View Full Version : Interesting stat about AP Top 10 wins

Statefan
11-06-2016, 08:29 AM
4 wins against AP top ten teams in the last 3 seasons

Only 3 such wins in the 29 seasons prior to that
(According to espn)

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 08:49 AM
To me it matters where they end up at end of year. Sumlin's teams tend to tank a little bit after a big loss like Bama. Similar to Dan. We'll see.

msstate7
11-06-2016, 08:52 AM
To me it matters where they end up at end of year. Sumlin's teams tend to tank a little bit after a big loss like Bama. Similar to Dan. We'll see.

We're perhaps the only fanbase I know that desperately tries to cheapen every big win we get

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 08:56 AM
We're perhaps the only fanbase I know that desperately tries to cheapen every big win we get

I like to keep expectations low going into last 3 games. Not trying to cheapen it, but would like to have more that 1 here and there. We had 3 - two years ago. That was nice. 6 or maybe even 7 wouldn've been better and was doable too.

ETA: There's more work to do. Watch a Saban post-game. That game is over and moving on to next one. I'm not gonna act like we just won the CFP over 1 top ten win. Next week we'll be humbled quite a bit. Hope we come out healthy (especially Fitz). Then we see how we do in last 2 games.

msstate7
11-06-2016, 08:58 AM
I like to keep expectations low going into last 3 games. Not trying to cheapen it, but would like to have more that 1 here and there. We had 3 - two years ago. That was nice. 6 or maybe even 7 wouldn've been better and was doable too.

4 in the last 3 years would put us pretty high nationally I'm sure

confucius say
11-06-2016, 08:58 AM
You need 6 or 7 top ten wins in one season to be satisfied?

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 09:02 AM
No ... I'm saying we had the CFP in our grasp and could've beaten Bama (with better preparation), shouldn've beat OM, and couldn've beaten anyone probably other that OSU in playoffs. I'm saying that Saban doesn't relax and enjoy a win so much. He keeps working and so do his guys. Something to learn there.

If we play like we did yesterday for the most part, I can live with the results ... win or lose.

msstate7
11-06-2016, 09:10 AM
No ... I'm saying we had the CFP in our grasp and could've beaten Bama (with better preparation), shouldn've beat OM, and couldn've beaten anyone probably other that OSU in playoffs. I'm saying that Saban doesn't relax and enjoy a win so much. He keeps working and so do his guys. Something to learn there.

If we play like we did yesterday for the most part, I can live with the results ... win or lose.

I agree about putting games behind you quickly, but our guys have lost 3 games in the most gut-wrenching ways possible... I hope they enjoyed the hell out of that win last night. When it was winning time yesterday, they won it.

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 09:18 AM
That's fine for last night. Need to get back to relentless straining today tho.

PassInterference
11-06-2016, 09:46 AM
For years, I've wanted a big upset win. This is it. Unbanked MSU beat #4.

the59dawg
11-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Watched AL-LSU last nite. What an awesome game. AL is unbelievable. I believe they could beat one or more of the lower NFL teams.

msstate7
11-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Watched AL-LSU last nite. What an awesome game. AL is unbelievable. I believe they could beat one or more of the lower NFL teams.

Please don't start this again. The worst NFL team would absolutely destroy bama... bama gave up 43 points to om. Saban couldn't beat NFL teams with NFL talent. What makes you think he could beat NFL teams with college talent? All 53 players on an NFL roster are professionals that train year round in a system that's so much more intricate than a college system. Hurts would be broken in half after the 1st quarter. Think of manziel's dominance in the sec as a dual threat... he was garbage against pro defenses.

/rant

Red Sox Dawg
11-06-2016, 10:22 AM

This logic just baffles me. How can you reason that? We didn't play them at the end of the year, we played them during the season when they were "ranked" in the top ten. One of the reasons that their rankings slipped is because "we beat them while they were ranked in the top ten", not after the season after the final poll. This argument by our fans is ridiculous and is an attempt to lessen the accomplishments of the team. Nobody but fans with a highly unrealistic critical opinion designed to lessen the accomplishments of a team would even think this way. Some of our "fans" aren't happy unless they can be critical and attempt to cheapen our team and coaches accomplishments. Wow, I don't understand why you call yourselves Mississippi State fans. Enjoy a big win and accomplishment. I knew after the game yesterday that there would be "fans" that would immediately say that A&M was not a big win. Geez man, just pitiful.

smootness
11-06-2016, 10:26 AM

If that's the way you approach being a fan, then I'm sorry for you.

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 11:12 AM
This logic just baffles me. How can you reason that? We didn't play them at the end of the year, we played them during the season when they were "ranked" in the top ten. One of the reasons that their rankings slipped is because "we beat them while they were ranked in the top ten", not after the season after the final poll. This argument by our fans is ridiculous and is an attempt to lessen the accomplishments of the team. Nobody but fans with a highly unrealistic critical opinion designed to lessen the accomplishments of a team would even think this way. Some of our "fans" aren't happy unless they can be critical and attempt to cheapen our team and coaches accomplishments. Wow, I don't understand why you call yourselves Mississippi State fans. Enjoy a big win and accomplishment. I knew after the game yesterday that there would be "fans" that would immediately say that A&M was not a big win. Geez man, just pitiful.

I didn't say it wasn't a big win. But 2 years from now I don't want to keep "reliving" the lone 2016 win after many other losses since then. As far as where TAM ends up, if they whup everyone the rest of the way they'll be ok in final rankings. If they fall off the cliff then ..

All year long I thought we should look more like we did yesterday. I'd like to see it keep up. Trust me on this ... Saban and his guys don't relish anything until the NC Trophy is lifted. His guys score a TD and hand the ball to the ref. But in the end, there is much greater satisfaction inside of them. The extreme highs and lows are less, but the internal satisfaction is greater.

Now, if we were somehow to beat Bama next week ... that's a totally different story. I'll take a week long celebration and lose to Arky if that were to happen. Gotta beat OM tho.

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 11:14 AM
If that's the way you approach being a fan, then I'm sorry for you.

I appreciate your sincere concern for me **** You're probably worried for my soul too I would imagine :)

Red Sox Dawg
11-06-2016, 11:32 AM
I didn't say it wasn't a big win. But 2 years from now I don't want to keep "reliving" the lone 2016 win after many other losses since then. As far as where TAM ends up, if they whup everyone the rest of the way they'll be ok in final rankings. If they fall off the cliff then ..

All year long I thought we should look more like we did yesterday. I'd like to see it keep up. Trust me on this ... Saban and his guys don't relish anything until the NC Trophy is lifted. His guys score a TD and hand the ball to the ref. But in the end, there is much greater satisfaction inside of them. The extreme highs and lows are less, but the internal satisfaction is greater.

Now, if we were somehow to beat Bama next week ... that's a totally different story. I'll take a week long celebration and lose to Arky if that were to happen. Gotta beat OM tho.

Who is reliving the past victories? You are assuming "many other losses" after this win. Again, why when we beat them 9 games into the season, while they are ranked #4 in the College Football Playoff Poll, as a 2 touchdown underdog, would it matter where they finish? Many of the people who want to get rid of Mullen use this lame argument when they claim we didn't take advantage of that ranking. Really it's just a pitiful attempt to make an unconvincing argument, to try to lessen some of our team and coaches' success. Why are you even a fan? You don't have to answer that, I don't want to know.

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Who is reliving the past victories? You are assuming "many other losses" after this win. Again, why when we beat them 9 games into the season, while they are ranked #4 in the College Football Playoff Poll, as a 2 touchdown underdog, would it matter where they finish? Many of the people who want to get rid of Mullen use this lame argument when they claim we didn't take advantage of that ranking. Really it's just a pitiful attempt to make an unconvincing argument, to try to lessen some of our team and coaches' success. Why are you even a fan? You don't have to answer that, I don't want to know.

Whatever. Will the mantra now change from "#1 for 5 weeks in 2014" and "19 wins in 2 years" to "we beat #4 in the country in 2016". I don't have an agenda. I do like to see us look like a respectable SEC football team tho ... and yesterday we did. I'd like to see us keep it up and I'm somewhat hopeful it will (with exception of next week; Bama makes most everyone look bad).

If we can play like yesterday against our last 2 foes I may move from somewhat hopeful to cautiously optimistic haha.

If we go back to looking like we have been looking against our last 2 foes then ...

chainedup_Dawg
11-06-2016, 12:25 PM
It doesn't matter where they end up, it only matters where they are when you beat them. Naturally, every team that loses is going to drop. So by your logic, yesterday you'd say we beat the #4 team in the country then when the new rankings come out this week you'll say we beat the #___ team? That's stupid. Also, losses affect teams differently. What if it's the loss to us that sends them spiraling? Who cares, we did it to them. They were #4 when we beat them and that's all that matters. Our fans have got to quit cheapening our accomplishments and making apologies

LC Dawg
11-06-2016, 01:20 PM

+1. If you can't enjoy beating the #4 team in the country you probably should just go buy some Bama gear.

Commercecomet24
11-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Every other fanbase in the world takes credit for their big wins except us. We should scream it from the rooftops when these wins take place. We beat 3 top 10 in a row in 2014 and all I hear is well they didn't finish there. Guess what it doesn't matter. Only 5 teams in the history of cfb have done that, lets embrace it. We just beat #4 and I don't care where they finish the season, we beat #4! We need to enjoy these wins and promote them, not down play them!

Maroonthirteen
11-06-2016, 01:48 PM
There was a graphic on tv, stating State hadn't beat a top 10 opponent, while unranked, since Florida 2004.

I was thinking what a dumb game note. How often does ANY school defeat a top 10 team in a down year?

RocketDawg
11-06-2016, 01:52 PM

Doesn't it stand to reason that that Top 10 team isn't going to be Top 10 after they get beat?

A&M will drop from 4 (or 7) to about 15 (or low 20s) because of yesterday's game. Then when they beat the Bears, they'll go up some, but their Top 10 days are over for the year. That doesn't mean we didn't beat a Top 10 team though.

tireddawg
11-06-2016, 02:14 PM

The game wasn't very good & what a fatuous statement.

Bothrops
11-06-2016, 02:38 PM
It's time to treat Bama like an NFL team. Like limiting their incoming personnel the way the draft does. They have gone past ridiculous.

blacklistedbully
11-06-2016, 02:44 PM

No...he is correct. I don't give extra credit for beating a team that was highly-ranked only because the pollsters had it all wrong.

And I've been one of the most optimistic of fans over the years.

blacklistedbully
11-06-2016, 02:49 PM
If we beat a team that ends ranked...even if not as highly ranked as when we beat them, then I give credit. So, if we beat a top ten team, and they end up ranked between 11-17 or so, I'd call that a quality win where we were the reason they got knocked down...not just mistaken pollsters.

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 03:59 PM
If we beat a team that ends ranked...even if not as highly ranked as when we beat them, then I give credit. So, if we beat a top ten team, and they end up ranked between 11-17 or so, I'd call that a quality win where we were the reason they got knocked down...not just mistaken pollsters.

That sums up how I feel about it too.

msstate7
11-06-2016, 04:06 PM
It would suck to have to wait till the final poll comes out to see if we won a big game or not. I just try to enjoy the moment

StoneDawg
11-06-2016, 04:14 PM
They will bitch about anything. I would hate to know these negative people in real life.

blacklistedbully
11-06-2016, 04:21 PM
It would suck to have to wait till the final poll comes out to see if we won a big game or not. I just try to enjoy the moment

Well now you're being silly. Of course we celebrate the win. What we're talking about here is the idea that, once we learn a highly-ranked team was mostly overrated, some still want to consider it a top-ten win at the end of the season. That's a crock.

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Well now you're being silly. Of course we celebrate the win. What we're talking about here is the idea that, once we learn a highly-ranked team was mostly overrated, some still want to consider it a top-ten win at the end of the season. That's a crock.

What really sucks is to ride the emotional roller coaster they are on. I read the game threads ... don't participate much. One minute Fitz ain't good enough to play for a Jr. High team and no one can figure out how he got a scholly, the next he's better than Dak. And there are some that have said both in the same thread.

And they're like that about all our players. I just mostly hammer the coaches. I expect a lot more from $4 mill guys. They defend the 4 mill guys when we're playing like a Jr. High team.

blacklistedbully
11-06-2016, 04:35 PM
What really sucks is to ride the emotional roller coaster they are on. I read the game threads ... don't participate much. One minute Fitz ain't good enough to play for a Jr. High team and no one can figure out how he got a scholly, the next he's better than Dak. And there are some that have said both in the same thread.

And they're like that about all our players. I just mostly hammer the coaches. I expect a lot more from $4 mill guys. They defend the 4 mill guys when we're playing like a Jr. High team.

Yep. Yes..its hard to win at MSU, or any other SEC West school for that matter, so a $4 million salary here should not be considered a promise of SEC Championships, etc. But...but, a $4 million salary should damn sure get us a team that busts its ass and is competitive, even in losses the vast majority of the time.

While its true that sometimes good teams have a real stinker, and lose a game like USA, it should not be in a way that the USA team looks as good or better, and it should NEVER be in the same season that we look so bad in other games, including the win vs UMass. When all those happen in the same year, that is indicative of a coaching staff that has not done anywhere near the job they're being paid to do.

I'm going to be more hopeful this week, and pull for Dan to continue showing he is improving. Win or lose I need to see evidence of good coaching Saturday to remain hopeful.

TUSK
11-06-2016, 04:37 PM
It's time to treat Bama like an NFL team. Like limiting their incoming personnel the way the draft does. They have gone past ridiculous.

Like reduce their skollies to 15-18, or so?

msstate7
11-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Like reduce their skollies to 15-18, or so?

53 man roster**

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm with you on that blacklisted. Waiting to see if the upturn is indeed the case. Won't know for 2 weeks tho. If we look like a Jr. High team against Bama I won't be horribly upset by that this year.

TUSK
11-06-2016, 04:46 PM
53 man roster**

I'd rather just keep the roster as is and just put a touchdown or two on the opponents board to start the game...

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 04:48 PM
I'd rather just keep the roster as is and just put a touchdown or two on the opponents board to start the game...

Give the opponent 6 downs to make a 1st and limit Bama to 3 downs .. or maybe 2 ***

TUSK
11-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Give the opponent 6 downs to make a 1st and limit Bama to 3 downs .. or maybe 2 ***

ooooh, now, you're on to something... OR maybe make Bammer run a 3-3-3 defense....

dawgday166
11-06-2016, 04:54 PM
ooooh, now, you're on to something... OR maybe make Bammer run a 3-3-3 defense....

Maybe do both ha. Gotta get to where you can tire that 3th string D down (which would be 1st string for most teams).

BulldogBear
11-06-2016, 05:48 PM
I like the 0-0-0 defense concept myself.

Tbonewannabe
11-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Please don't start this again. The worst NFL team would absolutely destroy bama... bama gave up 43 points to om. Saban couldn't beat NFL teams with NFL talent. What makes you think he could beat NFL teams with college talent? All 53 players on an NFL roster are professionals that train year round in a system that's so much more intricate than a college system. Hurts would be broken in half after the 1st quarter. Think of manziel's dominance in the sec as a dual threat... he was garbage against pro defenses.

/rant

Saban is basically playing with all 1st round picks where almost everybody else is playing with 2-7 round picks. He has a tremendous advantage over most teams in college.

msstate7
11-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Saban is basically playing with all 1st round picks where almost everybody else is playing with 2-7 round picks. He has a tremendous advantage over most teams in college.
College teams? Yeah. Any NFL team would rape bama. Bama scored 10 points on a college defense last night really with no offense to speak of besides a mobile qb... that wouldn't fly vs a pro team.

QuadrupleOption
11-07-2016, 09:15 AM
Whatever. Will the mantra now change from "#1 for 5 weeks in 2014" and "19 wins in 2 years" to "we beat #4 in the country in 2016". I don't have an agenda. I do like to see us look like a respectable SEC football team tho ... and yesterday we did. I'd like to see us keep it up and I'm somewhat hopeful it will (with exception of next week; Bama makes most everyone look bad).

If we can play like yesterday against our last 2 foes I may move from somewhat hopeful to cautiously optimistic haha.

If we go back to looking like we have been looking against our last 2 foes then ...

Name another time in our football history we were ever ranked #1 and then explain to me and other MSU fans why we shouldn't be proud of that. Then go the **** away.

Liverpooldawg
11-07-2016, 09:18 AM

Yep. It makes no sense. Well, it makes sense in one particular situation.

dawgday166
11-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Name another time in our football history we were ever ranked #1 and then explain to me and other MSU fans why we shouldn't be proud of that. Then go the **** away.

Not saying we shouldn't be proud. I'd sorta like to end at #1 tho.

Liverpooldawg
11-07-2016, 09:25 AM

So you only put past games behind you when we win. You hold on to the losses for at least 2 years.

Liverpooldawg
11-07-2016, 09:28 AM

Even at Bama the majority of the players on the team will never play in the NFL. Every player on the Cleaveland Browns already has.

Cooterpoot
11-07-2016, 09:52 AM

See, I don't see it that way. Who's to say after we upset a team they don't lose confidence, lose focus after falling out of playoff consideration, we expose something, players get hurt, etc. that affect a season in the long run. This bullshit that top 10 wins don't count until after the season is some garbage only a State fan could create.

Liverpooldawg
11-07-2016, 09:56 AM
See, I don't see it that way. Who's to say after we upset a team they don't lose confidence, lose focus after falling out of playoff consideration, we expose something, players get hurt, etc. that affect a season in the long run. This bullshit that top 10 wins don't count until after the season is some garbage only a State fan could create.
I've heard Confederate Rebels say it about us.

sleepy dawg
11-07-2016, 10:12 AM

You're correct.

By dawgday166 logic, when the #2 team beats the number #1 team in the playoffs, they actually didn't just beat the #1 team to win the championship. They have to wait until the new polls come out to determine who they beat. If that team ends up dropping to like 4th, then how could that team really claim the championship since they didn't actually beat the #1 team to win it. They only beat the #4 team.

blacklistedbully
11-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Why the **** should he go away? You're the one who looks like a jackass here. You're calling for a fellow poster to hit the bricks because he doesn't share your opinion. **** that!

He's got a legit opinion.

smootness
11-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Not saying we shouldn't be proud. I'd sorta like to end at #1 tho.

OH. Good point, I don't think any of the rest of us had ever considered that to be even better than being #1 for 5 weeks during the season.

smootness
11-07-2016, 10:20 AM

You don't change the rules because one team has become better than everyone else. You try to figure out how to compete with them.

blacklistedbully
11-07-2016, 10:31 AM

He has already stated he agreed with me that you celebrate the win when it happens...but if at the end of the year that team is unranked or very lowly ranked, you don't continue to claim it as a top-ten win. However, if that team finishes in the top 15, you claim it as a damn fine win, because in all likelihood it was our defeat of them that dropped them out of the top 10, but they were legitimately good enough to rebound to or maintain a high rank by season's end.

In 2014, we vaulted to #1 based on 3 top-ten wins vs LSU, TAMU & Auburn. By season's end, Auburn was #18, LSU #23, and TAMU unranked. While those were good wins, particularly the LSU and Auburn wins...they were in no way, shape or form top-ten teams that year. They were simply overated.

Each of those teams lost 4 more games in addition to their loss to us. Recognizing that truth does not make us less supportive, nor does it suggest we didn't deserve our ranking. But when you look back at the end...and the end matters because that's when the real winners are determined...we simply cannot logically think of those 3 opponents as being anywhere close to as good as the pollsters originally thought.

Top 10 worthy teams do not lose 5 games. Had those guys gone on to lose just 1, or maybe 2 games, that would be a different story.

msstate7
11-07-2016, 10:43 AM
He has already stated he agreed with me that you celebrate the win when it happens...but if at the end of the year that team is unranked or very lowly ranked, you don't continue to claim it as a top-ten win. However, if that team finishes in the top 15, you claim it as a damn fine win, because in all likelihood it was our defeat of them that dropped them out of the top 10, but they were legitimately good enough to rebound to or maintain a high rank by season's end.

In 2014, we vaulted to #1 based on 3 top-ten wins vs LSU, TAMU & Auburn. By season's end, Auburn was #18, LSU #23, and TAMU unranked. While those were good wins, particularly the LSU and Auburn wins...they were in no way, shape or form top-ten teams that year. They were simply overated.

Each of those teams lost 4 more games in addition to their loss to us. Recognizing that truth does not make us less supportive, nor does it suggest we didn't deserve our ranking. But when you look back at the end...and the end matters because that's when the real winners are determined...we simply cannot logically think of those 3 opponents as being anywhere close to as good as the pollsters originally thought.

Top 10 worthy teams do not lose 5 games. Had those guys gone on to lose just 1, or maybe 2 games, that would be a different story.

Sure those teams went on to lose games, but context matters... the sec west that year had a playoff team and 2 NY6 bowl teams. Every team in the west won at least 7 games that year. Arkansas was the last place west team (2-6)... they lost to 1st place bama 14-13, 2nd place state 17-10, and beat ole miss (3rd place and NY6 team) 30-0. The west was absolutely loaded that year

smootness
11-07-2016, 10:44 AM

Texas A&M beat Auburn on the road, destroyed Arkansas, and was leading Alabama in the 4th quarter. I don't really care where they finish the year, it was a massive win for us and a huge upset. If you want to play semantics and say, 'Well, A&M's only ranked #19 now, so that was just a pretty good win,' then go right ahead. But we already know enough to know that was a great win, regardless of what happens to them from here on out.

And why are State fans so keen on making sure everyone knows we didn't ultimately beat 3 straight top-10 teams in 2014? It was ridiculously fun, and it's incredible to be able to say we hit #1 in the country and won 3 straight games against teams in the top 10. Why even try to add an asterisk to that? Let others try to do that; let's just enjoy it and be proud of it.

blacklistedbully
11-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Texas A&M beat Auburn on the road, destroyed Arkansas, and was leading Alabama in the 4th quarter. I don't really care where they finish the year, it was a massive win for us and a huge upset. If you want to play semantics and say, 'Well, A&M's only ranked #19 now, so that was just a pretty good win,' then go right ahead. But we already know enough to know that was a great win, regardless of what happens to them from here on out.

And why are State fans so keen on making sure everyone knows we didn't ultimately beat 3 straight top-10 teams in 2014? It was ridiculously fun, and it's incredible to be able to say we hit #1 in the country and won 3 straight games against teams in the top 10. Why even try to add an asterisk to that? Let others try to do that; let's just enjoy it and be proud of it.

Who the hell is trying to add an asterisk? I think we deserved our ranking. I enjoyed the hell out of it then...and still enjoy it today. There were no other teams that deserved it more until we lost to Bama...then UNM...then GT.

The argument here isn't what you are thinking. It's really just that its facetious to look back and say we beat 3 top-ten teams...not when those teams finished the way they did. They were good teams...and those were wins we should be proud of. But it's not inaccurate to hold the opinion that we also benefited from the pollsters getting it wrong that year.

That, too does not cheapen our accomplishment relative to others that have achieved high rankings. To be sure, other teams have similarly benefited. It's just the reality...and I don't like seeing one of our fellow Bulldogs getting pilloried because he's stated some facts...and not in a particularly over-the-top negative way.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2016, 12:06 PM
College teams? Yeah. Any NFL team would rape bama. Bama scored 10 points on a college defense last night really with no offense to speak of besides a mobile qb... that wouldn't fly vs a pro team.

Yes, it is stupid to think Bama wins over any NFL team. Bama has great players that wouldn't even make the Browns roster much less better than the entire roster. Saban is a top 5 college coach but average NFL coach.

smootness
11-07-2016, 12:18 PM
Who the hell is trying to add an asterisk? I think we deserved our ranking. I enjoyed the hell out of it then...and still enjoy it today. There were no other teams that deserved it more until we lost to Bama...then UNM...then GT.

The argument here isn't what you are thinking. It's really just that its facetious to look back and say we beat 3 top-ten teams...not when those teams finished the way they did. They were good teams...and those were wins we should be proud of. But it's not inaccurate to hold the opinion that we also benefited from the pollsters getting it wrong that year.

That, too does not cheapen our accomplishment relative to others that have achieved high rankings. To be sure, other teams have similarly benefited. It's just the reality...and I don't like seeing one of our fellow Bulldogs getting pilloried because he's stated some facts...and not in a particularly over-the-top negative way.

dawgday in the first reply to this thread.

I just don't know why it's necessary to even try to correct it. We technically did beat 3 top-10 teams in a row. No, they didn't finish there...but they were there when we played them, so it's not an incorrect statement.

The initial post in this thread was a statistical fact, one that was indeed correct. The first reply to that was nothing more than an attempt to downgrade that stat against State. 'What matters to me is where you end up' is not a fact; again, it is an attempt to downplay the significance of the win Saturday and of that statistic showing recent success relative to history. I just don't understand why we have to do that. If you don't count Saturday's win as a true 'top-10 win,' that's fine. You can think however you like. But why come in here and try to be a buzzkill for State fans who do consider it a top-10 win?

sleepy dawg
11-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Yep. Yes..its hard to win at MSU, or any other SEC West school for that matter, so a $4 million salary here should not be considered a promise of SEC Championships, etc. But...but, a $4 million salary should damn sure get us a team that busts its ass and is competitive, even in losses the vast majority of the time.

While its true that sometimes good teams have a real stinker, and lose a game like USA, it should not be in a way that the USA team looks as good or better, and it should NEVER be in the same season that we look so bad in other games, including the win vs UMass. When all those happen in the same year, that is indicative of a coaching staff that has not done anywhere near the job they're being paid to do.

I'm going to be more hopeful this week, and pull for Dan to continue showing he is improving. Win or lose I need to see evidence of good coaching Saturday to remain hopeful.

Well are we talking about head coaching salary, or the staff? One is making about average for his conference. The other is dead last in salary in it's conference. You get what you pay for, and we aren't paying.

dawgday166
11-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Sure those teams went on to lose games, but context matters... the sec west that year had a playoff team and 2 NY6 bowl teams. Every team in the west won at least 7 games that year. Arkansas was the last place west team (2-6)... they lost to 1st place bama 14-13, 2nd place state 17-10, and beat ole miss (3rd place and NY6 team) 30-0. The west was absolutely loaded that year

Was the West loaded?? I would've bought all that but then the SEC W got pretty much waxed in all bowl games except for TAM & Arky (both played low level big 12 teams). Even mighty Bammer fell. That decreased the value of the wins to me at end of year.

I can see both sides of the argument to some extent. I recall bad losses much more after we look like a bad Jr. High team 2 years removed from the #1 ranking (until this past weekend). Especially when everyone keeps saying the #1 for 5 weeks and 19 over 2 mantra. We've been sliding since. Without Dak last year we may win only 6 or so.

I also have had an issue with Mullen's record against the big 4 coaches, but he moved in a more positive direction this past weekend. We've had opportunities (except for Bama) to beat those teams and we just don't get it done.

I'm still in the somewhat hopeful state.

blacklistedbully
11-07-2016, 12:54 PM
dawgday in the first reply to this thread.

I just don't know why it's necessary to even try to correct it. We technically did beat 3 top-10 teams in a row. No, they didn't finish there...but they were there when we played them, so it's not an incorrect statement.

The initial post in this thread was a statistical fact, one that was indeed correct. The first reply to that was nothing more than an attempt to downgrade that stat against State. 'What matters to me is where you end up' is not a fact; again, it is an attempt to downplay the significance of the win Saturday and of that statistic showing recent success relative to history. I just don't understand why we have to do that. If you don't count Saturday's win as a true 'top-10 win,' that's fine. You can think however you like. But why come in here and try to be a buzzkill for State fans who do consider it a top-10 win?

If TAMU wins the rest of their games, or finishes in the Top 15...I'll consider it a Top 10 win because we'll have been the only reason they did not make the Top 10. If they tank and finish outside the top 15, but still ranked, I'll still consider it a great win...just not a legit top-10 win. If the drop completely out of the rankings, I'll consider it a solid win and still be happy about it and enjoy it.

What is wrong with that?

Cooterpoot
11-07-2016, 01:01 PM
I hope all you guys have time to devalue all the wins of all the other teams in America. Damn, you guys will never find happiness.

blacklistedbully
11-07-2016, 01:15 PM
I hope all you guys have time to devalue all the wins of all the other teams in America. Damn, you guys will never find happiness.

BS. As I said...I'm still thrilled with what we did in 2014, and have acknowledged other teams have benefited from defeating overrated teams as well. And yes...I do also devalue other teams wins over teams that were clearly overrated when everything is said and done. I sure as hell devalued UNM's "moral victory" over FSU. I devalued UNM's win over UGA.

None of that makes me unhappy. I'm happy as hell with those wins. If anybody is unhappy its guys who just can't stand it when some people hold opinions that differ from their own.

smootness
11-07-2016, 01:22 PM
If TAMU wins the rest of their games, or finishes in the Top 15...I'll consider it a Top 10 win because we'll have been the only reason they did not make the Top 10. If they tank and finish outside the top 15, but still ranked, I'll still consider it a great win...just not a legit top-10 win. If the drop completely out of the rankings, I'll consider it a solid win and still be happy about it and enjoy it.

What is wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with it. Like I said, you can think however you want to think. But when a State fan posts a factual statistic that portrays us in a positive light, what is the purpose of coming behind that and immediately trying to downplay it because of that opinion?

Jack Lambert
11-07-2016, 01:33 PM

You can pick your all star team out of the SEC and they would not beat an NFL team.

smootness
11-07-2016, 01:34 PM
You can pick your all star team out of the SEC and they would not beat an NFL team.

True. But to be fair, you just said, 'You can pick Alabama's roster and they would not beat an NFL team.'

Jack Lambert
11-07-2016, 01:38 PM
True. But to be fair, you just said, 'You can pick Alabama's roster and they would not beat an NFL team.'

I think LSU would have some guys as well.