PDA

View Full Version : Cannizaro stepping into a unique situation

starkvegasdawg
11-04-2016, 10:22 AM
How many times has a new coach come into a new job when the person you are replacing is now you're boss?

Tbonewannabe
11-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Also a first time head coach with Jake Mangum on the roster for 2 years and the Taj Mahal of College Baseball being built.

Duckdog
11-04-2016, 10:37 AM
the fella sure did step into something great at the perfect time. Im pretty pumped about it!

KB21
11-04-2016, 10:38 AM
How many times has a new coach come into a new job when the person you are replacing is now you're boss?

Not often. Four years ago, Chad Holbrook took the South Carolina job with Ray Tanner as the AD.

Barry Alvarez is the AD at Wisconsin, so when he hired Brett Bielema, it was the same situation.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2016, 10:40 AM
It's like Mainieri said, he's taking a job with a lot of pressure.

louisvilledawg
11-04-2016, 10:50 AM
It's like Mainieri said, he's taking a job with a lot of pressure.

"'Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing' - Peyton Manning" - Louisvilledawg

msbulldog
11-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Pressure is what makes great people succeed.

smootness
11-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Not often. Four years ago, Chad Holbrook took the South Carolina job with Ray Tanner as the AD.

Barry Alvarez is the AD at Wisconsin, so when he hired Brett Bielema, it was the same situation.

Both of those were different, though, in that the outgoing HC/incoming AD had already been their boss. Both of those guys had been ACs under the previous coach and were simply promoted.

dawgs
11-04-2016, 03:24 PM

He's also stepping right into a job where he's expected to win big immediately. There's no program building or roster building to be done, if we aren't hosting a regional, this year is going to be viewed as a failure and he's going to immediately be on the hot seat.

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 03:27 PM
He's also stepping right into a job where he's expected to win big immediately. There's no program building or roster building to be done, if we aren't hosting a regional, this year is going to be viewed as a failure and he's going to immediately be on the hot seat.

I don't know about hosting but I think anything other than a two seed in a regional and then I might have cause for pause about the hire.

AusTexDawg
11-04-2016, 04:03 PM
I don't know about hosting but I think anything other than a two seed in a regional and then I might have cause for pause about the hire.

Agreed based on what the expectations for the upcoming season were before the AD/coaching shuffle.

HSVDawg
11-04-2016, 04:27 PM

That is kind of ridiculous. We lost like 90% of the every day players from last year due to the draft or injuries in the Cape Cod. We still have talent, but it is very very young / unproven talent. I personally think a 3 seed in a regional would be a hell of a season next year and is probably our best case scenario. Finishing DFL for the 2nd time in 3 years isn't out of the question, and the same would be true even if Cohen was still the coach. You are very likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

I seen it dawg
11-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Lsu people are now showing butthurt.

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 06:16 PM
That is kind of ridiculous. We lost like 90% of the every day players from last year due to the draft or injuries in the Cape Cod. We still have talent, but it is very very young / unproven talent. I personally think a 3 seed in a regional would be a hell of a season next year and is probably our best case scenario. Finishing DFL for the 2nd time in 3 years isn't out of the question, and the same would be true even if Cohen was still the coach. You are very likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

That may very well be. I like the way the schedule sets up for us though. Even if we are a three seed I wouldn't want him fired or anything like that.

dawgs
11-04-2016, 06:27 PM

If we have a 3 seed roster at this point in cohen's tenure, then maybe we should be celebrating him not being the coach.

Dolphus Raymond
11-04-2016, 06:32 PM
A lot of pressure is an understatement. Being the head baseball coach at MSU, where results are not just expected, but demanded, is not for the faint of heart. He will have the resources to succeed and a fanatic fan-base that will support him as long as he does.

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 06:33 PM
If we have a 3 seed roster at this point in cohen's tenure, then maybe we should be celebrating him not being the coach.

Wasn't the mantra last year that Cohen needed to host or be a strrrrooonnnggg two? Now a three seed is acceptable.

And as well as we have been recruiting I wouldn't be shocked at all of Cannizaro improves it for us.

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 06:35 PM
A lot of pressure is an understatement. Being the head baseball coach at MSU, where results are not just expected, but demanded, is not for the faint of heart. He will have the resources to succeed and a fanatic fan-base that will support him as long as he does.

It definitely goes both ways. You want to play in front of fans that care and draw well. But expectations come with that. Literally the only thing we don't have is a National Title and baseball is extremely difficult to win one in even if you have the best team on paper.

If Cannizaro wins one he will go down as our best coach ever.

HSVDawg
11-04-2016, 07:41 PM

I don't really see it that way. We had a historic number of underclassmen get drafted and left. That includes some like Kruger who we probably expected back. Then we followed that up with a historic number of pitching injuries in summer ball. Can't really blame Cohen or his roster management for either one of those things. In college baseball these days, it is very difficult to be a contender year in and year out with as frequently as the rosters turn over. More and more kids are choosing college since the moneyball craze, but because of that more and more kids are also leaving early from college. You can easily have a Top 10-15 program and still have a 3-seed type year every 4 years or so. And I think if Cohen was still the guy that people should be understanding of those extraordinary circumstances (especially after an SEC title). The big thing is to make sure you make the regionals every year first and foremost. If Cannizaro just gets the 2017 team to the regionals, I'll have no doubt that he is the guy.