PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Rogers on Andy Cannizaro

Todd4State
11-03-2016, 10:38 PM
Andy Cannizaro, LSU: One of the more energetic and elite assistants in college baseball, Cannizaro is a rising star in the industry and would be a very nice fit for the Bulldogs. Cannizaro has done it all. In addition to being a standout player at Tulane, he went on to make the big leagues with the New York Yankees before turning his attention to being a scout for the Yanks for five years. In his two seasons with the Tigers, Cannizaro, a 37-year-old, has established himself quite well, earning a sterling reputation as an elite recruiter and hitting coach. Just last season, the Tigers lost all but one position player, but still managed to finish the year with a .295 batting average. Though there?s risk involved in hiring someone with limited experience at this level, the mere presence of long-time former head coach Gary Henderson would be a perfect fit for Cannizaro and the Bulldogs. For all intents and purposes, Cannizaro is my clear leader in the clubhouse for this job.

BossDawg
11-03-2016, 10:45 PM
This all just seems like more unbelievably lazy crap from the athletic department. I'm aware that Cannizaro might end up being a great head coach, but it looks like our baseball program is big enough that we could've hired a coach with actual head coaching experience. But, as it is....same for the AD search - just lazy crap.

It's almost like I can see Keenum, "I don't have time for this. See if Cohen wants the AD job. He said something earlier about it. I don't feel like negotiating with a big-time baseball coach, either. Just find the hottest assistant you can and let's roll the dice."

God I hate MSU sometimes. All I want to see is just a LITTLE effort.

Schultzy
11-03-2016, 10:56 PM
I like the hire. We are ahead of the game on this one in my opinion; it's much smarter than going after an Auggie Gorrido type in this day and age.

MarketingBully
11-03-2016, 11:01 PM
This all just seems like more unbelievably lazy crap from the athletic department. I'm aware that Cannizaro might end up being a great head coach, but it looks like our baseball program is big enough that we could've hired a coach with actual head coaching experience. But, as it is....same for the AD search - just lazy crap.

It's almost like I can see Keenum, "I don't have time for this. See if Cohen wants the AD job. He said something earlier about it. I don't feel like negotiating with a big-time baseball coach, either. Just find the hottest assistant you can and let's roll the dice."

This has only been said on this board about a billion times ad nauseum. I for one am excited about the changes and think this has a great chance for success. For a long time everyone has said that John Cohen has experience in helping hire coaches and learned a lot from Byrne and Stricklin. He is very organized and disciplined which are traits you want in an AD. He also has a tremendous drive to win and is a big MSU guy which are traits that I think will make him a successful AD.

From what I am reading about Cannizzaro, he sounds like a superstar coach in the making. I for one think he is coming into a great situation with the talent we have and Coach Cohen and Henderson to help him. I am one in the minority of this fan base that think we upgraded in both cases and these are great hires for MSU.

lamont
11-03-2016, 11:03 PM
We could have hired a guy with head coaching experience- but Cohen wanted this guy

Schultzy
11-03-2016, 11:09 PM
We could have hired a guy with head coaching experience- but Cohen wanted this guy

And Cohen is knowledgeable about who is doing well on the recruiting trails, both hires will work out well for us. Surely no one questions Cannizero's baseball knowledge. As you have said before, anyone can win here. And he knows where the players are.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2016, 11:31 PM
This has only been said on this board about a billion times ad nauseum. I for one am excited about the changes and think this has a great chance for success. For a long time everyone has said that John Cohen has experience in helping hire coaches and learned a lot from Byrne and Stricklin. He is very organized and disciplined which are traits you want in an AD. He also has a tremendous drive to win and is a big MSU guy which are traits that I think will make him a successful AD.

From what I am reading about Cannizzaro, he sounds like a superstar coach in the making. I for one think he is coming into a great situation with the talent we have and Coach Cohen and Henderson to help him. I am one in the minority of this fan base that think we upgraded in both cases and these are great hires for MSU.

Great post! I'm with you! Of all the things Cohen is, he's a winner and he's extremely intelligent. Gimme those 2 things and and it's all good. I really think Cannizzaro gonna make us extremely happy if you just give him a chance.

RezDog7
11-03-2016, 11:58 PM

Please by all means go find another school and team to cheer for then because we don't need your kind.

msstatelp1
11-04-2016, 07:24 AM

Hopefully it's a silent majority that feel like you do. I'm with you on feeling like they will prove to be great hires.

PMDawg
11-04-2016, 07:34 AM

sounds like a lazy reaction to the situation...

Tbonewannabe
11-04-2016, 07:43 AM

This is what gives me hope about the hire. It isn't like Strickland made this hire and took the chance. Cohen should know what kind of recruiter the guy is and what he thinks of his coaching ability. Having Cohen and Henderson around will be great for a first time coach. I just hope this isn't a Ron Polk type thing where Cohen still wants to have his influence on the team. It needs to be Cannizzaro's team not Cannizzaro/Cohen but at least it isn't like having Raffo and Polk as a volunteer coach.

Saltydog
11-04-2016, 07:52 AM
NT

Gutter Cobreh
11-04-2016, 07:53 AM

Add me to your list, as I have the same feelings that you do.

Also, the "minority" may not be as small as you're making it out to be.