PDA

View Full Version : What I'm hearing on all this

lamont
11-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Cohen

Lots of people think Cohen is extremely sharp and is really fit for the AD job. Supposedly he was starting to get bored with coaching- and wanted to move on to another challenge. His wanting to move to some type of administration position was known before all this started with Strick and Fla. On the flip side- some others hate it. Worried about Cohen's personality rubbing some people the wrong way. We'll see

I've also heard that Keenum and Byrne still talk quite often. Byrne has offered some advice on quite a few decisions we have made the last few years. I cant remember State hiring an AD from outside the University in my lifetime- so nothing really new here. Plenty of people got on Strick and some of his decisions because he was a "male cheerleader from Prep", so not sure why so much uproar over this.

Cannizaro

Cohen's 2nd choice after speaking to 1 top national coach who he was 90% sure wouldnt come. Everybody raves about this guy and nobody has said anything negative. This guy has basically been Cohen's top choice to replace him. That says alot to me. Cohen knows how much this hire will be scrutinized because it will be his 1st. This is his guy. I can tell you right now- LSU people arent happy at all about this. And no more bunting in the 1st inning- so I love it.

He's a good hitting coach and a really good recruiter. I'll take that anyday

basedog
11-04-2016, 08:46 AM
+1

Cohen > SS

Jack Lambert
11-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Well the next time we get an 11:00 start time I hope he calls the SEC office and give them one of his famous F Bombs.

Pipedream
11-04-2016, 08:59 AM
It's real simple why there's so much uproar-it's because he has no experience. None. Zero. A lot of this idea that bc Cohen sat in on a few hiring sessions he's all of a sudden an athletic admin. guru. A lot of lawyers sit in on those type meetings too, that doesn't make you qualified. He's not qualified for the position. This has all been one big deck of cards falling exactly how the old money guys want it to. They have this crazy idea that Cohen can reel Mullen in and control him. The next time an AD reels in a football coach at a power 5 school that makes 4X as much as the AD will be the first time.

Could this all work out anyway? Absolutely. That doesn't mean it wasn't handled in the most shit-tastic manor imaginable.

maroonmania
11-04-2016, 09:01 AM
This may all work out great or it may all bomb. Just way more risk than I would like to see us be taking. Byrne and Stricklin had spent their entire careers in athletic administration and now we have Cohen moving from coaching baseball to administration. On the baseball front, we hired Cohen after he had already won an SEC baseball title as a HC at Kentucky of all places and replace him with an LSU hitting coach that apparently has only been coaching for 2 years. Both hires are a big roll of the dice. Hope we don't come up snake eyes.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2016, 09:09 AM
I'll go ahead and predict that Mullen leaves end of the season. The one thing Cohen has, is he's going to push things forward. He's a Steve Jobs type personality in that respect.

shoeless joe
11-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Some of y'all are wanting to have it both ways...just to bitch.

If you wanna say Cohen isn't qualified for AD there may be some merit to that. I personally think he'll be great but I'm a big Cohen guy so my view is somewhat slanted. But there is zero doubt that what he is qualified at is baseball coach and knowing what it takes to be successful at an extraordinarily high level. if he thinks canizzaro is the guy then I'm 100% sure he's more qualified to at least make that decision than any of the folks on here whining about it.

bulldogcountry1
11-04-2016, 09:18 AM
I think most people are upset because of the inexperience. That's very reasonable and objective, so you can't expect people to be dancing in the streets about this. Cohen made two very bold decisions, and it's either going to work great or go over like a bunt after a leadoff double in the 1st inning. I don't see any middle ground here.

msstate7
11-04-2016, 09:22 AM
I think most the uproar is bc we're a really bad football team. We (state fans) have been terrible since USA took us down

Really Clark?
11-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Some of y'all are wanting to have it both ways...just to bitch.

If you wanna say Cohen isn't qualified for AD there may be some merit to that. I personally think he'll be great but I'm a big Cohen guy so my view is somewhat slanted. But there is zero doubt that what he is qualified at is baseball coach and knowing what it takes to be successful at an extraordinarily high level. if he thinks canizzaro is the guy then I'm 100% sure he's more qualified to at least make that decision than any of the folks on here whining about it.

I hear ya. But the percentages of hand picked replacements by previous head coaches who have been very successful doesn't favor you on this. The majority of them are flops or appear as failures to the fanbase. There have been tons of very sharp Elite type of assistant coaches that just never work out as a HC or it takes somewhere else for them to find success. Hopefully it will work out great.

sleepy dawg
11-04-2016, 09:32 AM
I don't think the "uproar" has anything to do with the hire. The "uproar" is for the same reason every other "uproar" occurs.... We (as State fans) can't be happy as a group of fans. If we are happy, we must find something very quickly that will make us unhappy again.

Dawgtini
11-04-2016, 09:48 AM
I think most the uproar is bc we're a really bad football team. We (state fans) have been terrible since USA took us down

+1 for the truth bomb

dawgs
11-04-2016, 10:04 AM
I don't think the "uproar" has anything to do with the hire. The "uproar" is for the same reason every other "uproar" occurs.... We (as State fans) can't be happy as a group of fans. If we are happy, we must find something very quickly that will make us unhappy again.

Oh that's just bullshit. There's 1 sport we can compete for the best coaches in the country and that is baseball.

TBH I'm surprised Cohen would move to the AD role with us expected to compete in baseball this year. I thought he had way too much competitor in him to leave with another CWS push. And as fans, we are built to win this year, so making a change as this juncture in the offseason and bring in a guy that couldn't land tulane's gig is concerning and we are concerned it's going to **** our season up in a year we expected to compete for a national seed and maybe catch fire at the right time finally. I'll say this, if cannizaro underachieved this year, he could be one and done. With the new stadium and boosters having high expectations, I can't imagine he has a long leash and if he struggles, we might jump at the chance to have a real coaching search at the beginning of the offseason instead of at the end of fall practice. Because baseball is the one sport we could get almost any coach in the country to at least listen to our pitch if it wasn't November that we were forced to make a coaching hire.

Original48
11-04-2016, 10:09 AM
My brother who is a big time LSU guy called me last week and said 'please tell me what I'm hearing is not true...y'all are taking Cannizaro??' It almost sounded like he'd rather we had taken Maneiri.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-04-2016, 10:10 AM
My brother who is a big time LSU guy called me last week and said 'please tell me what I'm hearing is not true...y'all are taking Cannizaro??' It almost sounded like he'd rather we had taken Maneiri.

That is the vibe I got from their board too.

Bama_Dawg
11-04-2016, 10:23 AM
I only have one reservation with Cohen being AD now...fund raising. If he can keep that in line, we will be a force to be reckoned with.

The intense b@st@rd wants to win, and will expect that from everyone that reports to him. (this means the football situation will be resolved internally...somehow)

So if your view is, good, bad, or indifferent, of the hire...its done. Let's start pulling this wagon in the direction Cohen wants. If it fails, we all fail..but we do it together. IMO, I don't think it fails.

Something I'll say next Wednesday too...on the political board.

maroonmania
11-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Some of you people's favorite pastime is bitching about the bitching. Does Cohen have an equal or better resume in athletic administration as when we hired Byrne or Stricklin? Pretty obviously no. People want to say "well I know Cohen and I THINK he will make a great AD". Well, fact is, that's all you've got is a thought about it because nobody knows what kind of job he will do as AD because he has spent his whole career as a baseball coach. Same can be said for those on here who say "well I've heard people in coaching circles talk about Canizarro and I THINK he will make a great baseball HC". Well, he has never been a HC before so we will just have to find out but at least he has been coaching baseball, even if for only 2 years. Only people with heavily tinted maroon colored glasses would say that they KNOW both of these are HR hires.

Cary Hudson's little bro
11-04-2016, 10:48 AM
I only have one reservation with Cohen being AD now...fund raising. If he can keep that in line, we will be a force to be reckoned with.

The intense b@st@rd wants to win, and will expect that from everyone that reports to him. (this means the football situation will be resolved internally...somehow)

So if your view is, good, bad, or indifferent, of the hire...its done. Let's start pulling this wagon in the direction Cohen wants. If it fails, we all fail..but we do it together. IMO, I don't think it fails.

My thoughts exactly - I wish Cohen knew some former MLB guys with tons of money*** As an alumni, if I was a cigar boy, I would trust my donation in Cohen's hands bc he wants to win badly

tcdog70
11-04-2016, 10:54 AM
get on board the JC train and quit 17ing bitching. Our baseball program will move on up the ladder and our other programs will have a true Bulldog running them.

fader2103
11-04-2016, 11:03 AM
I think Cohen is going to do a great job. He does have admin. Experience he was already an Associate AD which means he was in on hiring and other meetings. He's a State guy that loves the University that wanted to come to State to be a coach, now AD. Plus he does have his masters in Athletic Administration. I support him 100%

SDDawg
11-04-2016, 11:12 AM
17 Bonner.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-04-2016, 11:20 AM

It's on a small scale, but from his bio:

"Cohen also spearheaded a highly successful fundraising campaign for NSU’s baseball facility, Brown-Stroud Field. The ballpark’s grandstand seating increased from 298 to 1,000. All of those seats and then some were needed on April 18, 2001, when a school-record 4,214 fans watched Cohen’s Demons knock off defending-national champion LSU."

maroonmania
11-04-2016, 11:33 AM
I think Cohen is going to do a great job. He does have admin. Experience he was already an Associate AD which means he was in on hiring and other meetings. He's a State guy that loves the University that wanted to come to State to be a coach, now AD. Plus he does have his masters in Athletic Administration. I support him 100%

The experience part is a bit of a stretch. Apparently, Stricklin was first contacted about the Florida job in June and Cohen was named associate AD in July. Coincidence? I think not. Anyway, Cohen has had all of a whopping 4 months as associate AD.

dawgoneyall
11-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Cohen

Lots of people think Cohen is extremely sharp and is really fit for the AD job. Supposedly he was starting to get bored with coaching- and wanted to move on to another challenge. His wanting to move to some type of administration position was known before all this started with Strick and Fla. On the flip side- some others hate it. Worried about Cohen's personality rubbing some people the wrong way. We'll see

I've also heard that Keenum and Byrne still talk quite often. Byrne has offered some advice on quite a few decisions we have made the last few years. I cant remember State hiring an AD from outside the University in my lifetime- so nothing really new here. Plenty of people got on Strick and some of his decisions because he was a "male cheerleader from Prep", so not sure why so much uproar over this.

Cannizaro

Cohen's 2nd choice after speaking to 1 top national coach who he was 90% sure wouldnt come. Everybody raves about this guy and nobody has said anything negative. This guy has basically been Cohen's top choice to replace him. That says alot to me. Cohen knows how much this hire will be scrutinized because it will be his 1st. This is his guy. I can tell you right now- LSU people arent happy at all about this. And no more bunting in the 1st inning- so I love it.

He's a good hitting coach and a really good recruiter. I'll take that anyday

He "is" extremely sharp. Another level sharp. That is not in question.

HSVDawg
11-04-2016, 12:50 PM
You can't remember us hiring an outside AD in your lifetime? You must have a pretty short memory. Byrne was an outsider and although he was a graduate Stricklin spent a great deal of his career elsewhere. And I think the way he left indicates his being an "MSU guy" was a distant 2nd to his career aspirations and how he viewed the job.

lamont
11-04-2016, 12:53 PM
You can't remember us hiring an outside AD in your lifetime? You must have a pretty short memory. Byrne was an outsider and although he was a graduate Stricklin spent a great deal of his career elsewhere. And I think the way he left indicates his being an "MSU guy" was a distant 2nd to his career aspirations and how he viewed the job.

Byrne and Strick were both employed by Miss State University when they were hired to be AD

ckDOG
11-04-2016, 01:15 PM
I'll be a fan of Cohen as AD the minute he out assholes Mullen and either lights a fire under his ass and forces some changes or runs him out of town bc he refuses to comply. Until then, I think he sucks. Dont bother trying to change my mind.

HSVDawg
11-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Byrne and Strick were both employed by Miss State University when they were hired to be AD

Okay, point taken. However, both spent an overwhelming majority of their careers elsewhere before being promoted. Byrne was only at MSU for like a year before he took over. I don't really consider either of those to be a Templeton situation where we just don't even look for any outside ideas. That does seem to possibly be the case with Cohen, although I'll certainly give Cohen the benefit of the doubt over Templeton on actually performing well until proven otherwise.

PassInterference
11-04-2016, 01:51 PM
I like it. Everybody who knows Cohen with 1st or 2nd hand info says he is very sharp and expects a lot out of his staff. Thumbs up for AD.

There is no doubt baseball is Cohen's baby and I have every reason to believe he is picking a great baseball HC.

DogsofAnarchy
11-04-2016, 02:03 PM
What is our new illustrious AD gonna do when Dan either leaves or can't find a job?

DownwardDawg
11-04-2016, 02:38 PM

^^^This. The season was over for us week one.

yjnkdawg
11-04-2016, 02:44 PM
What is our new illustrious AD gonna do when Dan either leaves or can't find a job?

Hmmm!!! Maybe call you for advice on what to do?

basedog
11-04-2016, 03:37 PM

+1

lastmajordog
11-04-2016, 03:57 PM
Well the next time we get an 11:00 start time I hope he calls the SEC office and give them one of his famous F Bombs.

I’m still laughing!!!!!!!! AS ALWAYS JACK....excellent post....

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 04:04 PM

Probably call Scott. I'm being halfway serious.

Liverpooldawg
11-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Bottom line: We just switched a coach from a non-revinue sport to ad. Much ado about nothing.

DogsofAnarchy
11-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Will that call be before or after you suck him off? I just want to know what frame of mind he will be in when BDD pulls his usual shit? Legit question.

I seen it dawg
11-04-2016, 04:40 PM

This is the consensus. Business partner whose son is a freshman and prob start is pissed. Hurts their program. Helps ours

Liverpooldawg
11-04-2016, 05:32 PM

Maddox

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 06:22 PM
This is the consensus. Business partner whose son is a freshman and prob start is pissed. Hurts their program. Helps ours

Yep I've been told by a couple of players and recruits that Cannizzaro was the responsible for their recent success. The corn dogs aren't happy. Fwiw

IMissJack
11-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Yep I've been told by a couple of players and recruits that Cannizzaro was the responsible for their recent success. The corn dogs aren't happy. Fwiw
Just means when Menari (sp?) steps down, they will take our baseball coach.

nsvltndog
11-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Hopefully our new AD has good contract negotiation skills and will have a clause in Cannizzaro's contract that prevents him from leaving for a job at LSU or Tulane.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 08:22 PM

And what if it doesn't? We will pay just as much, a brand new park coming, fan support. Sorry I'm just not a defeatist type.

bobcat91
11-04-2016, 09:31 PM
What makes me sick, is the MSU "fans" trashing this guy because he wasn't a head coach. They are the same ones that will not name me a current HC that would take the position. And the HC that would are not nearly as good a hire as this.

RougeDawg
11-04-2016, 09:38 PM

Yea. The coonasses know we took their golden goose. Cannizzaro is who turned their offense around. He knows the game and mechanics as well as anyone. I'm actually happy because I fully expect him to teach our players the intricacies of the game and make some beneficial adjustments to swings. Something Cohen never did. We will see an improvement in overall offense, the most dramatic being slugging. We will finally start maximizing and utilizing our talent.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 10:14 PM
What makes me sick, is the MSU "fans" trashing this guy because he wasn't a head coach. They are the same ones that will not name me a current HC that would take the position. And the HC that would are not nearly as good a hire as this.

I personally don't know much about Cannizzaro, other than what I've read. My optimism is based on talking to recruits, recruits dads, travel coaches I know well and guys I've played ball with. They have been to Cannizzaro camps, kids and players been recruited by him, they know him and what he teaches. These are people who know the game and who's opinion I respect and they all 100% agree we are getting a home run hire. Could they all be wrong? Sure, but it ain't freaking likely.

bobcat91
11-04-2016, 10:14 PM
He likes the running game as well. I see us being a good hitting team that pressures the opponents

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 10:16 PM
He likes the running game as well. I see us being a good hitting team that pressures the opponents

Agree 100% on that. I want to see 9 innings of hell on the bases.

defiantdog
11-04-2016, 10:21 PM
I'm glad that we have a legit hitting coach now

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 10:23 PM

That really wouldn't be any different had we hired Manieri to replace McMahon in 2001 and then hired Cohen to replace Manieri whenever LSU got him.

The thing about Cannizaro is he is actual more of a Tulane guy. Bianco is more of a LSU guy than Cannizaro. You just never know what will happen because we can and will pay competitively even with a LSU plus he may just end up loving MSU. Especially if he becomes our Skip Bertman. We may very well lose him to LSU one day but we're going to make it tough on them. And I wouldn't be surprised if we take their pitching coach one day as well. Also- Manieri and Cannizaro sometimes didn't see eye to eye which may not mean anything but if I had to guess I see Manieri recommending O'Connor before Cannizaro in all likelihood.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 10:33 PM
That really wouldn't be any different had we hired Manieri to replace McMahon in 2001 and then hired Cohen to replace Manieri whenever LSU got him.

The thing about Cannizaro is he is actual more of a Tulane guy. Bianco is more of a LSU guy than Cannizaro. You just never know what will happen because we can and will pay competitively even with a LSU plus he may just end up loving MSU. Especially if he becomes our Skip Bertman. We may very well lose him to LSU one day but we're going to make it tough on them. And I wouldn't be surprised if we take their pitching coach one day as well. Also- Manieri and Cannizaro sometimes didn't see eye to eye which may not mean anything but if I had to guess I see Manieri recommending O'Connor before Cannizaro in all likelihood.

Great points, Todd. I think we do get Dunn at some point.

Coursesuper
11-04-2016, 10:39 PM

I spoke with a commitment tonight the new coach called him last night.

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Here are some more thoughts about what I perceive to have been our weaknesses at MSU. And no it's not bunting or hitting- heck we lead the SEC in hitting last year.

1. Cohen was so intense at times I think he would sometimes break our team when things weren't going well. He would try so hard to fix things that he would go over the top. See the year we had the beards and the players got Cohen to relax some. I've heard numerous stories about Lane Burroughs having to calm Cohen down or tell him to stop pushing the team so hard because they were miserable. Cannizaro from what I have heard is also intense- but he is also levelheaded. Hopefully that translates into no 24-30 seasons once every five years.

2. The second big issue I see is we have lost too many signees to the draft. In baseball recruiting that's part of the evaluation process. And yes everyone gets bit by the draft from time to time but we've been bit a good bit lately. I think Cannizaro's connections as a scout will help with that because he has first hand experience on how scouts evaluate and think. He also may be able to get better inside information on recruits and their signability from his former colleagues. Better players means you have a better chance at winning the National Championship.

3. This sort of goes with the above but we have had a hard time getting guys like a Kruger to come back for their senior year. Cannizaro was allegedly so well liked he was able to get some of LSU's guys to come back for their senior year. And no, I don't expect to get a Hunter Renfroe or a Dakota Hudson back for their senior year but if we could keep a Jack Kruger and an Austin Sexton it helps immensely. See Kendall Graveman in 2013 or the plethora of seniors that LSU has had over the years.

And I don't know what Cannizaro's weaknesses as a head coach will be but if he can do what Cohen did and change those three things and on top of that improve our baserunning and add more stolen bases to our offense we should improve a good bit.

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 10:46 PM

I think Henderson is in a weird spot himself right now too. But he's still a good coach and I think someone will pick him up soon. He was fired for not making a regional. Not losing.

I can't see MSU kicking him to the curb right now. But whenever he does leave I see us maybe getting Dunn at that point. Unless Cannizaro blindsides LSU which would earn him major points from me right off the bat.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 10:51 PM
I spoke with a commitment tonight the new coach called him last night.

I heard the same thing from 3 others last night and couple more today. He's definitely not letting any grass grow under him. I like that.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 10:56 PM
I think Henderson is in a weird spot himself right now too. But he's still a good coach and I think someone will pick him up soon. He was fired for not making a regional. Not losing.

I can't see MSU kicking him to the curb right now. But whenever he does leave I see us maybe getting Dunn at that point. Unless Cannizaro blindsides LSU which would earn him major points from me right off the bat.

Agree on Henderson.Dunn has been approached about the job don't know if he's coming or not. Lsu commits dad texted me that if Dunn left his son would be a dawg. We will see how it plays out. I think if that happened Henderson would be re assigned within the baseball program. Interesting and exciting stuff going on.

gravedigger
11-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Oh that's just bullshit. There's 1 sport we can compete for the best coaches in the country and that is baseball.

TBH I'm surprised Cohen would move to the AD role with us expected to compete in baseball this year. I thought he had way too much competitor in him to leave with another CWS push. And as fans, we are built to win this year, so making a change as this juncture in the offseason and bring in a guy that couldn't land tulane's gig is concerning and we are concerned it's going to **** our season up in a year we expected to compete for a national seed and maybe catch fire at the right time finally. I'll say this, if cannizaro underachieved this year, he could be one and done. With the new stadium and boosters having high expectations, I can't imagine he has a long leash and if he struggles, we might jump at the chance to have a real coaching search at the beginning of the offseason instead of at the end of fall practice. Because baseball is the one sport we could get almost any coach in the country to at least listen to our pitch if it wasn't November that we were forced to make a coaching hire.

No, you are the bullshitter here. We can compete for the best coaches in the country in Basketaball, baseball and football as we have proven in who we've hired and how much we've paid. That statement alone makes you a ****ing moron. That you are surprised that a man like Cohen would want to move to the AD role makes you even more of a ****ing moron. He picked a guy who will be the hottest commodity NEXT year. But not now.

I heard this bullshit when Mullen was hired. OH WE HAVE TO HIRE AN EXPERIENCED COACH for the sec. Yea, That wasn't the recipe to equal an unprecedented ranking. Those who will only hire someone with experience in a position get left in the dust. plain and simple. They are followers that will never lead. At some point you have to have faith that the next Saban, Adolf Rupp, or Skip Bertman is waiting to be hired. If you aren't willing to hire him because of experience, you are a dumbass.

get the hell outta here with that baseball snotty attitude. Do something new or remain with the ashes of the past.

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 11:03 PM
Agree on Henderson.Dunn has been approached about the job don't know if he's coming or not. Lsu commits dad texted me that if Dunn left his son would be a dawg. We will see how it plays out. I think if that happened Henderson would be re assigned within the baseball program. Interesting and exciting stuff going on.

Gary Henderson-assistant athletic director. The funny thing to me about this is I think Cohen blindsided Manieri.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Gary Henderson-assistant athletic director. The funny thing to me about this is I think Cohen blindsided Manieri.

And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy could it! I hate that whining manieri. Cannizzaro and Dunn were the reason for his recruiting success, Recruits and parents don't like his arrogant butt,that's another part of the rumblings from tigah land. They know who was doing the heavy lifting. If Dunn leaves too they gonna get the pitchforks and torches after manieri.

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 11:49 PM
And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy could it! I hate that whining manieri. Cannizzaro and Dunn were the reason for his recruiting success, Recruits and parents don't like his arrogant butt,that's another part of the rumblings from tigah land. They know who was doing the heavy lifting. If Dunn leaves too they gonna get the pitchforks and torches after manieri.

If Cannozaro announces Dunn is our pitching coach on Monday it's literally going to be Manieri and the Rally Possum coaching LSU. Unless Cannizaro brings the possum along too.

Here's what I'd like to see in the next year or two with our coaching staff in baseball:

Cohen- coach emeritus/Manieri's Daddy

Cannizaro- head coach hitting coach/baserunning coach
Alan Dunn- pitching coach
Will Coggin- hitting coach Mississippi recruiting specialist
Ed Easley- volunteer assistant coach/catching coach/Memphis recruiting specialist

That would be our best staff since Cohen/Butch/Lane/Mingione

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 11:56 PM
And I just realized this- that staff I put out would have a ton of pro and college experience. Coggin would be the only coach without any pro experience and he's a good coach himself.

Commercecomet24
11-05-2016, 12:06 AM
If Cannozaro announces Dunn is our pitching coach on Monday it's literally going to be Manieri and the Rally Possum coaching LSU. Unless Cannizaro brings the possum along too.

Here's what I'd like to see in the next year or two with our coaching staff in baseball:

Ed Easley- volunteer assistant coach/catching coach/Memphis recruiting specialist

That would be an incredible staff and you may be pretty close there. Cannizzaro, Dunn and coggin are all dynamic recruiters as well. Good lineup there.

gravedigger
11-05-2016, 09:17 AM

Pop a bottle of Dom.

dawgs
11-05-2016, 09:33 AM
No, you are the bullshitter here. We can compete for the best coaches in the country in Basketaball, baseball and football as we have proven in who we've hired and how much we've paid. That statement alone makes you a ****ing moron. That you are surprised that a man like Cohen would want to move to the AD role makes you even more of a ****ing moron. He picked a guy who will be the hottest commodity NEXT year. But not now.

I heard this bullshit when Mullen was hired. OH WE HAVE TO HIRE AN EXPERIENCED COACH for the sec. Yea, That wasn't the recipe to equal an unprecedented ranking. Those who will only hire someone with experience in a position get left in the dust. plain and simple. They are followers that will never lead. At some point you have to have faith that the next Saban, Adolf Rupp, or Skip Bertman is waiting to be hired. If you aren't willing to hire him because of experience, you are a dumbass.

get the hell outta here with that baseball snotty attitude. Do something new or remain with the ashes of the past.

Saban was a HC before lsu and bama hired him. We think of ourselves as being closer to lsu and bama in baseball than to Michigan st in the mid-90s when they hired Saban. Urban Meyer was a HC at bowling green and Utah before Florida. Les miles was a HC before lsu.

Fact is, top tier programs shouldn't have to gamble on unproven commodities, they should be able to pull successful HCs from lower tier programs. The timing of this sucked, so pulling a successful HC was pretty much out of the question, but cannizaro will be on a short leash because if we start a coaching search in the summer, we could absolutely pull a guy with proven success.

msstate7
11-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Saban was a HC before lsu and bama hired him. We think of ourselves as being closer to lsu and bama in baseball than to Michigan st in the mid-90s when they hired Saban. Urban Meyer was a HC at bowling green and Utah before Florida. Les miles was a HC before lsu.

Fact is, top tier programs shouldn't have to gamble on unproven commodities, they should be able to pull successful HCs from lower tier programs. The timing of this sucked, so pulling a successful HC was pretty much out of the question, but cannizaro will be on a short leash because if we start a coaching search in the summer, we could absolutely pull a guy with proven success.

Fsu is a top program and hired jimbo. Your ducks hired chip Kelly

sandjunky
11-05-2016, 10:07 AM

While Ed is one of us, I like coach brown in the VA job right now

JohnnyQuid
11-05-2016, 10:21 AM
I heard the same thing from 3 others last night and couple more today. He's definitely not letting any grass grow under him. I like that.

he's not and that is an aspect I like of hiring a young motivated guy who will bust his ass not just recruiting but all things.

he's unproven yes but he has some pedigree and i think the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm fine with this hire over a guy 50+ that's proven but might only coach another 5 years