said something about not fording the river or you will lose your oxen.

What is more important to you? Innocent lives or the welfare of criminals?

I guess it is so 21th century to think more about prepurtators than victims!

You are a gem of a person.

preachermatt83
11-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Yes

Thank you !!!