PDA

View Full Version : Of all variables, which has affected our win totals (or lack of)? Long post...

Itsbeenworse
09-01-2013, 10:57 AM
If someone ran a regression analysis I think that the second most correlated variable connected to our inability to win meaningful games would and is lack of a credible passing game. With Relf we had a QB who with some good backs could lead our ground game but against good teams (top 5 or 6 in the SEC) lack of a passing game allowed them to shut us down. After the Michigan game I hoped Relf had developed his passing abilities but looks like Michigan was more of an exception. Before the Mullen years I think this same condition was true too.

We move to Russel who is a passing QB and we still have no credible passing game. Over the span of the last seven losses I'll go as far as saying the ability to produce offense against good teams at meaningful times during a game played played a bigger overall role in those losses than any other variable INCLUDING defensive let downs. Lack of a credible passing attack has been key in these offensive let downs. Offensive ineptitude is demoralizing (look at our message boards today) and we (the message board quarterbacks) are not the ones playing defense. Must really suck to put in the physical effort, take and give the hits and realize after watching time and again your defensive effort will be for naught because your offense can not carry its' weight. If only one coordinator had to go last year we let the wrong one go.

Other defenses have no concern about our ability to complete a pass and they play our running game and shut us out. When is the last time our offense produced when it meant something. We produced three points yesterday while the game was in doubt and I'm too lazy to look it up but I bet our third down conversion rate was no better than three out of a lot.

As I peel the onion back, it's the offense and going deeper it's the passing game. We have a passing QB and Mullen finally got some receivers in and instead of seeing what they've got he wanted to "bring them along slowly" or something to that effect. He's quoted in the CL. Don't know if any of the new receivers are any good but I'd rather find out sooner rather than later. As said by many we are pounding a square peg in a round hole. Reminds me of another staff running Tay Galloway up the gut about 21 straight times against LSU a few years back because ... Only at MSU do coaches abide by the maxim that if you want the same results you've gotten before then keep trying what you tried before.

If you are still reading, thanks. Maybe one year we'll have a balanced offense and a defense comparable to the one I saw play yesterday. My pessimism says that by year end that defense of yesterday will be comparable to last year for many of the reasons I've stated herein.

MarketingBully01
09-01-2013, 11:10 AM
We didn't have a credible passing game because we didnt pass it. Russell was 10/16. The kid only threw 16 passes. We tried to run the ball. Our guys were open. If our attack yesterday would have been to pass the ball to set up the run we would have won. We have a passing attack with Russell. Otherwise, why play him at all???