PDA

View Full Version : Buy/Sell. Bama v LSU is a bigger game for MS people than the Egg Bowl

Maroonthirteen
11-05-2016, 06:00 AM
I buy. I see just as much, maybe more Bama and LSU garb in MS as State/OM.

My FB timeline is Bama hype video, LSU hype video. Roll tide, geuax tigers meme after meme.

However most couldn't find Tuscaloosa or Baton Rogue with the help of Siri. They couldnt name one building on campus. Maybe not even the football stadium.

I don't get the passion for something that a person has no personal connection.

Dawgbite
11-05-2016, 06:15 AM
First of all, you need to be a little more selective deciding whether to accept those friend request. I'll give it a soft buy, people like winners and neither is not OM have given the fans that on a consistent basis. OM has its share of redneck old times there are not forgotten sidewalk fans but probably not as many as Bama. My thoughts have always been that if you pay taxes in a state to support in state schools, why would you want to be a fan of an out of state school unless you went to school there or were a transplant.

RocketDawg
11-05-2016, 06:43 AM

My FB timeline is Bama hype video, LSU hype video. Roll tide, geuax tigers meme after meme.

However most couldn't find Tuscaloosa or Baton Rogue with the help of Siri. They couldnt name one building on campus. Maybe not even the football stadium.

How about major pro teams ... NFL, MLB (look at the Cubs turnout yesterday), NHL, etc.?

But I get your point, and especially as it pertains to Alabama fans, and probably LSU and other top college fans too, but I'm not around them.

msbulldog
11-05-2016, 06:51 AM
Sell

EdDawg
11-05-2016, 07:10 AM
How about major pro teams ... NFL, MLB (look at the Cubs turnout yesterday), NHL, etc.?

But I get your point, and especially as it pertains to Alabama fans, and probably LSU and other top college fans too, but I'm not around them.

Yep, that's why I don't watch professional sports. I'll keep up with how a few players are doing, but I've never really been a big fan of any team.

I just don't care about most things that I don't have a connection to, but if someone is a fan it doesn't bother me. However I can't stand people in MS pulling for Bama and LSU when they have no connection to them.

RC3
11-05-2016, 07:13 AM
No way. Sell sell sell

JohnnyQuid
11-05-2016, 07:21 AM
sell. easily. I might or might not watch that game depending on what else is going on - and for the most part don't care who wins unless it effects us.

I will plan a day around the egg bowl or any state game.

I like pro sports but there's no passion behind any team. I usually pull for our former players or their teams otherwise no tucks given

ShotgunDawg
11-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Big sell.

Your observation is biased towards the moment when Ole Miss and MSU stink and people aren't passionate about either team right now. If both teams had LSU and Bama's records right now, it would be a far far greater deal in Mississippi that this year's LSU Bama game.

Seems like what I'm saying would have been extremely obvious. Did you consider this?

Dawgface
11-05-2016, 07:43 AM
Easy buy in the Meridian area. Probably more AL fans than State/OM combined.

ShotgunDawg
11-05-2016, 07:49 AM
Easy buy in the Meridian area. Probably more AL fans than State/OM combined.

So, your buying the entire premis of an obviously incorrect assumption that pertains to the entire state because you've observed that there are move Bama fans in Meridian than OM or MSU? (I also doubt that's true. Again, teams that are winning are far more vocal and noticeable.)

shoeless joe
11-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Frankly it's about what is easy...just like most everything else. It's easy to pull for a team that already has a history of winning. Being a true die hard fan of state really ain't easy. And folks connection to them is just their connection to the feeling of pride they have when watching them win or talking down to someone because they picked the team that was already good and started rooting for them.

There's quite a few poor, rough, down on their luck, hard working (in some cases), beer drinking, woman cussin, and dog kickin folks in lowndes county that rarely feel pride and joy until that bama fight song starts playin and they give a little wink and a toast of natty light to the Nicky Saban collectors plate sittin on top of their tv.

Maroonthirteen
11-05-2016, 08:07 AM
Frankly it's about what is easy...just like most everything else. It's easy to pull for a team that already has a history of winning. Being a true die hard fan of state really ain't easy. And folks connection to them is just their connection to the feeling of pride they have when watching them win or talking down to someone because they picked the team that was already good and started rooting for them.

There's quite a few poor, rough, down on their luck, hard working (in some cases), beer drinking, woman cussin, and dog kickin folks in lowndes county that rarely feel pride and joy until that bama fight song starts playin and they give a little wink and a toast of natty light to the Nicky Saban collectors plate sittin on top of their tv.

Bravo my man. So true of Lowndes county.

Maroonthirteen
11-05-2016, 08:10 AM
m.

True about pro sports. I have always been a Dallas Cowboys fan. However not near to the degree that I have been a State fan. I'll watch the Cowboys but it hasn't been until this year that I plan my Sunday around their games.

Liverpooldawg
11-05-2016, 08:31 AM

Sell in bulk. I live just a few miles from the Bama line. I'm nearly as close to Tuscaloosa as I am MSU. Despite all the Bammers there are still more MSU and Ole Miss people.

Liverpooldawg
11-05-2016, 08:32 AM

THIS here as well. I think there is maybe one actual Bama grad here.

MafiaDawg
11-05-2016, 08:36 AM
Huh? Huge sell. You base your thoughts on a Facebook feed? It's early in the day but this will be hard to beat as the dumbest thing I read today.

Dawgface
11-05-2016, 08:38 AM
So, your buying the entire premis of an obviously incorrect assumption that pertains to the entire state because you've observed that there are move Bama fans in Meridian than OM or MSU? (I also doubt that's true. Again, teams that are winning are far more vocal and noticeable.)

Did I say entire state?

was21
11-05-2016, 08:50 AM
All depends on where you live. If you live on or close to the state's border, you'll see more of each of those....mostly street fans who are mostly losers in life and just want to identify themselves with winners.

TNDawg35
11-05-2016, 08:58 AM
I live in WTN and hate TN. Cant really stand Memphis either. All I see up here is either UT, which is understandable, or 17in Alabama bullshit. There have been so many people who were UT fans who have now all of a sudden become Bama fans its unreal. Our local wally world even sells more bama shit than UT. My Dad is a die hard LSU fan and I know of a couple other State fans. Thats about it. Oh yea, I know a couple NM people, but they are decent. One is from there and works hard (that kinda man) and the one went to Law school there and totally douchey if you ask me (like loafers with no socks douchey)...

ShotgunDawg
11-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Did I say entire state?

You didn't need to. The original question was in regards to the entire state and you said, "Buy"

Did you not read the question?

scottycameron
11-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Sell and it's not even close. At least not in my parts of the state. Look around right now, Bama and LSU aren't on the radar. I had forgotten they were playing this week until now. Now in orange beach or destin, then yeah it's big I'm sure.

Statefan
11-05-2016, 09:45 AM
In central MS.... biggest sell ever

M.Fillmore
11-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Quantify "bama fan" for me. I know a guy with bama stuff in his office, wears bama shirts, looks down on the lowly Mississippi programs. I asked him about games at Bryant-Denny. He said, "Yeah, I almost went to a bama game once."

So this Bama boy has never seen bama play live. These clowns just want to identify with a winner as a vehicle to look down on others.

Dawgface
11-05-2016, 10:20 AM
You didn't need to. The original question was in regards to the entire state and you said, "Buy"

Did you not read the question?

I read the damn question and answered as to what I'm exposed to. My response...."Easy buy in the Meridian area". I chose not to respond as to entire state. But I understand you enjoy being an ass on here so your comments are not surprising.

BulldogBear
11-05-2016, 10:49 AM
No way. Sell sell sell

This. Sell and retire and never have to do anything gain. It's not even close except in certain localized areas. But the state as a whole? I work with the public and see 10x the Ole Miss apparel AND 10 times the MSU apparel for each Bama and/or LSU gear/flags.

TUSK
11-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Most of you cats are dead on... it's a combination of geographical location and trends among the teams in question...

For the whole state, it's a "sell"... the closer you get to Baton Rouge or TTown and as the disparity between programs increases, it's a "buy"....

...and this is probably too most fanbases in the country.