PDA

View Full Version : What we can expect from Cannizaro on offense

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 11:10 PM
The first column is LSU?s stats under Cannizaro 2015 and 2016 and the second column is MSU for the 2015 and 2016 seasons. The first number is the 2015 season and the second number is the 2016 season.

LSU AVG .316; .295 AVG .262; .308Dear Old State

HR 23; 46 HR 14; 47

RBI 182; 374 RBI 121; 376

OBP .380; .385 OBP .347; .385

SLG: .447; .422 SLG .362; .446

SB 46; 95 SB 21; 51

SH 17; 36 SH 18; 35

What I think we can take away from this is we can probably expect similar power numbers and production in a typical year. I don?t consider 2015 to be typical for a MSU baseball team. The biggest thing that stands out to me and the biggest change is it looks like we may steal more bases as a team under Cannizaro than Cohen. That would be a very welcome change because I have been begging for that for years. And for those of you who hate bunting- LSU has bunted the exact same amount of times as we have the past two years. So that will likely stay about the same. Welcome to college baseball.

Schultzy
11-03-2016, 11:15 PM
And unless I'm mistaken, didn't we bunt less last year than previously?

Commercecomet24
11-03-2016, 11:18 PM
The first column is LSU?s stats under Cannizaro 2015 and 2016 and the second column is MSU for the 2015 and 2016 seasons. The first number is the 2015 season and the second number is the 2016 season.

LSU AVG .316; .295 AVG .262; .308Dear Old State

HR 23; 46 HR 14; 47

RBI 182; 374 RBI 121; 376

OBP .380; .385 OBP .347; .385

SLG: .447; .422 SLG .362; .446

SB 46; 95 SB 21; 51

SH 17; 36 SH 18; 35

What I think we can take away from this is we can probably expect similar power numbers and production in a typical year. I don?t consider 2015 to be typical for a MSU baseball team. The biggest thing that stands out to me and the biggest change is it looks like we may steal more bases as a team under Cannizaro than Cohen. That would be a very welcome change because I have been begging for that for years. And for those of you who hate bunting- LSU has bunted the exact same amount of times as we have the past two years. So that will likely stay about the same. Welcome to college baseball.

I hope we use the running game more too. It's not just the stolen bases but it's what it does to infielders, catchers and pitchers when they know you're a running team. Infielders may move to early to cover leaving holes, pitchers mechanics change when they face running teams, catchers get antsy. It's so much more than just the stolen base. Its the chaos it creates. I coach my teams to run the bases aggressively and to steal. It's almost like 60 minutes of hell basketball when done right.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 11:38 PM

Actually we bunted more this year than last. Remember when a guy like Robson bunts and he gets a hit it's scored a single not a SH. Some of it is game situation dependent as well. We were behind more in 2015 and that causes you to bunt less. The ball changed and offense increased across the board in 2016 resulting in more runners and therefore more runners to bunt.

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 11:45 PM
I hope we use the running game more too. It's not just the stolen bases but it's what it does to infielders, catchers and pitchers when they know you're a running team. Infielders may move to early to cover leaving holes, pitchers mechanics change when they face running teams, catchers get antsy. It's so much more than just the stolen base. Its the chaos it creates. I coach my teams to run the bases aggressively and to steal. It's almost like 60 minutes of hell basketball when done right.

Exactly. When you add that to the bunting it makes you that much more dangerous. A runner singles and then steals second. You bunt hopefully for a hit and then maybe you get a runner on or worst case scenario a runner on third and one out and that's a good situation to get a run. Cohen didn't run enough in my opinion. And of course you add power to that and those mistakes that your runners cause can turn into doubles and home runs and lots of runs. We did that pretty well last year. You look at the World Series the past two seasons and you can see what the running game can do in the case of the Royals and now the Cubs. If I were our coach, Mangum and Robson would have been wreaking hell all game long for guys like Lowe, Rooker, Kruger, Humphreys and etc. Same with Gridley, Stovall, and LA.

Schultzy
11-03-2016, 11:55 PM
Actually we bunted more this year than last. Remember when a guy like Robson bunts and he gets a hit it's scored a single not a SH. Some of it is game situation dependent as well. We were behind more in 2015 and that causes you to bunt less. The ball changed and offense increased across the board in 2016 resulting in more runners and therefore more runners to bunt.
No, we swung away more in 2016 than in 2015. There was a definite change in philosophy.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 12:03 AM
Exactly. When you add that to the bunting it makes you that much more dangerous. A runner singles and then steals second. You bunt hopefully for a hit and then maybe you get a runner on or worst case scenario a runner on third and one out and that's a good situation to get a run. Cohen didn't run enough in my opinion. And of course you add power to that and those mistakes that your runners cause can turn into doubles and home runs and lots of runs. We did that pretty well last year. You look at the World Series the past two seasons and you can see what the running game can do in the case of the Royals and now the Cubs. If I were our coach, Mangum and Robson would have been wreaking hell all game long for guys like Lowe, Rooker, Kruger, Humphreys and etc. Same with Gridley, Stovall, and LA.

Absofreakinglutely! I'm gonna be honest I get antsy watching games where teams don't run. I was brought up in the run game and I've coached that with my teams. And it's fun!!!! Kris Bryant put on a base running clinic this World Series. He scored 3 important runs because of his base running and he only has average speed. 7.0 60 guy, 4.3 to first, but he put pressure on the Indians defense. The Cubs as a whole ran the bases well and it's what helped win this series! I want to see more of it at State!

Percho
11-04-2016, 12:26 AM

Just to show my age, One of the greatest thrills in baseball was Willie Mays on first base. It just screwed up the other teams game.

And he wasn't even the best but the one I remember.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 12:33 AM
Just to show my age, One of the greatest thrills in baseball was Willie Mays on first base. It just screwed up the other teams game.

And he wasn't even the best but the one I remember.

Willie was the man! He could do everything on the baseball field. Arguably the greatest all around player of all time! I'm 52 and he was a little past his prime for my first remembrances of seeing him play, but I've seen enough of his highlights and read enough to know he was one of baseballs immortals!

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Whitey Herzog and Eddie Stanky were probably the best ever at utilizing the run game. They would run you to death. Heck Whitey won a World Series where the team hit only 40 hrs for the season. Tommy Herr hit third and drive in 100 runs with only 8 hrs cause there were guys on base all the time and stealing second and third!

I seen it dawg
11-04-2016, 07:22 AM
He's an aggressive guy. We will probably be an aggressive offense.

BrunswickDawg
11-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Absofreakinglutely! I'm gonna be honest I get antsy watching games where teams don't run. I was brought up in the run game and I've coached that with my teams. And it's fun!!!! Kris Bryant put on a base running clinic this World Series. He scored 3 important runs because of his base running and he only has average speed. 7.0 60 guy, 4.3 to first, but he put pressure on the Indians defense. The Cubs as a whole ran the bases well and it's what helped win this series! I want to see more of it at State!

You and me both. There was nothing better as a player knowing that you could run at will and there was almost nothing the other team can do to stop you. It totally messed with your opponents head. And it isn't just steals - its letting guys go who have strong base running instincts stretch hits into doubles, or go 1st to 3rd on a tight single. Continually ratcheting up the pressure eventually leads to some errors and some big innings and takes pressure off your power guys.

Tbonewannabe
11-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Willie was the man! He could do everything on the baseball field. Arguably the greatest all around player of all time! I'm 52 and he was a little past his prime for my first remembrances of seeing him play, but I've seen enough of his highlights and read enough to know he was one of baseballs immortals!

I would say it is a toss up between Willie and Mickey Mantle. If Mickey hadn't played drunk half the time then there probably wouldn't be any records that would be reachable by anyone else. Mike Trout is probably the closest thing to either guy in the last 50 years.

Tbonewannabe
11-04-2016, 07:36 AM
If we were able to get Billy Hamilton in school then we probably have a National Title. What that guy is doing is once every 20 years type speed and talent.

BrunswickDawg
11-04-2016, 07:41 AM
I would say it is a toss up between Willie and Mickey Mantle. If Mickey hadn't played drunk half the time then there probably wouldn't be any records that would be reachable by anyone else. Mike Trout is probably the closest thing to either guy in the last 50 years.

You do realize that you are preaching Mickey Mantle to a guy with as username of "Commerce Comet" and the Mick as his avi right???
I'm sure CommerceComet knows allll about Mantle.

I'd actually say that Josh Hamilton may have been the closest to Mantle over the past 30-40 years. I would have loved to have seen what he could have done as a clean 23 year old. I think he would have smashed tons of records.

Tbonewannabe
11-04-2016, 07:57 AM
You do realize that you are preaching Mickey Mantle to a guy with as username of "Commerce Comet" and the Mick as his avi right???

I'd actually say that Josh Hamilton may have been the closest to Mantle over the past 30-40 years. I would have loved to have seen what he could have done as a clean 23 year old. I think he would have smashed tons of records.

LOL, I didn't even pay attention to the username or pic. Josh Hamilton was fantastic in his prime, too bad it took him so long to even get to the league.

Todd4State
11-04-2016, 08:36 AM
No, we swung away more in 2016 than in 2015. There was a definite change in philosophy.

That's not what the stats are saying. It's not as noticeable because we hit better overall and with more power. And you also didn't have a loudmouth poster who doesn't know very much about baseball pointing out every time we square around and how stupid it was.

lamont
11-04-2016, 08:48 AM

we bunted alot early on- then as the season progressed- we started bunting less. Cohen finally adjusted

shoeless joe
11-04-2016, 09:09 AM
That's not what the stats are saying. It's not as noticeable because we hit better overall and with more power. And you also didn't have a loudmouth poster who doesn't know very much about baseball pointing out every time we square around and how stupid it was.

Exactly. We won last year so it must have been cuz we bunted less!!!!!***

louisvilledawg
11-04-2016, 09:20 AM

not to rain on your parade because i completely agree about running more, but don't think Bryant example is great. He was clocked at 20 mph at one point rounding the bases when he went from first to home on the rizzo hit. I wouldn't call that avg speed.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-04-2016, 09:35 AM
What I take away from it is that we need to come up with a better way to post stats. My head hurts now

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 09:49 AM
not to rain on your parade because i completely agree about running more, but don't think Bryant example is great. He was clocked at 20 mph at one point rounding the bases when he went from first to home on the rizzo hit. I wouldn't call that avg speed.

What i meant he's average for a MLB player not to us mere mortals lol.

7.0 sixty 4.3 to first is average MLB speed. It's why he's playing a corner and not ss or centerfield

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 09:52 AM

Agree completely!

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 09:56 AM

You know your stuff, Brunswick, most people don't have a clue on that! Mickey was my first baseball hero. Wish he would've taken better care of himself. I got to meet him once and he was just a regular guy. He signed a bat and ball for me. Pretty cool. Got a bunch of his cards.

Really Clark?
11-04-2016, 09:57 AM

Big difference though with someone who takes longer to reach that top speed going from 1st to home vs a guy who has that explosive first step and is at his top speed very quickly. Bryant is a very smart baserunner and times his opportunities very well.

Tbonewannabe
11-04-2016, 10:09 AM
You know your stuff, Brunswick, most people don't have a clue on that! Mickey was my first baseball hero. Wish he would've taken better care of himself. I got to meet him once and he was just a regular guy. He signed a bat and ball for me. Pretty cool. Got a bunch of his cards.

My favorite baseball card I own is Mickey and Hank Aaron on the same card. Didn't he also step in a drain in the outfield and blow up his knee? Mickey was still amazing but kind of like Bo Jackson in the what if category.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 10:17 AM
My favorite baseball card I own is Mickey and Hank Aaron on the same card. Didn't he also step in a drain in the outfield and blow up his knee? Mickey was still amazing but kind of like Bo Jackson in the what if category.

Yes he did, that was when the knee injury problems started. Happened in the World Series in '51. You absolutely right on the what ifs. Dang shame.

BrunswickDawg
11-04-2016, 10:28 AM

I was obsessed with the '61 Yankees as a kid in the early '80s. Read every book and article about them that I could. I have an autograph of all but 2 guys on that team- Elston Howard and Roger Maris - both had died before I started collecting. I got all of those in person at card shows or by mailing them cards with return envelopes. MLBPA used to publish an address list of former players. You could do that before memorabilia and autographs became a big business.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2016, 11:08 AM
I was obsessed with the '61 Yankees as a kid in the early '80s. Read every book and article about them that I could. I have an autograph of all but 2 guys on that team- Elston Howard and Roger Maris - both had died before I started collecting. I got all of those in person at card shows or by mailing them cards with return envelopes. MLBPA used to publish an address list of former players. You could do that before memorabilia and autographs became a big business.

That's very cool! Love that era of baseball! I been collecting a long time. Great hobby!