PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen

GTHOM
11-05-2016, 06:09 PM
I'll admit I am hard on Dan and have said I wasnt his biggest fan more than once. But today, he shut all his critics up. He shut the people on this board up including me. But I will gladly eat my crow. Now Im not saying all our problems are solved, A&M didnt play their best full game but they are a good team and we beat them. Period. That effort today can beat Arky and home and OM on the road.

Props to Mullen for backing off and letting his guys coach, he even admitted it himself. Brian Johnson called some offensive plays and Mullen said he let Sirmon do his thing. Just proves whats been said all along, Mullen has more than a hand in the defense. The thing that stood out to me today was that we just made plays, we made some bad plays but the effort was there and some playmakers showed up. Fitzgerald, Aeris Williams, Jeffrey Simmons, Richie Brown, Mark McLaurin. McLaurin gets beat on a TD then comes back and ends the game with a pick. You could see a change in our philosophy. Instead of sitting back on D late in the game when they had to score we played press on their WR's and rushed 4.

Today was a great day to be a Bulldog. BTHO A&M

dawgday166
11-05-2016, 06:55 PM
He earned a reprieve from me, but he still has a ways to go before I get too overly excited. While I'm very, very pleased with the win, one EXTREMELY surprising MAJOR upset doesn't get me turned all the way around. More time is necessary for an accurate assessment.

msstate7
11-05-2016, 07:01 PM
He earned a reprieve from me, but he still has a ways to go before I get too overly excited. While I'm very, very pleased with the win, one EXTREMELY surprising MAJOR upset doesn't get me turned all the way around. More time is necessary for an accurate assessment.

Is 59-40 a big enough sample size or is 4-5 more relevant?

dawgday166
11-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Is 59-40 a big enough sample size or is 4-5 more relevant?

Well ... there's a little more to it than that. Not going to get into all of that today tho.

I've moved to somewhat hopeful. Maybe toward end of season I may move to cautiously optimistic. Very pleased with way we played today tho. Very pleased.

msstate7
11-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Well ... there's a little more to it than that. Not going to get into all of that today tho.

I've moved to somewhat hopeful. Maybe toward end of season I may move to cautiously optimistic. Very pleased with way we played today tho. Very pleased.

I'm very pleased too. If we can get the egg back, this season can be somewhat salvaged

starkvegasdawg
11-05-2016, 07:09 PM
This'll be our luck - he'll finish the season strong and take us to a bowl and we'll all hop on board wanting him to stay and then Sexton will get him a job somewhere else.

GTHOM
11-05-2016, 07:42 PM
This'll be our luck - he'll finish the season strong and take us to a bowl and we'll all hop on board wanting him to stay and then Sexton will get him a job somewhere else.

If we win the Egg and he goes 7-6 I'll wish him the best of luck on his way out if he finds another job

ILOATHEBears
11-05-2016, 07:46 PM

That is my fear as well

lastmajordog
11-05-2016, 07:46 PM
just
bTHOOOM

BB30
11-05-2016, 07:47 PM

If this were to happen it would be best case if he is dead set on leaving than it would have if he had left after 4-8 or we fired him for some reason. I actually hope he sticks around but if he does leave this would be the best possible out and give us the best chance at making a decent hire.

TimberBeast
11-05-2016, 08:07 PM
I'll admit I am hard on Dan and have said I wasnt his biggest fan more than once. But today, he shut all his critics up. He shut the people on this board up including me. But I will gladly eat my crow. Now Im not saying all our problems are solved, A&M didnt play their best full game but they are a good team and we beat them. Period. That effort today can beat Arky and home and OM on the road.

Props to Mullen for backing off and letting his guys coach, he even admitted it himself. Brian Johnson called some offensive plays and Mullen said he let Sirmon do his thing. Just proves whats been said all along, Mullen has more than a hand in the defense. The thing that stood out to me today was that we just made plays, we made some bad plays but the effort was there and some playmakers showed up. Fitzgerald, Aeris Williams, Jeffrey Simmons, Richie Brown, Mark McLaurin. McLaurin gets beat on a TD then comes back and ends the game with a pick. You could see a change in our philosophy. Instead of sitting back on D late in the game when they had to score we played press on their WR's and rushed 4.

Today was a great day to be a Bulldog. BTHO A&M

I just can't understand this line of thinking. We just beat the #4 team in the country, did a lot of good things but still some stupid playcalling too, not to mention the few Holloway carries. We beat A&M but lost to south Alabama, Kentucky, byu. I'm sorry but that pisses me off. Every time you watch or think about the game today, make sure you remember those incredibly stubborn and stupid losses too. Those were all on Mullen, not our players or recruiting.

BB30
11-05-2016, 09:00 PM
I just can't understand this line of thinking. We just beat the #4 team in the country, did a lot of good things but still some stupid playcalling too, not to mention the few Holloway carries. We beat A&M but lost to south Alabama, Kentucky, byu. I'm sorry but that pisses me off. Every time you watch or think about the game today, make sure you remember those incredibly stubborn and stupid losses too. Those were all on Mullen, not our players or recruiting.
No doubt those were on Mullen. I think the line of thinking is that Mullen wouldn't make the changes necessary to improve as a head coach and move forward, it looks as if he is starting to make some of those decisions and come to the realization that some of the things he was doing wasn't working. And it showed today. We can't change what happened in the past all we can do is adapt and improve and move forward. the team and coaches that played and coached today were not the same that lost to USA, byu, etc. they have made a lot of improvements both players and coaches. Is dan perfect, no, am I ready to say he is definitely not the guy for the job, no. If he continues to make changes and adapt accordingly I'll be in his corner. I think the majority of fans just wanted to see him admit some of the stubborn things he was doing was wrong and make changes and we saw that today.

I seen it dawg
11-05-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm happy we won. Hard to get all cartwheels and lollipops though about it with the shit it's taken to get to today.

Commercecomet24
11-05-2016, 09:37 PM
I'm happy we won. Hard to get all cartwheels and lollipops though about it with the shit it's taken to get to today.

Cartwheels and lollipops? That's a new one on me.

I seen it dawg
11-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Been a long day

Goldendawg
11-05-2016, 09:47 PM
My son and I stayed for every play as usual, thru thick and thin. Great win, but it shouldn't take loses to USA, BYU, and Ky to force change. Not running out the clock to end the 1st half cost a TD and continued a problem history of clock mismanagement to end 1st halves. Anyone should know Hollaway is not a feature SEC back and it shouldn't have taken game 9 for Dan to see it either. Play your best players and let DC's run the D. This upset doesn't erase those poor season losses and stubborn decisions. I'll also reserve judgement until after the next 3 games. Hail State!

sandwolf
11-05-2016, 09:51 PM

I had the exact same thought.

If this were to happen it would be best case if he is dead set on leaving than it would have if he had left after 4-8 or we fired him for some reason. I actually hope he sticks around but if he does leave this would be the best possible out and give us the best chance at making a decent hire.

Agreed.

Goldendawg
11-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Dan's alleged wandering eye the last two years remind me of a very good looking 1st girlfriend running around on you. Hard to rebuild trust. Hope the old Dan is back and here to stay if that is really what is best for MSU.